Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 11th 2011, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by DDL
Hi Trotty ~

Trivia: At the wholesale level, it costs about 3p to make a pot of tea! It drives me round the bend to see fancy hotels charging 3 quid (and more!!) for a pot of tea!
Hey you think thats something! How about $5 for a drink of water in the hotels in Los Angeles among other places.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Isabel_7
Hi Denise ... I also think it is more about the water than anything else. I do not take milk or sugar in tea and am very aware of the taste differences when for example making a cup from tap water or bottled water.

Wishing you well with the ongoing job search.
Probably. Even the soda beverage companies use a water filter in the food places when they make and sell their soda pop.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Taffy Duck
Hey Rodney all you have to do is go down to your local pub, talk to a few people about your dilema and "Bob's your Uncle" somebody will come to your recue and say quote " I know a mate of mine that will do it for few quid on the side" and that's all there is to it ( sorted )

cheers....Taffy
Taffy, Why would he need to do that, when they sell them for £4 in Wilkinsons in his City?.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 1:13 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
lol..Sally..wow..how do you really feel???..
Oh no! Hopefully it was obvious that I was teasing .... no one in their right mind would enjoy a pickled egg.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Oh no! Hopefully it was obvious that I was teasing .... no one in their right mind would enjoy a pickled egg.
I knew you where joking..I was just messin with you..
Old Jan 12th 2011, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Well I fell for it.

We have pickled walnuts so why not the pickled egg thing?

Cheers
Old Jan 12th 2011, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Don't get me wrong I still want to go back and live in Blighty but I had a lot of good American things happen today.

I ordered a landline telephone today and it will be running tomorrow. Such service.

I opened a bank account today and they give me checks there and then and they are going to pay me a whole $125 opening an a new account.

I went to a dermatologist today and it didn't cost me a thing (insurance covered it) No waiting. In and out.

I have an operation in two weeks. No cost. In and out.

I got free sugar diabetes test sticks today no charge.

The only downer is I tested my blood sugar today and its still high, 174, after abstaining from all things containing sugar for two days.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dunroving
Well, I don't drink Scotch, but if I did, I'd be drinking it!
I don't drink alcohol period but I love that British apple juice
Old Jan 12th 2011, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I don't drink alcohol period but I love that British apple juice
Well, I am good your day went well Cheers..
Old Jan 12th 2011, 2:53 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Oh lordy - paradise! I just had my first pickled onion! Sheer joy! wanted to share...
Old Jan 12th 2011, 2:57 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Probably. Even the soda beverage companies use a water filter in the food places when they make and sell their soda pop.
According to a close family member who is high up in management for a fast food chain in US, soda is 3¢ of syrup and water that they carbonate on site, one heck of a profit there. minimum a dollar a drink if you get small, most people buy the family size bucket drink.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 3:00 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Don't get me wrong I still want to go back and live in Blighty but I had a lot of good American things happen today.

I ordered a landline telephone today and it will be running tomorrow. Such service.

I opened a bank account today and they give me checks there and then and they are going to pay me a whole $125 opening an a new account.

I went to a dermatologist today and it didn't cost me a thing (insurance covered it) No waiting. In and out.

The only downer is I tested my blood sugar today and its still high, 174, after abstaining from all things containing sugar for two days.
Drink water, and stay away from artificial sweeteners, it'll get your sugar down. I had a patient who downed a ton of diet drinks daily, I talked her into cutting it to one and she substituted ice tea with fresh lemon no sugar and in a week her blood sugars were so much better. I'd read an article in a medical mag that was talking about the artificial sweeteners and blood sugar control
Old Jan 12th 2011, 4:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Cheers, Just curious, What Insurance Company are you with?

By the way, You sure love phones dont you, I remember our last chat about them, Enjoy your New landline, I love mine, it works when the power is out and the cell phone towers are down, cant beat it.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
First since returning in September... I remember pickled eggs from my pub visiting days in Devon. Not too keen on those. Sorry, apologies to your Dad.
My mum & dad used to own a pub in Somerset and many folk ordered a pickled egg from the large jar on the bar and a packet of crisps and put the egg in the bag. Tried one once ...not my thing for sure.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 9:26 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I always thought this too, but every UK visitor we ever have hates the imported tea bags we buy.
Could be the water though, Sally. Maybe there's some uber-secret ingredient in British water that we don't know about!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.