Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 17th 2011, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Dunroving, I am going to be interviewng a person who has been recommended to me, she will come in twice a day and play and walk Wee Mac. As the job includes 30% out of the office travelling, when I get a car I will just take him with me. As for moving, I don't think so, right now my travelling time is 45 minutes on the bus, by train the new location is one hour 15 minutes, so really not a lot of difference. I really like where I live and the rent is very good, also I have friends here now and now feel like I belong. If I was to move I think it might be to around Greenock way and that would just be as far to go. I have hopes of being able to get a car in the next month or so and that will make the trip shorter but I still thinkk I will utilize the train transportation when I am just going to be spending the whole day in the office though.

In regards to it being easier when you get older, in some aspects it does, the things you had to worry about are gone, things like raising your children etc. but you do find that some everyday things take longer and are harder. Sometimes I wake in the middle of the night and almost have a panic attack thinking how close I am to retiring and how far I have to go. I think that is what makes it harder this time at least for me.

Wee Mac is such a cheeky chap, into everything and anything but he certainly is entertaing and excellent company. If I can get my credit rating going here, I think my husband will be here in August even if the house does not sell, that will make it almost 2 years since we last saw each other, toooooo long. I am hoping that I will be completely settled here, earning a good living, in a nice flat, and driving a decent car by the time he gets here. I have to remember that only last year at this time, I was not working and things looked quite bleak, I have come a long way and that is what I am thankful for.

Last edited by Easterndawn; Jan 17th 2011 at 6:32 am.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Dunroving, I am going to be interviewng a person who has been recommended to me, she will come in twice a day and play and walk Wee Mac. As the job includes 30% out of the office travelling, when I get a car I will just take him with me. As for moving, I don't think so, right now my travelling time is 45 minutes on the bus, by train the new location is one hour 15 minutes, so really not a lot of difference. I really like where I live and the rent is very good, also I have friends here now and now feel like I belong. If I was to move I think it might be to around Greenock way and that would just be as far to go. I have hopes of being able to get a car in the next month or so and that will make the trip shorter but I still thinkk I will utilize the train transportation when I am just going to be spending the whole day in the office though.

In regards to it being easier when you get older, in some aspects it does, the things you had to worry about are gone, things like raising your children etc. but you do find that some everyday things take longer and are harder. Sometimes I wake in the middle of the night and almost have a panic attack thinking how close I am to retiring and how far I have to go. I think that is what makes it harder this time at least for me.

Wee Mac is such a cheeky chap, into everything and anything but he certainly is entertaing and excellent company. If I can get my credit rating going here, I think my husband will be here in August even if the house does not sell, that will make it almost 2 years since we last saw each other, toooooo long. I am hoping that I will be completely settled here, earning a good living, in a nice flat, and driving a decent car by the time he gets here. I have to remember that only last year at this time, I was not working and things looked quite bleak, I have come a long way and that is what I am thankful for.
Hello Ed.

I'm glad you don't have to move, that was on my mind, August is further than I expected but still it sounds like a positive thing, Id love to be a fly on the wall that day...

Best Wishes...
Old Jan 17th 2011, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
DDL - I am waiting for the Pension to kick in - about 2 more weeks to wait, I was told last week. It will be the basic state pension, so I will need to work as well - part time will be fine - you all know how frugal I have become! I have been living on savings from all the items I sold in the USA. And the exchange rate makes me want to weep - each time I go to change my dollars I cringe. I don't feel hard done by - over here expectations of material items is less than in the States, and I am not outstandingly poor by any means. I have nice things from years ago - most of them from my time living here 24 years prior, and here they are again: Royal Doulton china, crystal wine glasses, sterling silver flatware. And I still retained a few items of my Grandmother's best linens. I think of Hyacinth Bucket in 'Keeping Up Appearances' now and then - only I don't have any handpainted Periwinkles. Hope there are some Hyacinth fans on here, or that was all lost in cyberspace.

So I eat my small, inexpensive meals off of the best! It is quite funny - at least I think so - and I enjoy the irony of the situation.

Rosie
LOVE this--modest meals off the best china! Like Hyacinth, indeed--I'm a huge fan....

Also, your new friend sounds lovely--how wonderful for you that your life is coming together (such contrast from your posts soon after arrival) and how lucky we are to be privy to the process--as also to the new British lives of ED, DDL and many others...

Tina
Old Jan 17th 2011, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Think that is a great idea....I am a pooper scooper freak.
However little four pound dogs like mine could easily have their waste flushed down the loo if I end up being in a flat. They have ben raised on puppy/hospital pads.
I too think this poop bags/fines for poop in dustbin/ idea is an excellent one... it is so important that people scoop up and properly dispose of dog waste (unless like Trotty you have access to forest right at your doorstep!)....

Here in France (in a city) the pavements are absolutely disgusting, no-one seems to scoop at all...in my small town in NE USA, when I first arrived there in '88 people were good about cleaning up...but over the last few years more and more people started ignoring the ordinances, the sidewalks (ha! showing my confused transatlantic vocab--pavements one minute, sidewalks the next!) and verges were getting worse and worse.....very sad.

It's great that our homeland Britain, as a land of dog-lovers, has strict laws about this--essential for hygiene and for aesthetics.

Tina
Old Jan 17th 2011, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
We still see Hyacinth here in Dallas every Sunday evening.......each episode probably forth 100th time!
How did ship your crystal and china?
My crystal and china were packed to come on as cabin luggage but got bumped to in the hold. So I mentally kissed them goodbye - but in the end, only 4 side plates and one stemmed glass broke. I never got anywhere with US Air - they pulled all sorts of rabbits out of the hat to prove they were within their rights and tough luck to me. Eventually, when I unpacked everything and counted items, I caved. I still have enough to make up a full dinner set and tea service, and use one of the 5 remaining glasses as a vase! I packed the glasses and small items - cups/saucers/most side plates - into an insulated drinks bag I bought at AAA in Florida. Then I put that inside the carry on bag. Everything was first wrapped in bubble wrap. Bag within a bag within a bag - but still not suitable for in the hold. If I had known what was to happen, I would have put them into a special china carton with individual subdivided cardboard cells available from UHaul. I grew up in a shipping and packing household in Jamaica, and my father made all of us learn to pack alongside the workers. So to think I broke something - terrible. He must have rolled over in his grave with the shame of it all
Old Jan 17th 2011, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighTide
Now there's nothing stopping you from having a quiet " Candlelight Supper".
Too right! And when you come over, please don't brush against my wallpaper... and take your shoes off outside.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Easterndawn

Like the Marlboro Lights ad said 'You've come a long way, baby!'
I am glad that you are settled in your flat, and have friends there - makes a huge difference. No swans here in Frome, just lovely mallard ducks - I am off to feed them in a few minutes on my way through town to my Arts meeting.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by between two worlds
I too think this poop bags/fines for poop in dustbin/ idea is an excellent one... it is so important that people scoop up and properly dispose of dog waste (unless like Trotty you have access to forest right at your doorstep!)....

Here in France (in a city) the pavements are absolutely disgusting, no-one seems to scoop at all...in my small town in NE USA, when I first arrived there in '88 people were good about cleaning up...but over the last few years more and more people started ignoring the ordinances, the sidewalks (ha! showing my confused transatlantic vocab--pavements one minute, sidewalks the next!) and verges were getting worse and worse.....very sad.

It's great that our homeland Britain, as a land of dog-lovers, has strict laws about this--essential for hygiene and for aesthetics.

Tina
I read the ordinances posted in the area, but I must be one of the few here who are literate , because the pavements are foul in many places. I have seen dog owners standing while the pet does its business, then just walking away. The thought process seems to be: let the council man clear it, that's what he's paid for. That's NOT what he's paid for. I guess I will always be annoyed about some things, living in close proximity to others. It certainly varies form one town to the other, because I did not see this pavement mess when I was in Ealing, nor in Purley. Ipswich - now that was not good either, but better than here. Barb - what are your thoughts on this subject - you lived here for a while too. Was it like that last year?
Old Jan 17th 2011, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

I read the ordinances posted in the area, but I must be one of the few here who are literate , because the pavements are foul in many places. I have seen dog owners standing while the pet does its business, then just walking away. The thought process seems to be: let the council man clear it, that's what he's paid for. That's NOT what he's paid for. I guess I will always be annoyed about some things, living in close proximity to others. It certainly varies form one town to the other, because I did not see this pavement mess when I was in Ealing, nor in Purley. Ipswich - now that was not good either, but better than here. Barb - what are your thoughts on this subject - you lived here for a while too. Was it like that last year?
You aren't to be blamed for being annoyed by this behaviour, it's inexcusable, as I'm sure all the conscientious dog-owners on here will agree!

Interesting that it varies from town to town....

This reminds me of another issue of interest to reurnees with dogs, besides all the quarantine rules etc--by law, you still have to buy a dog license, right? Or am I out of date?

Tina
Old Jan 17th 2011, 11:08 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

You aren't to be blamed for being annoyed by this behaviour, it's inexcusable, as I'm sure all the conscientious dog-owners on here will agree!

Interesting that it varies from town to town....

This reminds me of another issue of interest to reurnees with dogs, besides all the quarantine rules etc--by law, you still have to buy a dog license, right? Or am I out of date?

Tina
Not that I am aware of - if so then Suzy is an "illegal"!

Re: scooping it does seem to depend on where you live. Where I am, there are loads of dogs and until the snow/ice (for some reason it got bad then), most people pick up. Just lately it has got bad.

Other places I have visited (I'll name Aberdare in Wales and Tipperary in Ireland), you had to look carefully at the pavement all the time - little (and not so little) piles everywhere.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

I too think this poop bags/fines for poop in dustbin/ idea is an excellent one... it is so important that people scoop up and properly dispose of dog waste....It's great that our homeland Britain, as a land of dog-lovers, has strict laws about this--essential for hygiene and for aesthetics.

Tina
Our local council offers free dog poop bags to all dog walkers and dog poop disposal units are available in all parks and walkways under the control of the local authority and, by and large, dog walkers make use of them. Only occasionally do you see evidence of a dog's poop lying around.

On the other hand when it comes to human waste - not poop of course! - but discarded fast food packaging and empty cans of ale and fish and chip wrappings - that's a different matter - too many people are blissfully unaware of the presence of litter bins which are much more numerous than are the dog waste disposal units, but generally speaking dog walkers in this area are not blootered and bladdered out of their minds.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

Taffy Duck is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dunroving
Your figure is for the 2010-2011 year, mine was for the 2011-2012 year (I said this in my earlier post, with the following link):

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/it.htm

On a side note this thread is getting silly - I had to go back almost 10 pages to find my post that you responded to - and I only posted it yesterday!
Thanks for the clarification I sit corrected...you are right about the speed of this site it's hard to keep up. May I ask you a question ......is it possible to file seperate tax forms as a married couple and claim the 7475 GBP each as we shall both have a retirement income when we move to Wales this year ? In Canada we file as single status even when married...

cheers and many thanks in advance....Taffy
Old Jan 17th 2011, 12:28 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
The only people laughing at Ricky are the British actors..lol

I hate those awards shows and all the egos and silliness and fashions, so I love watching Ricky skewer them and seeing them have no idea how to react. He just doesn't care what they think! I usually just watch his bits the next day on video.

For anyone who thinks his humor is mean-spirited, brace yourself for getting back to the UK. He's not the only one with a cruel sense of humor.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

GagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Taffy Duck
Thanks for the clarification I sit corrected...you are right about the speed of this site it's hard to keep up. May I ask you a question ......is it possible to file seperate tax forms as a married couple and claim the 7475 GBP each as we shall both have a retirement income when we move to Wales this year ? In Canada we file as single status even when married...

cheers and many thanks in advance....Taffy
Yes. Independant Taxation was introduced in 1992.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

My crystal and china were packed to come on as cabin luggage but got bumped to in the hold. So I mentally kissed them goodbye - but in the end, only 4 side plates and one stemmed glass broke. I never got anywhere with US Air - they pulled all sorts of rabbits out of the hat to prove they were within their rights and tough luck to me. Eventually, when I unpacked everything and counted items, I caved. I still have enough to make up a full dinner set and tea service, and use one of the 5 remaining glasses as a vase! I packed the glasses and small items - cups/saucers/most side plates - into an insulated drinks bag I bought at AAA in Florida. Then I put that inside the carry on bag. Everything was first wrapped in bubble wrap. Bag within a bag within a bag - but still not suitable for in the hold. If I had known what was to happen, I would have put them into a special china carton with individual subdivided cardboard cells available from UHaul. I grew up in a shipping and packing household in Jamaica, and my father made all of us learn to pack alongside the workers. So to think I broke something - terrible. He must have rolled over in his grave with the shame of it all
Considering your beautiful belongings ended up in the hold, I guess you got away pretty lightly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.