Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 7th 2011, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by HighSpeedGrandma
Hubby in the US (American) always knew my plan was to return to the UK and all along said he was on board with it. UNTIL I actually said the time was right (over five years ago) and began making plans and trying to involve him.

By his actions he showed that he was not interested in moving to the UK. So I pushed the point and said if he didn't want to come then I was going to do it alone.
Then my daughter and her hubby came to Hong Kong. They offered me the chance to come out and spend some time with them after being away for most of their lives. I quit my job and told hubby I was coming to HK for a few months.
I said we could split everything amicably and move on, because with or without him I was doing this. So he said go ahead and do what you need to do. He said he didn't want a divorce, and would be here if I need him. He said "I am going nowhere", meaning he was fine being in the house, paying the mortgage and plodding along. He said I will stay here till we HAVE equity in the house again, and then see how things are.

So in a nutshell. I don't think he will want to come to the UK. I don't know for 100% sure whether I will be totally happy in the UK, but I need to find out.
I am doing what I need to do to find out where I want to spend the rest of my life. I have spent the last 25 years of my life trying to please everyone else, one way or another. I just felt that life was passing me by and I was missing something.

So that is why I am where I am today.

In a nutshell! I a sure you don't want to spend sixteen hours reading the unabridged version.
Hello High Speed.

I must say that I love your honesty and free spirit, plus your relation ship with your EX.

Its a shame that people make promies then cant or wont live up to them, Maybe hubby #2 thought he could win you over and keep you happy in the USA, the sad part is if he's never been in your position he will never understand how difficult it really is for you, if only he would give it a shot he just might enjoy the UK.

I dont blame you for taking a stand, time moves on with us or without us, I think five years is plenty of time for him to get used to the idea, on the good side, at least he hasn't got you in shackles.

Take Care and give us the 16 hour version next time.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by DDL
Hello Rovers

Just an update...

[/INDENT]Just finishing off a cup of tea and slice of Christmas Cake. Life is good.
Hello DDL, loved your update, Jobs etc.
Im happy that things are going well for you, for an American lady you seem more in to England than most Brits I know.

The Panto, Wow I havent been to one of them in years, Id forgot they existed, when you said Panto two words came to my mind, Widow Twanky.

Enjoy yourself and keep posting.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

i can still remember 30 plus years ago seeing 2 Ronnies in a panto and lauged my arse off at Ronnie Barker if I remember correctly dressed as a fairy in a tutu.. great entertainer and sorely missed.. surely one of best shows ever has to be Porridge!
Old Jan 7th 2011, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fulwood
i can still remember 30 plus years ago seeing 2 Ronnies in a panto and lauged my arse off at Ronnie Barker if I remember correctly dressed as a fairy in a tutu.. great entertainer and sorely missed.. surely one of best shows ever has to be Porridge!
Porridge with Richard Bekinsale, I remember it well, another good one was Open all hours with David Jason.

The Two Ronnies in a panto must have been Great.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 5:11 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

DDL...Great update. I would love to go to another Panto so much fun. Dont forget to join in when they ask you questions. The audience is part of the Panto. Hope everything turns out well with the job. They must be interested to ask you back. Rain is not bad as long as its not too cold. I never minded walking in the rain.

HighSpeedGrandma...Thanks for filling us in. Sounds to me like your going to be fine and sharing with your ex will be okay. If OH is happy in the US then so be it. You have done your share of living abroad now its your time to be home. Cant wait for you to get there. I dont think you will be out of a job for long then you can get on with your life. 5 weeks in the US will be another holiday and time to decide what you are going to take back with you.

Quoll..Nice to hear from you will have to scroll back and see what you had to say. have been busy cleaning house again....someone is coming to see the place on Sunday. But they are also seeing 8 others Still have to go through the same routine you never know... problem is there is suppose to be a snowstorm this weekend hope it gets out of the way by Sunday.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
have been busy cleaning house again....someone is coming to see the place on Sunday. But they are also seeing 8 others Still have to go through the same routine you never know... problem is there is suppose to be a snowstorm this weekend hope it gets out of the way by Sunday.

Oh Trotty best of luck for this showing. I do hope they love your house...remember you just need that one buyer who likes what you liked about it, who appreciates the vibe of that particular house...or perhaps who just needs something practical your house offers, like a certain type or location of bathroom....we found a buyer back in July in the direst of markets, so you just never know.

Tina
Old Jan 7th 2011, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by trottytrue
DDL...Great update. I would love to go to
through the same routine you never know... problem is there is suppose to be a snowstorm this weekend hope it gets out of the way by Sunday.
Hello TT, Good Luck with the Sunday Viewing - you never can tell, shall keep everything crossed for you - I cannot believe they have 8 to view! How? by the time, folks had viewed the Bungalow we were selling a few years back, (with the size of the cottage garden), they had no energy to view any more!

Best Wishes, for a successful outcome! Love Don & Tim xx
Old Jan 7th 2011, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone from Canada who can tell me how they did on getting a UK drivers license? I know they are transferable but did they put a restriction on what type of transmission you could use in the UK. I think it depends on which province you have a Canadian licence from?

I think there maybe a trend in the US for stick shifts to become more popular and in the UK people are buying more Automatics so go and figure?
Old Jan 7th 2011, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

SomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really nice

Originally Posted by cheers
Anyone from Canada who can tell me how they did on getting a UK drivers license? I know they are transferable but did they put a restriction on what type of transmission you could use in the UK. I think it depends on which province you have a Canadian licence from?

I think there maybe a trend in the US for stick shifts to become more popular and in the UK people are buying more Automatics so go and figure?
Cheers, There is a previous post from Ciderman which might answer your question. Its on Returning to the UK thread, on page 4. The title is Do I Need to Take a Driving Test?
Old Jan 7th 2011, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SomersetGirl
Cheers, There is a previous post from Ciderman which might answer your question. Its on Returning to the UK thread, on page 4. The title is Do I Need to Take a Driving Test?
Tarr Ducks
Old Jan 7th 2011, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Check out this YouTube if you fancy a ride in the country around Oswestry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PjjP...eature=related

Happy trails.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

Thank you, have enjoyed reading all the updates, hope Rodney and CelticSpirit are OK. Good luck Trotty with the viewing on Sunday. A family returned for a second viewing of our house and the agent told us that they like it very much but the mother of the family is "sceptical" whatever that means. The contract with the agency ends in a few weeks and we shall market it ourselves. I loved the poem Jackie about England. We are staying with our son in Umbria, the other day we were on our way to Assisi and passed Assisi War Cemetary where 900 allied service people are buried, it was very moving seeing their young ages - 18 to early 30's. We signed the visitor's book and honoured their sacrifice, that poem would have been very appropriate.

We celebrate our Ruby wedding in May and would like to visit Ireland, we have never been there and would love to see Dublin and Eire. Derrygal and all, I would really appreciate any comments/advice on where to stay, perhaps an old castle something like that.

Not long now Don and Beedubya and Jackie, good luck all and best wishes DDL on the job prospects.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hello Cheers, Automatics are more popular than they were in the UK but still manual tranny rules by a long distance, if you should need a small car with automatic they are available.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, they put an automatic restriction on your liscence unless you can prove that you have taken your test in a car with a manual. It took all of 15 minuets to change over to UK liscence, and that included waiting in the que. I think it cost me £50.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Yes, they put an automatic restriction on your liscence unless you can prove that you have taken your test in a car with a manual. It took all of 15 minuets to change over to UK liscence, and that included waiting in the que. I think it cost me £50.
I have never driven a stick shift, can I get a license just based on driving an automatic...??? (just got here, havent read the thread yet, sorry if that has been answered already..lol.)
Jackie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.