Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 10th 2011, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

So Jackie how did the scan go today?
I will remember your departure date because they scheduled me for a very minor surgery for that date.
Tomorrow I go to see the dermatologist for some skin work.
Saw the internist today and they want to put me on insulin. I said I didn't want to do that and said I will bring down my sugar on my own. The DA said he would make a note that I wasn't going to take insulin against the doctors advice.
Happy trails.

Anyone out there with diabetes?
Old Jan 10th 2011, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Yes, if there is a Maplin's locally, it's probably better for basic electrical products rather than Asda or Tesco, IMO.
Yes Islandwoman and dunroving that is the electric store I went to ----Maplins, and they only have the extension cords covered in that silly real thick white heavy plastic coating that you cant even straighten out, you pull it and pull it and it never untangles so what the heck is the good of that, absolutely useless worse then useless, well thanks to the EU, they said that they banned the regular flex power extension cords in UK years ago, the guy in Matlins said for safety reasons, so thats it thats the only way just like the nice chap or bloke in Matlins said, he said all that Fish said about the male and female wires ---- how electricfying to say the least, I dont know what to do about making a plug, my brother in law was very good at that though --- I even watched him do it once many years ago pity I didn't take more notice, cant ask him do it now though hes dead now,
Oh well I will figure it out thanks you two and Fish and others for your advice though,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I will remember your departure date because they scheduled me for a very minor surgery for that date.
Saw the internist today and they want to put me on insulin. I said I didn't want to do that and said I will bring down my sugar on my own. The DA said he would make a note that I wasn't going to take insulin against the doctors advice.
Happy trails.

The scan went ok, except for drinking that yucky stuff, just got to wait for the results now..
Sorry to hear you have surgery, I know that is no fun, but I will think about you on my departure day. Are you sure its a good idea to go against the DRs advice..you dont want to risk getting really sick..
Jackie
Old Jan 10th 2011, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Mallory... the house showing went well. They are thinking about ours and another one. But have not heard back yet. Would love to know what the other one looks like.
I have learnt such alot on this forum about going home and details I had never thought about. Taking the dog via the ship was top of my list but because of this forum I find out that there is a waiting list of 2 years. Still I have all that information bookmarked and much much more that one day will come in very handy and I do post at regular intervals and will post if anyone wants it.
Each person that goes home comes back to the forum with different aspects of life back in the UK and also lots of news and information all very helpful and also they are in different parts of the country.
I think the thing I learnt most is patience and perserverence. Each time we get knocked down we get up and start again thats what I learnt from ED. And from all those that have gone home the perserverence to carry on and keep going for it, sometimes they do have a difficult time
We started this thread in September 2009 before my husband became sick and before my daughter had her brain op and my grandson was born with a bad foot but I only once wanted to give up but on seeing other peoples post and seeing their perseverence I decided I could do it and although its not happened yet it will one day.
fantastic post TT and thank you for starting the thread, don't be cast down by the recent blips and glitches on it, I still think we are a nice bunch....and i think it was a good idea to pit US health care stuff on another thread...
DO hope these potential buyers choose YOUR HOUSE!

yes, the pereseverance of ED and others including you is inspiring!

Denise DDL i love yr posts from England, keep it up!

Tina
Old Jan 10th 2011, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Yes Islandwoman and dunroving that is the electric store I went to ----Maplins, and they only have the extension cords covered in that silly real thick white heavy plastic coating that you cant even straighten out, you pull it and pull it and it never untangles so what the heck is the good of that, absolutely useless worse then useless, well thanks to the EU, they said that they banned the regular flex power extension cords in UK years ago, the guy in Matlins said for safety reasons, so thats it thats the only way just like the nice chap or bloke in Matlins said, he said all that Fish said about the male and female wires ---- how electricfying to say the least, I dont know what to do about making a plug, my brother in law was very good at that though --- I even watched him do it once many years ago pity I didn't take more notice, cant ask him do it now though hes dead now,
Oh well I will figure it out thanks you two and Fish and others for your advice though,
Take care,
Rodney.

We all love the Control of the EU, I never liked the idea...

Wiring a plug is simple stuff, green or brown to earth, Red is positive and Black negative, be sure to tighten up where the wire enters the plug so it doesn't come lose, but like you say slip the guy a few quid and he will do it of you, or someone in the family will do it, Brits are used to putting plugs on everything, so its no biggy Rod, you'll get the hang of it... just wait n see... Good Luck Pal...
Old Jan 10th 2011, 8:51 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Take care,
Rodney.
Have you thought about doing it the other way 'round: getting an extension lead for the phone and moving your laptop to a convenient power-point?

You can get various phone extension leads at Argos - some of then very long - and they are thin. And very cheap too.

I got the Masterplug Standard 15 Metre Extension Cable Reel, and you can plus both the Internet router and a phone into it at the same time.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5520255/c_1/1|category_root|Office%2C+PCs+and+phones|14418968/c_2/3|15701358|Telephones|14418985/c_3/4|cat_14418985|Telephone+accessories|14418992.htm

HTH
Old Jan 10th 2011, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Have you thought about doing it the other way 'round: getting an extension lead for the phone and moving your laptop to a convenient power-point?

You can get various phone extension leads at Argos - some of then very long - and they are thin. And very cheap too.

I got the Masterplug Standard 15 Metre Extension Cable Reel, and you can plus both the Internet router and a phone into it at the same time.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5520255/c_1/1|category_root|Office%2C+PCs+and+phones|14418968/c_2/3|15701358|Telephones|14418985/c_3/4|cat_14418985|Telephone+accessories|14418992.htm

HTH
Hey thats a Great Idea, thinking outside of the box so to speak... well done Elvira
Old Jan 10th 2011, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Thankyou for your good wishes could you keep your fingers crossed till the end of the week thats when they are going to decide.

Regarding Rice Pudding, I like semolina pudding which is ground rice Birds eye does a good one in a tin.
Fingers crossed for you here Trotty. Really hope you get some good news this week.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
We all love the Control of the EU, I never liked the idea...

Wiring a plug is simple stuff, green or brown to earth, Red is positive and Black negative, be sure to tighten up where the wire enters the plug so it doesn't come lose, but like you say slip the guy a few quid and he will do it of you, or someone in the family will do it, Brits are used to putting plugs on everything, so its no biggy Rod, you'll get the hang of it... just wait n see... Good Luck Pal...
Hey Fish thanks for that, yes tomorrow I will go into maplins and see that bloke and see if he will do it for me, and if not I will just buy the wire and plugs and get my nephew to do it, he,s 48 and very good with his hands, he works for wimpy construction company but me Im afraid Fish I have never been any good at that kind of thing, just afraid to screw it up,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

bluenose123 will become famous soon enough

nope your not even close my friend, in your list the only thing I have found so far is swearing from 14 year olds, I hear the boys and girls across the street at the school when they are going home, pretty filthy mouths I would say, they need to be washed out with a nice perfumed bar of soap,
But thats it, havent heard adults swearing yet, --- I think the kids just pick it up from the TV programs that they watch,
no my list is quite small and I will post them tomorrow maybe, but one that comes to mind now is when my Modem/router was delivered last week the power cord needed to be plugged in to a socket close to the phone jack of course, but the nearest power wall socket to the only downstairs phone jack was too far away to reach the phone jack ---- so all I needed to buy was a 10 foot extension cable, ----- so if I were in Vegas I would have just gone into Walmart and bought it for about $3 and thats it, so I just took a trip to Asda and they had nothing but big thick white cord power surges, so I found a couple of electrical shops and they didn't even know what I was talking about when I asked for an extension cord,
Apparently UK used to have them and they were the same straight forward ones like ours in US but since UK joined the EU Germany who runs it told us here years ago that we cant have those nice managable easy to use thin extension cords anymore, and just like everything they tell the UK to do we just jump and do it, but thank goodness we were at least able to keep the pound, that took a big fight on the British Governments to be able to keep our pound so hats off to that,
So I just have to sit my modem on the floor in the hallway just by the door across from the phone, its alright as long as we remember that when we open front door to not open it too far to knock it,
Rodney.
Rod, welcome home pal, but cannot understand wher you are coming from in
relation to extention cords.I bought a 50 metre cable reel from ASDA just before Christmas,and have had no trouble with buying any lenth of cord, from a few feet upwards. Any electrical device that you buy will have a plug
already fitted, some that you cannot remove for safety's sake. You can never have to many power outlets, but older houses used to have the minimum, unless you channel the wall and run a cable to the mains.This requires a certain ammount of replastering of the walls and is the reason
extention cords are so popular.It is dangerous to have loose cords in the house, so just tack them to the skirting board
Regards Ray.
ps, It is easy to make your own, but why bother?
Old Jan 10th 2011, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hey Fish thanks for that, yes tomorrow I will go into maplins and see that bloke and see if he will do it for me, and if not I will just buy the wire and plugs and get my nephew to do it, he,s 48 and very good with his hands, he works for wimpy construction company but me Im afraid Fish I have never been any good at that kind of thing, just afraid to screw it up,
Take care,
Rodney.
Thats OK Rod, I dont feel comfortable with gas so I always call a Pro, thats the safest way.
No pun...
Old Jan 10th 2011, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Elvira

HTH
good sugestion Elvira but in my case the problem is --- on my modem there is a power cord and so I need to plug it in to the outlet on the wall, and then I need the modem to reach the closest phone jack which is 20 feet away and the cord that BT supplies with there modems are all only a standard 10 feet long, so to make it simple all I need is my cord on the modem to be 20 feet long and then the problem solved,
So as its not then I need a 10 foot simple standard thin wire power extension cord to do the Job, --- but unfortunately they do not sell them anywhere in UK apparently --- all you can buy is those silly unpractical surge wires that have that very thick white stiff plastic coating OH YUK
Thanks though for the thought,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Rodney, I don't know if these links are any use for extension cables...

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...SION+CABLE.htm
(cable doesn't look too thick, doesn't say surge protection)

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=10549063&fh_view _size=10&fh_eds=%3f&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2f en_GB%2fcategories%3C{9372187}&fh_search=extension +cable&fh_refview=search&ts=1294699011726&isSearch =false

or there is the wonder that is ebay..
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/15M-2-WAY-GANG...item4ce98ab8ed

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HEAVY-DUTY-4WA...item588bc2d9ee

they all look similar to ones we have at home, which aren't ridiculously thick and sturdy!
Old Jan 10th 2011, 9:42 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Fish, yes your right, I went into this electronic store and they said that they can sell me a plug and the wire I need to thread into the plug and make an extension power cord myself, he said thats the only way to do it these days, he asked me have I done this before? I said no Ive just spent the last 36 years in US, he said yes I understand, and he said that if you dont know what to do once you bare and split the wire if you put one wire in the wrong place on the plug it can be very dangerous,
Im going to go back to that store and ask him if he can do it for me for a small fee, or maybe I will ask my Nephew on Wednesday, he,s coming around then to put the christmas decorations up in the attic, he does it every year,
or I could send the plug and wire to you fish and maybe you could do it for me
well take it east Fish,
Rodney.
What kind of wide boy is he? Of course you can buy an extension cord!! You can get one for a fiver or less .... do not go back and pay him to do it for you, he sounds like a right likely lad.

[Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you need - a thin extension cord? Not sure I've ever seen such a thing in the UK, ready-made or home-made. I mean the actual lead on a lot of electrical devices (e.g., laptops) is "thick" for a reason - to prevent kinking and insulate the 240V ...

Last edited by dunroving; Jan 10th 2011 at 9:46 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 9:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Happy trails.

You may be interested in this thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.