Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 23rd 2011, 7:09 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by cheers
DR,
Is there a site that I can go to to find where express-none stop trains run to?
As an example I was looking at the Hereford to Paddington train service and it stops at about 15 stations and except for two trains you have change trains and in this case it goes in the wrong direction to make the change. It goes to Newport, Wales.???

I'll leave a local to answer this Cheers, I never did get my head around the train system over there, so many different companies.......

Check out the Virgin Pendolino service, I know that service goes from Scotland to London, that's the train I used to get from the Lake District to Runcorn and then it went onto London.......oh I do love that train service. It has a buffet car, you can buy tea and coffee, sandwiches, chocolate, magazines and even a beer or wine if you feel like!! How very civilized!! There was another service I used where they came around with a trolley just like on a plane but I can't remember where that was, as I did do a fair bit of train riding.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
It's great to hear that you are settled in - I remember following all of your QM2 posts back when you were getting ready to leave. You are right, for some people it can take ages to really feel at home back in the UK, especially if you have been away a long time. I'm still not settled after nearly 5 years (far from it, actually), though I think if I were retired it would be a lot easier (most of my stress and unsettled status is to do with my job, and knock-on effects on my social life or lack of time for a social life).
I think u hit the nail right on the head there, its easier I think to settle down and a lot quicker too if you come over as a retired person,
Everything is obviously less complicated and also less stressful at least in the initial stages of trying to settle into the British way of life, --- like no employment to find etc etc
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Yep just when the temperature is going to be nice in LV.
I had many, many hot sunny days...looking forward to actual weather for a while..lol..
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
MMmm funny I never noticed palm trees in London last time I was there, mind you I was pretty ill, and only had 1 proper day out. I will make it a point to palm tree spot next time.
In the area around Ealing there are many - have a look again at my photos of Ealing - the ones on Flickr. And when I went on the tube to Kew, I noticed a lot of palms in various private gardens. I mentioned this to a fellow passenger, and she said that London has a micro climate, hence the tropicals in the area.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Well Barb you'll be pleasantly surprised here in the London area - there's quite a lot of palm trees around here, and JJ mentioned having one in his garden up in Norfolk.....

That was one very shocking thing when I first visited London: that there were palm trees here! Coming from Charleston, SC - where they're "a dime a dozen", it was a pleasant discovery.
Yeah I would say so wow I had no Idea we had Palm trees in UK anywhere, and in London Huh, I havent been up to London for 20 years, last time was when I went with My Son and Daughter, we took the train to waterloo and we spent the whole day there, we had a great time, and took pics of each other in Trafalger Square with dozens of Pigeons perched quite happily on our heads --- it was a laugh,
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 7:33 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
I.....London has a micro climate, hence the tropicals in the area.

Due to a microclimate in Sochi, on the Black Sea, tea grows in Russia, of all places.

I say, bring on the palm trees, the microclimates - and the tea!!!
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Due to a microclimate in Sochi, on the Black Sea, tea grows in Russia, of all places.

I say, bring on the palm trees, the microclimates - and the tea!!!
House Hunters International is in London right now if anyone is interested..
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
That's so sad dunrovin.

I used to work in corporate America and it was so stressful and horrible that I used to feel just as you do. I made lots and lots of money and it didn't make life any happier because all I did was work long hours at a job I hated.

When I finally took the plunge and quit, I was terrified. I had only a few months' severance and no idea if my business idea would work. But I started it anyway. We had some tough years but by working at it, we've built it up into something that now pays the bills and leaves a bit over every month for my 'get back home' fund. But the best bit is I love what I do, and I work only the hours I want to.

It's a cliche but life is just too short to be miserable. We only get one go round. I hope you find a solution soon.
Sally will you maybe try to start a new business in UK simular maybe to what you have now ? you know when you go back home, sounds like a good Idea to me, I mean you know how to do it, and lots of experience to, it could work out very nicely for You and Hubby.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Ok..tomorrow is gonna be rough saying goodbye to my daughter, but other than that Im a mess..lol.excited, sad, etc..hard to know what to feel right now..
Thats Exactly how I felt a couple of days before my flight and one day before the flight I was a compleat mess so sad for some reason, sad to leave I guess, and the day of the flight Ohhhhhhhhhhh talk about nerves
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I spend nearly all my time on this specific forum but I thought someone was going to start a thread for the over 50's returnees settlement home? Maybe it got inactive or ????
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jasper123
Thats Exactly how I felt a couple of days before my flight and one day before the flight I was a compleat mess so sad for some reason, sad to leave I guess, and the day of the flight Ohhhhhhhhhhh talk about nerves
Well Rodney, we have both been here most of our lives, it is huge leaving..but I know both of us are going to be ok in the long term..
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 7:59 pm
DDL

I spend nearly all my time on this specific forum but I thought someone was going to start a thread for the over 50's returnees settlement home? Maybe it got inactive or ????

Cheers, are you thinking about the new thread that's been started to discuss U.S. healthcare?

They're all alive and kicking over there, although many of them still post on this thread, too.

You really should go take a read over there sometime. They have some very interesting opinions about this thread and some of us on here.....
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I live in a world of fantasy but my mind set would be I can come back anytime for a visit.

British Airways sent me something about a promotion of $199 to the UK and I've been told it is cheaper if you start your trip from the UK side.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I would say so wow I had no Idea we had Palm trees in UK anywhere, and in London Huh, I havent been up to London for 20 years, last time was when I went with My Son and Daughter, we took the train to waterloo and we spent the whole day there, we had a great time, and took pics of each other in Trafalger Square with dozens of Pigeons perched quite happily on our heads --- it was a laugh,
My Best friend has them in the South Yorks...
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 8:01 pm
DDL

Oops, sorry Cheers. Now I see what you meant. You were asking about that "Safe House" or whatever they were calling it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.