Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 26th 2011, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Thank you Tina, we have a viewing tomorrow

I have just watched this hilarious clip from 1963 Dinner for One with Freddie Frinton, remember him? A curious thing: the germans show this every year on 31st December on every channel!

A nice way to celebrate a return home too for Jackie!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1v4BYV-YvA
Old Jan 26th 2011, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Wherever I go is going to need a kitchen big enough for a big fridge. Otherwise mine will be the only house in the street with a huge American fridge in the living room.
haha this reminds me of my sister, who was very very excited to show me her knew purchase ( in the kitchen I hasten to add) an AMERICAN FRIDGE! I of course to begin with did not know what the excitement was all about, until my SIL nudged me and whispered in my ear The Fridge.
Yes the regular ones are so small, eggs in the fridge in my house and salad cream but not ketchup.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
haha this reminds me of my sister, who was very very excited to show me her knew purchase ( in the kitchen I hasten to add) an AMERICAN FRIDGE! I of course to begin with did not know what the excitement was all about, until my SIL nudged me and whispered in my ear The Fridge.
Yes the regular ones are so small, eggs in the fridge in my house and salad cream but not ketchup.
The UK I remember was a fridge except maybe 2 days a year when it hit 70 degrees (up north) and then people were fainting all over the place from the 'heat'. This is my memory anyway.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Taffy Duck
Thanks Trotty much appreciated, I don't think I was as naughty as Taffy in the poem didn't fancy a big bump on my head
Strange that. I've been thinking of this in the last few weeks and I was going to quote the little I remember of it but then I thought noooooo.

So here is my question. If we had used another group would they have taken offense? Meaning, knock out the word 'Welshman' and use another group and I think people would jump on you really fast but we Welshmen can take it, right?

Cheers
Old Jan 26th 2011, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jackie, Where are you? You can sleep later.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 9:59 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

My friend in the UK has a really small kitchen and when he had it redone, he decided to splash out on a huge fridge even though he didn't really have room for it. The one he got is twice the size of mine and way too big for the room.

When you go into his kitchen, you have to shimmy round it to get to the sink.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 10:24 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Oh god Rodney, you are so very brave, I look after old people for a job........ I try so hard to get them to part with old cans jars of food etc, but never have any luck, not allowed to sneak it in the trash and def. could do what you are......I think my mum would turf me out..........haha hope mum wasnt to mad.....you are very brave!
Your right about that, the not parting with old food. My Nana (and Dh's grandma both) used to feed us out of the larder when we were little (think 60's and 70's) they were war rations, in cans we didn't know what some of it was till it was opened, no labels
Old Jan 27th 2011, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Rodney, I found in England nobody keeps eggs, sauces or salad cream in the fridge, I suppose they don't have to as the weather doesn't get as hot as we are used to. That's how my family know I am around as all of the above get put in the fridge plus jam, etc. as I go on auto pilot after 30 years living here.

Have you noticed how small the fridges are?
Hi Barb - They are only small if you have no where to put a big 'un! My fridge and freezer are both large , because I have room for them! - Do have alook at Currys web site. Love dontheturner
Old Jan 27th 2011, 1:01 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Strange that. I've been thinking of this in the last few weeks and I was going to quote the little I remember of it but then I thought noooooo.

So here is my question. If we had used another group would they have taken offense? Meaning, knock out the word 'Welshman' and use another group and I think people would jump on you really fast but we Welshmen can take it, right?

Cheers
I can I just roll my eyes and carry on
Old Jan 27th 2011, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

Tanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really nice

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Alright here is the updated list I hope I managed to everyone on the list

HOME AT LAST

Islandwoman.................................Living in Frome Somerset
High Tide......................................In Devon waiting to sign contract on home.
ldyinlv........................................... Left on 25th January 2011 now home
jasper123......................................Hom e with his Mum and getting great foot care
dunroving......... ...........................Scotland for now.
DDL.............................................Lo ndon
aes1............................................ Malta
Bevm........... ...............................Decided to live Dawlish area. Bought a home with a sea view.
magistrate.................................. Devon
callé............................................ now in Cheshire travelled home on the QE 2 with her dogs.
Easterndawn................................Scotlan d.. Husband and doggies joining her and Mac in August
Adelia........................................ UK from Australia
scampicat ................................ UK from Spain
HighSpeedGrandma.........................In Hong Kong but back in UK 2011 in January
alba1 ...........................................Been back for 3 years but struggles wonder how she is doing.
reginac7......................................Took his parrot with him.
J.J............................................... Back in June of 2010 to Norfolk
Adelia..........................................Mo ved back to UK from Australia
Marmalade...................................Moved back 2010 would love to hear from her.
dgjamison...................................Living in Ireland.

NEXT DEPARTURES

Beedubya.....................................In Australia leaving 25th February think.
DontheTurner................................Thaila nd.....19th February to Shropshire

ALMOST HOME

Betweentwoworlds...............Now Living in France but inching her way home.

IN THE WAITING ROOM .

PATM...........................................In Italy hoping to go home soon when house sells.
Boodles.......................................... Canada hoping to go home oct/nov 2011
Mummy in the foothills ..................... Northern California
trottytrue........................................ New England ..waiting for house to sell
wawa.............................................m oving back in a few years with 2 Cats and 1 husband.
Taffy..Old Duck ................................Plans for two years 2011
bithbheo.......................................... .Brisbane planning to go home
Gabbygoeshome..............................going home hopefully to North Dorset October 2011/12
Fulwood........................................pla nning to go home Lancashire lad
Tanto........................................... Trying very hard to get back home and she will make it.
Mallory.......................................Goin g home for a couple of months at a time.
Sentosa..................................... Going home as soon as house sells.
Lorac05......................................Going home as soon as apartment sells in Jersey City.
Charleygirl...................................Goin g home one day soon.
robin1234....................................North ern New York...Moving back in future
stllurnin48.. ................................planning to go home
Elvira.........................................On a big island somewhere not sure if going home but gave plenty of good information
black swan..................................Maybe one day
lucyloo1358................................Hoping to move back 2010 wonder if she/he did.
h20............................................Mov ing from Cyprus
shelley748..................................Hoping to move back to UK from Canada
callowman..................................Hoping to move back in 2011
eastkilbride.................................Went back for holiday 2010 wonder what she decided.
ionaskye....................................Wants to go home, how is she doing...
redbarn99............................... , Hoping to go home.
I like tea....................................Moving back within 3 years.
Victor Meldrew...........................Going home soon
SomersetGirl.............................Canada going home hopefully 2011
Cheers.................................... Waiting for the right moment.
FishandChips.............................Californi a
EnglishMan43............................Thinking about it
Celticspirit.................................In TX making plans.
Windsong.................................Hopes to go home in 2013
quoll........................................Would love to go home but family but cant leave family.
Aviva........................................LA wants to go home
Sallysimmons...........................New York making has plans to go home for holiday this year and then eventually move back..
Derrygirl...................................
Thank you Trotty! Just the encouragement I need, so lovely.
I completely missed Jackie's flight - I can't believe it!!! I was all prepared to track the plane when a friend called who needed help. Goodness, how did the flight go without me tracking it?!
Old Jan 27th 2011, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Your right about that, the not parting with old food. My Nana (and Dh's grandma both) used to feed us out of the larder when we were little (think 60's and 70's) they were war rations, in cans we didn't know what some of it was till it was opened, no labels
Hello Mum, There used to be market stalls, in Walsall & Birmingham selling tins of food, off cheap with no labels, on them. during the War - Smashing, if it happened to be Spam, which I still buy here, 'cos I love it. dontheturner
Old Jan 27th 2011, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Specially for Don:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8huXkSaL7o
Old Jan 27th 2011, 8:46 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
I HATE spam LOL!! Oh and tinned corn beef too.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Rosie, - Thank you -I recall that sketch now, but it is certainly very old. - good to hear it again.

PS - looking forwards to a change, with some Corned Beef, which I have sadly missed, here. Oh! Changed my Avatar.

dontheturner.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

Taffy Duck is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cheers

Cheers

Oh! we can take anything look at the hard time we gave King Eddie the 1st. in the 13th Century until he finally won and wow he gave us all those wonderful castles....thanks again Ed...

cheers...Taffy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.