Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 2nd 2011, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by dunroving
Yes, I mentioned it in my earlier post because the friend in question is a very logical person (which you need to be if you are a lawyer), not because I think the above ... though I think the reputation of the profession does suffer due to the number of mercenary lawsuits these days, in the US and in the UK.

I'm sure your daughter is one of the exceptions.
Yes - my daughter is one of the exceptions - and - unfortunately she is an unemployed lawyer at the moment - they're a lot of them here right now due to the economy. She's kept her law license, but is back in school (more student loans) training for, what she hopes will be a recession-proof job, in the health care field.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
Derrygal, thanks for info on Ireland. Really looking forward to it. I thank you for the info on the buses that really helps. i can't drive manual car - only learned in automatic and at nearly 50 not going to learn either! On to topic of dogs.. I love dogs and my brother and I foster dogs for a rescue group. I cry every time one finds a good home but get over it. We do have our own nutcase of a dog so when a foster dog leaves our home we have our dog. i couldn't manage otherwise. I stated before whenever I do my 1 year trial period in UK to see if could move back for good he will travel with me on QM2 or stay here if brother decides not to come with me. Our rescue group took in 14 dogs over Xmas holidays as particularly bad time for dog dumping in the US. Some were as young as 3 months old and on the euthanasia list.
You're welcome - you could probably rent an automatic vehicle over there though - I know they do a lot more of them than they used to. I was with my sister and she prefers a manual - that's why I didn't drive.
That is so sad - all those animals being dumped over Christmas. I don't understand the mentality of people who do that. I understand, that now and then there can be extenuating circumstances why people cannot keep their animals (thinking of the large number of home foreclosesures in the US in the past year) but some people just think they can give them back - just like Dunroving mentioned in a previous post - like returning a television to Walmart.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

Tanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really nice

Originally Posted by Simon Legree

Thank you!!!
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 5:40 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
DR,

I'm guessing you are single?

Cheers
What does being single have to do with it? I'm married and my husband and I have 4 cats - plus 2 outdoor cats that we feed. We love animals and we want to share our home with little souls who need a home of their own. They cost us a fortune in food and vets' bills, they destroy the furniture, and they make going on holiday very inconvenient, but we can't even think of life without them. They bring us joy every day. We would no more leave them behind when we move than we would leave each other behind.

Loved your story Dunrovin - sounds like you and Suzy are lucky to have found each other.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
What does being single have to do with it? I'm married and my husband and I have 4 cats - plus 2 outdoor cats that we feed. We love animals and we want to share our home with little souls who need a home of their own. They cost us a fortune in food and vets' bills, they destroy the furniture, and they make going on holiday very inconvenient, but we can't even think of life without them. They bring us joy every day. We would no more leave them behind when we move than we would leave each other behind.

Loved your story Dunrovin - sounds like you and Suzy are lucky to have found each other.
Beautiful, Sally! They are precious little souls, aren't they My pets bring so much joy and love to my life
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm sure Cheers didn't mean anything malicious when he asked Dunroving if he was single. He was probably referring to the part where Dunroving mentioned his dog getting him up in the morning (as opposed to a spouse/partner getting you up in the morning). There are plenty of married couples who are animal lovers and pet owners and also plenty of single people. I do know of some single people who were previously married and after they found themselves on their own went to the animal shelter and found themselves a companion animal to love and share their lives with and that is perfectly fine. I've always had cats, when I was a child, when I was married and now that I'm on my own. It really doesn't matter as long as the animals are wanted and loved.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 7:52 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
I'm sure Cheers didn't mean anything malicious when he asked Dunroving if he was single. He was probably referring to the part where Dunroving mentioned his dog getting him up in the morning (as opposed to a spouse/partner getting you up in the morning). There are plenty of married couples who are animal lovers and pet owners and also plenty of single people. I do know of some single people who were previously married and after they found themselves on their own went to the animal shelter and found themselves a companion animal to love and share their lives with and that is perfectly fine. I've always had cats, when I was a child, when I was married and now that I'm on my own. It really doesn't matter as long as the animals are wanted and loved.

Nope, I didn't see anything personal in the question, either. I missed the slight tizzy caused by it.

For the record, I fly solo with my canine co-pilot.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 8:38 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Beedubya....Yes its been a long time since we first put the house up for sale. Someone was suppose to come and see it today and what with my son and his family coming over yesterday and me trying to clean everything I was exhausted. At about 4 in the afternoon I got a phone call from the estate agent saying the people who were coming to look at the house had cancelled. They had taken a drive past the place and didnt like the look of it. I really am tired of the whole thing. I can see how people get really disheartened and give up. Must be the Welsh, Irish and Scots in me that wont let me give up. But dont feel that chirpy today. I have this volcano inside of me and one of these days its going to let go and those around me had better stand back if they know whats good for them. Between the estate agent my OH and my children and my brother its a toss up as to who would get the worst of it. I cannot put my Grandchildren into that statement although they were not very well behaved yesterday but I cant blame them its the parents fault.

My daughter worked for the animal rescue in town and said that all sorts of people gave their animals up for adoption for the silliest of reasons. She would get very angry. Her saying is "Love me Love my Animals".
Sorry about another let down TT, all I can say is that you are INCREDIBLY patient!!

Oh I know that volcanic feeling, I let rip at my son in some emails last week and he said he was shocked!!!! But now and then you have to give it to your kids because nobody else will tell them like their parents can, I believe they call it "tough love" on the TV shows.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

trotty I am on way round with 2 galaxies and a box of Cherry Bakewells, ( not Mr Kipling I am afraid some generic brand from Lidal but beggars cant be choosers!)
See you in about 45 mins.......

Everyone else, have a fun evening what ever you do, Dunroving, bless your heart for giving Suzy a home, we have rescued two dogs since we lost our 14 year old Suzy 5 years ago........and fostered a few too.....

Barb 54 days
jackie 24 I think....wow er 3 and a bit weeks sounds less.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 9:34 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
I'm sure Cheers didn't mean anything malicious when he asked Dunroving if he was single.
I didn't think he did mean anything malicious and certainly didn't mean to imply that.

Trotty, so sorry that you had another disappointment with the house. Would dropping the price be a possibility? It's hard to know how the market is going to be this year. The economy is showing a lot of good signs, but there are so many foreclosed houses that they're holding the market back. Some people are predicting a recovery in the housing market towards the end of this year and some people are predicting another drop. Who knows who to believe.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Jan 2nd 2011 at 9:39 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't think he did mean anything malicious and certainly didn't mean to imply that.

Trotty, so sorry that you had another disappointment with the house. Would dropping the price be a possibility? It's hard to know how the market is going to be this year. The economy is showing a lot of good signs, but there are so many foreclosed houses that they're holding the market back. Some people are predicting a recovery in the housing market towards the end of this year and some people are predicting another drop. Who knows who to believe.
Springtime is usually a better time of year to try to sell. I would think you may have some luck then.

Predictions seem to be all over the place, although I have mostly read they will drop further. Even so, spring is still the best time to sell to get the best price. I don't see how they can drop any further. Prices here in my state in the midwest say that homes are worth 1/3 of what they were worth six years ago, especially if it is a condo.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by windsong
Springtime is usually a better time of year to try to sell. I would think you may have some luck then.

Predictions seem to be all over the place, although I have mostly read they will drop further. Even so, spring is still the best time to sell to get the best price. I don't see how they can drop any further. Prices here in my state in the midwest say that homes are worth 1/3 of what they were worth six years ago, especially if it is a condo.
Wow - I hope that isn't true - 1/3 of the cost! I think here in Ohio prices have dropped about 25%, but nothing is selling at the moment, so it's really hard to say. There are a couple of condos in my development that have been on the market for close to 2 years. It's very sad - I do hope things pick up in the spring. It's very annoying to get your house all ready for someone to come and view it and then they don't show up. No wonder you're feeling like a volcano Trotty! I just hope things improve in the spring.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 10:07 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
trotty I am on way round with 2 galaxies and a box of Cherry Bakewells, ( not Mr Kipling I am afraid some generic brand from Lidal but beggars cant be choosers!)
See you in about 45 mins.......

Everyone else, have a fun evening what ever you do, Dunroving, bless your heart for giving Suzy a home, we have rescued two dogs since we lost our 14 year old Suzy 5 years ago........and fostered a few too.....

Barb 54 days jackie 24 I think....wow er 3 and a bit weeks sounds less.

Do we do the countdown for our date of arrival or how many sleeps we have left???
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya

Do we do the countdown for our date of arrival or how many sleeps we have left???
22 sleeps and a wake up for me..
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 10:10 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
22 sleeps and a wake up for me..
How are you feeling Jackie? I keep getting palpitations LOL!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.