Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Dec 31st 2010, 5:05 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by windsong
lol!

Now I am confused. What in heavens name happens in the UK if you win the UK lottery????
You retire, if you have any sense.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wawa
Good luck with your lottery tickets everyone, wherever you are. We have a big one tonight, CA$50 million...its got my name on it, I can feel it

Ours is 242 million last I heard..........can you freakin imagine.........Sally I would buy you that house!!!!!
Old Dec 31st 2010, 5:31 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Ours is 242 million last I heard..........can you freakin imagine.........Sally I would buy you that house!!!!!
My God that's obscene, I honestly think I'd rather win 1 million than 242 million - that's the sort of money that would make you miserable for the rest of your life.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

Tanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really nice

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Charleygirl,
You could buy the expat 'Safe House' - actually, you could buy several!!!
Happy New Year!!! I've got several hours to go..........
Old Dec 31st 2010, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Good idea, or we could all update our profiles showing our current locations and our future intentions, or a signature line, pretty much like DDL has?
Yes. I am still trying to figure out how to do that. I know you can go to My Profile but I still can't find it.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 5:51 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Now to be a spoil sport. Put the $2 in a box each week and see how it builds up.
You could pick 5 numbers and not play them and then see how they do. You can also see if they have won in the passed.
If the five numbers come up forget who told you not to play.
Or I could get a small coffee at Starbucks next door to the pharmacy where I get my ticket (when I remember)
the two bucks a week would give me $104 a year which if I put in my "high interest savings will give me 0.3% interest if I keep it a year.
I'll take the chance on a ticket someone wins, why not me?
Old Dec 31st 2010, 5:54 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with your lottery tickets everyone, wherever you are. We have a big one tonight, CA$50 million...its got my name on it, I can feel it
I'm assuming CA is Canada not California right?
California is at about 21mil so far today.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 5:54 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by dunroving
You retire, if you have any sense.
You don't have to pay tax on it either do you?
Here they'll take their cut before we see a penny
Old Dec 31st 2010, 6:03 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
You don't have to pay tax on it either do you?
Here they'll take their cut before we see a penny
I think winnings are taxed in the UK also - maybe it's different for the lottery (I think premium bond winnings are non-taxable, but can't be sure).

Still, rather have a million taxed than nothing.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 6:22 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

In the US, if you win a huge amount and decide to take it as an annuity to save some money on taxes, it can turn into a real burden. If you die, your family owe taxes on your unclaimed winnings - even though they don't get the money. So in the highly unlikely event that you win $250M, pay the 50% taxes and take the money upfront.

I agree that too much money can make you miserable. If I ever won that much, I would take care of all my family, buy a lovely house in the UK and a little flat in Manhattan, invest some to live on, and then give the rest away to our local animal shelter and the Clinton Foundation. (I've given this some thought ).
Old Dec 31st 2010, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
In the US, if you win a huge amount and decide to take it as an annuity to save some money on taxes, it can turn into a real burden. If you die, your family owe taxes on your unclaimed winnings - even though they don't get the money. So in the highly unlikely event that you win $250M, pay the 50% taxes and take the money upfront.

I agree that too much money can make you miserable. If I ever won that much, I would take care of all my family, buy a lovely house in the UK and a little flat in Manhattan, invest some to live on, and then give the rest away to our local animal shelter and the Clinton Foundation. (I've given this some thought ).
I would invest in a high yield Ponte investment
Old Dec 31st 2010, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Yes. I am still trying to figure out how to do that. I know you can go to My Profile but I still can't find it.
Wind just go to My Profile and then edit signature. I just did mine....
Old Dec 31st 2010, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons

Sally, I had trouble with my Internet connection (slow for a minute or two) and did not get to post my response to the lottery issue. As it turns out, your response is almost identical to mine:

Buy a nice house in the UK

Buy a nice car to live on

Give much of it to animal welfare societies - both US and UK

Keep the rest in the bank - invested - in case I ever need it.

One more - set up a trust for my pets in case I die before they do.

Other than that, live a life free of money worries and travel to the Mediterranean.

Last edited by windsong; Dec 31st 2010 at 7:12 pm.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wind just go to My Profile and then edit signature. I just did mine....

Thanks, Wawa. I will try it now

Well - I did it but still don't see a change. Maybe it takes a few minutes.

This time I put one in Signature and one in Extended Signature but neither is showing up. Where's our mod???

Last edited by windsong; Dec 31st 2010 at 7:09 pm.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 7:11 pm
Ping-ponger

Thanks, Wawa. I will try it now

Well - I did it but still don't see a change. Maybe it takes a few minutes.

This time I put one in Signature and one in Extended Signature but neither is showing up. Where's our mod???
Did you click on the button that says "Save signature" after you made the changes? Try going back into My Profile ... Edit Signature to see if the changes were saved.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.