Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 10th 2011, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by bluenose123
Rod, welcome home pal, but cannot understand wher you are coming from in
relation to extention cords.I bought a 50 metre cable reel from ASDA just before Christmas,and have had no trouble with buying any lenth of cord, from a few feet upwards. Any electrical device that you buy will have a plug
already fitted, some that you cannot remove for safety's sake. You can never have to many power outlets, but older houses used to have the minimum, unless you channel the wall and run a cable to the mains.This requires a certain ammount of replastering of the walls and is the reason
extention cords are so popular.It is dangerous to have loose cords in the house, so just tack them to the skirting board
Regards Ray.
ps, It is easy to make your own, but why bother?
Hi Bluenose and thanks for the welcome home --- It is indeed great to be back home after sooooo long,
OK I think your talking about the kind of extension cord that Im talking about with the nice thin coated cord are you??? you know the ones that you could if you wanted to just wrap a whole 30 foot cord around your arm,
or are you talking about what they now call extension cords out here --- those silly things with the heavy thick white surge plastic covering the cord, so thick you cant even straighten it out let alone trying to feed it under the edge of the carpet and tacking it to the skirting board,
You see my Mums house is not too old but it was built in the 30,s and there is only one phone jack on the wall in the hall downstairs and only one up in my Mums bedroom upstairs, thats it,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 9:48 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi Bluenose and thanks for the welcome home --- It is indeed great to be back home after sooooo long,
OK I think your talking about the kind of extension cord that Im talking about with the nice thin coated cord are you??? you know the ones that you could if you wanted to just wrap a whole 30 foot cord around your arm,
or are you talking about what they now call extension cords out here --- those silly things with the heavy thick white surge plastic covering the cord, so thick you cant even straighten it out let alone trying to feed it under the edge of the carpet and tacking it to the skirting board,
You see my Mums house is not too old but it was built in the 30,s and there is only one phone jack on the wall in the hall downstairs and only one up in my Mums bedroom upstairs, thats it,
Take care,
Rodney.
Why not get an extension for the phone jack, and run it under the carpet to wherever you want your modem to be plugged in?
Old Jan 10th 2011, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
The scan went ok, except for drinking that yucky stuff, just got to wait for the results now..
Sorry to hear you have surgery, I know that is no fun, but I will think about you on my departure day. Are you sure its a good idea to go against the DRs advice..you dont want to risk getting really sick..
Jackie
I have a weakness for candy, ice cream, cake, soda and biscuits and if I can muster up the strength to completely ignore them maybe I can do something about my problem.
I think the damage is worse than what Rodney is dealing with.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

bluenose123 will become famous soon enough

Take care,
Rodney.
Rod, did you install the computer yourself, or have a service enginneer do it?
They are usually very good, and would have thought they would have made sure you were satisfied. The thickness of the cable is universal in this country
for safety purposes. I had to get an extention phone jack, but why not have
another one put in? Hope you sort it out mate, as we do not want you
tripping up. Ray.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bluenose123
Rod, did you install the computer yourself, or have a service enginneer do it?
They are usually very good, and would have thought they would have made sure you were satisfied. The thickness of the cable is universal in this country
for safety purposes. I had to get an extention phone jack, but why not have
another one put in? Hope you sort it out mate, as we do not want you
tripping up. Ray.
No Ray I didn't ask for the engineer from BT first they charge £99 to install the router/modem and thats all they do, 15 minute Job, and the sales rep on the phone at Bt said its so easy to set up your modem on your own, well she was right there, its very easy even for me, I had no problem doing that, I asked BT how much they charge to install a phone jack in to the living room and they said they charge £130, but they said some electrician could do it cheaper maybe, that would be Ideal cause then I could have my Modem right by my laptop on the table in the living room,
Maybe I will google phone jack installation and see what It comes up with,
Rodney.

Last edited by jasper123; Jan 10th 2011 at 10:22 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 10th 2011, 10:50 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Rodney Asda has the electric leads http://direct.asda.com/4-Way-2m-Exte...efault,pd.html
Never mind it's the thick white one LOL.

Last edited by Mummy in the foothills; Jan 10th 2011 at 11:39 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

SomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really nice

Originally Posted by HighTide
Fingers crossed for you here Trotty. Really hope you get some good news this week.
Best of luck TT....its soo nerve wracking waiting for the news isn't it. its your turn to be lucky
Old Jan 10th 2011, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Windsong yes it is a difficult decision to make when you are qualified for a company pension, and waiting till 65 your pension from the US will jump significantly, and then with the US S/S you will be alright here in UK, and if you waited till 65 and waited till then to claim your work pension and your US S/S you will be doing alright mate, and then you can come over and retire like me and as the Aussies say --- no worries mate !!!!
Take care and good luck on whatever decision you make, are you 60 now? cant remember do you have a spouse, as life over here with two incomes coming in does make a heck of a difference,
Take care
Rodney.
Hi Rodney. I am 58 now - and single/divorced. There's no way I can stay in the U.S. until I am 65. I can't stand it anymore. Three years - until I am 62 is a stretch but is probably realistic. I have no family over there so I wanted to start receiving either my SS or pension from the U.S. as soon as I arrive in the UK as a security blanket. I do plan to work until I am 65, though.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 11:42 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

good sugestion Elvira but in my case the problem is --- on my modem there is a power cord and so I need to plug it in to the outlet on the wall, and then I need the modem to reach the closest phone jack which is 20 feet away and the cord that BT supplies with there modems are all only a standard 10 feet long, so to make it simple all I need is my cord on the modem to be 20 feet long and then the problem solved,
So as its not then I need a 10 foot simple standard thin wire power extension cord to do the Job, --- but unfortunately they do not sell them anywhere in UK apparently --- all you can buy is those silly unpractical surge wires that have that very thick white stiff plastic coating OH YUK
Thanks though for the thought,
Take care,
Rodney.
Hold on a minute, didn't they give you a wireless modem? Mums modem is plugged in, in the hall, and has a little antenna on it, she uses the laptop anywhere in the house, as they are wireless.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Somersetgirl...Yes it is nerve racking. I want to be positive but then I think well if I think its sold then it might not be so I look on the worst side and think it will never sell and here I am in the middle They are still looking at another two
Old Jan 11th 2011, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cheers
Don,

What side of the road do they drive on Thailand? What is the most popular car there?
Cheers, The same as UK -Thailand Drive on the left. (Right hand drive vehicles) Favourite car is Toyota, but more drive pick ups, than cars. have only ever seen one Mini. I bought a new Toyota Camry Automatic, (petrol,) then had great difficulty selling it, to buy a Pick Up , again Automatic (Petrol,) which I prefer, and now, cannot sell it, so am just walking away, and leaving it. - no one will buy it, as it is Auto, Petrol, and the only engine Toyota do, in petrol, is 2.7 ltr, which all buyers refuse to consider. - have the same problem, with this Bungalow - it is 4 bed detached, which we had built in Brick, and we cannot even find anyone to rent it.!!! dontheturner
Old Jan 11th 2011, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

For those of you who are already home do you find a difference in Tea. Someone mentioned they didnt think the Tea exported to the US is the same as that you buy in the UK. Sorry I forgot who mentioned it. But do any of you find you like UK Tea better. I remember when I first met my husband I gave him a cup of tea I failed to mention he should not drink to the bottom of the cup. He drank right down to the bottom tea leaves included. I wish you could have seen his face. My Mum always used loose Tea back then. Not sure teabags were a big deal in the 70's. Even now when I drink a cup of tea I always tend to leave a little bit in the bottom must be habit.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 2:15 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by trottytrue
For those of you who are already home do you find a difference in Tea. Someone mentioned they didnt think the Tea exported to the US is the same as that you buy in the UK. Sorry I forgot who mentioned it. But do any of you find you like UK Tea better. I remember when I first met my husband I gave him a cup of tea I failed to mention he should not drink to the bottom of the cup. He drank right down to the bottom tea leaves included. I wish you could have seen his face. My Mum always used loose Tea back then. Not sure teabags were a big deal in the 70's. Even now when I drink a cup of tea I always tend to leave a little bit in the bottom must be habit.
I leave the bit at the bottom from habit, same reason I think it's the water, it does make it taste different. We used to take Tea bags to my Aunt in the 70's she lived/still lives in Spain The tea we made with the tea bags from home had a completely different taste, I liked it, my grandmother didn't much. So I would think the water in the US, would vary too, place to place so the tea will taste different.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 5:34 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

No Ray I didn't ask for the engineer from BT first le phone jack installation and see what It comes up with,
Rodney.
Hello Rodney - Easy to get your cable/lead problem sorted. Go to this site:-
http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/bin/ven...%3Apdxtcolourn
And if you do not have a Wilkinsonplus, nearby, (There are 4 in your county) or you can do it on line - Leads for Mains and Telephone extensions, are cheap and very easy to get. (The telephone is now in every room, in my UK house, as they also stock and sell the clips for fixing, to the Skirting) Regards & Take Care M8 don.

Last edited by dontheturner; Jan 11th 2011 at 5:40 am. Reason: Added
Old Jan 11th 2011, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Fish thanks for that, yes tomorrow I will go into maplins and see that bloke and see if he will do it for me, and if not I will just buy the wire and plugs and get my nephew to do it, he,s 48 and very good with his hands, he works for wimpy construction company but me Im afraid Fish I have never been any good at that kind of thing, just afraid to screw it up,
Take care,
Rodney.
Rod: A way around the problem could be to go wireless. Your computer is already wireless capable - all the new ones are - you would just have to call your Internet provider and ask if there is an extra charge or if it is already included in your service. That way you can have the modem where it is next to the phone jack, and use your computer wherever you want to. I think you may have to add on a router - but ask your provider that, I am not a computer geek - just a user. I have used wireless exclusively since being in the UK - except at the poor service at the public library. Rosie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.