Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 15th 2011, 7:03 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by cheers
If that is partial I would love to see what the full amount will be. That to me is amazing income that some of us can dream about. Good for you.
At the same time I have to admit I'm a little bit jealous
Mind boggling!

ha ha Not really, Cheers. That's for just shy of a month's pay. He's only on 24K/year.

I see now, I made a big boo-boo in that post. The £1764.02 was GROSS pay, not net pay.
When we left the UK 7 years ago to move to America, he was on about 35K (with another Council, he worked in IT). In America, he was on $45K.

I've said it more than once - we [both] made a real sacrifice leaving the States to come back to England. But we knew we'd be starting over again, so we just accept it.

Last edited by DDL; Jan 15th 2011 at 7:06 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 7:12 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by windsong
IMHO, UK soaps have tons more substance and story line to them than any American soap I have ever seen. When I first came over to the U.S. I watched those daytime soaps. Oh my! That's just my own opinion, of course.

I was never a big soap watcher in the US but I have seen them.

We all sit around and watch EastEnders now every night. I figured, why not? 7 million other people in this country do!

I'd be hard stretched to say that EE has "substance". I mean, come on: murder, incest, rape, affairs, etc etc all within one small square? LOL

But what I would say is that I really love the fact that British actors/actresses are all so real compared to American ones. When they go on a talk show, they've not been all made up with make-up and they're usually wearing just plain, normal clothes.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
ha ha Not really, Cheers. That's for just shy of a month's pay. He's only on 24K/year.

I see now, I made a big boo-boo in that post. The £1764.02 was GROSS pay, not net pay.
When we left the UK 7 years ago to move to America, he was on about 35K (with another Council, he worked in IT). In America, he was on $45K.

I've said it more than once - we [both] made a real sacrifice leaving the States to come back to England. But we knew we'd be starting over again, so we just accept it.
I was making about £1:17:6d a week when I left the UK so his income is still mind boggling.
£2,000 per month would keep me awake wondering how to spend it in the UK.
I don't think they pay wages in cash anymore over there? Is that right Barbara?
Good for you!
Cheers
Old Jan 15th 2011, 7:17 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Klein Creek Farm, West Chicago, Dupage county!
Amazing. As I said, my first husband was from West Chicago (my brother-in-law's father was Mayor there for a time), and my first husband's parents eventually moved from West Chicago to .... Bloomingdale. (They are both deceased now.)

Small world, Rosie.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL

I'd be hard stretched to say that EE has "substance". I mean, come on: murder, incest, rape, affairs, etc etc all within one small square? LOL
When I flip through the menu on the TV the description of the films looks the same as what you describe. This in not entertainment to me. We are living in a very sick society when people are watching this trash. We are also become insensitive to these issues. Maybe there is a conspiracy to showing this trash.

Maybe we should require every writer to take courses on how to show the better side of people.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 7:27 pm
DDL

I think we could start a thread on this webcam.
Some observations. In a very few cases I see drivers driving far too fast for conditions. Conditions being too many people and cars around at an intersection.
Motorcycle riders taking chances by passing on the right when there is oncoming traffic. Pedestrians who step off the curb without looking (the go ahead hit me I need the money crowd). Drivers who patiently wait while tourists just pose on the crossing while having their picture taken. I think if that happened in some places in the US there would be some blood spilt. Lots of expensive cars. Mercedes, Porsche and BMWs
1. Did you know that this crossing (recently given Listed status!) is not the original!! From the BBC: "The original zebra crossing, where the photograph was taken, was moved several metres for traffic management reasons more than 30 years ago, and no original features remain."

2. Re motorcycles, they petrify me! I can't get used to the fact that it's legal for them to ride between rows of traffic. Blows my mind every time I see it!

Last edited by DDL; Jan 15th 2011 at 7:50 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 7:38 pm
DDL

I was making about £1:17:6d a week when I left the UK so his income is still mind boggling.
£2,000 per month would keep me awake wondering how to spend it in the UK.
I don't think they pay wages in cash anymore over there? Is that right Barbara?
Good for you!
Cheers

£2,000 per month BEFORE deductions for tax, N.I. and pension, Cheers. His net will be around £1300/month - not nearly enough for two people to live on with rent, Council tax, utilities, car expenses (petrol, insurance, tax, maintenance, MOT), food, etc. etc.

Plus - we are starting over. Don't have a stick of furniture to our name or much of anything else! So, regardless of whether I find a job sooner or later, it's going to take some time for us to get ahead.

I wouldn't think wages are paid in cash anywhere these days; his goes directly into the bank.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 7:49 pm
DDL

We've had a good day!

Actually slept-in (until 10am!) for the first time since we've been back (5 months now). Tony's mum is on holiday in America so we have the house to ourselves.

We got our groceries at Tesco this morning. For you number crunchers:

£1.87 for a 6-pack of Pepsi Max
£0.58 for a small Tesco brand Steak Pie in flaky pastry
£0.74 for a 6-pack of Hovis crumpets
£0.98 for a small bag of Tate & Lyle sugar
£3.00 for mouthwash
£1.15 for a loaf of Hovis bread
£2.50 for toothpaste
£9.18 for Centrum 50+ vitamins (60 tabs)
£3.70 for BBC Homes & Antiques magazine

We came back home and put the groceries away, then went out for lunch at the new Harvester (chain) pub that opened up recently on the High Street (which, like most others, is "pedestrianised" or should that be spelled with a "z" ??). Not a terrific experience - think they are still working out the kinks with regard to service, but it was okay. Tony had sausages and mash, and I had a grilled chicken breast w/jacket potato and peas. We each had tap water, and I think our bill was around £12.

Then..........we went to the cinema and saw "The King's Speech". OMG. It was absolutely brilliant. In fact, as the final credits started to roll, the audience broke out into applause. It's a wonderful film and if you haven't seen it yet, I highly, highly recommend it. Here's a link to the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aS4hoOSlzo

Curious about cinema prices?

£8.60 regular seating cinema ticket
£10.30 VIP seating cinema ticket (larger chair, more legroom, reserved seating)
£11 for 2 regular soft drinks and a large popcorn
£5 for 1 regular soft drink and a regular popcorn

Last edited by DDL; Jan 15th 2011 at 7:53 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poppycat
Strangely enough, my ex said the same. Wonder if they're related? I told him that in the UK our food is cut up and we eat solely with a fork.....if we're under 5yrs of age!
good one poppy you certainly got that right,
Old Jan 15th 2011, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Ha Ha Rodney, and you have hit the nail on the head why I love Corrie, they are REAL people short, tall, fat, thin, good looking and very ordinary looking. If you get into Corrie you will see that it has humour, and that's what for me makes it stand out above the others IMHO.

My family all went to my nephews place for Christmas Day and on the photos they sent the TV is on and they are all watching Corrie, kids and all LOL!! He has one of those big plasma's on the wall and it looks like Ken and Deirdre are in the living room with them.
Who knows Barb even I maybe able to get into Corrie ---- given time
Old Jan 15th 2011, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Yes I have always thought the American way of using cutlery is exhausting, I wonder why they don't keep it simple like us?

Edited to add:

Just read Rosie's explanation about the wagon trains, very interesting and logical. So are Americans the only nation that use cutlery in this way? I have never even thought about this subject before LOL!!
Well the awkward caveman style the way Americans eat as far as I know is only done there, I have always been aware of it cause living in Reno & Vegas for about 3 decades one tends to go out and eat a lot,
Old Jan 15th 2011, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Tue, we have a filter under the kitchen sink to make it taste better and make a decent cuppa, without it theres the overpowering smell of chlorine. It makes the bathwater look like a swimming pool, it has that blue tinge
Now I know why I was never into tea in America, the bloody chlorine, so even when you boil it its still got the taste I suppose,
Since Ive been home I have really got seriously into Tea, --- I have gone from hating it to loving it, --- My Mum says they dont treat the Tap water in UK with Chlorine, --- in Vegas my whole 14 years there I never drank tap water ----- not since the press reported that there is rocket fuel in the tap water, --- but since back in UK I have drank nothing but tap water ---- well a little Scotch too I suppose
Old Jan 15th 2011, 8:38 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by jasper123
Well the awkward caveman style the way Americans eat as far as I know is only done there, I have always been aware of it cause living in Reno & Vegas for about 3 decades one tends to go out and eat a lot,

"awkward" "caveman style"

Geesh.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Amazing. As I said, my first husband was from West Chicago (my brother-in-law's father was Mayor there for a time), and my first husband's parents eventually moved from West Chicago to .... Bloomingdale. (They are both deceased now.)

Small world, Rosie.
Unreal! What with Barbara and Windsong having Frome connections, and you and I having Illinois connections, this is a very interesting place to post on. Wonder what is next? Oh, and both you and I are paralegals!
Old Jan 15th 2011, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yea Denise but you get freeeeeee APOS NHS.
Seriously, The price you paid for toothpaste is very high (do they use toothpaste in the UK? Sick joke, you know Brits and teeth)
I think all our toothpaste is now made in Mexico.
All the other prices are about right.
Price for Movie is way off. We pay $10 (£6.43) for two because of the senior rate. Seats are very comfortable. We haven't bought snacks for years in the movie house but I understand thats the only profit they make is from snacks and no profit on the actual movie.

Can you buy milk in Gallon (4litre) cartons?

Last edited by cheers; Jan 15th 2011 at 9:04 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.