Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 12th 2011, 9:32 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Forgot to ask those who are home whats it like converting your money from the US to UK. Was it difficult.

I've been using xe.com to electronically transfer my US money over to my UK bank account. It was easy to register online as long as you have all your account numbers, sorting codes, etc. etc. and etc. at hand.

Because I'm not working yet, I only have one of those basic Easy Cash accounts at one of the large banks, but have had no problems at all with electronic funds transfer from overseas.

It's been taking a little over a week for a transfer to reach my UK bank account, although it seems to be debited from my US account pretty quickly.

Just the other day I transferred $160 out of my US bank account and got 100 quid for it.

I've also been able to use my US debit card at the cash pointe machine with no problems, but I only did that once or twice whilst I was waiting on my xe.com account to go live.

Hope this info helps, Trotty.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 9:44 am
DDL

Originally Posted by trottytrue
My Mum was convinced that cheap tea was the sweepings from the floor of the tea factories.

Well, that possibly used to be the case, but not anymore.

There are, however, grades of tea called "fannings" and "dust" that are indeed the "dregs" of tea leaves and these are mostly used in teabags.

The best teabags are those that contain whole-leaf tea, like the ones made by Mighty Leaf.

But I'm certainly not a tea snob, and agree with Sarah Ferguson who once said about tea: "As long as it is hot, wet and goes down the right way, its fine with me."

Old Jan 12th 2011, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
I knew you where joking..I was just messin with you..
Knock it off, you two!
Old Jan 12th 2011, 10:00 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
I've been using xe.com to electronically transfer my US money over to my UK bank account. It was easy to register online as long as you have all your account numbers, sorting codes, etc. etc. and etc. at hand.

Because I'm not working yet, I only have one of those basic Easy Cash accounts at one of the large banks, but have had no problems at all with electronic funds transfer from overseas.

It's been taking a little over a week for a transfer to reach my UK bank account, although it seems to be debited from my US account pretty quickly.

Just the other day I transferred $160 out of my US bank account and got 100 quid for it.

I've also been able to use my US debit card at the cash pointe machine with no problems, but I only did that once or twice whilst I was waiting on my xe.com account to go live.

Hope this info helps, Trotty.
Do they ask for the Swift code (international banking code number for the bank/branch), or just the regular UK sort code (what used to be called the bank routing number, I think, the one that has six numbers, format XX-XX-XX)?
Old Jan 12th 2011, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Taffy Duck is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Taffy, Why would he need to do that, when they sell them for £4 in Wilkinsons in his City?.
Hey Don in my mind any excuss for a couple of pints .....He! He!...gulp

cheers...Taffy
Old Jan 12th 2011, 12:26 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Knock it off, you two!
Oh no! Told off again!

HighTide, why on earth did they put the egg in the crisp packet? Been trying to figure it out for about ten minutes and finally decided to ask.

I've become a bit of a tea snob since our last trip home when I realized what I had been missing all these years. Now only Twinings will do - la di dah!
Old Jan 12th 2011, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

Taffy Duck is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Peigi just a quick question....Did you file your final Canadian tax return in Canada before you left or did you file from Scotland, also regarding your non-residency did you have to send a declaration to the Canadian Tax people stating your new abode in Scotland so that you don't have to pay Canadian income tax because of the tax treaty between the 2 countries...thanks in advance....
cheers....Taffy
Old Jan 12th 2011, 1:16 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by dunroving
Do they ask for the Swift code (international banking code number for the bank/branch), or just the regular UK sort code (what used to be called the bank routing number, I think, the one that has six numbers, format XX-XX-XX)?

In looking at my account profile page, just the Account Number and the Bank Branch Number is shown (although it seems to me like initially they did ask for the Sort Code and, of course, address of the bank) but no, I don't recall needing the Swift code. I think that might just be for non-UK European transfers.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Hello Cheers, Just curious, What Insurance Company are you with?

By the way, You sure love phones dont you, I remember our last chat about them, Enjoy your New landline, I love mine, it works when the power is out and the cell phone towers are down, cant beat it.
I'm with Medicare as my primary and AARP for the supplemental. I pay $165 per month for the supplemental. I also pay $40 for the RX insurance. I think I'm insurance poor.

I get ribbed about the phones I have and with good reason. I got them for a reason and the different companies are very competitive so they change their fees frequently to stay ahead of their competitors. I think now I will just stay with just the one, Boost, although there is another one out there for .07 per minute.

Last edited by cheers; Jan 12th 2011 at 2:38 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
According to a close family member who is high up in management for a fast food chain in US, soda is 3¢ of syrup and water that they carbonate on site, one heck of a profit there. minimum a dollar a drink if you get small, most people buy the family size bucket drink.
When I think of those soda machines I remember that I saw someone take one apart and in the back inside the machine they had these big clobs of mold, they were as big as your hand. Disgusting really.

Last edited by cheers; Jan 12th 2011 at 2:38 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DDL
Could be the water though, Sally. Maybe there's some uber-secret ingredient in British water that we don't know about!
Maybe.

I have bought bottled water that comes from Wales. I think it is called Ty Nant and it is bottled in Mid Wales. Comes in a blue bottle. It sure tastes good. I think I bought it in Las Vegas and it was about $2 per bottle.

More info here. You will see the blue bottle in the lower right.

http://www.finewaters.com/Bottled_Wa...om/Ty_Nant.asp

Last edited by cheers; Jan 12th 2011 at 2:43 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 3:58 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
In looking at my account profile page, just the Account Number and the Bank Branch Number is shown (although it seems to me like initially they did ask for the Sort Code and, of course, address of the bank) but no, I don't recall needing the Swift code. I think that might just be for non-UK European transfers.
OK, thanks.

One other question - maybe you know this: Can you set up a transfer with a set exchange rate (like you can when buying or selling shares)?

I'm thinking of, for example, "make the exchange if the rate hits $1.50"?
Old Jan 12th 2011, 4:00 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by cheers
Maybe.

I have bought bottled water that comes from Wales. I think it is called Ty Nant and it is bottled in Mid Wales. Comes in a blue bottle. It sure tastes good. I think I bought it in Las Vegas and it was about $2 per bottle.

More info here. You will see the blue bottle in the lower right.

http://www.finewaters.com/Bottled_Wa...om/Ty_Nant.asp
Yes, I think there's a man who fills blue plastic bottles from the public tap in Merthyr and ships it to the States - Ty Nant is Welsh for "Corporation Champagne".
Old Jan 12th 2011, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dunroving
Yes, I think there's a man who fills blue plastic bottles from the public tap in Merthyr and ships it to the States - Ty Nant is Welsh for "Corporation Champagne".
This is a more sophisticated operation.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Oh no! Told off again!

HighTide, why on earth did they put the egg in the crisp packet? Been trying to figure it out for about ten minutes and finally decided to ask.

I've become a bit of a tea snob since our last trip home when I realized what I had been missing all these years. Now only Twinings will do - la di dah!
Well Sally I took a look on Wikipedia and this is what they came up with:

Uses

Pickled eggs may be served as part of a main course, hors d'œuvres, or garnishes.[4]

In the United Kingdom pickled eggs can be purchased from fish and chip shops. They are also found in some more traditional Australian Fish and Chip establishments. Pickled eggs have also traditionally been found behind the bar in Public Houses, and eaten with a pint of beer. Finding a pub that still serves them is becoming more difficult as people's tastes change.[5] A quirk of buying a pickled egg from a pub is the method in which it is served. There is no single serving option as they are kept in large jars. Serving variations include; on a napkin, on a plate, on a cocktail stick, dropped in your hand, or dropped into a bag of salt and vinegar crisps.

On the other hand one can just put it down to the scrumpy cider they were drinking. Made folk do funny things.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.