Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 9th 2011, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Goodheavens considering I thought it was a good idea to start a new thread about healthcare and get into it deeper as some people wanted to and needed to I think what was forgotten was that I apologized to ldyinlv for not understand her post. I honestly thought this bunch were a nice bunch of people and would understand what I was doing but from the remarks posted on the other sight I really got it wrong.

DDL..You are an American citizen do they allow you all the facilities a UK citizen has when visiting the doctors.

Rodney....Glad your computer is up and running what do you think of the bus service in your area. Did you say you Mum still drives.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
True. And on the other hand, my husband - with a family history of fatal heart disease - has been waiting almost 3 months now for a simple angiogram appointment. The doctors know his family history, they know the symptoms he has and continues to have (i.e., chest pain). If he were to have a heart attack in the meantime, I'm sure I would have gladly paid anything so that he could have had the tests run.
Why not offer to pay for test, thats what I would do if I was worried. Not Joking.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Oh - all the best. I'll be thinking of you and hope everything goes okay and you get good news!
Thank you Derry, it is appreciated..
Old Jan 9th 2011, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Huhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I want to scream...

You cant make rules then change them every five minutes to suit yourself, Or am I missing something here?...
Old Jan 9th 2011, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
LOL Fish
Old Jan 9th 2011, 11:28 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by trottytrue
DDL..You are an American citizen do they allow you all the facilities a UK citizen has when visiting the doctors.
Yes, because I am the spouse of a British citizen. (I am also a Permanent UK Resident, but that's beside the point when it involves healthcare.)I worked in the UK when I lived here before and paid my taxes, and I'm looking for work now and will pay my taxes once I start work again. You don't have to be a UK citizen in order to access healthcare. You don't even have to be legal. The illegals/asylum seekers not only have access to healthcare, but somehow or other seem to get free housing and other benefits. Their human rights certainly seem to take precedence over all others. The government can't do enough for them.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Good luck ladyinlv!

Horror stories are what we Brits do better than anyone. Whereas the US press reflects the optimism of American culture and therefore puts a positive spin on the country at all times, we Brits prefer to flay ourselves by constantly pointing out how awful we are.

There are horror stories in both healthcare systems - it's just that one country has the Daily mail and one doesn't.

I waited 9 months for my first mammogram at 40 despite risk factors. Luckily I was OK, but there are huge waiting lists in this area for that routine and so crucial test.
Thankyou...
Old Jan 9th 2011, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

You cant make rules then change them every five minutes to suit yourself, Or am I missing something here?...
Im just going with the flow Fish....lol
Old Jan 9th 2011, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Im just going with the flow Fish....lol
It's a load of rubbish, isn't it?
Old Jan 9th 2011, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
that is true, but if you dont have the money here, you are just out of luck..
Yes - you just die!! (and no - I'm not joking).
Old Jan 9th 2011, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
I have never heard of making it with pasta

I think to make a decent rice pudding here you should try rice flakes ,or rissoto (sp? ) rice ,is that the one you use ?
I should have used the word "grain" instead of pasta.

To make rice pudding, I use medium grain white rice. I don't have a clue what to use for macaroni pudding, though.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Yes - I was thinking the exact same thing myself!!!
Old Jan 9th 2011, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Yes - you just die!! (and no - I'm not joking).
You hit the nail on the head! This is the sad truth that took so many years to sink into my brain. Then, when it did, it took another ten years of saying to myself that it couldn't possible be true. When I realized it IS true, I was filled with fear and panic and finally made the decision to make a move back to the UK.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DDL
1. To make rice pudding in the States, all you need to use is long grain rice.

2. To make rice pudding in the UK, they sell what is called dessert rice.

Both the above based upon personal experience.
Thanks, DDL. I know how to make rice pudding. The problem is how to make macaroni pudding in the U.S. - what grain to use.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SomersetGirl
I thought you made rice pudding with round rice and macaroni with "macaroni"
I can't find any grain in the U.S. called "macaroni", so I tried it with elbow macaroni (I think that is what it is called or perhaps just "elbows"). It was horrible and nothing like macaroni pudding.

Now can we please have a separate thread for macaroni pudding? (Teasing!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.