Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 11th 2011, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by trottytrue
For those of you who are already home do you find a difference in Tea. Someone mentioned they didnt think the Tea exported to the US is the same as that you buy in the UK. Sorry I forgot who mentioned it. But do any of you find you like UK Tea better. I remember when I first met my husband I gave him a cup of tea I failed to mention he should not drink to the bottom of the cup. He drank right down to the bottom tea leaves included. I wish you could have seen his face. My Mum always used loose Tea back then. Not sure teabags were a big deal in the 70's. Even now when I drink a cup of tea I always tend to leave a little bit in the bottom must be habit.
TT That the buyers choose your house, we are waiting to hear from a family that have viewed our house twice so I know how nerve wracking it is. I love your posts, please carry on, they are much appreciated, I find this thread very inspiring, good vibes to everyone.

Good luck Jackie that the results are clear, take care Cheers, there is diabetes in the family so I try to steer clear of sugar, I believe Type 2 diabetes can be controlled with diet (the low G.I. (Glycaemic index) diet = rich in beans, pulses, porridge and the like is supposed to be very good for diabetics.

Rodney, I have a wireless modem and can carry the laptop all over the house, I am at my son's house and he has one too, in fact there are three computers in the flat all using his wireless modem, or am I missing the point, wouldn't be the first time, LOL I am not at all technical. Looking forward to hearing what is pissing you off with the UK.

The tea in Italy is weak and awful (tastes like the dust at the bottom of the tea chest), my family bring me over Yorkshire Teabags, it's delicious.

Last edited by PAT M; Jan 11th 2011 at 8:59 am. Reason: Added info
Old Jan 11th 2011, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Rod: A way around the problem could be to go wireless. Your computer is already wireless capable - all the new ones are - you would just have to call your Internet provider and ask if there is an extra charge or if it is already included in your service. That way you can have the modem where it is next to the phone jack, and use your computer wherever you want to. I think you may have to add on a router - but ask your provider that, I am not a computer geek - just a user. I have used wireless exclusively since being in the UK - except at the poor service at the public library. Rosie
Hi Rosie,
My laptop (IS) WIRELESS and my internet provider BT is wireless, I can take my laptop anywhere in the house, upstairs downstairs out in the garden on a nice day in the Summer
but you see the modem itself isn't wireless of course, it has to be plugged in to an outlet and also into the phone jack,
I just need a simple US type nice thin flexible regular run of the mill extension cord that is ten feet long, but so far it looks like the European standard cord for extension cords is the standard thick cord that we only use in US for surge protectors, try tacking that to the skirting board
take care,
Rodney.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

Taffy Duck is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jasper123
No Ray I didn't ask for the engineer from BT first they charge £99 to install the router/modem and thats all they do, 15 minute Job, and the sales rep on the phone at Bt said its so easy to set up your modem on your own, well she was right there, its very easy even for me, I had no problem doing that, I asked BT how much they charge to install a phone jack in to the living room and they said they charge £130, but they said some electrician could do it cheaper maybe, that would be Ideal cause then I could have my Modem right by my laptop on the table in the living room,
Maybe I will google phone jack installation and see what It comes up with,
Rodney.
Hey Rodney all you have to do is go down to your local pub, talk to a few people about your dilema and "Bob's your Uncle" somebody will come to your recue and say quote " I know a mate of mine that will do it for few quid on the side" and that's all there is to it ( sorted )

cheers....Taffy
Old Jan 11th 2011, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Hi Rodney. I am 58 now - and single/divorced. There's no way I can stay in the U.S. until I am 65. I can't stand it anymore. Three years - until I am 62 is a stretch but is probably realistic. I have no family over there so I wanted to start receiving either my SS or pension from the U.S. as soon as I arrive in the UK as a security blanket. I do plan to work until I am 65, though.
High windsong, well all I can say then if I was in your position and 58 then I would indeed myself at least wait until your 62 so you can have your S/S from the US, and that will help you in UK and as you say if you intend to work till 65 it will all turn out good for you,
And when you (are) 65 your private work pension will kick in and you should be able to pack in work,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 1:19 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

DDL..Your remarks on the panto took me back many years to when I went, we always made the trip after Christmas and it was a family affair. Can I ask were the tickets expensive and howabout parking.
Trotty, Mum treated us (and a couple other family members as well) so I don't know about the cost but we saw the panto at the theatre in Woking so you can probably Google it to find out ticcie costs.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 1:29 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by cheers
Anyone out there with diabetes?
Tony has Type 2 diabetes, Cheers. He is 51 years old and it was diagnosed in the States about 2-3 years ago. He's on several different medications and seems to be doing very well. He does not watch his diet, I might add.

He has 1 brother (age 51) and 1 sister (age 53) who have diabetes as well but they are both on insulin injections.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately my family is full of diabetes. My Gt. Nephew has type 1 he was diagnosed at 11 he went into a coma before they realized what he had he uses the pump. My brother has type 1 brought on by age by diet and drink he has injections. My nephew also has it he takes pills for it. Both my brother and nephew could improve greatly if they watched what they eat but they don't. My husband has the type that comes with age and has done very well when he keeps to his diet and came off the pills. Unfortunately he didnt do well this last time he went back for a checkup and had to go back on the pills.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 1:44 pm
DDL

For those of you who are already home do you find a difference in Tea. Someone mentioned they didnt think the Tea exported to the US is the same as that you buy in the UK. Sorry I forgot who mentioned it. But do any of you find you like UK Tea better. I remember when I first met my husband I gave him a cup of tea I failed to mention he should not drink to the bottom of the cup. He drank right down to the bottom tea leaves included. I wish you could have seen his face. My Mum always used loose Tea back then. Not sure teabags were a big deal in the 70's. Even now when I drink a cup of tea I always tend to leave a little bit in the bottom must be habit.

Hi Trotty ~

We always ordered our PG from Amazon when we lived in the States and were lucky enough to have lived in a town where the tap water was lovely so our tea always tasted great.

The water here at mum's is good so we're happy with the tea, but .... when we lived in Hounslow 7 years ago, we used bottled water for everything.

I have always heard that tea imported into the U.S. is not the same as what they sell in the U.K. (such as PG and Twinings) but frankly it doesn't make sense (or cents!). The tea that these companies either import or blend themselves costs them next to NOTHING and it's just not logical that they would put all that time and manpower into creating, what, a "weaker/cheaper" blend just to export to the U.S.? I don't think so.

If experienced tea drinkers in the U.S. can notice a difference in their tea, they either aren't using enough of it or - as is more likely the case - it's the water they are using. (And sometimes even, the milk).

Trivia: At the wholesale level, it costs about 3p to make a pot of tea! It drives me round the bend to see fancy hotels charging 3 quid (and more!!) for a pot of tea!
Old Jan 11th 2011, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

DDL. Thankyou will google just to get an idea. But panto was one of my favourites just brings back wonderful memories.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 2:18 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL

I have always heard that tea imported into the U.S. is not the same as what they sell in the U.K. (such as PG and Twinings) but frankly it doesn't make sense (or cents!). The tea that these companies either import or blend themselves costs them next to NOTHING and it's just not logical that they would put all that time and manpower into creating, what, a "weaker/cheaper" blend just to export to the U.S.? I don't think so.
I always thought this too, but every UK visitor we ever have hates the imported tea bags we buy. PG Tips, Typhoo, Yorkshire Tea - we've tried them all and they just scoff. My mother has taken to smuggling her own through customs!

They do like the Twinings loose tea though and say there is no difference between that and the UK.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 2:27 pm

Isabel_7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DDL
Hi Trotty ~

We always ordered our PG from Amazon when we lived in the States and were lucky enough to have lived in a town where the tap water was lovely so our tea always tasted great.

The water here at mum's is good so we're happy with the tea, but .... when we lived in Hounslow 7 years ago, we used bottled water for everything.

If experienced tea drinkers in the U.S. can notice a difference in their tea, they either aren't using enough of it or - as is more likely the case - it's the water they are using. (And sometimes even, the milk).

Trivia: At the wholesale level, it costs about 3p to make a pot of tea! It drives me round the bend to see fancy hotels charging 3 quid (and more!!) for a pot of tea!
Hi Denise ... I also think it is more about the water than anything else. I do not take milk or sugar in tea and am very aware of the taste differences when for example making a cup from tap water or bottled water.

Wishing you well with the ongoing job search.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv...I don't know how long it takes for your results to come back but the waiting is the worst. I remember when I had breast cancer waiting for the biopsy results was worse that knowing I had got it. So Good luck once thats out of the way you are home and free Just remember to take all your Dr records with you. My Dr. has said that he will put all my records onto a CD for me.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

My Mum was convinced that cheap tea was the sweepings from the floor of the tea factories.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Forgot to ask those who are home whats it like converting your money from the US to UK. Was it difficult.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 3:45 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi Rosie,
My laptop (IS) WIRELESS and my internet provider BT is wireless, I can take my laptop anywhere in the house, upstairs downstairs out in the garden on a nice day in the Summer
but you see the modem itself isn't wireless of course, it has to be plugged in to an outlet and also into the phone jack,
I just need a simple US type nice thin flexible regular run of the mill extension cord that is ten feet long, but so far it looks like the European standard cord for extension cords is the standard thick cord that we only use in US for surge protectors, try tacking that to the skirting board
take care,
Rodney.
Rodney:

You effectively need a phone jack next to the power socket where you will plug in your modem, is that correct?

If so, I still can't see why the suggestion that Elvira and I made (get a phone jack extension cord) won't work ... effectively, you then have a phone jack input wherever your power socket is. I'm confused ....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.