Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Feb 3rd 2011, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Update on Cyclone Yasi in Queensland

Well as much as there has been devastation and destruction to many, many homes and businesses, thank God there has not been one death reported so far though 2 people have been reported as missing, which given the ferocity of the cyclone is pretty amazing.

I think most people listened to the Government warnings and took shelter in evacuation centres, ie shopping centres, basements, etc.

BTW 3 babies were born in the midst of the storm, one in Cairns shopping centre, the mother said she will NOT be calling the baby girl Yasi.

So I would say that Rosie and Celticspirit's family member are more than likely OK.
Oh, Barb, that is a relief.. Here, the weather is going hot again, as it had been a little cooler. 17 days to go. dontheturner
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 7:59 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
DDL....Would love to hear some udates from you. I know you have a new job but please pop in and update us. You have a lot to contribute to this thread being an American you can give us the view from your point and your OH.

Islandwomen120...How about an update from Frome and what you are doing. Whats the weather like. Must be warmer than here.
I second this TT, nobody should leave this thread who has made it to the other side. And just because we are all of a "certain age" I don't mean this in a spiritual way.

There are so few posting now from the UK and that is understandable because they have made it and are busy getting on with their new lives and don't need to get updates from the UK like we all do living our lives vicariously through them. And of course when we are all over there we will gradually fade away off this thread as our interest will have waned........and new people will come on to replace us as a natural progression.

But DDL and Rosie, please do give us updates on how life is shaping up for you, your words are of value, please believe that, even if you only pop in now and then..........you have both been over in the Uk for such a short time.

You both may have become miffed just recently at comments that hurt or offended you and of course nobody has to be in a place they don't want to be, but you know we cannot please all of the people all of the time.........

Sometimes we will have to agree that we disagree........

Last edited by Beedubya; Feb 3rd 2011 at 8:23 am.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 8:03 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Barb, Dear me - our relationship, was our little secret - now everyone knows, that it also includes you ,too love dontheturner. - to chat sitting in airchairs, would be divine.
You old rogue you LOL!!
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 8:12 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Oh, Barb, that is a relief.. Here, the weather is going hot again, as it had been a little cooler. 17 days to go. dontheturner
The weather here has been a shocker, soooo humid it has been horrible.

But tonight it has turned a little cooler and is quite windy, I know we are a LOOOOOONNNGGGGG way from Cyclone Yasi, but maybe we are getting a little peripheral action? Oh I do hope so.

Give me the cold weather anyday, it is sooo much easier to get warm than it is to get cool.............

22 sleeps for me!!!

Last edited by Beedubya; Feb 3rd 2011 at 8:24 am.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Give me the cold weather anyday, it is sooo much easier to get warm than it is to get cool.............
I think those currently undergoing bitter temperatures and many feet of snow in USA may beg to differ!!!!

But that's what's fun about this forum, people scattered all over the world....

Tina
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

The weather here has been a shocker, soooo humid it has been horrible.

But tonight it has turned a little cooler and is quite windy, I know we are a LOOOOOONNNGGGGG way from Cyclone Yasi, but maybe we are getting a little peripheral action? Oh I do hope so.

22 sleeps for me!!!
Yes- just say, give us a massage my love! dontheturner
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 9:46 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by between two worlds
I think those currently undergoing bitter temperatures and many feet of snow in USA may beg to differ!!!!

But that's what's fun about this forum, people scattered all over the world....

Tina
Think of sitting in a steam room fully clothed, how the hell do you get cool?? Cold shower where you get out and a minute later you are just as hot as when you got in

versus

Cold weather, rug up, heater, warm clothes, hot choc drink, electric blanket, central heating, Ugg boots..........

No competition really........
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the kind words - again, all of you. I am not so much miffed as just not understanding how one person can suddenly turn up out of the blue and change the entire atmosphere of a group of people, and with such absolute vehemence. I can guess at many reasons, and none of them may be correct, and, as I am not a shrink (that great word because I can't spell the right one) I am not even going there. I defended the group in a private message to the most recent irritant, and that just added fuel to the fire. Dunrovin's comments gave me a graceful way out. This HAS become like a chat room, but only since the same recent irritant started posting one liners - look back over the many, many, many pages and you will find wasted space with short questions, and similar short answers. I used to like being on here - it gave a point to my day at times, especially my days wasted in Ipswich, and I still tune in on and off all day now, even if I tend to lurk more than post.I have received a number of private emails, for which I am grateful. And I promise that I will post interesting items when I have them to post!

At the moment life in my side of Frome is still noisy, but not as much in the house any longer as my landlord laid down the law somewhat. (If I did not already tell you, my upstairs neighbour is a guitar playing, alcohol imbibing, falling up the stairs drunk at times, man - who is otherwise quite pleasant! )

This makes my days less fraught, which has coincided with my Pension finally coming into my bank account, both of which occurrences have taken a big bite out of my anxiety. Plus I now know local people, places and events, and finally said to someone yesterday that I now have to dress decently when leaving the flat, as too many people now know my face, and I can't get away with my slobby clothing any longer! Which is a good thing - being known, not having to give up the slobby (comfy) clothes.

Today it is sunny, a sight we have not seen for about a week - it has drizzled, rained or just been a shade off of black (artistic licence here - OK, really dark grey) so having a lighter colour to the sky is great. I shall soon go for a walk. Without an umbrella. Ta ta for now...
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Sentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond repute

So glad you are going to keep posting Islandwoman your post are so interesting and helpful I look forward to reading more about life in Frome.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

SomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really nice

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Thanks for the kind words - again, all of you. I am not so much miffed as just not understanding how one person can suddenly turn up out of the blue and change the entire atmosphere of a group of people, and with such absolute vehemence. I can guess at many reasons, and none of them may be correct, and, as I am not a shrink (that great word because I can't spell the right one) I am not even going there. I defended the group in a private message to the most recent irritant, and that just added fuel to the fire. Dunrovin's comments gave me a graceful way out. This HAS become like a chat room, but only since the same recent irritant started posting one liners - look back over the many, many, many pages and you will find wasted space with short questions, and similar short answers. I used to like being on here - it gave a point to my day at times, especially my days wasted in Ipswich, and I still tune in on and off all day now, even if I tend to lurk more than post.I have received a number of private emails, for which I am grateful. And I promise that I will post interesting items when I have them to post!

At the moment life in my side of Frome is still noisy, but not as much in the house any longer as my landlord laid down the law somewhat. (If I did not already tell you, my upstairs neighbour is a guitar playing, alcohol imbibing, falling up the stairs drunk at times, man - who is otherwise quite pleasant! )

This makes my days less fraught, which has coincided with my Pension finally coming into my bank account, both of which occurrences have taken a big bite out of my anxiety. Plus I now know local people, places and events, and finally said to someone yesterday that I now have to dress decently when leaving the flat, as too many people now know my face, and I can't get away with my slobby clothing any longer! Which is a good thing - being known, not having to give up the slobby (comfy) clothes.

Today it is sunny, a sight we have not seen for about a week - it has drizzled, rained or just been a shade off of black (artistic licence here - OK, really dark grey) so having a lighter colour to the sky is great. I shall soon go for a walk. Without an umbrella. Ta ta for now...
I was thinking about you last night, after the "tiff", and some of your posts about how quickly you had become involved in some local events and organizations. That's such a good way to become a "local" rather than an outsider wherever you live. I was wondering what happened about your wheelie bin idea??
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

Taffy Duck is an unknown quantity at this point

QUACK! QUACK! QUACK! I agree with Rosie this thread has got too many tangents and losing track. I have decided not to visit too much anymore the whole flavour has all but gone and it's hanging on to a thin thread infact I found myself getting quite disturbed lately. I wish everyone all the best and hope all their dreams come true..

Take care everyone.....Taffy
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 1:39 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear about your neighbour. It's surprising the "little" things we don't expect that can make life back in the UK difficult in the early days, moving from a situation you have become used to and can function in to an unfamiliar situation often with things not under your control (like noisy neighbours).

My first rental when I came back in 2000 was a tenement basement flat in the West End of Glasgow. I immediately started having hay fever/allergy reactions (mould), whch I very quickly realised was because every time it rained the water would rise up to about an inch in the back bedroom, and then on about night #3 I had a very weird dream that I was listening to Neil Diamond (at least I think that's who it was) all night. After about 3 or 4 nights of the same "dream" I realised the upstairs neighbour was actually playng the same Neil Diamond track, repeatedly, at full volume, from about 3 a.m. to 5 a.m. every night! I only escaped temporarily because I had a committee meeting to attend in Lake Tahoe (I know, dirty job but someone had to do it), but when I came back I developed severe bronchitis and within a week I moved to another rental (about 10 doors away on the same street I live now, coincidentally), giving up a 1-month rental penalty (on reflection I should have challenged it through the ombudsman or similar).

It's amazing how my health plummeted in the first 3 weeks and within a few days of moving I felt a lot better.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 1:39 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

So glad you're back - we're counting on you to establish the commune in Frome

I won't tell my husband that people know you so quickly. One thing he has made clear is that he doesn't want to live in a place where everyone knows his business. I think Kendal is about the same size as Frome, so

I come from a little village, so I miss that sense of belonging. Although I always remember my dad being asked how we was settling in by the old guy who ran the local chippy. Not an unusual question until you consider he had been there 18 years at that point
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Glad to hear about your neighbour. It's surprising the "little" things we don't expect that can make life back in the UK difficult in the early days, moving from a situation you have become used to and can function in to an unfamiliar situation often with things not under your control (like noisy neighbours).

My first rental when I came back in 2000 was a tenement basement flat in the West End of Glasgow. I immediately started having hay fever/allergy reactions (mould), whch I very quickly realised was because every time it rained the water would rise up to about an inch in the back bedroom, and then on about night #3 I had a very weird dream that I was listening to Neil Diamond (at least I think that's who it was) all night. After about 3 or 4 nights of the same "dream" I realised the upstairs neighbour was actually playng the same Neil Diamond track, repeatedly, at full volume, from about 3 a.m. to 5 a.m. every night! I only escaped temporarily because I had a committee meeting to attend in Lake Tahoe (I know, dirty job but someone had to do it), but when I came back I developed severe bronchitis and within a week I moved to another rental (about 10 doors away on the same street I live now, coincidentally), giving up a 1-month rental penalty (on reflection I should have challenged it through the ombudsman or similar).

It's amazing how my health plummeted in the first 3 weeks and within a few days of moving I felt a lot better.
Mould is a terrible problem - I am highly allergic. At one point whilst I was a Graduate Instructor in Minnesota, I had to arrange for another teacher to take my classes into the local University Art Gallery as there was mould in there - had been for years, never fixed the problem. I have been made ill, and was off work for 3 weeks at one time - not to be fooled with. I am not in a basement here, on the ground floor in fact, making me level with the street noises. I don't mind the daytime foot traffic, but the night time drunks or revelers (I'll call them that - they may not all be drunk) and the constant vehicular traffic - most of whom apparently do not know there is a speed limit. The first few weeks I wanted to go outside and put tacks on the road - like in American films where the cops put a tire popping barrier across the road to stop the bad guys! (As is evident - I don't know the correct names for some things).

Sally - I am afraid that Frome seems to be a place where you can get known quickly, if you are part of the local events. And I won't mind that, as it will add to my feeling of security - which I do not always have now, in this housing situation. I am way past my 'sell by' date for hanging out in bars, and am working on becoming eccentric, which I consider more interesting that 'an old girl'. I will have to come up with a suitable costume to fit the bill, by the time the Frome Festival rolls around in early July, as I will have to play a part in one of the big events - the Green Fair.

Any thoughts? Decent ones now!
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 3:08 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Think of sitting in a steam room fully clothed, how the hell do you get cool?? Cold shower where you get out and a minute later you are just as hot as when you got in

versus

Cold weather, rug up, heater, warm clothes, hot choc drink, electric blanket, central heating, Ugg boots..........

No competition really........
I completely agree

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.