Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Aug 10th 2012, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Welcome Helen...

This thread and our Chit Chat thread have slowed down a little, maybe everyone is watching the Olymics wishing they were home, Im not really a sports fan but Ive been watching it just to get my dose of the UK.

Sometimes these threads need something of interest to get us all fired up so post anything that is on your mind.

It's nice to have a new poster that has taken the time to read our previous posts and Thankyou, I'm sure we feel like family now, many people have put alot of time and effort into this thread, its so nice that you have taken the time too.

I will Echo Rods thoughts about Easterndawn and wish she would post again, if only to let us know how she is doing, we had a very tight bond with Ed and saw her through many ups and downs... I for one hope all is well with her and her family...
Lets see if we can do something about getting in contact with Easterndawn. How? Look up old posts and see if there is any from her then write her on her email and maybe she will get it.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 3:55 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Welcome Helen...

This thread and our Chit Chat thread have slowed down a little, maybe everyone is watching the Olymics wishing they were home, Im not really a sports fan but Ive been watching it just to get my dose of the UK.

Sometimes these threads need something of interest to get us all fired up so post anything that is on your mind.

It's nice to have a new poster that has taken the time to read our previous posts and Thankyou, I'm sure we feel like family now, many people have put alot of time and effort into this thread, its so nice that you have taken the time too.

I will Echo Rods thoughts about Easterndawn and wish she would post again, if only to let us know how she is doing, we had a very tight bond with Ed and saw her through many ups and downs... I for one hope all is well with her and her family...
So do I. I wonder how she and wee mac the dog are doing and if her Dh and the rest of the dogs came to join her yet.
I have been packing boxes and taking stuff to the thrift store and selling what is worth anything online. It makes for a busy time, but satisfying. I have a lady coming today for the rocker glider, I spent so many hours in the middle of the night rocking babies in that thing, I may shed a tear when it goes. I hope she gets as much use from it as I did.
Dh has gone on a painting frenzy, the kitchen is finally done and the boys room is on it's way. After than is new carpets throughout the whole house. I had great fun picking a color the other day, pity it's for someone else to enjoy one day.
Amazing how big our place looks minus some furniture and teens.
Dd seems to be getting a little anxious about it all, she has been checking with me to make sure she can bring her dolls and dinosaurs, then she'll randomly pick a book and say she needs to remember that one too.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
I am very excited, but also keep bursting into tears. I think saying goodbye is going to be very hard, I tend to be a blubber butt anyay. The reality of actually leaving forever is creeping up on me, and although I want to, I get a little melancholy at times.
Will be good to get the cat scan behind me on the 10th, that is my biggest worry right now..just keeping my fingers crossed..
I am looking forward to being home with my parents tho. My daughter is American, she will never move to UK, but she will visit, and maybe when I get my life back together, I will come back here to visit. Not to long for you either, any news on that job?
Jackie..
It would be nice to hear how you are doing back in Las Vegas?
Old Aug 10th 2012, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Taffy Duck
AVERAGE MONTHLY COSTS FOR A 2 BEDROOM BUNGALOW JULY 2010
COUNCIL TAX...........................92
HOUSE INSURANCE....................30
CAR INSURANCE........................50
TV LICENCE.............................12
MOT AND CAR TAX....................15
ELECTRIC BILL..........................20
GAS BILL.................................100
PETROL...................................40
WATER ON METER.....................30
FOOD FOR TWO........................300
BROADBAND AND PHONE.............30
MEALS OUT.............................60 ?????? ALL DEPENDS
CLOTHES................................50 ?????? ALL DEPENDS
MISCL....................................50
PUB VISITING..........................200

TOTAL....................................1079 POUNDS PER MONTH

ALL THE ABOVE IS APPROXIMATE

Cheers....Taffy I hope this gives everyone an idea
What happened to you?
Old Aug 10th 2012, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Lets see if we can do something about getting in contact with Easterndawn. How? Look up old posts and see if there is any from her then write her on her email and maybe she will get it.
I don't think she's posted for about a year now, I used to love reading her posts when I was making my own preparations. Does anyone know if her husband made it over?
Old Aug 10th 2012, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by heelan
Well if you're interested I'll give you the details. A bit worried about boring you with my story:-

We have twin boys and a girl. Because of the life we have led they are
all very independent albeit very different. When they were young we lived
in South America (Buenos Aires) for 3 years so have quite a different approach to distance, family ties. We all meet up regularly but not in the
Sunday dinner at mum's house way.

Husband has been great about this and is happy for me to be here. He flies
in and out or comes over on the ferry but would not contemplate a permanent
move. Still working on a consultancy basis, I also have to travel through Europe from time to time, but I feel ready now to also give that up. If you
had asked me a year ago, I would have found it unimaginable not to work.

It's a funny old life, but for me I feel as if I am finding my real self again. All
these years of having a latent feeling of not walking in my own shoes but never taking time to think it through, have taken their toll. Maybe I was too
afraid of the consequences and meeting my real self. We are takng time to
get to know each other.

Something odd for example. I have always had people working for me in the
household. Cleaning staff, gardner, nannies at the time. Now I'm back I
take the greatest pleasure in pottering about in my little house. I can't wait
to get up in the morning to clean windows or floors or whatever. Folk can be
strange (?)
Not at all boring, these stories are meat and drink to us here on this thread!

Great that your husband is supportive of your being there, and if you can both manage with the back-and-forth, that's great!

It's really striking that you say I feel as if I am finding my real self again. So, so common to hear this from expats. So interesting, the question of how much the sense of identity is bound up with feeling at home, or not....

Thanks for telling us more! By the way, I wish you were nearer, to wash MY windows and floors if you have a hankering!!! I don't think I'll ever be that happy to do those tasks, wherever I'm living!!

Tina
Old Aug 10th 2012, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

heelan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Not at all boring, these stories are meat and drink to us here on this thread!

Great that your husband is supportive of your being there, and if you can both manage with the back-and-forth, that's great!

It's really striking that you say I feel as if I am finding my real self again. So, so common to hear this from expats. So interesting, the question of how much the sense of identity is bound up with feeling at home, or not....

Thanks for telling us more! By the way, I wish you were nearer, to wash MY windows and floors if you have a hankering!!! I don't think I'll ever be that happy to do those tasks, wherever I'm living!!

Tina
With pleasure. And the next best thing is doing the washing. Getting it dried
(sometimes) bringing it in and ironing it all. As somebody who grew up on a coucil estate with a pully in the kitchen - I'm in pigs heaven
Old Aug 10th 2012, 7:40 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

(sometimes) bringing it in and ironing it all. As somebody who grew up on a coucil estate with a pully in the kitchen - I'm in pigs heaven
That is funny. I have also rekindled my love of ironing, since having a daughter with pretty dresses to see to. But not today it's 41 degrees
I always wanted one of those pully things that went up to the ceiling with some washing on.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all my expat friends, just to let you all know i am going back to NH for a visit on 12th sept.
I am still happy to be home but missing my family there.
I did just look to see last time easterdawn was on the site and it was dec 2011, so sent her an email asking her to post for us, also looked to see when trotty was here and that was back in march
You can look for members at the top of the page, by clicking on members list.

And welcome to the new folks!

Last edited by charleygirl; Aug 11th 2012 at 7:47 am.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Hi all my expat friends, just to let you all know i am going back to NH for a visit on 12th sept.
I did just look to see last time easterdawn was on the site and it was dec 2011, so sent her an email asking her to post for us, also looked to see when trotty was here and that was back in march

Hi charleygirl, that's great that you have a trip to NH coming up, so you can see the family.

September can be beautiful in the northeastern US --hope you have a good visit.

Yes, I too miss hearing from easterndawn and from trotty. Hope all is improving for both of them....

Thanks for saying hi, bon voyage in September! How long is the visit for?

Tina
Old Aug 11th 2012, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl

Hi Denise,
Good to hear from you again, thats great your going back to NH to see your family next month, I hope your visit is lovely for you,
Im taking a trip back to Las Vegas to visit my friends next year, Im looking forward to that too,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 11:42 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Heelan, welcome to the forum. What area of Scotland are you in? We are now in the Scottish Borders. Just arrived back yesterday.

I hear you on doing the washing, I love it. I don't have a clothesline, but hanging clothes outside on the clothes horse, will work for me, at least for the time being.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 11:47 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Charleygirl, I hope you enjoy your upcoming trip and spending time with your family.

Rodney, hope you enjoy your future trip to Vegas.

I am hoping that when I receive my Internet connection from BT, next week, that I will be able to see the Opening Ceremonies. My iPad still has a Cdn IP address, so I can't access the BBC Iplayer yet.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

and I topped you all and got a response from Trotty, so there

She said to say hi to you all. She has a clean bill of health but has to build up strength. She also says she got infected from a needle when she was in hospital. Someone was using the needles and putting them back when he was through with them and she got one of them.

Cheers

After I had my last cat scan my Dr gave me the all clear. One thing that happened one of the technicians working at the hospital was an drug addict he used the needles and then put them back. It turns out he has Hepatitis C so he has infected over 30 patients with it. I just happen to be one of those people that had an operation during his time at the hospital. I have to have a blood test on Monday. Mainly a precaution but I will be happy when I get the all clear. This man was arrested and it turns out he has worked at many hospitals in the US.

Last edited by cheers; Aug 11th 2012 at 4:57 pm. Reason: added more
Old Aug 11th 2012, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
and I topped you all and got a response from Trotty, so there

She said to say hi to you all. She has a clean bill of health but has to build up strength. She also says she got infected from a needle when she was in hospital. Someone was using the needles and putting them back when he was through with them and she got one of them.

Cheers
Oh wow cheers, great news!!!! I think most of us felt we shouldn't bother her--good thing you had the chutzpah!!!

"Clean bill of health"--that is awesome. (Though infection from a used needle is dreadful!)
But at least now she has a clean bill of health, and just needs to build up strength.

Well, I expect the board will now explode with good wishes for her, but let me be the first to say, get strong fast, Trotty, and get back on track with the plans to go home--as long as that is still what you want to do.

Tina

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.