Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 28th 2011, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by dunroving
Never heard that version before.

The expression originally came to public notice from the movie Ayesha - She Who Must Be Obeyed (movie with Ursula Undress, I think), made from the novel "She" by H Rider Haggard, and known by all grammar school boys who studied English literature.

Haggard's She was wife to no man.
LOVED those movies!
Old Jan 28th 2011, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
English Mum has started up a whole new thread in The Rover's return, it's called "The Bon Voyage" thread.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=702280

First off is Jackie with details of her flight and how to track. Cheers I know you like your webcams, somebody has put a link to the webcam on the Queen Mary, I have been trying to find webcams to Las Vegas airport but can't find one.
Ooohhh!! What's the link to the Queen Mary webcam?
Old Jan 28th 2011, 3:35 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by charleygirl
haha Cheers, but I thought it was tit bits I guess it can be either...

titbit [ˈtɪtˌbɪt] esp US, tidbit
n
1. (Cookery) a tasty small piece of food; dainty
2. a pleasing scrap of anything, such as scandal
I've just remembered that sometimes on a Saturday my mum would call into the local newsagents and buy a copy of "TITBITS" or 'Revielle' magazines:

http://www.comedykings.co.uk/ck-data...ts821023cv.jpg
Old Jan 28th 2011, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
How about $477.70 round trip, Boston-Dublin, including tax 2/13-returning March 3rd?
My God......if I wasn't showing a puppy in NYC.....I would be there. Brilliant fare.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by windsong
Hi everyone:

I've been SO tired when I come home from my new job, all I can do is sleep.. I hope it gets easier soon.

Anyway, I wanted to check in to see how everyone is. Hopefully you are all in good spirits.

Has Ldynlv gone to the UK now? Any news from her yet?
Windsong/Denise Don't know about that, but what part of Brum, were you from? - love dontheturner ( on our forum!- only 24 days tops)

Last edited by dontheturner; Jan 28th 2011 at 4:42 am.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I was watching Househunters International a couple of nights ago. The husband was Norwegian and the wife was American. They had a couple of kids and were relocating to Norway from Kansas City, MO (I think that's Montana?).

Anyway....the wife said that an absolute *must* was to have air conditioning and an waste disposal unit for the kitchen sink.

I thought she was quite mad.....she obviously hadn't bothered to check the Norwegian climate...an *air conditioner* LOL! I think the husband put up with it to have a quiet life and so that she wouldn't veto the move to Norway.

Of course, the houses they viewed had neither of the things she wanted....and they ended up buying a plot of land and building a house. She did mention that they found it very difficult to find a place to buy the air conditioning hardware and the waste disposal unit in Norway....
Too funny! MO is Missouri - think St. Louis, Missouri River, Mississippi River, hot and humid summers. No wonder the poor woman had air conditioning on her mind!
Old Jan 28th 2011, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Sally thanks for the laugh!! Islandwoman just made me spray coke on my key board!
Coal Tit; Crested Tit; Willow Tit; So there.
Bad person! Join Cheers in using the soap to wash out your mouth.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Oh Dear! Little tit, or No Tit ( This is Thailand) dontheturner
Too darn funny - 'No tit'.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by windsong
Hi everyone:

I've been SO tired when I come home from my new job, all I can do is sleep.. I hope it gets easier soon.

Anyway, I wanted to check in to see how everyone is. Hopefully you are all in good spirits.

Has Ldynlv gone to the UK now? Any news from her yet?
Hi Wind: She arrived safely, has been forced to consume vast quantities of tea.. she posted last night. Chin up. Rosie
Old Jan 28th 2011, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Too darn funny - 'No tit'.
I think I have discovered a few more tits. Really hoping we get a variety of tits in our Brixham garden
http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/bird...lies/tits.aspx
Old Jan 28th 2011, 9:12 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighTide
I think I have discovered a few more tits. Really hoping we get a variety of tits in our Brixham garden
http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/bird...lies/tits.aspx
Wow thanks for that, I never saw a bearded tit before.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Rod,
You are maybe out of the loop on modern washers. The front opening washers sell for a premium price because they are far more efficient for cleaning the clothes and the old top loading ones are on the way out (I write like I know what I'm talking about. Forgive me). I thought you knew that.

Cheers
Well if the top loading machines are on the way out all I can say is if they think thats progress there wrong, --- and as far as the front loading machines being more efficient ---- absolute Rubbish, ---- and how do they expect old people or people who can no longer bend down with chronic back problems to be able to get all the way down on there freaking knees practically to load and unload there clothes, --- so obviously when whoever desighned the front loaders did not have these people in mind --- did they,
Old Jan 28th 2011, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

Taffy Duck is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Wow thanks for that, I never saw a bearded tit before.
You people are so funny I was just imagining Benny Hill talking about ( birds and tits ) it would have made a great scene don't you think

cheers....Taffy
Old Jan 28th 2011, 12:51 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Blue tit; Great tit; Black tit. So there.
Birdsong for free

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/promotion...ird-Guide.html
Old Jan 28th 2011, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Englishman..I remember that magazine It is strange how a word can change from being a nothing word to something much different. I have quite a few books with " It was a Gay day" or She was happy and gay they are off course from the 30's and 40's.

Last edited by trottytrue; Jan 28th 2011 at 2:07 pm. Reason: mispelt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.