Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Aug 15th 2012, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

My DW hit me this morning for a new place to visit and it is based on talking to the owner of a self catering cottage where we stayed in the S of England. Now isn't that a stretch? We go to England and get a recommendation for their favorite place from their trip to America.
So do I have your interest? The name of the place is Bishop, California which is up by Death Valley, Yosemite National Park in California and somewhat close to Mummy in the Foothills. We will spend a few days there after our doctors visit in Los Angeles on September 4th.

Cheers
Old Aug 15th 2012, 4:45 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
My DW hit me this morning for a new place to visit and it is based on talking to the owner of a self catering cottage where we stayed in the S of England. Now isn't that a stretch? We go to England and get a recommendation for their favorite place from their trip to America.
So do I have your interest? The name of the place is Bishop, California which is up by Death Valley, Yosemite National Park in California and somewhat close to Mummy in the Foothills. We will spend a few days there after our doctors visit in Los Angeles on September 4th.

Cheers
Way south of me, I'm on the north side of Yosemite.
Good luck with Death Valley, thats somewhere I have no desire to go to
Our friends go to Bishop each year, for some sort of Pack Mule convention/meet up or something.
Old Aug 19th 2012, 11:31 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Morning everybody!!

I was so happy to hear yesterday that Trottytrue and Easterndawn (Peigi) had posted and were both well.

It's good to hear you are on the mend Trotty, though that was just awful about the infected needle.

I'm sorry things haven't worked out as you planned Peigi, are you not old enough to get the pension? Have you applied for council help for your rent and your council tax?

I am doing OK personally, not rich by any means and like somebody else said no car or holidays in the foreseeable future. I too am more of the simple pleasures type, I met up with Sue from BE yesterday at Covent Garden and we had a nice day wandering around and stopped for lunch. (Sandwich and coffee for a fiver).

I will be visiting my family at the end of this month for a week, it's my first time since Christmas, when I paid £77.00 return on the train, last week I found another way to do the same journey for £26.50 so I'm happy about that.

Hope everybody is well, those who have made the move, those in transit and those just dreaming about it.

Other than missing my kids and grand-kids I barely think about Australia and have never regretted moving back here. Sure it would be nice if I had a stash in the bank but hey ho I don't, but I'm still looking for that elusive millionaire lol!!!
Old Aug 19th 2012, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Morning everybody!!

Other than missing my kids and grand-kids I barely think about Australia and have never regretted moving back here. Sure it would be nice if I had a stash in the bank but hey ho I don't, but I'm still looking for that elusive millionaire lol!!!
Well Barbara - Why didn't you speak up, when I was looking in 2006?

Too late now!

Take care - and keep in touch. Love Don
Old Aug 19th 2012, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Morning everybody!!

I was so happy to hear yesterday that Trottytrue and Easterndawn (Peigi) had posted and were both well.

It's good to hear you are on the mend Trotty, though that was just awful about the infected needle.

I'm sorry things haven't worked out as you planned Peigi, are you not old enough to get the pension? Have you applied for council help for your rent and your council tax?

I am doing OK personally, not rich by any means and like somebody else said no car or holidays in the foreseeable future. I too am more of the simple pleasures type, I met up with Sue from BE yesterday at Covent Garden and we had a nice day wandering around and stopped for lunch. (Sandwich and coffee for a fiver).

I will be visiting my family at the end of this month for a week, it's my first time since Christmas, when I paid £77.00 return on the train, last week I found another way to do the same journey for £26.50 so I'm happy about that.

Hope everybody is well, those who have made the move, those in transit and those just dreaming about it.

Great to hear from you Beedubya! Glad you're continuing to enjoy life and have no regrets.

Tina
Old Aug 19th 2012, 5:49 pm
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Good Afternoon Everyone, some will remember me, so of you will not. I started posting at the very beginning of this thread in 2009 and I have been living back in the UK since September 2009.

Would I do this move again, the answer is probable no!, I am sure many ask why, I will give you the shortened version. I found work 6 months after moving here, a year later, went to work for what I thought would be the job to stay at until I retired, unfortunately that was not to be. I worked as a Health Care Manager for a fairly large agency in Scotland, wages of £18,230 per year, which I thought sounded great. The actuality was for that wage I was expected to work 60 to 70 hours per week, be on call every weekend and if any of my employees did not show up for their shift, take over their clients for that day. My physical and emotional health eventually gave up and I ended up in November going on sick leave, which ended up to be 6 months. The manager was a bully who did very little work, took all the credit when things went well and when she made mistakes put the blame on her managers. They would not allow me to return to my position on reduced hours, so therefore was forced to leave.

I am presently back working for my friend at the dog grooming parlour, 16 hrs per week, 4 days a week. I barely make my rent, spend only £20 to £25 on groceries per week, can't afford to go or eat out, etc., etc........... I live on £800 per month, which has to cover everything.

Folks, the UK is not at all what it was like 40 years ago, lots of garbage, kids having babies to get cheap council houses, to much drinking, government screw ups with no-one to admit they did it, community spirit is gone, it is an all for myself attitude. My advice is unless you have close family back here, stay where you are. It is a very lonely place to be with no family around and no money to be able to fly back to see them. I do have a few friends and I am try to enlarge my circle but I have found that most people have lives, family and social circle that they have had for years and although you are friends you are never allowed into the inner circle.

For those who are interested, my husband is still in Canada with no money to be able to get him and my dogs over here and I of course have no money to fly back there. His health also is not very good and the seperation has taken a toll on our marriage, which only makes sense. We still hope that he will somehow get here but we are not holding our breath.

On the good side, I still have Wee Mac, he is the light of my day and comes to work with me on the bus every day . My doctor found out that the medication that I was put on in Canada was completely the wrong stuff and actually caused damage to my heart. Since I was put on the correct medication, I am feeling much better, lost weight, blood pressure almost normal and have much more energy that before. I do not have to pay for my medication, eye tests (although I can't afford new glasses), I have free bus pass, which is the only reason I can afford to get to work as I travel 26 miles per day and would cost me £44 per week.

I hope everyone is well and is living there dream.
Easterndawn

Let me first say how happy I am to see you posting.I have read this thread for several years before joining and quite often you were a major inspiration for me in my efforts moving to the UK.Your bravery is what the human experience is all about.I know things have not been easy for you but with each new day exist the possibility for a new opportunity.Thank you for giving an update and my prayers are indeed with you.
Old Aug 19th 2012, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Morning everybody!!

Hi Barb,
Absolutely great to hear from you again, ---- I really thought you forgot us,
Nice to know this time around has turned out quite good for you, and you and I share the no regrets thing, thats good
Take care,
Love Rodney.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 3:44 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Good to hear from you and to hear your news, Barbara!

I don't know which company you are travelling with, but have you heard of (or even seen) the 'Megabus' buses/coaches - I've seen them and they look really nice - and even some trains sold by Megabus?

My mum is travelling from Coventry to Portsmouth (via Southampton) this week. She is going on Wednesday as tickets on all their routes in England and Wales are at their lowest prices on that day..... one way prices are capped at just FIVE POUNDS + 50p booking fee! Amazing! (No 'senior' discounts but at that price it's a steal! (The 'normal' price would have been 10 pounds for other days.

Compare that to going by National Express - Coventry to London Victoria then transfer to a Portsmouth bus. Even with her Senior Coachcard which gives a 33% discount the cheapest ticket was 62 pounds (Return).

I think Megabus mainly has services to university towns (but there are intermediate stops). They are a British company but they also operate services to Paris, Brussels & Amerstam. They also operate in the US and Canada eg. NY to Washington DC or Boston and to Toronto etc.

Here is the link to the Megabus (UK) site:

http://uk.megabus.com/routemap.aspx

http://uk.megabus.com/Default.aspx (home page)
Old Aug 20th 2012, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Good to hear from you and to hear your news, Barbara!

Here is the link to the Megabus (UK) site:

http://uk.megabus.com/routemap.aspx

http://uk.megabus.com/Default.aspx (home page)
Shame they don't do Shropshire, or North and Mid wales at all.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 12:34 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I have friends who've used Megabus many times and they say it's great.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 2:21 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

I am trying to get my head around how the TV and various "cable" companies work in the UK. I signed up for BT Vision and I can record, pause and watch "catchup TV", but I am sensing that not all providers are equal. Do all providers supply the same channels? I am able to get Freeview, with a total of 35 channels incl BBC Radio.

Curleytops posted, the other day about a show on channel 5, that I can't find on Channel 5, even after doing a specific search. Is this because of regional differences - I am in Scotland?

I have tried looking at the website, for BT and Sky, to see if I can figure this out, but just like the mobile phone websites, they just send my head into a spin. Will have to deal with the mobile phone issue later, in the meantime, I am on a cheapie Pay as you go, and I might just remain on it.

thanks
Old Aug 20th 2012, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
I am trying to get my head around how the TV and various "cable" companies work in the UK. I signed up for BT Vision and I can record, pause and watch "catchup TV", but I am sensing that not all providers are equal. Do all providers supply the same channels? I am able to get Freeview, with a total of 35 channels incl BBC Radio.

Curleytops posted, the other day about a show on channel 5, that I can't find on Channel 5, even after doing a specific search. Is this because of regional differences - I am in Scotland?

I have tried looking at the website, for BT and Sky, to see if I can figure this out, but just like the mobile phone websites, they just send my head into a spin. Will have to deal with the mobile phone issue later, in the meantime, I am on a cheapie Pay as you go, and I might just remain on it.

thanks
I don't really know much about the BT Vision service, but the show that Curleytops mentioned is available on the Channel 5 on demand service on line - http://www.channel5.com/shows/rosamu...s-four-seasons

I wonder if the BT Vision service has it's on 'on demand library'? which perhaps does not include this particular show at the moment?

I wouldn't expect it to be regional thing...
Old Aug 20th 2012, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1

thanks
We have broadband and landline with BT. We opted not to go with the vision package as they can't provide any more channels than are available in our area via Freeview. What they do have is an "on demand" type library but to be honest after viewing the samples they listed we weren't too impressed and decided to give it a miss. Sky and Virgin are not an option for us because of the building we live in. There is no communal satellite dish on the roof and with it being a Victorian building, an individual dish mounted outside our window is out of the question so we rely solely on Freeview and antenna. I accessed the series in question via our smart TV on the Demand 5 player but also found the link to it via the Channel 5 website on the laptop. Have to say I'm stumped as to why it doesn't show up on your list & I wouldn't have thought it'd be a regional restriction either. Modern technology
Old Aug 20th 2012, 5:03 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replies. I did find the show, the other day, on my iPad, but am at a loss as to why it doesn't show up on the "catch up" for C5 pn my Vision box.

I still need to understand what the options are for TV viewing via tha various boxes, but at the end of the day, what I have on Freeview will probably meet my needs.

As I am in a small village, my options may be limited.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Thanks for your replies. I did find the show, the other day, on my iPad, but am at a loss as to why it doesn't show up on the "catch up" for C5 pn my Vision box.

I still need to understand what the options are for TV viewing via tha various boxes, but at the end of the day, what I have on Freeview will probably meet my needs.

As I am in a small village, my options may be limited.
To be honest I think you'll be fine with Freeview. We had a very extended StarChoice package in Canada and I find more to watch on tv over here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.