Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Aug 28th 2012, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Hi, Curley tops, yes you are correct about the great sense of accomplishment that you feel. I have to give my Dr. here in Ayr a huge thank you, without him reconizing the fact that the high blood pressure medication I was on was completely wrong for me. It was actaully causing me to be ill instead of helping me. Within 4 weeks of changing the meds I started to lose weight that I just could not seem to move for the past 6 years and there were many days that I could barely walk up my stairs to my flat without having to stop because of shortness of breath. I had always been an active person and I was reduced to a person who went to work, came home and dragged myself into bed. I was also quite housebound, except for taking Mac out for short walks, I did not leave the house in the weekends. I have lost 2stone in the past 4 months, my blood pressure is close to normal, my arthritis is much better and I feel like I have woken up from a long sleep.
Hello Easterndawn,

loved hearing about your camping adventure and the courage of both yourself and Wee Mac! Hope you do work out a way to have more camping while not falling foul of that law.

Even better is to hear about how very much your health has improved, it's extraordinary that just a change of medication can make such an amazing difference. It's so god to hear how much better you feel and how much more active you can be. Kudos to that doctor--and a wake-up call to all who are on continual meds, to be regularly monitored and to be sure they're the best ons for our particular body.

Great news, now if only other things can fall into place for you!

Tina

Last edited by between two worlds; Aug 28th 2012 at 7:37 am.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, Curley tops, yes you are correct about the great sense of accomplishment that you feel. I have to give my Dr. here in Ayr a huge thank you, without him reconizing the fact that the high blood pressure medication I was on was completely wrong for me. It was actaully causing me to be ill instead of helping me. Within 4 weeks of changing the meds I started to lose weight that I just could not seem to move for the past 6 years and there were many days that I could barely walk up my stairs to my flat without having to stop because of shortness of breath. I had always been an active person and I was reduced to a person who went to work, came home and dragged myself into bed. I was also quite housebound, except for taking Mac out for short walks, I did not leave the house in the weekends. I have lost 2stone in the past 4 months, my blood pressure is close to normal, my arthritis is much better and I feel like I have woken up from a long sleep.
Hi Ed,
I am really interested in your experience with your health care since you have been back in Scotland, how wonderful that your Doctor prescribed the right Meds for you, and your blood pressure now normal, and all that weight you lost ----- WOW,
Ive had much the same experience with NHS health care since I ve been home, I have suffered with Psoriasis for over 40 years, in the States I cant even count how many different dermatologists that I had treatment from,
some prescribed tablets and different types of skin ointments, they tried everything on me, and in time my condition would clear up ----- only to return 6 months later, each time worse then the last,
I came home and within 2 months it flared up again, went to the Doctor for the first time here, it was really bad, I had it on feet and hands, could hardly walk, Doc gave me ointment, said see me in two weeks if it dont work I will send you to a dermatologist, went back two weeks later,Doc saw that it had got even worse, Doc got me an appointment to see Dermatologist the very next day on an emergency basis in a hospital in Gosport, which is a short ferry ride from Pompey,
He took one look at my feet and hands and he said I am going to put you on a course of ultra violet light treatment, he said its slow and 3 sessions a week and it will take several months BUT it WILL work!!!!
six months later my feet and hands were back to a nice normal healthy condition, then he put me on a steroid ointment and another ointment which I had to apply twice a day, just for a month so to keep it away, now just down to the one non steroid ointment once a day, ----- and so far no sign of it returning,
I wonder why all those years in the U.S. with all there state of the art technology that never not once did a dermatologist even mention ultra violet light treatment for me? I had no Idea that it even existed, I always had health insurance at my Job, and I was willing to pay any co-pays, it is not a new treatment, its been going for decades on the NHS, maybe the treatment is just too expensive and they just know that the health insurance providers just wont cover the cost so they dont offer it, Hmmmm I dont know,
But what I do know is that if I didn't come home I would still be suffering with this big time, so just like you pegie I am so very thankful to all my Doctors over here, my experience with the NHS in almost two years back home is absolute Joy, all the treatment Ive had has been wonderful, even my keyhole surgery to repair my groin hernia last year,
and hats off to my Doctor for spotting that I had Cellulitis a few months ago and treated it immediately with the right anti-biotics for 14 days and cleared it up for me,
I couldn't be more happy with the NHS and the care Ive received has been the best Ive ever received in my entire life.
Take care Ed and I am so happy that your getting on alright now.
Rodney.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 3:25 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Easterndawn and Rodney, I am pleased to hear that you have both had positive experiences with the NHS and that your health has improved as a result of the care and treatment you were given.

Last week we registered with the local surgery and today we received bowel testing kits in the post. We haven't seen a doctor or had a medical, but based on our age they just automatically sent them to us. How is that for efficiency, we didn't even need to visit the doctors office.

Now to find a dentist. My dentist and hygienist are both on my "what I will miss about Canada list". I had bad experiences with my dentist, in Scotland, as a child, and it has taken me many years to lose my fear of seeing a dentist. I do hope that dentistry in the UK has improved since I have been gone.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Easterndawn and Rodney, I am pleased to hear that you have both had positive experiences with the NHS and that your health has improved as a result of the care and treatment you were given.

Last week we registered with the local surgery and today we received bowel testing kits in the post. We haven't seen a doctor or had a medical, but based on our age they just automatically sent them to us. How is that for efficiency, we didn't even need to visit the doctors office.

Now to find a dentist. My dentist and hygienist are both on my "what I will miss about Canada list". I had bad experiences with my dentist, in Scotland, as a child, and it has taken me many years to lose my fear of seeing a dentist. I do hope that dentistry in the UK has improved since I have been gone.
Hi If1: I like yourself had a horrendous experience with a dentist when I was a child in the UK, till this day I am terrified of dentists. My brother-in-law is a Doctor and set me up with a friend of his who is one of the best Dental/Maxi Facial surgeons in Canada, I went to the consultation and we set up an appointment for me to have extensive dental surgery done. I was fine until the day before and ended having a massive anxiety attack and spending the day in ER. I just could not get myself past the door after that, I know it is stupid and I really need to have some work done but cannot get past the experience. I hope you find a good dentist, let me know how it turns out.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 5:52 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi If1: I like yourself had a horrendous experience with a dentist when I was a child in the UK, till this day I am terrified of dentists. My brother-in-law is a Doctor and set me up with a friend of his who is one of the best Dental/Maxi Facial surgeons in Canada, I went to the consultation and we set up an appointment for me to have extensive dental surgery done. I was fine until the day before and ended having a massive anxiety attack and spending the day in ER. I just could not get myself past the door after that, I know it is stupid and I really need to have some work done but cannot get past the experience. I hope you find a good dentist, let me know how it turns out.
The practice that I went to in Calgary really helped me with my fear. They were always concerned about your comfort and pain management. My dentist would numb my gum with gel before giving me an injection and that really helped me as I was terrified of needles. I can honestly say that I never felt a thing in the years I went there. My hygienist did all the scaling manually as my teeth were too sensitive too handle the ultrasonic scaling. I will really miss her and she will miss the Galaxy chocolate I gave her. We had a laugh about that when I asked her if it was "legal" to bring chocolate into a dentist's surgery!

The best thing I ever did was to invest in an electric toothbrush. They do such a great job of cleaning your gums and teeth without causing gum recession. Now that I have put you to sleep, I'll move onto another subject in my next post.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 6:04 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

We had a lovely day today. After trying to arrange car insurance this morning, we headed out for a walk, but as the mobile library was in the village we took advantage of it and got a library card. Another item off the to do list.

We then continued on our walk into the hills. Lovely sunny day, but a tad windy. When we got to the top of the hill, the wind was so strong that I thought I would end up in Northumberland.

Arrived back in the village just in time to walk over to the mobile chippy! Just as well we went for a walk. As others have mentioned, all of this foods is heading directly to my hips. Note to self, more walking and less eating.

Tonight, I am spoiled for choice on the TV - The Dales, Lewis, Accused and The Rob Brydon Show, just as well I can record some shows.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

The Accord developed transmission problems and although the engine and everything else was good it would have been to expensive to repair, so I sold it for scrap and in January started saving for a new car, I finally had enough in July and purchased a 2001 Mitshibishi Galant estate, which I love. It had 64,000 miles and only one owner. After having an estate I would never think of going back to a regular car, when the time comes that I cannot camp anymore I will not need a tent anyways and will sell it on e-bay or gumtree. I do currently own a cheap pop-up tent but being in the car is very comfortable, so the Carnex tent seems to be ideal for me, giving me the ability to have room to sit/stand and yet be off the ground when sleeping.
Hi,
I googled Carnex and it produced a Serbian company.
Maybe Caranex is the company you thinking of for tents that attach to cars.
Respectfully,
John
Old Aug 28th 2012, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I actually do have a cheap Morrison 2-man pop-up tent but I did not take it with me. I wonder if they come along and check to see if you are in the tent or car. Does anyone know why this law exists in Scotland. I do love camping and now that I have done it once I will find a way around this law somehow.
Not sure about them checking but that would be interesting. The change in law seems to be to do with with 'wild camping' v's wanting to stop car camping. Here is a link which talks about it a bit:

http://www.cameronmcneish.co.uk/2008...g-in-scotland/

I suppose it gives them more teeth to move people along like yourself who decide to car camp but I cannot see that it really harms anyone. Seems a little bit of snobbery might be at play and we all know the wilds of anywhere are only for the monied classes to enjoy
Old Aug 29th 2012, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
Hi,
I googled Carnex and it produced a Serbian company.
Maybe Caranex is the company you thinking of for tents that attach to cars.
Respectfully,
John
Good Evening, yes, you are correct that is the company, they are based in Oban, Scotland.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by vikingsail
Not sure about them checking but that would be interesting. The change in law seems to be to do with with 'wild camping' v's wanting to stop car camping. Here is a link which talks about it a bit:

http://www.cameronmcneish.co.uk/2008...g-in-scotland/

I suppose it gives them more teeth to move people along like yourself who decide to car camp but I cannot see that it really harms anyone. Seems a little bit of snobbery might be at play and we all know the wilds of anywhere are only for the monied classes to enjoy
My problem is with the campsite owners who say that it is against the law to allow you to sleep in the back of an estate, four wheel drive or van in a campground. I have spent time on the internet looking to see if I can find this law and have not come across it so far. I told the campground mangager that I spoke with that I was willing to pay the highest rate to be able to camp in the campground and was still refused.
My issue is that if you are a woman alone and would like to be able to camp in your car you are being forced to put your safety at risk and camp in the open with very little or no safety. It is not that I do not own a tent, as I purchased a pop-up it is just that I feel more comfortable and safer in my car. If it rains I can depend on staying dry and and because I have arthritis in my knees it can be difficult to get up from an air mattress on the ground, where as in the car I just get my legs to the side and open the door.
Thanks for the infor though, I did read it and found it very interesting. If I was 20 years younger would think nothing of wild camping but as you get older and wiser you like to know that you are safe when travelling alone.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 6:12 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

My problem is with the campsite owners who say that it is against the law to allow you to sleep in the back of an estate, four wheel drive or van in a campground. I have spent time on the internet looking to see if I can find this law and have not come across it so far. I told the campground mangager that I spoke with that I was willing to pay the highest rate to be able to camp in the campground and was still refused.
My issue is that if you are a woman alone and would like to be able to camp in your car you are being forced to put your safety at risk and camp in the open with very little or no safety. It is not that I do not own a tent, as I purchased a pop-up it is just that I feel more comfortable and safer in my car. If it rains I can depend on staying dry and and because I have arthritis in my knees it can be difficult to get up from an air mattress on the ground, where as in the car I just get my legs to the side and open the door.
Thanks for the infor though, I did read it and found it very interesting. If I was 20 years younger would think nothing of wild camping but as you get older and wiser you like to know that you are safe when travelling alone.

I'm with you on this one. I don't understand the logic. If you ever find an answer I would love to know the rationale behind it. I had a look at the Caranex site and it looks really great. I might be tempted to take up camping, if I could sleep inside my car.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Well after some minor setbacks I am back I still have trouble with the numb hands and feet but have an appointment with a specialist which will hopefully take care of it.

I forget how long it is before a US citizen can get UK health benefits I am covered but not my husband also council tax do you get a break when you are over 65. I am making a list of all the expenses we will have when we return to the UK.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 6:17 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Well after some minor setbacks I am back I still have trouble with the numb hands and feet but have an appointment with a specialist which will hopefully take care of it.

I forget how long it is before a US citizen can get UK health benefits I am covered but not my husband also council tax do you get a break when you are over 65. I am making a list of all the expenses we will have when we return to the UK.
Hi Trottytrue,

we haven't chatted before, but I have followed your story right from the beginning. I am so pleased that things are improving for you and I know all the other posters will be thrilled to hear from you. Glad you are back.

I do think there is some discount on council tax, but I am not sure if it varies by region.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

When are you going?
Good to hear from you.
Doesn't medicare cover you in the UK?
Cheers
Old Aug 29th 2012, 6:25 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Once a US citizen arrives on a valid visa to live there they get access to NHS as a resident like anyone else, you just register at the local Doctor.

Originally Posted by cheers
When are you going?
Good to hear from you.
Doesn't medicare cover you in the UK?
Cheers
There is no Medicare in UK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.