Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 13th 2011, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

Tanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really nice
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
CANCER FREE EVERYONE!!!!
I knew you would be!! That's the best of news. Hope you've made celebration plans!!!
Old Jan 13th 2011, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

GoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of light

CANCER FREE EVERYONE!!!!
what a relief, how wonderful, now you really are on your way
Old Jan 13th 2011, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
illegals/asylum seekers not only have access to healthcare,
Never let a good moan get in the way of facts......illegals, failed asylum seekers, those here on a working visa but not working, are not allowed free NHS (unless those on a working visa have been in the UK legally for more than a year).

The case of failed asylum seekers and free NHS was tested in court and the government won. The judgement from the CA (Court of Appeal) found:-

The CA have found that failed asylum seekers cannot be said to be ordinarily resident in the UK, since their stay here is not 'ordinary'. The CA also found that failed asylum seekers cannot be considered exempt from charges by having resided lawfully in the UK for one year prior to treatment since they do not have the necessary ‘leave to enter’ in order to reside lawfully in the UK.
http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/.../dh_097385.pdf

Last edited by formula; Jan 13th 2011 at 11:22 am.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

Taffy Duck is an unknown quantity at this point

CANCER FREE EVERYONE!!!!
JUST WONDERFUL I'VE GOT GOOSE BUMPS ALL OVER

All the best.....Taffy
Old Jan 13th 2011, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Jackie,

What greater news? We rejoice with you!

Well the bonus is you only have 12 days left before going to McCarran Airport for the last time and then off to Lincolnshire and mother and father.

I hope you stay in touch for us poor pilgrims when you get back there.

Cheers from Saint George
Old Jan 13th 2011, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I hope all is going well where ever you are, if not, take courage from these poor people.

https://mail.google.com/mail/?shva=1...d7d60133560612

Last edited by cheers; Jan 13th 2011 at 11:53 am.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Ok Rod, so your not a fan of British extension cords, what else is buggin you?, Not to be negative but maybe we can help with that too, and maybe not hahahaaaaaaa...
Hi Fish, and everyone,
Well Extension cord not really solved but ----- well what I have done is placed my modem on a little wee table by the front door, so when you open the door it wont touch it, the modem is still 10 feet away from the phone jack the other side of the hall but at least I had enough phone cord on the modem to reach the phone jack, I neatly shoved the cords underneath the carpet edge along the skirting board, so everything is fine, the lap top works great anywhere in the house, Its just that the modem isn't sitting next to the phone jack thats all, (it will have to live with disappointments )
Now you say what else bugs me, ---- well this really doesn't bug (ME) as such but would if I had a car, first all the side streets are so narrow and most terraced houses are without a garage so they have to park there car on the street outside there house, ---- the result is that on both sides of the street you have back to back cars parked, so when you drive down the street you most always meet another car coming in the opposite direction ---- so someone has to give and pull over to the side so the other car can get through the street, and he just makes it passed you without scratching your paint work ---- they have that down to I fine art over here, ----- that would be very hard for me to get used to if I were driving ---- that and when you get to the main street in town there are so many cars on the road now that its very frustrating, I mean with one bloody lane each way what you gonna do, these roads would drive me crazy if I had a car, so thats it not really a Bug but so thats why Im sticking to my free bus pass
my 91 year old Mum is used to the roads so they dont bother her, but then I thought maybe the roads are not so narrow in other parts of UK, I dont know,
But Its not Englands fault, you have to expect it after all its a very small country compared to others like The States, we dont have the room to build side streets with 3 or 4 lanes each side of the road,
Well is there anything else that bugs me? you know Fish I am really trying to think really hard and so far I cant think of a darn thing ----- honestly!!!
it rained half a day yesterday, cloudy today, I love it, you dont have that sun shining in your face all the time,
I havent come across a single rude person, everyone seems to be polite, happy, and a Joy to be around, especially the people who work in the stores I was surprised at how friendly they all are, no different then being in USA,

The bus service here in Pompey is excellent, dont matter where I want to go in the city, one comes along in 2 or 5 or no longer then 10 minutes, all routs and times are clearly marked on all bus stops throughout the day and night,
I take a lot of buses, I enjoy going to different places every day, and it keeps me out of my Mums hair for a while too,but having said that she is so busy going places with her friends most days too,

The phone service is great over here, me and Mum pay £13.29 month for basic line rental, my broadband wireless internet costs £15.99 month and with warp speed of 10 megs, on the phone we have free anytime minutes clear across the United Kingdom,
24/7

The food in stores here I have found is either about the same price as the US and many things though are quite a bit cheaper, me and Mum mostly do the shopping together that way she buys her favorite things and me mine, but we always split the bill, good variety of food too, beef (IS) very expensive in any form, ---- dont know why? maybe we are short of cows over here chicken aint cheap either but affordable, I just get off on all the different kinds of ---- you know British only type of food --- like steak & kidney pies/cornish pasties/sausage rolls/mince steak family size pies hmmm
large plump sausages and thick rashers double hmmm /chocolate digestives and the nicest tasteing ginger buscuits I have ever tasted, ------ Just to name a few, and even if you dont wish to go to your local fish & chip shop you can buy a box of frozen cod, 4 nice large portions, and have it with oven cooked frozen chips, open up a can os mashy peas ---- oh yes they sell cans of peas already mashed here have a few pickled onions (but not Davids pickled eggs ) and you have a lovely meal for two,
Well ya all cheerio for now,
Take care,
Rodney.
PS Im still comparing £,s to $,s with every thing I buy, that will take some time to stop doing Im sure,
People still ask me where Im from even though I am really trying hard to talk with a English accent, ---- dont seem to be working very well though,
Just about all the stores have big sales on clothes still, Mum bought me a nice couple of good quality sweaters with a zipper in front, £8 each reduced from £25 Wow what a bargain, and two bags of underpants 4 in each bag from M&S for £4 each bag, real good quality and two nice cotton shirts long sleeves same place for £8 each, --- thats my Christmas presents, in a few days time we are going to go to Comet and Im buying my Mum a nice Nikon coolpick digital camara already picked out, its £65 That will be Mums Christmas present from me,
By By/cheerio
Old Jan 13th 2011, 12:05 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

CANCER FREE EVERYONE!!!!
WOW JACKIE! Such great news - get that bottle of red back out!
Old Jan 13th 2011, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Rod you forgot to sign off the right way. You should have finished by saying "so there"

I'm looking forward to all those good things you mentioned!
cheers I just know you will love it over here, I suppose it does help you know if you are British home grown so to speak, I mean of course we all have to get used to a whole new way of life really after decades away, but the change is a good one, politics and all aside, Im sold on my England, and thats just after what is it ----- 6 weeks now back home, a lot of people reading this back in US/Auss/Canada/Thailand or wherever will be saying Hmmmm I wonder how he will feel in say a year from now? ---- well I dont know really but I think the same or maybe even more positive about life here then I am now,
This is the start of a brand new journey for me and for us all when it happens, ----- all I can say is so far the way I feel is that there is no other place that I would rather be at my age now,
In Just this short time here I can say with compleat certainty that I love being home, and guess what my stress level is definitely getting less, in the States there were so many worries, and everyday stress for me at least was incredible,
Take care,
Rodney.
PS so there !!!!!!
Old Jan 13th 2011, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Taffy Duck
JUST WONDERFUL I'VE GOT GOOSE BUMPS ALL OVER

All the best.....Taffy
Me too Jackie, thats the best news, goose bumps and happiness and I feel like just bursting into song and dancing just for you,
Take good care of yourself, you will soon be in England with Mum & Dad, they must be over the moon about you being cancer free and coming home for good, OK your count down has started, are you ready? have you got a lot of things to do yet, hows the chucking out and sorting and keeping your stuff going? are you just going to take all your stuff that you want to keep in suitcases like I did?
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by shelley748
Rodders sounds like you are having a blast- so happy for you!!!
Thanks Shelley, yes Im very happy here,
Old Jan 13th 2011, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

CANCER FREE EVERYONE!!!!
How fantastic Jackie!!....Congrats and hugs
Old Jan 13th 2011, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rod, have you bought any rain wear at all?

The impression I get from Frome is that its been raining there for about 10 days straight.

UK, a land of micro climates

Love your posts Rod!
Old Jan 13th 2011, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

I read this on another forum. What do you think?
A young male Brit wants to relocate to the US and he has no idea what he is in for. Maybe he is like us 50 years ago. Maybe he is foot loose and fancy free.
One of the first thing he faces is he can't legally live in the US (thank you Mr President John Kennedy)

Take a look. Again maybe we were that nieve and adventurous years ago. I was a little annoyed when I read it that someone would be so immature.
Quote:
OK so from my User name, you properly guessed I'm not American but here me out.....pretty please. And from the Topic name, which is tied to "The grass is always greener on the otherside of the fence" is why I am here.

I am fed up of this country and many of the people, I have decided that maybe, a new start is in order, or just a few years living else where, and by else where I don't mean over the road or "oop Norf", relating back to my grass always greener comment, my fence is the Atlantic Ocean.

Now in England, we have a common redundancy when it comes to knowing anything about anything that is not England or English related (not everyone mind you, I am very open minded but the majority are not) so I thought it was best to ask a Yankee born and bread for the help I need (I hope Yankee is not derogatory in any way, if so I do apologize). So I asked my questions to a bunch of places over here and well sod all helped.

What I would like to do is:

Move to America, No Idea where, preferably somewhere welcoming and yet not welcoming so I get the feeling of not being at my normal home and yet i don't get lynched. Somewhere big, like washington or new york, but this lead to more problems.

How do I find a job before going, how do I find somewhere to live before going, how do I get a Visa to work when I could get one but not find a job thus waisting my time and money getting a visa.......

Last edited by cheers; Jan 13th 2011 at 1:04 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 2:51 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

CANCER FREE EVERYONE!!!!

Congratulations. I am a 5-year survivor and am celebrating with you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.