Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jul 28th 2012, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Yes - you are correct- It was created in Illinious (spelling?) only two years ago, and the originator was Frederick, C. Lowrey - but this particular model was made especially for the UK market, and has extras on it - Mantovani and Glen Miller etc., 'sounds' and is powered with UK electric of 230 volts. I know it weighs 550 lbs.- And is too wide to pass through some doorways, so has to be dismantled! - At the moment, just going to try playing The last Waltz. Don
Oh no,no,no Don you have to be playing Reg Dixon music. That's a name from the passed so I'll have to goggle it.
Found him and one of the tunes was 'If you were the only girl in the world'
Old Jul 28th 2012, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Oh no,no,no Don you have to be playing Reg Dixon music. That's a name from the passed so I'll have to goggle it.
Gosh, Me Dad used to sing that song years ago...
Old Jul 29th 2012, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

I sing it - to Tippawan. Thanks Don.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone, managed to spill a glass of water over my laptop, so had to save for another one, now back online, I hope everyone is doing well, dont think i have time to read all the pages i have missed, has anyone heard from trotty?
rodney I havent forgotten a get together but I work 4 and half days a week now ( phew what a killer it is too, 8-6 with an hour for lunch).
I am presently looking for a ticket back to visit my family there, we miss each other. It seems as if it is expensive so if anyone sees a bargain flight let me know London -Boston!
Old Jul 29th 2012, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Hi everyone, managed to spill a glass of water over my laptop, so had to save for another one, now back online, I hope everyone is doing well, dont think i have time to read all the pages i have missed, has anyone heard from trotty?
rodney I havent forgotten a get together but I work 4 and half days a week now ( phew what a killer it is too, 8-6 with an hour for lunch).
I am presently looking for a ticket back to visit my family there, we miss each other. It seems as if it is expensive so if anyone sees a bargain flight let me know London -Boston!
£395 ROUND TRIP LHR - BOS Check Flying Eagles?
Old Jul 29th 2012, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Denise,
Very nice to see you on here again, I often wondered what happened to you ----- now we know you spilled a glass of water on your lap top, it happens to the best of us, pity you didn't have an extended warranty, but then you probably bought it over in the States?
Anyway great that your back with us!!!!
The Job does sound exhausting, it wears me out just thinking about it
I will keep my eye open for your flight to Boston, you know sometimes you can get flights real cheap if you can be flexible with your departure Airport --- like Manchester or somewhere, I know it would be inconvenient to have to travel up there from down south but its just one of my crazy thoughts, and I certainly understand how you must be missing your adult kids, and I do know that so far your life over here has been far from easy for you,
anyway dont be a stranger
Take care,
Rodney.

Last edited by jasper123; Jul 29th 2012 at 10:37 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 10:37 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Just popping in to say Good Morning, my laptop is just fine unlike Denise's not much happening here except something about some games are on in London??

Hope all are well and if anyone hears from Trotty please keep us updated.

Hope all who are making plans to come home are hanging in there, not much to add now as I am no longer an EXpat.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Just popping in to say Good Morning, my laptop is just fine unlike Denise's not much happening here except something about some games are on in London??

Hope all are well and if anyone hears from Trotty please keep us updated.

Hope all who are making plans to come home are hanging in there, not much to add now as I am no longer an EXpat.
Barb you may stay the rest of your life in England from now on ----- but didn't you live in Oz for 30 years? ----- therefore you will always be an EXPAT!!!!! Just as I will!!!!
This Thread is not just for the people who are waiting to come home, but its also for the Brits that have already returned home for good,
We can be extremely helpful to the people who will some day join us.
Anyway nice to see you on here again,
Rodney.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

£395 ROUND TRIP LHR - BOS Check Flying Eagles?
Thanks Cheers cheapest i could get was 499. did you put in any dates?
Old Jul 30th 2012, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rodney thanks.. yes been a bit of a rough ride but I do love the UK, and if anyone does not have kids to think about i say go for it!
Old Jul 30th 2012, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney thanks.. yes been a bit of a rough ride but I do love the UK, and if anyone does not have kids to think about i say go for it!
Ahhhhhhh the UK, enjoy every day and good luck to you Denise.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes I did. Did you check that site I mentioned?

Their number is 02 8819 5000

Ask them for their cheapest fare or go to their site and plug in some dates.

http://www.flyingeagles.co.uk/

I see the best dates are October 22 thru December 14 2012 for that fare

Last edited by cheers; Jul 30th 2012 at 7:47 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps send a note to Tonrob. he flies that route quite a bit and is a whiz at getting good deals
Old Jul 30th 2012, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Very well said Denise,
I have a 37 year old Son, He has lived here all his life, been out to visit me in America 3 times over the years,
Now Ive been back home 20 months now and Ive seen him 3 times in all that time ----- each time for a a quick 5 minute chat in passing on the street,
Oh he did actually come around to see me during my first week home, he stayed 25 minutes on that occasion,
Ive had two phone calls, and he text me three times like how are you, sorry sadly Im too busy to come around, you know!!!
No Christmas Cards or Birthday cards for me or his Nan, anyway it dont matter I didn't come home for HIM I came home for my Mum, and she is great!!!! bless her heart,
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Great to see you back Charleygirl. I thought of you yesterday when drinking a glass of water, I carried it over the laptop and a few drops fell on the keyboard--as you can guess, I moved it well away from the computer after that!

Those are long working hours, and only an hour for lunch...sheesh.

Hope you find an affordable ticket back to US soon to see the "children."

Bee, I agree with Rodney, not so much that you're still an "expat," if you feel as if you have come home, but that as an ex-epat (!) and with family still far away, you are still part of this community of people who will always have feet and connections in different places.

Plus it's helpful for others to hear how you've settled in....

I haven't heard anything from Trotty...this thread is now so long, she may not happen upon these thoughts and mentions of her that appear now and then.
I hope she knows that we still think of her and we hope all is going well with her healing....

Sorry, you who are in Britain--the weather here in France has been wonderful! Perhaps just a bit too hot these last few days..but I am NOT complaining!! Would I miss the sunshine of the US and of France if I went back to live in England? Right now, I think I wouldn't...I feel I'd be like sallysimmons, when the sun does come out it is so appreciated, it seems like a wonderful gift...and as I've said so often here, the changeability is itself delightful. But perhaps, during a summer like the one I hear you're having in Britain, I'd change my tune!

Oh well....at least from Britain (if one has the time and money) one can pop off to Spain or France or somewhere else with sun and European culture...another advantage of living there.

Hello to all, and a special warm welcome to newbies. We love when new people join with new stories...you will feel at home here, with a whole bunch of people who don't feel at home where they live!

Bon voyage to the three going back on Queen Mary! leaving tomorrow August 3 I think.

Tina

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.