Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 16th 2011, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
the globes are on at five..will be over by the time it comes on.
It does not look like they are broadcast here.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

I know, I am looking forward to it... after the Golden Globes, I am such an award show addict. Ricky Gervase is hosting.
None of his introduction jokes really worked tonight......the audience was quite tense.......very few laughs......I thought his humor was more mean spirited than usual.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
None of his introduction jokes really worked tonight......the audience was quite tense.......very few laughs......I thought his humor was more mean spirited than usual.
I thought they were more shocked than anything, especially about the reference to Tom Cruise.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Hi Everyone, well about 3 weeks ago I applied for a job in Health care Management, ( I am always checking the recruitment careers), did it over the internet, sent my CV etc. and never realy thought about it again as I sometime send out 10 or 15 of these sort of thing a week. Last week I received a phone call asking me to come into Glasgow for an interview and as I had a day off in the middle of the wek anyways (had worked a day on a weekend) decided to go. They called on Friday and offered me the job, the job is in a brand new office of a large Health Care Company that has many offices through out Scotland. The money is nearly double what I make now and there is the oportunity to get paid bonuses etc.. The downside is that it is in Thornliebank, near Glasgow, an hour and a quarter by train, but that is the only downside, so after 3 days of talking to friends, husband and sleepless nights I will be moving at the end of the month to the new job.

Another good thing happened, I applied to my bank online to see if I could get an overdraft ( I have tried before, and they had always denied) and low and behold they acccepted it this time, so I am on my way to establishing my credit rating again.

I have been living on less than £12,000 per year take home for the past 4 months, $375.00 per month for rent, council tax £106.00, Dobgle/mobile phone about £60.00, electric/gas £100.00, transportation (bus) £132.00, then groceries etc. I am still able to something for my house each month (charity shops), now have Wee Mac to feed, and go out for supper a couple
of times a month. It can be done, it just is harder when your older.

I lived with my four children in a Volkswagon Camper Van for over 2 months one summer when I first left my first husband, worked odd jobs to feed them, stayed in camping sites. We had very little, but I was able to keep my family together and that was all that mattered. If you ask my children what was the best time in their life, they will tell you, when we lived in the Yellow Banana Wagon. Life has a way of sorting its way out if you just have faith, it may not be easy, but enjoy the ride for what it is.
Ed.

Everytime something good happens to you it makes my day, Nobody deserves good things more than you, you soldier on and are inspire us all.

I hope the job turns out to be Perfect for you, your husband has to be so proud, Congratulations.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aviva
I thought they were more shocked than anything, especially about the reference to Tom Cruise.
I agree......pretty tasteless I would say.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
I agree......pretty tasteless I would say.
It's too bad he's not comfortable enough to come out. Maybe Scientologists don't believe in being gay, I don't know. Must be tough.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aviva
It's too bad he's not comfortable enough to come out. Maybe Scientologists don't believe in being gay, I don't know. Must be tough.
The only people laughing at Ricky are the British actors..lol
Old Jan 17th 2011, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I think DDL was talking about renting privately. Never fear for us over 55's there is always sheltered housing from £43.00 per week excluding the service charge.

http://www.anchor.org.uk/about-ancho...wsArticle.aspx

This is just a list of the current vacancies, there are thousands of these places all over the UK. Just think Wind, you can go and live wherever you want, just like Rosie did, what an adventure!!

Go and check out DDL's whole thread of Sheltered Housing.
Where is DDL's thread about sheltered housing?

By the way, what exactily IS sheltered housing? When I see that term I think of old people's housing. I am only 58 now and 62 when I return to the UK - nowhere near about to kick the bucket, so I don't think I want old folks' homes. Besides, I have pets and want to continue having pets. I don't want any restrictions or associations' regulations placed on me.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
My friend in the UK and her partner have just put in for this place to rent in Wigan, check it out but don't be gazumping them!!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-28570117.html
I noticed that one the other day, Bee. I love it. Something like that would do me very nicely. Rent is good, too.

I also noticed with these terraced houses, the gardens are usually a mess. I wonder why that is.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DDL
Sheltered Housing is indeed an option but remember: small island, lots of people. We've been on the waiting list since 7 June 2010 and nothing's come through yet.

Also, most Sheltered Housing schemes (apart from Housing 21) require that you be at least 60 years old. So if, like me, you are under age 60, your choice is limited to Housing 21 properties. Edited to add: I see that Anchor has the 55 yr. age rule as well.

£43.00/week is amazing and I've not looked at where that location would be but the properties I've seen - and I've looked at hundreds and hundreds in Greater London and all the way down to Hampshire, Wiltshire, Devon, etc. - I've never seen any lower than £100/week and that is not including the service charge which most places have and which can run around £20-30/month extra.

So again, it's an option but will probably take you much longer to get into than private rental.
DDL - did you publish a list of sheltered housing vacancies? I am trying to find it - with no luck.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Hi Everyone, well about 3 weeks ago I applied for a job in Health care Management, ( I am always checking the recruitment careers), did it over the internet, sent my CV etc. and never realy thought about it again as I sometime send out 10 or 15 of these sort of thing a week. Last week I received a phone call asking me to come into Glasgow for an interview and as I had a day off in the middle of the wek anyways (had worked a day on a weekend) decided to go. They called on Friday and offered me the job, the job is in a brand new office of a large Health Care Company that has many offices through out Scotland. The money is nearly double what I make now and there is the oportunity to get paid bonuses etc.. The downside is that it is in Thornliebank, near Glasgow, an hour and a quarter by train, but that is the only downside, so after 3 days of talking to friends, husband and sleepless nights I will be moving at the end of the month to the new job.

Another good thing happened, I applied to my bank online to see if I could get an overdraft ( I have tried before, and they had always denied) and low and behold they acccepted it this time, so I am on my way to establishing my credit rating again.

I have been living on less than £12,000 per year take home for the past 4 months, $375.00 per month for rent, council tax £106.00, Dobgle/mobile phone about £60.00, electric/gas £100.00, transportation (bus) £132.00, then groceries etc. I am still able to something for my house each month (charity shops), now have Wee Mac to feed, and go out for supper a couple
of times a month. It can be done, it just is harder when your older.

I lived with my four children in a Volkswagon Camper Van for over 2 months one summer when I first left my first husband, worked odd jobs to feed them, stayed in camping sites. We had very little, but I was able to keep my family together and that was all that mattered. If you ask my children what was the best time in their life, they will tell you, when we lived in the Yellow Banana Wagon. Life has a way of sorting its way out if you just have faith, it may not be easy, but enjoy the ride for what it is.
Things are looking up. I am so glad
Old Jan 17th 2011, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

I am gonna have to miss the final episode then..will be back in UK by then...
You might be able to rent the DVD there.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Originally Posted by windsong
DDL - did you publish a list of sheltered housing vacancies? I am trying to find it - with no luck.
Wind, go to the MBTTUK and Sheltered Housing is the first thread in the list..

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=671926

Hope this helps...

Last edited by Wawa; Jan 17th 2011 at 2:16 am.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

ED...Congralutions on the new job. You keep moving up that ladder

Windsong...Charleygirl posted this link to sheltered housing

http://www.housing21.co.uk/
Old Jan 17th 2011, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

For those of you movng back with dogs I thought this was interesting. I was talking to my niece today and she was telling me how she has to collect her dogs poops and put them in little blue bags then she has a small container she collects them in and I think it twice a month they have to be put into a red container and the council come round and collects them. If poops are found in your regular dustbin you can be fined. I will miss throwing mine into the forest

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.