Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 27th 2011, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I HATE spam LOL!! Oh and tinned corn beef too.
Me too to both
Old Jan 27th 2011, 8:00 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Rodney you are so right about the top loaders being easier!!

And I found it strange too that people have their front loader washing machines and dryers in the kitchen not in a seperate laundry!

My sister was going to bake/make cakes for a living, she got all the government stuff about it, she is very talented at cake decoration. One of the rules was that you can't bake a cake while the washing machine is on, something like that anyway!!
Old Jan 27th 2011, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
You and my teenager Yuck. He likes to slice it and fry it.
We used to shake the can and guess, I always guessed peaches, (wishful thinking )
I like bologne fried and put in a sandwich, but no spam m,amm for me
Old Jan 27th 2011, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
It is titbits, but Americans changed it because of their puritanical streak. Can't say 'tit' out loud!!
Tit, tit, tit by jove I needed that, don't tell me not to say anything out loud

Thanks for the update Cheers about Jackie
Old Jan 27th 2011, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
That was priceless thanks I never saw that one before,
Old Jan 27th 2011, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

Taffy Duck is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Trotty for the poem info...talk about funny when I first arrived in Canada 35 years ago I was at a garden party and I remember seeing a cat running aroud the yard so I decided to call it to me, well you can guess what happened next after I shouted " here pussy pussy come to Taffy" OMG I thought everybody was going to pee their pants I had know idea what I had just said.....

cheers...Taffy
Old Jan 27th 2011, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Taffy Duck.....Yes I remember pussy my children use to say it when we came to the US I had to stop them and trying to explain why they couldnt say it anymore was even funnier. Not unlike the Nun taking me to one side and telling me I should tell my son not to say "can I give out the rubbers" in class.

Cheers...While I dont mind taking the blame for Tit bits....It was little Isobel.. I would probably have said bits and bobs Some of my favourite birds like Barb are blue tits and yellow tits.

Anyone interested in the origins of poems can go to this website:

http://www.famousquotes.me.uk/nurser...ymes_index.htm

Jasper123....Your Mum sound lovely. You must count your blessings everyday. I still have my Dads glasses and his hearing aid from when he died in 1973.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

It is titbits, but Americans changed it because of their puritanical streak. Can't say 'tit' out loud!!
Blue tit; Great tit; Black tit. So there.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
in US i was always used to a top loading machine, so easy and you can open up the lid anytime during wash cycle and check things out or if you forgot something you just open up and bung it in I dont think you can even buy a top loader in UK?
Rodney.
Rod,
You are maybe out of the loop on modern washers. The front opening washers sell for a premium price because they are far more efficient for cleaning the clothes and the old top loading ones are on the way out (I write like I know what I'm talking about. Forgive me). I thought you knew that.

Cheers
Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:08 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Oh Rodney you are so right about the top loaders being easier!!

And I found it strange too that people have their front loader washing machines and dryers in the kitchen not in a seperate laundry!

My sister was going to bake/make cakes for a living, she got all the government stuff about it, she is very talented at cake decoration. One of the rules was that you can't bake a cake while the washing machine is on, something like that anyway!!
I was watching Househunters International, and this young couple were looking at apartments in Paris. They had been renting. One of the stipulations the wife had, was that the laundry would not be in the kitchen. She said she was tired of trying not to get lint on their food!
Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

In England I use to hang out at a friends farm and we referred to the cows tits as teets or quarters so as not to offend anyone.

I think there are words that Americans use in the UK that can bring embarrassment to the Brits. Can't think of any right now.

On the pussy word, Mrs Slocombe use to push it on the TV series "Are you being served" because I think the writers thought it funny for the American audiences. I think I heard it about ten times from her.

There is also the one of the American who went over to a girl friends house and she wasn't home so the next time he sees her she says, "did you try to knock me up last night"?

Well I had better go and wash me mouth out will soap now.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:38 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Blue tit; Great tit; Black tit. So there.
You people are just rebels!
Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:53 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Mallory
I was watching Househunters International, and this young couple were looking at apartments in Paris. They had been renting. One of the stipulations the wife had, was that the laundry would not be in the kitchen. She said she was tired of trying not to get lint on their food!
I was watching Househunters International a couple of nights ago. The husband was Norwegian and the wife was American. They had a couple of kids and were relocating to Norway from Kansas City, MO (I think that's Montana?).

Anyway....the wife said that an absolute *must* was to have air conditioning and an waste disposal unit for the kitchen sink.

I thought she was quite mad.....she obviously hadn't bothered to check the Norwegian climate...an *air conditioner* LOL! I think the husband put up with it to have a quiet life and so that she wouldn't veto the move to Norway.

Of course, the houses they viewed had neither of the things she wanted....and they ended up buying a plot of land and building a house. She did mention that they found it very difficult to find a place to buy the air conditioning hardware and the waste disposal unit in Norway....
Old Jan 27th 2011, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I was watching Househunters International a couple of nights ago. The husband was Norwegian and the wife was American. They had a couple of kids and were relocating to Norway from Kansas City, MO (I think that's Montana?).

Anyway....the wife said that an absolute *must* was to have air conditioning and an waste disposal unit for the kitchen sink.

I thought she was quite mad.....she obviously hadn't bothered to check the Norwegian climate...an *air conditioner* LOL! I think the husband put up with it to have a quiet life and so that she wouldn't veto the move to Norway.

Of course, the houses they viewed had neither of the things she wanted....and they ended up buying a plot of land and building a house. She did mention that they found it very difficult to find a place to buy the air conditioning hardware and the waste disposal unit in Norway....
Old Jan 27th 2011, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Trottytrue, I am not ready for a gender resassignment yet! I'm a Lancashire lass. don't change email no big deal..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.