Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 26th 2011, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

I thought this was the only thread but it looks like it has branched out and no one told me. I can take a hint. I thought it was slow on here now I know why.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cheers
I thought this was the only thread but it looks like it has branched out and no one told me. I can take a hint. I thought it was slow on here now I know why.
Hello Cheers, Have no idea, what you are referring to. Please tell us. Regards, dontheturner
Old Jan 26th 2011, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Hello Cheers, Have no idea, what you are referring to. Please tell us. Regards, dontheturner
This is the only thread I have visited but today I got into Rover returns (Bon Voyage) and 50/60's chitchat and a few others that I didn't know existed.
I must admit some of the threads are from people we are not familiar with but some are the old crowd and I have to admit some kind people on here told me about them.

Now if I can find that thread we are using for the departure of Jackie
2 hours to go.

Last edited by cheers; Jan 26th 2011 at 1:12 am. Reason: updating
Old Jan 26th 2011, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Alright here is the updated list I hope I managed to everyone on the list

HOME AT LAST

Islandwoman.................................Living in Frome Somerset
High Tide......................................In Devon waiting to sign contract on home.
ldyinlv........................................... Left on 25th January 2011 now home
jasper123......................................Hom e with his Mum and getting great foot care
dunroving......... ...........................Scotland for now.
DDL.............................................Lo ndon
aes1............................................ Malta
Bevm........... ...............................Decided to live Dawlish area. Bought a home with a sea view.
magistrate.................................. Devon
callé............................................ now in Cheshire travelled home on the QE 2 with her dogs.
Easterndawn................................Scotlan d.. Husband and doggies joining her and Mac in August
Adelia........................................ UK from Australia
scampicat ................................ UK from Spain
HighSpeedGrandma.........................In Hong Kong but back in UK 2011 in January
alba1 ...........................................Been back for 3 years but struggles wonder how she is doing.
reginac7......................................Took his parrot with him.
J.J............................................... Back in June of 2010 to Norfolk
Adelia..........................................Mo ved back to UK from Australia
Marmalade...................................Moved back 2010 would love to hear from her.
dgjamison...................................Living in Ireland.

NEXT DEPARTURES

Beedubya.....................................In Australia leaving 25th February think.
DontheTurner................................Thaila nd.....19th February to Shropshire

ALMOST HOME

Betweentwoworlds...............Now Living in France but inching her way home.

IN THE WAITING ROOM .

PATM...........................................In Italy hoping to go home soon when house sells.
Boodles.......................................... Canada hoping to go home oct/nov 2011
Mummy in the foothills ..................... Northern California
trottytrue........................................ New England ..waiting for house to sell
wawa.............................................m oving back in a few years with 2 Cats and 1 husband.
Taffy..Old Duck ................................Plans for two years 2011
bithbheo.......................................... .Brisbane planning to go home
Gabbygoeshome..............................going home hopefully to North Dorset October 2011/12
Fulwood........................................pla nning to go home Lancashire lad
Tanto........................................... Trying very hard to get back home and she will make it.
Mallory.......................................Goin g home for a couple of months at a time.
Sentosa..................................... Going home as soon as house sells.
Lorac05......................................Going home as soon as apartment sells in Jersey City.
Charleygirl...................................Goin g home one day soon.
robin1234....................................North ern New York...Moving back in future
stllurnin48.. ................................planning to go home
Elvira.........................................On a big island somewhere not sure if going home but gave plenty of good information
black swan..................................Maybe one day
lucyloo1358................................Hoping to move back 2010 wonder if she/he did.
h20............................................Mov ing from Cyprus
shelley748..................................Hoping to move back to UK from Canada
callowman..................................Hoping to move back in 2011
eastkilbride.................................Went back for holiday 2010 wonder what she decided.
ionaskye....................................Wants to go home, how is she doing...
redbarn99............................... , Hoping to go home.
I like tea....................................Moving back within 3 years.
Victor Meldrew...........................Going home soon
SomersetGirl.............................Canada going home hopefully 2011
Cheers.................................... Waiting for the right moment.
FishandChips.............................Californi a
EnglishMan43............................Thinking about it
Celticspirit.................................In TX making plans.
Windsong.................................Hopes to go home in 2013
quoll........................................Would love to go home but family but cant leave family.
Aviva........................................LA wants to go home
Sallysimmons...........................New York making has plans to go home for holiday this year and then eventually move back..
Derrygirl...................................
Old Jan 26th 2011, 1:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Wow ,Thank you ...great job
Old Jan 26th 2011, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Don,

See the posting by Barb #2424. Let me know if you don't find it.

Cheers
Old Jan 26th 2011, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Trotty for the updated list.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Makes you wonder how many others are out there who are waiting to go home. Making plans or just wishing for it. Sometimes its just not the right time to move, when you have children in school or not enough money. I bet that waiting room has a lot more people in it than we realize.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 1:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
This is the only thread I have visited but today I got into Rover returns (Bon Voyage) and 50/60's chitchat and a few others that I didn't know existed.
I must admit some of the threads are from people we are not familiar with but some are the old crowd and I have to admit some kind people on here told me about them.

Now if I can find that thread we are using for the departure of Jackie
4 hours to go.
This is the thread just set up to track returnees and we've already started the Jackie tracking :

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=702280
Old Jan 26th 2011, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

SomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really nice

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
Wow ,Thank you ...great job
Thanks for all your hard work TT. I've put a copy on my desktop so its easy to refer to.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

When I work through the list I sometimes wonder how many of those on the list will make it home and how many will just never manage it. I have known quite a few who didnt make it and spent the latter years of their lives regretting that they just didnt make that extra effort. When we get older it really does take determination and you need to keep in good health you need it when you are cleaning and packing and moving and not forgetting keeping the brain cells working. Fear of the unknown also becomes a problem for many.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Gabgoeshome, cheers.....Thankyou I just think when others look at the list and see others have done it that can be a great encouragement.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 3:16 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
When I work through the list I sometimes wonder how many of those on the list will make it home and how many will just never manage it. I have known quite a few who didnt make it and spent the latter years of their lives regretting that they just didnt make that extra effort. When we get older it really does take determination and you need to keep in good health you need it when you are cleaning and packing and moving and not forgetting keeping the brain cells working. Fear of the unknown also becomes a problem for many.
Well done with the list TT, and thank you for taking the time and effort, I was quite heartened to see just how many have made it to the other side, it would be lovely if they popped in for an update.

Also re the "waiting room," yes it does make you wonder just how many others are out there reading this thread and not posting, could be hundreds really!!

As scared as I am, I know I have to do this now. I think I have told the story on here of my mother here on holiday helping out with Meals on Wheels many years ago, she still tells the story of the elderly lady living in the middle of nowhere with no family left and she was desparate for my mum to come back and talk about England and all things English, so sad.

I don't want to be that elderly lady in 20 or 30 years time........
Old Jan 26th 2011, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you from me too for doing that list, Trottytrue....a lot of work, bless you.

I have a category all to myself, ha! I like that

You are SO right...one can be in the waiting room for years...children in school and wrong age to move, spouse's job too important, one's own job too important, spouse reluctant, oneself reluctant or afraid, house not selling, and yet through it all the longing just gets worse.....

And yes it DOES take strength and courage and stamina and energy to make the change, especially after many years--so those in the waiting room shouldn't wait too long--if they can help it. Sometimes it's out of our control, of course...

We will probably be in France two years, then I HOPE back in UK for those long chunks of time I dream of.

Even then I do not think it will be a full-time complete move, as I have finally accepted I will always be between two worlds--unless I can persuade all three grown children to live in UK or at least Europe! Daughter is in France as well (different city) at the moment, loves Europe, perhaps will stay! But her older brothers...I don't know. Plus DH is US citizen with few but important family members there.

SO--we will probably be back and forth every year, even after this France thing is over..

But, yes, inching my way back home is how I like to put it, and France is a lovely place to be in the meantime!

Thanks again Trotty. And saving the list to desktop as someone has said, a good idea (no duh. I am so slow about computers!).

Tina
Old Jan 26th 2011, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
As scared as I am, I know I have to do this now. I think I have told the story on here of my mother here on holiday helping out with Meals on Wheels many years ago, she still tells the story of the elderly lady living in the middle of nowhere with no family left and she was desparate for my mum to come back and talk about England and all things English, so sad.

I don't want to be that elderly lady in 20 or 30 years time........
Yes Barb, I too heard of someone like that, the mother-in-law of a friend. Mother-in-law was English, had lived in US for years but even as an old lady was never really happy, but because of children and grandchildren in US never felt she could go back to England, but always wanted to...my friend her DIL was struck by how this old woman did not feel she belonged anywhere, was not at home in USA, could not get back to real home, was just miserable about it all...

That is when I decided I had to do something or I would be that old lady myself one day.

I think it was soon after hearing about her that I managed to persuade my DH that we should buy a tiny flat in UK so we would have a foothold there, a place where we belonged and could stay (even if we rented it out to short-term lease tenants in between).

This was a hugely important first step and meant a lot to me....

Tina

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.