Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 30th 2011, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by jasper123
Don & Tim,
Not long now, you must be getting very excited, are you ready? have you done everything like tying up every loose end you can think of, and are your cases packed yet, how many cases are you taking each and are you also shipping a lot of stuff over, you probably mentioned this in previous posts but my memory fails me right now,
Take care,
Rodney.
Hello Rodney - Been all packed for three weeks already! This PC is sold, Tim's PC is going to the eldest daughter for future use, (Both going 17th Feb) - last day for me to use them Tim is taking one excess luggage, me I am taking two excess - mostly clothes, But a few tools- only small ones) Given my Whole library (including Lady Chatterley, many Classics, and My Dads Watchmaking books, which he promised to treasure) of over 70 books to my best mate here, - he lived just 3 miles from me, but I only met him once before coming here.(he is making Bagpipes for the King, and teaching playing them - So, as all is taken care of - Phone dissed - Electric and water, have to stay on, for our next door tenants, who then have to pay all bills.Truck is going to ex UK, relative, and we leave here 20th, Air asia 9.45am Internal flight to Bangkok, - cases being taken by family, in our truck, who want to see us off- We leave bangers at midnight , arrive Heathrow 6am on 21st February.(Twelve hour Flight, then alter clocks by seven hours - Daughter has booked big Chaffeured car, to ship us up! Hope to get home by noon -Will speak soon, before this PC closes! regards M8 and all you friends out there - - take care - dontheturner
Old Jan 30th 2011, 12:43 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SomersetGirl
Jackie, so glad to hear all is going well. They say it takes one day per hour of time difference to recover from jet lag, so you should be feeling better soon. Have your Mum and Dad stopped hugging you yet??
I actually find jet lag worse coming back here to Oz than vice versa.........
Old Jan 30th 2011, 12:45 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I'm looking forward to tomatoes.

Do you mean tomatOHs or tomAYtoes

Last edited by Beedubya; Jan 30th 2011 at 1:16 am.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 12:46 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Good Karma that - you wait and see. Well done on the furniture - now you are on the floor like in college days?
Noooo they are not picking up until Feb. 12th my daughter is going to lend me a deluxe camp bed so I can sleep on the floor, so it will only be for one week, I hope these old bones will hold up.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 12:47 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Barb, brilliant news!!!!!!!!
Sorry about the earings though!
Thanks Denise, not long now.

How many weeks until your holiday and how long will you be away for?
Old Jan 30th 2011, 1:06 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Hello Rodney - Been all packed for three weeks already! This PC is sold, Tim's PC is going to the eldest daughter for future use, (Both going 17th Feb) - last day for me to use them Tim is taking one excess luggage, me I am taking two excess - mostly clothes, But a few tools- only small ones) Given my Whole library (including Lady Chatterley, many Classics, and My Dads Watchmaking books, which he promised to treasure) of over 70 books to my best mate here, - he lived just 3 miles from me, but I only met him once before coming here.(he is making Bagpipes for the King, and teaching playing them - So, as all is taken care of - Phone dissed - Electric and water, have to stay on, for our next door tenants, who then have to pay all bills.Truck is going to ex UK, relative, and we leave here 20th, Air asia 9.45am Internal flight to Bangkok, - cases being taken by family, in our truck, who want to see us off- We leave bangers at midnight , arrive Heathrow 6am on 21st February.(Twelve hour Flight, then alter clocks by seven hours - Daughter has booked big Chaffeured car, to ship us up! Hope to get home by noon -Will speak soon, before this PC closes! regards M8 and all you friends out there - - take care - dontheturner

Oooh how organised you are LOL!!!

I still haven't packed a thing, my daughter just left armed with a load of bedding, duvets, pillows, sheets, a big lamp, BIG bag of books, 4 pair of curtains plus rods, 5 massive plant pots and my terracotta elephant from my balcomy () I am giving them my PC and they are buying me an external HD to get all my old stuff off it. I told her to take a look around and get what she wants before the lot goes, so she picked a few things. I have some stuff earmarked for my son and that's as far as I have got.........

My sister said I can pre-send some winter clothes/shoes etc to her address and if the London job comes off she will drive them down for me. As at this stage I will be staying with her daughter and partner in London IF this blimmin' job comes off. OOh I was talking to them on Skype last night and my niece is pregnant with their first baby, they said we have something to tell you and showed me the first scan of the baby.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 1:16 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Noooo they are not picking up until Feb. 12th my daughter is going to lend me a deluxe camp bed so I can sleep on the floor, so it will only be for one week, I hope these old bones will hold up.
You'll be fine, the excitement will stop you sleeping anyway
Old Jan 30th 2011, 1:19 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
You'll be fine, the excitement will stop you sleeping anyway
Yes I know, I am not the best sleeper anyway but my brain starts chattering as soon as I wake up, I have gotten up at 3.30am a few times this week already!!
Old Jan 30th 2011, 1:20 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I still haven't packed a thing, my daughter just left armed with a load of bedding, duvets, pillows, sheets, a big lamp, BIG bag of books, 4 pair of curtains plus rods, 5 massive plant pots and my terracotta elephant from my balcomy () I am giving them my PC and they are buying me an external HD to get all my old stuff off it. I told her to take a look around and get what she wants before the lot goes, so she picked a few things. I have some stuff earmarked for my son and that's as far as I have got.........

My sister said I can pre-send some winter clothes/shoes etc to her address and if the London job comes off she will drive them down for me. As at this stage I will be staying with her daughter and partner in London IF this blimmin' job comes off. OOh I was talking to them on Skype last night and my niece is pregnant with their first baby, they said we have something to tell you and showed me the first scan of the baby.
Aww congrats to your niece on the first baby. if you are staying with them for a little while, you'll be a big help I'm sure. I could have done with help both times the first three or four months I was sick as a dog and could fall asleep standing up, no matter where I was.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

https://mail.google.com/mail/?shva=1...dd3373b164c69b

This is hilarious. Try and download it.

Last edited by cheers; Jan 30th 2011 at 3:25 am.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 6:14 am
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Thanks Denise, not long now.

How many weeks until your holiday and how long will you be away for?
Hey you are going to beat me there now lol x
Old Jan 30th 2011, 6:30 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by cally49
Hey you are going to beat me there now lol x
I know Cally!! Whereabouts are you going to be living/staying, sorry I forgot. How long is it since you were last home?

I don't think you have done a little intro on this thread, in fact I don't believe I have seen you on this, the original thread.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cheers
https://mail.google.com/mail/?shva=1...dd3373b164c69b

This is hilarious. Try and download it.
Cheers! Something amiss - I fear! Just opens my Gmail Account page.? dontheturner
Old Jan 30th 2011, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Barb! Come on, get that memory downloaded onto that HD - Put over 300 Mb, of shots and data onto mine, ready for home! Love dontheturner. good Luck - keep in touch xxx
Old Jan 30th 2011, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Mummy, dunroving, and cheers, between you all you have hit the nail right on the head,
Mummy your memories way back when you started to live in USA, and the car industry bent over backwards to kill the bus business,
And dunroving about the trains, and not being able to get a train straight through from northern Cal to L.A. they stop the train, and then you have to catch the bus for the remainder of the journey,
And Cheers you came up with the sites and all the documentation to prove all the corruption in the Auto industry in U.S. to kill not only the bus systems but the train systems too,
And it all started in the 1920,s --- right in the infancy of motor cars --- talk about sniping it in the bud, they really were very ruthless in those days werent they,
And the comment on there are no sidewalks in a lot of cities and towns to walk on or bycilcle lanes, so it makes us thing from way back the Motor and tire industry really probably had to bribe the city councilors who give the passes out to the road construction companies for the building of new roads, and they set forth the guidelines like no sidewalks here and none there, but we will allow one or two here and there, so everyone gets bribed, great system Huh, Emmmmm makes you think dont it?

Then we have the United Kingdom where you will find at least one train station in every little town or city, and a bus service which is very good or at least adequate, in my town of Pompey we have a great bus service and there are 5 train stations here,

When I was still living in Vegas I often thought how lovely it would be if I could take a fast train from Vegas to L.A. ------ but noooo way we dont have a train station for 245 miles, so you are forced to go by bus which takes forever, or drive you car and deal with all that traffic coming into LA and what a nightmare that is,

Take care ya all, weather here in pompey now brilliant sunshine but quite cold of course, I dont think I will be going down to the beach today,
Me and Mum are having a whole baked chicken --- its in the oven now and roast potatoes and parsnips and brussel sprouts and im cooking dinner today so I better get out to the kitchen and get everything ready,
Rodney.
PS We bought the chicken in Liddles 2 Kilos for £3.99 Emmmm smells good,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.