Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 26th 2011, 9:01 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Yes Barb, I too heard of someone like that, the mother-in-law of a friend. Mother-in-law was English, had lived in US for years but even as an old lady was never really happy, but because of children and grandchildren in US never felt she could go back to England, but always wanted to...my friend her DIL was struck by how this old woman did not feel she belonged anywhere, was not at home in USA, could not get back to real home, was just miserable about it all...

That is when I decided I had to do something or I would be that old lady myself one day.

I think it was soon after hearing about her that I managed to persuade my DH that we should buy a tiny flat in UK so we would have a foothold there, a place where we belonged and could stay (even if we rented it out to short-term lease tenants in between).

This was a hugely important first step and meant a lot to me....

Tina
I hear you Tina, and honestly none of us wants to be that "elderly lady or man" that is stuck wondering what could have been, do they?

My mother in her trips as a Meals on Wheels volunteer met another lady who was Dutch, she had emigrated to Australia with her husband and 2 young children. Her husband died not long after leaving her a widow, then some years later her son died in a motorbike accident, then her daughter married an airline pilot and went to live in Hawaii, and here was this Dutch lady living out here many years later alone in the middle of nowhere with no family left in Holland and living a life where she did not want to live, I think that resonates for so many of us on here and we have to take that window of opportunity when it presents itself and do something about it before it is too late.............

I know my mum goes on and on and on () with her little Australian "stories" but they have stuck in my brain and I HAVE to do this big scary grown up thing before it is too late!
Old Jan 26th 2011, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cheers
Don,

See the posting by Barb #2424. Let me know if you don't find it.

Cheers
Thank you Cheers I saw that threat, and could not get it to work at all. Love Dontheturner
Old Jan 26th 2011, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Taffy Duck is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Woohoo Taffy!! Here's to a quick sale at a good price.
Thanks Barb much appreciated

cheers....Taffy
Old Jan 26th 2011, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

ok I'm up and just in time too
Jackie is 22 miles out and will arrive in 5 minutes. So there.

The town crier

Update: she is at 10,000 feet and decending.

9000 feet. and where is everyone?

Last edited by cheers; Jan 26th 2011 at 12:58 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Morning lol !
Old Jan 26th 2011, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
Morning lol !
Well at least someone else cares.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

ok I'm up and just in time too
Jackie is 22 miles out and will arrive in 5 minutes. So there.

The town crier

Update: she is at 10,000 feet and decending.

9000 feet. and where is everyone?
I was checking the other thread set up for returnees - was unaawre you were announcing it on here .

Hope she landed OK and was through customs with no issues!!
Old Jan 26th 2011, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes thanks so much trotty for all your hard work and trouble getting that list updated, Wow your good,
As I have told you all before my Mum is 91 years old, well since I have been back home these almost 2 months, slowly I have gone through the food storage cabinets in the kitchen, I always do it while she is out for the day somewhere with her friends, she has these great big very deep built in cabinets, and there was so much stuff in there that when you opened the doors stuff would fall out, and when we bought more food she would just try and fit it in there somewhere, nothing was rotated,
a couple of weeks ago I emptied all the stuff out of two big cabinets and went through it all one can or one box or one packet at a time and ----- Im not kidding folks that I found stuff with a sellby date of 2002/03/04/07/08/
Oh my goodness, so I had TO EMPTY ALL THE BOXES PACKETS AND CANS out in bags wash out the cans and bottles, --- you know recycling law --- what a lot of work that was and wiped out the cabinets and put all the fresh good stuff back and the cabinets looked so nice and clean and organised, ---- anyway when Mum came home that day and looked in the cabinets her first reaction was not too pleased at all that I had changed her lifestyle, but she soon came around and although didn't admit it but I m sure she realised it was much better that way,
Now today is another day that Mum is out with her friends so I decided to go through the rest of the cabinets, big deep ones they are too, had to stand on a chair and get right up high and get everything out from the back that I just knew had been there for many many years, and I had stuff piled high on the kitchen table, I started to go through all this stuff, the oldest thing I saw was a large unopened bottle of HP brown sauce, 1998 was the sale by date on this sauce from the past --- any offers
Anyway you get the picture, half of everything that I got out of the cabinets was at least 2 years passed the sell by date, most of it around 4 to 7 years old, so I tossed a lot of stuff away, thank goodness its pick up day tomorrow for the big green wheelie bin, ---- so everything was washed down inside the cabinets, all stuff put back --- same kind of food together, cans neatly stacked on top of each other with the labels facing out so you can actually see what you have just by opening the door, all cookies together in one place, all packets of things together, Anyway Im sure you all get the picture --- the cabinets look so clean and neat and lovely, ---- and (ORGANISED)
But I just hope that Mum when she comes home likes what I have done
Take care ya all,
Rodney.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jasper123
Yes thanks so much trotty for all your hard work and trouble getting that list updated, Wow your good,
As I have told you all before my Mum is 91 years old, well since I have been back home these almost 2 months, slowly I have gone through the food storage cabinets in the kitchen, I always do it while she is out for the day somewhere with her friends, she has these great big very deep built in cabinets, and there was so much stuff in there that when you opened the doors stuff would fall out, and when we bought more food she would just try and fit it in there somewhere, nothing was rotated,
a couple of weeks ago I emptied all the stuff out of two big cabinets and went through it all one can or one box or one packet at a time and ----- Im not kidding folks that I found stuff with a sellby date of 2002/03/04/07/08/
Oh my goodness, so I had TO EMPTY ALL THE BOXES PACKETS AND CANS out in bags wash out the cans and bottles, --- you know recycling law --- what a lot of work that was and wiped out the cabinets and put all the fresh good stuff back and the cabinets looked so nice and clean and organised, ---- anyway when Mum came home that day and looked in the cabinets her first reaction was not too pleased at all that I had changed her lifestyle, but she soon came around and although didn't admit it but I m sure she realised it was much better that way,
Now today is another day that Mum is out with her friends so I decided to go through the rest of the cabinets, big deep ones they are too, had to stand on a chair and get right up high and get everything out from the back that I just knew had been there for many many years, and I had stuff piled high on the kitchen table, I started to go through all this stuff, the oldest thing I saw was a large unopened bottle of HP brown sauce, 1998 was the sale by date on this sauce from the past --- any offers
Anyway you get the picture, half of everything that I got out of the cabinets was at least 2 years passed the sell by date, most of it around 4 to 7 years old, so I tossed a lot of stuff away, thank goodness its pick up day tomorrow for the big green wheelie bin, ---- so everything was washed down inside the cabinets, all stuff put back --- same kind of food together, cans neatly stacked on top of each other with the labels facing out so you can actually see what you have just by opening the door, all cookies together in one place, all packets of things together, Anyway Im sure you all get the picture --- the cabinets look so clean and neat and lovely, ---- and (ORGANISED)
Take care ya all,
Rodney.
Do you have another place to stay?

I have done something similar in the past, turning the labels so they face out, and SWMBO asks if I think this is a grocery store?

My MIL has her big fridge full, full and we are afraid to eat anything because we don't know how long it been there.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 3:10 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Take care ya all,
Rodney.
You are cordially invited to come and visit my house and do the same
I did this job at my Mums in 09 and she had all kinds of expired stuff and food she hated (that her deceased hubby loved) So we tossed the lot. Amazingly she suddenly had lots of kitchen space again.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have another place to stay?

I have done something similar in the past, turning the labels so they face out, and SWMBO asks if I think this is a grocery store?

My MIL has her big fridge full, full and we are afraid to eat anything because we don't know how long it been there.
Hello Cheers,
Oh yes the fridge was another story, that was full with so much stuff, and I went through that right away in the first week --- again while Mum was out,
Most of the stuff was OK though, except for a few things that were maybe just a few weeks past the sell by date, --- they were tossed, but I keep a close eye on the fridge, she didn't know that she had to refrigerate ketchup or chutney or salad cream you know stuff like that, she does now,
I still dont think I will ever be able to get her to refrigerate the eggs oh well so far they havent gone bad,

You know my Mum is one of those ladies that is very clean in everything she does, and she keeps the house spotless, a darn more cleaner then I kept my apartment in Vegas ---- but it was always tidy though,

But well I wonder are a lot of people like that about not bothering to rotate there food and just pack there cabinets full of stuff --- so much stuff that they cant possibly find anything, you know when they get older like our parents generation, 90's & up !!!
Rodney.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 3:24 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

I have a tin of Bird's custard in my pantry that my mum brought to me from England. The last time she was here was in 1990 - she died in 1991. I don't know when she gave it to me though. (I can't find an expiration date - I think it was before that was invented)!! On the top it says it's from The International (grocery store), and the price was 44P. I just prised the lid off, and the paper top is still intact - it's never been used. No one in my house (except me) likes custard, or anything that goes with custard. I can't bear to throw it away because my mum gave it to me!

I can't believe it's over 20 years old!
Old Jan 26th 2011, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Can you imagine how Jackie feels right now, she must be over the moon.

Betweentwoworlds....Yours words really touched me so true the sadness of not being able to just do what we want to do when we want to do it or it just being the wrong time. I do not regret my life, to do that I would have to regret getting married and having my wonderful children (well most of the time) we have spent many happy years together but its just I had a plan and it did not finish the way I wanted it to. Like so many others I am sure. Its so easy to make plans in your mind and see them all blossom but in reality its very different.

Glad you like your room to yourself although very peaceful I could have put PATM in that room as she is in Italy. For me, if I was to get the choice to go into that room Italy or France sound very nice.

Taffy Duck....Changed your name decided Old Duck didnt have the ring of Taffy. Reminds me of the Poem:

Taffy was a Welshman,
Taffy was a thief;
Taffy came to my house
And stole a piece of beef.

I went to Taffy's house,
Taffy was not home;
Taffy came to my house
And stole a mutton bone.

I went to Taffy's house,
Taffy was not in;
Taffy came to my house
And stole a silver pin.

I went to Taffy's house
Taffy was in bed;
I took up a poker
And threw it at his head

Beedubya...So sad when you hear stories like that and thats just one.

Somersetgirl...I printed a copy so I can tick off people when they move from one room to another.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Jasper123...I think a lot of people do not rotate. I dont, when I was cleaning out my pantry I found packages at least 3 to 4 years out of 'sell by date'. I chucked them making sure that my OH didnt see me doing it. He would have thought it was wasteful and I should be more organized. He is very organized. From now on I shall remember to rotate
When we left the UK in 1977 I left a lot of food with my Mother, when we went back for a visit in 1983 she gave my daughter a packet of crackers to eat from 1977. She was very sick. My Mother didnt think there was anything wrong with them. I find a lot of people in the UK do not store things in the fridge. Well my family. When I mention it to them they tell me I am way to fussy.
My mothers fridge was like a minefield of eat at your own risk foods. She thought because it was in the fridge you could keep it forever. Even if she didnt freeze it. Meat sometimes developed that grey look to it but she still cooked it.

Mallory...I understand not wanting to throw the tin of Custard Powder out. Its like part of your Mum. I have boxes of wool that my Mum sent to me over the years but I have never used it. I still cannot get rid of it. Shall have to find another use for it as I really dont much like knitting anymore.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Can you imagine how Jackie feels right now, she must be over the moon.

Betweentwoworlds....Yours words really touched me so true the sadness of not being able to just do what we want to do when we want to do it or it just being the wrong time. I do not regret my life, to do that I would have to regret getting married and having my wonderful children (well most of the time) we have spent many happy years together but its just I had a plan and it did not finish the way I wanted it to. Like so many others I am sure. Its so easy to make plans in your mind and see them all blossom but in reality its very different.

Glad you like your room to yourself although very peaceful I could have put PATM in that room as she is in Italy. For me, if I was to get the choice to go into that room Italy or France sound very nice.

PatM is welcome in my room if she wants to be there! the European stepping-stone (Anna is there too!). But it sounds as if PatM will be going back soon to London...

France is nice, indeed--and so is Italy, I lived there for five years, long ago...

Tina

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.