Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 24th 2011, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Boodles
Where do all these bins sit? I can imagine in those small terrace houses not being able to get in and out of your front door.
You are so right about that. The wheelie bins look awful. They were a topic of a local discussion today as they look so ghastly in front of lovely old houses. Useful, needed - but ugly. I came up with a way to disguise them locally, which may or may not be acceptable - but will cost some money to create the hiding place for them - and will let the town council know soon - I have a meeting with them about another matter.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 10:25 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Yes I have heard about those food waste bins, that would never work here in Australia, it was almost 100 F yesterday!! Imagine...........
Thats probably why I'm skeptical, I have to empty our kitchen bin daily in summer and thats when I have the A/C set to 80. I can't imagine having a box of food sitting two weeks in summer. But I suppose if you can keep it out in the yard and the cats don't get it open I don't know to be honest.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 10:26 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
My friend and her mother, I should say 2 of my friends, they are wonderful, and took care of me and helped me through all of my Health drama..without them I dont know what I would have done, so that is gonna be a scene at the airport..
Oh dear theres going to be floods of tears, I'm teary just imagining it.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Thats probably why I'm skeptical, I have to empty our kitchen bin daily in summer and thats when I have the A/C set to 80. I can't imagine having a box of food sitting two weeks in summer. But I suppose if you can keep it out in the yard and the cats don't get it open I don't know to be honest.
I used to put the food scraps in a plastic bag in the freezer, then just put it outside on collection day. Learned that from living in Florida where all sorts of nasty little creatures loved to dig in the trash. Like bugs and possums (ok, the last ones are cute).
Old Jan 24th 2011, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
I used to put the food scraps in a plastic bag in the freezer, then just put it outside on collection day. Learned that from living in Florida where all sorts of nasty little creatures loved to dig in the trash. Like bugs and possums (ok, the last ones are cute).
great idea
Old Jan 24th 2011, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
I thought that this is a new day and we should all get back to what we intended this thread to be a place to welcome friends and help those on there way back home and for those already home to give us inspiration and helpful hints. So with that in mind I had posted below the list of those already home and those trying to get home.

High Tide.........In Devon waiting to sign contract on home.
ldyinlv.................25th January.
jasper123............Home
dunroving......... Scotland
aes1........ Malta
Bevm........... UK
magistrate....... Devon
callé......... Midlands travelled home on the QE 2 with her dogs.
Relocateme...... UK
Easterndawn........Scotland.. Waiting for hubby to join her and doggies has a new puppy. True hardworker and overcame great obstacles.
Adelia.......... UK from Australia
scampicat ..... UK from Spain
HighSpeedGrandma.....In Hong Kong but back in UK 2011 in January ]
alba1 ........Been back for 3 years but struggles wonder how you are doing.
Patzy.......Memphis left in March 2010 hopefully
reginac7...........Took his parrot with him.
J.J.............Back in June of 2010
Adelia........Moved back to UK from Australia
islandwoman120........ In Frome very popular place great posts.
DDL............Moved to Greater London great posts. US Citizen married to British chappie.
between two worlds........moved from Pennsylvania to France
Lothianlad.........Very Young and in Scotland. Gives good information.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Thinking about moving home or in the process.

Beedubya...........On her way back 27th January 2011
Boodles............ Canada going home in a few months.
Mummy in the foothills....... Northern California
trottytrue............New England ..waiting for house to sell
alba1.........
wawa.................moving back in a few years with 2 Cats and 1 husband.
Old Duck .............Plans for two years 2011
bithbheo..............Brisbane planning to go home
fulwood...............planning to go home
robin1234............Northern New York...Moving back in future
stllurnin48......... planning to go home
Elvira................On a big island somewhere not sure if going home but gave plenty of good information
black swan...........Maybe one day
lucyloo1358.........Hoping to move back 2010 Did she make it.
h20.................Moving from Cyprus
shelley748..........Hoping to move back to UK from Canada
callowman.........Hoping to move back in 2011
eastkilbride.........Went back for holiday 2010 wonder what she decided.
ionaskye................Wants to go home, how is she doing...
redbarn99.......... Hoping to go home.
I like tea...............Moving back within 3 years.
Victor Meldrew.........Going home soon
Celticspirit.............Wants to go home.
Charleygirl........... Wants to go home.
Windsong...............Home 2013
sallysimmons........Going to visit again this year with hubby then hopefully home soon.

If I have forgotten anyone who is either home or thinking of going home please let me know and I will update the lists.
Er Ooh ya beauty ( said in my best Lestah accent) how you sort that lot out??
So Don needs to be added Asap!
Fish and Chips wants to go home.
The Lovely Denise 2 in Ireland
Sally wants to go to Kendal or maybe Frome now hahaha
Old Jan 24th 2011, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

That recycle list looks too much like USSR era.
I think I would be inclined to join other Brits and just throw my trash into the street.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jasper123
Oh Don thanks for posting your pic of you and Tim, what a nice looking couple you are, Your time for leaving my friend is drawing near, I bet you cant hardly wait Huh!!!!
Rodney - Thanks for the remarks. - Every day it just takes a little longer to look good! Got a good email yesterday from my daughter ( Christine), I wrote with a shopping list, for us, Iron, Garden dryer, Toaster, things like that - as there is a local sale on. She replied - already all in place - stop worrying, dad, all is waiting.-- even the chauffeur (?) is going to Heathrow the night before and staying in the Travel Lodge - so he will not be stuck in traffic on the M25.

Getting bored now, and can't sleep - as we are all packed. Take Care Rod, and as soon as I have a PC in Swan Gate,, will be in touch, for a meet, maybe with Jackie??? Regards Don & Tim
Old Jan 25th 2011, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Off the subject but on my mind---

NBC News tonight......14 law enforcement officers have been shot and killed on duty so far this year. Today is January 24??? and its already happening that when the police show up and you have a gun you are dead.

I think people are totally frustrated with the politicians cheating on the people and they aren't going to take it anymore. Make it clear I don't think there is any excuse for murder.

There I said it.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

On a more cheerful note.............

Jackie if you can look outside and look at the beautiful sunset! It was done specially for 'ye' to remember America by.

note. there a beautiful red sunset out tonight.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Mmmm seems there are different recycling rules I thought these being older people probably would not drink, phew how wrong can you be!!!! I nearly keeled over from the fumes from the alcohol and the bin was full of whisky, gin, beer bottles and more!!!!
Hi Barb, Should have been around our house, when my second Wife, was brewing beers, and wines! over 70% proof! Had a long row of barrels, with it labelled! used to keep a glass in there, for Private tasting - and she did not drink, so I had to. Beer, Lager, Stout, Canadian Rum, and the strongest of the lot, was Carrot Wine.- More like Licquer took six bottles into work, for my Retirement Party, and the apprentices, had designs, on one of the Younger Girl Storekeepers, and got her tiddly, by saying it was only wine_ Jesus - she ended up on a stretcher! And was taken by ambulance to the Medical Centre! - good job I had finished, or there would have been an enquiry! ( it was ministry of Defence, place!) Take care Gel - dontheturner
Old Jan 25th 2011, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

MY plane is at 8.10pm pacific time..BA
Hi again Jackie, Have a good flight - we shall be rooting for you, and will be in touch, when you are located. best Wishes Love Don & Tim xxx
Old Jan 25th 2011, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
You are so right about that. The wheelie bins look awful. They were a topic of a local discussion today as they look so ghastly in front of lovely old houses. Useful, needed - but ugly. I came up with a way to disguise them locally, which may or may not be acceptable - but will cost some money to create the hiding place for them - and will let the town council know soon - I have a meeting with them about another matter.
The answer, has been partially solved, by our local ''Telford & Wrekin Council, who sell composter bins, for those with gardens at £10, and for those without gardens, Tesco, have a large one, on their Car Park that might help solve the problem for lovely Frome? take care Dontheturner.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 1:26 am
Forum Regular

SomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really nice

My friend and her mother, I should say 2 of my friends, they are wonderful, and took care of me and helped me through all of my Health drama..without them I dont know what I would have done, so that is gonna be a scene at the airport..
I remember when I left England to come to Canada, my friend who drove us cried all the way to Heathrow. I was so excited about the new adventure, I didn't cry at all. I think I've become much more emotional now since I'm 30 years older and I'm sure I'll be crying when I leave my Canadian friends behind.

Have a good flight, we're all thinking about you and imagining those big big hugs at the airport when your parents meet you
Old Jan 25th 2011, 1:41 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Hi Barb, Should have been around our house, when my second Wife, was brewing beers, and wines! over 70% proof! Had a long row of barrels, with it labelled! used to keep a glass in there, for Private tasting - and she did not drink, so I had to. Beer, Lager, Stout, Canadian Rum, and the strongest of the lot, was Carrot Wine.- More like Licquer took six bottles into work, for my Retirement Party, and the apprentices, had designs, on one of the Younger Girl Storekeepers, and got her tiddly, by saying it was only wine_ Jesus - she ended up on a stretcher! And was taken by ambulance to the Medical Centre! - good job I had finished, or there would have been an enquiry! ( it was ministry of Defence, place!) Take care Gel - dontheturner
It sounds like quite the party.

I had a friend in high school who's Mum and Dad liked to home brew, they were really good at wine. One weekend I stayed over and at 2am there was a huge bang, woke us all up, turned out she had run out of places to put all the wine and had stashed some under the bed I was in. then it blew the top off and scared us half to death.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.