Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 1st 2011, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
25 days and counting
Have you packed yet? You must be so excited. Hopefully I can soon follow you - hoping for early Spring - just need this dang apartment to sell!! Good luck.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

Tanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really nice

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Great idea Tanto!!!

OK we should have a pledge, anybody wins the Lotto has to buy a safe house in the UK!!!!

On another note, it is almost 9am here on New Years Day and this decade feels no different......
Thank you Barb! Happy New Year to you!!!
Got up this morning and all was quiet, so it did feel different. Last night was another thing altogether, I especially liked the 5 minutes of gunshots after midnight...........
Old Jan 1st 2011, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorac05
Have you packed yet? You must be so excited. Hopefully I can soon follow you - hoping for early Spring - just need this dang apartment to sell!! Good luck.
I am excited, just have a couple of hurdles to cross before then, but 3 of my 4 suitcases are packed..
Jackie
Old Jan 1st 2011, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

Tanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really nice

Originally Posted by HighTide
Happy New Year to everyone! Mine not started off too brilliantly as the terrible colds that seem to be very prevalent in the UK right now caught up with me yesterday and today am feeling really lousy . I've got my Lemsip and Beecham's Powders and am bundled up with blankets and plan to rid myself of it by tomorrow. That's the plan anyway.....there is just too much to do to be sick.:curse:
On a brighter side Christmas was amazing with all the family with lots of silly games at the table after dinner followed by Killer Snooker and a table tennis contest. Some of the family dressed up in fancy dress last night to go out to the pubs. In Teignmouth it is traditional for people to dress up on New Years. Apparently there were some amazing costumes around.
We watched TV with the fireworks from the London Eye and we all agreed they were the most spectacular we had ever seen.
We are still in the process of trying to buy the property in Brixham. The ball is now back in the vendors hands and with the holidays we are not likely to hear back until Tuesday. We did the second viewing on a rainy dull day and stilled loved the place.
Happy New Year David!!
So sorry you've got that cold/flu thing. Glad you had a lovely Christmas, though........interesting about the fancy dress for New Years - I wonder how far that tradition goes back?
Fingers crossed for the property in Brixham, I know you'll keep us informed!
Take care!
Old Jan 1st 2011, 5:55 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tanto
Thank you Barb! Happy New Year to you!!!
Got up this morning and all was quiet, so it did feel different. Last night was another thing altogether, I especially liked the 5 minutes of gunshots after midnight...........
Sounds like our neighborhood.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Sat here last night on my own, with a glass of red wine....watched the pathetic countdown at Nathan Philips Square on telly, and at 12 there was just silence around me. Not one single firework! Where did everyone go? No house lights on down the street...I could have been on another planet!
Old Jan 1st 2011, 7:03 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighTide
Happy New Year to everyone! Mine not started off too brilliantly as the terrible colds that seem to be very prevalent in the UK right now caught up with me yesterday and today am feeling really lousy . I've got my Lemsip and Beecham's Powders and am bundled up with blankets and plan to rid myself of it by tomorrow. That's the plan anyway.....there is just too much to do to be sick.:curse:
On a brighter side Christmas was amazing with all the family with lots of silly games at the table after dinner followed by Killer Snooker and a table tennis contest. Some of the family dressed up in fancy dress last night to go out to the pubs. In Teignmouth it is traditional for people to dress up on New Years. Apparently there were some amazing costumes around.
We watched TV with the fireworks from the London Eye and we all agreed they were the most spectacular we had ever seen.
We are still in the process of trying to buy the property in Brixham. The ball is now back in the vendors hands and with the holidays we are not likely to hear back until Tuesday. We did the second viewing on a rainy dull day and stilled loved the place.
Oh David what a beautiful part of the world you have chosen. I have just done a google and wow how absolutely gorgeous that whole area is. That is on my list of places to see too now, the only place I have been down there is Torquay I think YEARS ago, when my children were very young and we were amazed as it was our first time to see palm trees!!

I can't quite remember as this thread moves so fast, but I don't think the Brixham place is a B & B??

Hope you are soon feeling better, looks like you had a brilliant Christmas.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 7:17 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

This morning I re-visited Karim's wonderful pictures on here in The Rover's Return

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=688910

Do visit his thread, stunning photo's and a great little write-up from a French man living in England if you haven't already seen it.

Then I went googling Brixham to see where David and partner are buying:

http://www.torbayhospitality.com/

and ended up reading all the tourist stuff and I am once again stunned at myself that I REALLY did not see how beautiful Great Britain truly is until I left.

And how utterly interesting the place is!! This morning I was reading about smugglers and red sails in the sunset and the Romans and Shakespeare.........

"Absence makes the heart grow fonder" is definitely true in my case.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 7:30 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
25 days and counting
Woohoo Jackie, not long now until we start stalking and tracking you!! How exciting!!!

Don't forget to give us your flight times etc. before you depart so our expert trackers can find the correct info online.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 7:31 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Sounds like our neighborhood.
I was sitting there like huh?? Gunshots!!!
Old Jan 1st 2011, 7:36 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Wawa
Sat here last night on my own, with a glass of red wine....watched the pathetic countdown at Nathan Philips Square on telly, and at 12 there was just silence around me. Not one single firework! Where did everyone go? No house lights on down the street...I could have been on another planet!
Well it was a bit noisy here as some neighbours or somebody somewhere had fireworks and all the little dogs started yapping.

You cannot buy fireworks in these here parts as they are banned but I believe you can buy them elsewhere......
Old Jan 1st 2011, 7:54 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Ridiculously dangerous I always have bad dreams after of bullets falling back down to earth and coming straight through the roof and hitting one of the kids. I have anxiety issues
Seems like the news will report every new years day about someone being shot by accident during this new year revelry.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 8:04 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Gunshots?? Wow.

Did everyone see the London fireworks? Lots of people are saying they're the best in years. I just thought it was amazing. (Crank the speakers and make the video full screen!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy_9bx6U8_0

Last edited by sallysimmons; Jan 1st 2011 at 8:15 pm.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, they go out and shoot guns into the air (about 40 yards away last night) at midnight. I don't worry so much about the bullets going up, it's coming down I'm concerned about - I always forget this is the wild west.......
Old Jan 1st 2011, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Gunshots?? Wow.

Did everyone see the London fireworks? Lots of people are saying they're the best in years. I just thought it was amazing. (Crank the speakers and make the video full screen!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy_9bx6U8_0
Well, I'm still sobbing.......unbelievable display!!! Can you imagine seeing it live?!!!
I remember my Mother telling me that when she (and my grandmother and uncles) was evacuated to Melbourne during the war (from Singapore) the thing she longed for the most was hearing the chimes of Big Ben.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.