Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Sep 3rd 2012, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Good Morning, just came back from an hours riding along the shore at a small town called The Maidens. It has been a few years since I have been riding at all and many more years since I rode English as most of the time I rode western in Canada. My companion from the riding stables was excellent and allowed me to be able to find my way in the saddle. Riding along a fairly deserted beach at sunrise is my idea of heaven. Luckily I had brought my riding equipment with me when I came so no need to buy anything. I am going to try to do this at least once or twice a month, since I do not drink or smoke this will be my treat to myself. The hour riding cost me £18.00, happiness, satisfaction and just pure joy cannot be purchased.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 11:47 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
This thread discusses and explains it and has links to the official reasons for the decision. He is a "British subject without citizenship" which is a very unusual situation.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=770301
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Good Morning, just came back from an hours riding along the shore at a small town called The Maidens. It has been a few years since I have been riding at all and many more years since I rode English as most of the time I rode western in Canada. My companion from the riding stables was excellent and allowed me to be able to find my way in the saddle. Riding along a fairly deserted beach at sunrise is my idea of heaven. Luckily I had brought my riding equipment with me when I came so no need to buy anything. I am going to try to do this at least once or twice a month, since I do not drink or smoke this will be my treat to myself. The hour riding cost me £18.00, happiness, satisfaction and just pure joy cannot be purchased.
Ahhhh That sounds really cool, good for you ED...
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

SO good to hear you did this! Since you've no need to buy equipment, and you love it so much, I think it was cheap at the price---well worth it!

Tina
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds
SO good to hear you did this! Since you've no need to buy equipment, and you love it so much, I think it was cheap at the price---well worth it!

Tina
There is something about riding on a beach at the edge of the water that brings so much satisfaction to me. I love the feeling of freedom that riding gives me a chance to be able to think of nothing else than enjoying the moment. It always amazes me how small things can give you so much pleasure and satisfaction in life and allows you to put things into prespective.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

Hi Everyone,

We are considering renting a furnished flat in London, our house here in Italy still has not sold, we have placed it with another agent.
I thought this site might be of interest for those looking for employment:

http://www.moneymagpie.com/category/...aking-over-50s
It talks about jobs such as house/pet sitting, ironing, etc.

We are working out our finances, a small furnished flat will be about £800 per month in the areas we like. We will both probably get little part-time jobs not only for the extra money but for the social interaction too.

Regards to all.

Pat
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 7:00 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds lovely. So glad you had such a lovely experience.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

I have to look into riding where I live, Im ssurroundedby beautiful countryside and villages and there must be a lot of riding stables, I loved riding in Nevada, would like to get back into it again ---- one of the things I miss, £18 for an hour is great!!!!
Old Sep 4th 2012, 6:39 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Sally did you get to see that house on Friday? What did you think of it?
Yes, we did. We're actually quite interested in it as it's a lovely Victorian cottage with nice gardens in a perfect little village. But it will need some changes to work for us, so we need to go back with a contractor and find out how much it would cost. We also can't put an offer in until the fast Internet has been installed (they promise it's on the way but who knows).

Turns out the estate agent for the house is also the neighbor, so we met her and her husband. They seem nice. This is the kind of place where everyone knows everyone and the houses aren't referred to by numbers or names but as "Ron's farm" and "Billy's cottage." A bit different from New York I think our next steps are to see some more houses as this is the very first we've seen.

Charleygirl, I'm so sorry to hear about how hard things are, but I agree with Rodney that you must do whatever makes you happy, and if that turns out to be going back to the US, that's what you must do. One word of advice though if I may - your kids will very soon have flown the nest and forgotten all about mum except the odd phone call and birthday card. So if you go back to the US, it has to be for you, not for them. It has to be because you feel you will have a better life there - maybe it will be easier to make a good living, or you know you'll be happier if you're in the same country as your kids even if you don't see them, or because you just plain miss the place. The worst thing in the world would be to leave because it's hard here and then wind up back there finding it's just as hard there but made worse by the fact you don't like your surroundings and can't see your mum.

I think when things are hard, we tend to look at the alternative as a rosy one, but it isn't always. It's important to take a long hard look at what your new life would be like in the US. Then if you still think it will be better, go back and get on with making a good life for yourself. Good luck with whatever you decide. You know we will all be rooting for you.

Easterndawn, the ride sounds lovely. That's the same feeling get from being out in the Yorkshire countryside. Nothing can beat that feeling of peace. It's great that you'll be taking it up again.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Sep 4th 2012 at 6:46 am.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=jasper123;10262085]I have to look into riding where I live, Im ssurroundedby beautiful countryside and villages and there must be a lot of riding stables, I loved riding in Nevada, would like to get back into it again ---- one of the things I miss, £18 for an hour is great!!!![/QUOTE

I had placed an ad in a internet site asking to hear from anyone in my area who was looking for a rider to ride their horse for free. Had an answer to my ad this morning, a person who because of commitments cannot exercise their horse as much as they wish and is looking for someone to ride him once or twice a week and some weekends. The cost would be to assist with shoeing fees every 6 weeks which are about £100, so would cost me about £50.00 every 6 weeks to ride. Perhaps Jasper you could put an ad into an site that would be close to your area. I just entered "Horses for loan or sale in Ayrshire" and then placed the ad for free. The horse that I am going to look at, at the weekend is a Cobb and is stabled at a farm not far from where I live.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Yes, we did. We're actually quite interested in it as it's a lovely Victorian cottage with nice gardens in a perfect little village. But it will need some changes to work for us, so we need to go back with a contractor and find out how much it would cost. We also can't put an offer in until the fast Internet has been installed (they promise it's on the way but who knows).

Turns out the estate agent for the house is also the neighbor, so we met her and her husband. They seem nice. This is the kind of place where everyone knows everyone and the houses aren't referred to by numbers or names but as "Ron's farm" and "Billy's cottage." A bit different from New York I think our next steps are to see some more houses as this is the very first we've seen.

Charleygirl, I'm so sorry to hear about how hard things are, but I agree with Rodney that you must do whatever makes you happy, and if that turns out to be going back to the US, that's what you must do. One word of advice though if I may - your kids will very soon have flown the nest and forgotten all about mum except the odd phone call and birthday card. So if you go back to the US, it has to be for you, not for them. It has to be because you feel you will have a better life there - maybe it will be easier to make a good living, or you know you'll be happier if you're in the same country as your kids even if you don't see them, or because you just plain miss the place. The worst thing in the world would be to leave because it's hard here and then wind up back there finding it's just as hard there but made worse by the fact you don't like your surroundings and can't see your mum.

I think when things are hard, we tend to look at the alternative as a rosy one, but it isn't always. It's important to take a long hard look at what your new life would be like in the US. Then if you still think it will be better, go back and get on with making a good life for yourself. Good luck with whatever you decide. You know we will all be rooting for you.

Easterndawn, the ride sounds lovely. That's the same feeling get from being out in the Yorkshire countryside. Nothing can beat that feeling of peace. It's great that you'll be taking it up again.
I agree with you whole heartily about moving back. It would be easy to give up and move back (if I had the money to do so) but I also know that it would be just as difficult or even worse if I did so. It is easier to get work here in UK if you are an older worker than it is in Canada and I am sure the United States. You are also correct about your children, they grow up and leave the nest and go there own way. In Canada and the United States the sizes of these countries mean that they can live further away from you than if you lived here and they live there. Just a couple of thoughts about moving back.

I would love to visit The Yorshire Dales and is on my list of places to go to and do some camping. I would love to live in a small village that all homes are known by their history and not just by their number.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you whole heartily about moving back. It would be easy to give up and move back (if I had the money to do so) but I also know that it would be just as difficult or even worse if I did so. It is easier to get work here in UK if you are an older worker than it is in Canada and I am sure the United States. You are also correct about your children, they grow up and leave the nest and go there own way. In Canada and the United States the sizes of these countries mean that they can live further away from you than if you lived here and they live there. Just a couple of thoughts about moving back.

I would love to visit The Yorshire Dales and is on my list of places to go to and do some camping. I would love to live in a small village that all homes are known by their history and not just by their number.
I agree completely with ED Charley, its something worth considering. Enjoy your visit back though and here's wishing you all the best with whatever you decide
Old Sep 4th 2012, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi[QUOTE=Easterndawn;10262712]
Originally Posted by jasper123
I have to look into riding where I live, Im ssurroundedby beautiful countryside and villages and there must be a lot of riding stables, I loved riding in Nevada, would like to get back into it again ---- one of the things I miss, £18 for an hour is great!!!![/QUOTE

I had placed an ad in a internet site asking to hear from anyone in my area who was looking for a rider to ride their horse for free. Had an answer to my ad this morning, a person who because of commitments cannot exercise their horse as much as they wish and is looking for someone to ride him once or twice a week and some weekends. The cost would be to assist with shoeing fees every 6 weeks which are about £100, so would cost me about £50.00 every 6 weeks to ride. Perhaps Jasper you could put an ad into an site that would be close to your area. I just entered "Horses for loan or sale in Ayrshire" and then placed the ad for free. The horse that I am going to look at, at the weekend is a Cobb and is stabled at a farm not far from where I live.
HI Ed,
Thanks for that, I will try that, riding is my passion right along side steam trains, I love riding, I love horses, I think they are wonderful animals, I always have,
And in your post a couple of days ago you said you rode a horse right along the low tide beach, I can only imaimagineat wonderful peace and Joy you felt at that time, you see I have been riding for decades in Nevada but never have I had the opeopportunity ride on the beach at sunset, or sunrise, or any time at all, that must be the best, well now I live on and Island maybe that will happen for me soon
Old Sep 4th 2012, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi everyone,
Tomorrow morning I have to go into hospital for another operation for yet another hernia, I only had one a year ago, now I have one on the opposite side, good thing is there was no waiting, went to G.P. Monday, he sent me to hospital same day, I had ultra sound scan today and operation tomorrow Wednesday, they booked me in for surgery as an emergency case, thats why no waiting, this one is more complicated so they cant give me key hole, this time it will be normal surgery where they slice you and go in,
Wish me Luck
Love Rodney.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi everyone,
Tomorrow morning I have to go into hospital for another operation for yet another hernia, I only had one a year ago, now I have one on the opposite side, good thing is there was no waiting, went to G.P. Monday, he sent me to hospital same day, I had ultra sound scan today and operation tomorrow Wednesday, they booked me in for surgery as an emergency case, thats why no waiting, this one is more complicated so they cant give me key hole, this time it will be normal surgery where they slice you and go in,
Wish me Luck
Love Rodney.

All the best to you Rodney. Will be thinking of you and wishing you a speedy recovery! Take care of yourself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.