Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Dec 28th 2010, 8:16 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Yes, I am flying BA. Three extra suitcases is $272.00 if I do it online, but I guess when you consider shipping it, its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.
Jackie.
BA is who I tried to get my ticket with remember but their fare went up $560 in one day. Their excess baggage rate is fantastic compared to other airlines, you have yourself a bargain there Jackie.

Out of Australia BA have the very best excess baggage rate of all airlines to Europe.

I am flying on Etihad for instance, 23kgs is free, then it is $45 USD per kilo after that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 28th 2010, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
BA is who I tried to get my ticket with remember but their fare went up $560 in one day. Their excess baggage rate is fantastic compared to other airlines, you have yourself a bargain there Jackie.

Out of Australia BA have the very best excess baggage rate of all airlines to Europe.

I am flying on Etihad for instance, 23kgs is free, then it is $45 USD per kilo after that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I havent even weighed the ones I have managed to pack...yikes..lol
Old Dec 28th 2010, 8:20 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
The good news is-------------------

If you're moving soon to the UK --------------

The dollar is stronger against the pound. The highest its been for the last 3 months.

So if you could transfer your money today.

And the bad news is................. I have none to transfer.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
I havent even weighed the ones I have managed to pack...yikes..lol
If your suitcase is over weight, but not more than 70 pounds..its a flat fee of $50 dollars over 70 pounds, it goes as freight at a higher fee...
Old Dec 28th 2010, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

See thats what happens with all the high living you have been doing
Old Dec 28th 2010, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Your not alone Bee..dont feel bad about it..
Old Dec 28th 2010, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

And the bad news is the house has not sold but by the time it does the rate of exchange will be back up
Old Dec 28th 2010, 9:17 pm
Home Sweet Home

I wish!!!
Old Dec 28th 2010, 9:18 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Videografics
Provisionally moving to Cornwall.

Why? Because it's quiet and I need a bit of time to "calm down" from the time in the Fatherland.
Oh it's lovely in Cornwall, by the Fatherland I take it you mean Germany?

Welcome to our lovely thread BTW.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Bee - How did the job thing turn out? Did you manage to agree on everything so you can continue your job when you get to the UK?
Old Dec 29th 2010, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.J
I thought hard how to describe it, best one word I can come up with is 'connected'. meaning that we felt part of it rather than outside it.
Christmas Eve we walked to local pub, pub was full, surprising to have little kids in there with there parents. We chatted to strangers, although one recognized me from my walks round the village, we we are beginning to build relationships.
We spent Christmas day at BIL with Johns parents, DDL's dinner plate photo would sum up ours too, including the ready-made Yorkshire. Then we sat and watched telly and had a late cold meats supper. They all live about 1 hour drive from us (Spalding) so we drove over and were taxi for parents to BIL while he cooked.
Travel was fine here in Norfolk/Lincs, roads had black ice but the journey was 10 mins less this time because of no tractors or lorries out on Christmas morning. We came back at night, didn't stay over.
Then Boxing Day we walked to the pub to see Morris Dancers and have a couple beers, pub was chock-a-block. I am so grateful for the no-smoking law.
Now we been invited back over to Johns parents to help finish off the left-overs.
Add to this the carol service in the preceding week and it all feels 'connected', which it never did when we were away.
JJ - I just sighed after I read your message. It sounds idyllic! The word "connected" is a good word. I have never felt connected in the USA. I have swung from feeling homesick and wishing I had never come here to merely going through the motions. After many years, "going through the motions" felt somewhat normal but I never felt connected. When I come here to this forum and am reminded of what it is like to be British, I feel flutters of eager anticipation and excitement inside. I can "relate" to what is said and to the experiences of living in Britain. I also remember how connected I felt when I visited my father in England quite a few years ago now. I went into a deep depression when I returned here. I know that returning is the right move for me so long as I have the courage to make that move back, and if I plan properly, I should.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

And the bad news is ...

Although we have some, the Baht has never changed ---- so we get a very bad deal!!!

Taking just over £1,000... that's it - so it's on the streets, for my missus!
Old Dec 29th 2010, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
And the bad news is ...

Although we have some, the Baht has never changed ---- so we get a very bad deal!!!

But then the good news is you have a couple of pensions

I had a friend in Las Vegas who was from the UK and he retired from the RAF and he got no pension. Something wrong there. I hope you faired better than he did.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

But then the good news is you have a couple of pensions

I had a friend in Las Vegas who was from the UK and he retired from the RAF and he got no pension. Something wrong there. I hope you faired better than he did.
I dont understand that Cheers, my Dad was RAF and he gets a pension..
Old Dec 29th 2010, 1:16 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
And the bad news is ...

Poor woman she'll freeze to death.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.