Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jun 6th 2012, 4:01 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Trust me, you didn't miss anything with Cliff Richard. I couldn't believe how bad it was.

Edited: Here it is (don't say I didn't warn you!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmDDM...feature=relmfu
Old Jun 6th 2012, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
We got to see the Concert on ABC last night, it was a bit of a disappointment after such a big build up over the last week or so, what we saw was OK but two hours and LOADS of adverts does not a concert make...

We didn't see many or most artists, Stevie was Great, Elton was OK under the circumstances, and Paul and Tom too...

No Robbie, No Shirley, No Annie, no Cliff and not a single comedian...

Charles spoke well and the fireworks we saw (4 minutes) were lovely, I had tears, it makes me PROUD to be British, there is something so special about the UK, I just feel like jumping on a plane after this weekend, it tares me up...

I'm hoping it will be shown in its entirety on BBC America but wont hold my breath.

They could sell DVD's of that and donate proceeds to Charity.

Can anyone tell us how long it lasted, start to finish, Thanks.
Wow - they cut the concert up badly . Are you saying that they didn't show Robbie opening the show with 'Let me Entertain You' with the Grenadier Guards? That makes no sense if that's the case as that got the crowd going. His 'Mack the Knife' was also brilliant. And Annie and Shirley were also very good - Grace Jones on the other hand was (IMHO) pretty bad and I couldn't understand why Kylie had such a long set. If they had cut her by half then Tom Jones could have had a couple more songs as he was without doubt the best of the old guys by a long stretch!! And I hear the Gary Barlow-Cheryl Cole duet was also cut - but to be honest you didn't miss much if that was the case

But the best for me was Alfie Boe singing a “O Sole Mio/It’s Now or Never” combo and then his duet with Renne Fleming of 'Somewhere' on one of the balconys of Buck House - simply divine!!!

Charles's speech was very heartfelt and touching and went down really well with the crowd and the Queen looked very touched by it. He has certainly loosened up in recent years and is showing a gentler and more caring side to the world.

And the fireworks were just out of this world as was the music being played - stirring patriotic music that was an awesome climax to the evening.

The entire weekend made me very, very proud to be British
Old Jun 6th 2012, 5:07 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, we have been quite successful in selling a lot of our stuff through Kijjii. Which I am pleased about as I was reluctant to use it, but OH said he would do all the wheeling and dealing. One chap came to look at our dining room table and ended up buying a whole bunch of stuff including OH's car. He has also agreed to wait until July before he picks up any of the stuff. I want my home to still feel like a home for as long as possible.

We are having a garage sale this weekend. Another thing I wasn't keen to do, but my friend has convinced me it is a good idea. Anyway, OH and I agreed that we would spend today going through the house to add the Garage Sale stash. Anyway, I decided to do some hunting an gathering at the local Safeway store, as the fridge is looking a little bare. I left hubby to get started on the work at hand so when I got back I said "what have you been doing?" to which he replied "I have been watching the Wool Sack Races from Tetbury". WHAT ???? He then rewound the PVR to show me the race. Only in England
Old Jun 6th 2012, 5:33 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

We got to see the Concert on ABC last night, it was a bit of a disappointment after such a big build up over the last week or so, what we saw was OK but two hours and LOADS of adverts does not a concert make...

We didn't see many or most artists, Stevie was Great, Elton was OK under the circumstances, and Paul and Tom too...

No Robbie, No Shirley, No Annie, no Cliff and not a single comedian...

Charles spoke well and the fireworks we saw (4 minutes) were lovely, I had tears, it makes me PROUD to be British, there is something so special about the UK, I just feel like jumping on a plane after this weekend, it tares me up...

I'm hoping it will be shown in its entirety on BBC America but wont hold my breath.

They could sell DVD's of that and donate proceeds to Charity.

Can anyone tell us how long it lasted, start to finish, Thanks.
Hi Fish

Can you not download Expat Shield just for a wee while to catch up on the Jubilee celebrations? I have just checked and programmes stay online for 7 days, however I just found this on the site:

Watch later

We also offer BBC iPlayer Desktop, which is designed to let Mac and Windows machines download TV programmes so you can save them to watch later. Once it is installed on your computer, simply click on the Download button by the programme and BBC iPlayer will start downloading it. Once the programme has saved onto your computer, you have 30 days to watch it, and you can save as many programmes as you like, depending on your download limits and computer capacity.

BBC iPlayer Desktop is easy to install on your computer and should start automatically when you first try to download a programme, and guide you through the process. Should you need more help, you can find out more here about installing this on:

Windows
Apple Macintosh

To download programmes you need to be in the UK – if you're incorrectly told that you're not, please see this advice.

So whether this bit will work with Expat Shield I don't know.

The concert went for 3 hours and 20 minutes and is on BBC iplayer along with lots of other goodies.

Some of it defo needs fast forwarding though, I taped it and that's what I did.

I am a huge Stevie Wonder fan but am still trying to figure out what he, Grace Jones and Will.i.am have to do with GB?

I can understand Kylie and Rolf Harris as Oz is part of the Commonwealth.....mmmm.........

Last edited by Beedubya; Jun 6th 2012 at 5:41 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 6:13 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I think we can watch it on the Royal channel on you tube. Thats what I had heard any way. I have to go and look it up. The BBC mentioned that when I was watching the boats live the other day.

I too loved the Madness songs with the palace in the back. all pink hearts rolling up the Palace walls. It must be love!
I now want to see the opening, with Robbie Williams.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
I think you are right. I might just have to read about the story lines. In mid June, the CBC is going back to running one hour episodes five days a week, so that will help. As I mentioned, up thread, one of favourite scenes is Blanche at the AA meeting. I watched again the other day and it still hilarious.
When I left UK to go to U.S. all the old favorites were on Corrie like Ena Sharples and the rest of the gang,
I never had a chance to see Corrie in U.S. in those days, and no internet and no u-tube to even get a little sample fix now & then,
So When I came back home to live 36 years later I just got right back into it ---- just like that
Now I have been watching every night for near 18 months I love it so much and the continuing stories are so interesting that I cant bring myself to miss a single episode,
The same thing goes with Emerdale Farm and Eastenders ---- love em too,
But what happened to Crossroads and that radio one called The Archers I used to love that, an every day story of country folk,
Old Jun 6th 2012, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
Jasper

Are you allowed to vote in the up-coming usa presidential election via absentee ballot, and will you? Hope you can.
UKwinds yes Im allowed to vote in the U.S. general presidential election via absentee ballot as I am proudly an American citizen now, and I want to vote from England but I have no Idea how to do it? do you know? I mean it must be possible to cast a vote, because all the American military stationed in U.K. a lot of them would want to vote wouldn't they.
Rodney.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

I know Brits love Kylie and Robbie, they always seem popular when we go back, I'm just not impressed, I would have cut Kylie and shown Shirley instead for an American audience.

Jessia J who I had never heard before was good, she has a decent voice.
Fish the full actuall show here lasted 3 and half hours, it was a long one.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 11:12 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
When I left UK to go to U.S. all the old favorites were on Corrie like Ena Sharples and the rest of the gang,
I never had a chance to see Corrie in U.S. in those days, and no internet and no u-tube to even get a little sample fix now & then,
So When I came back home to live 36 years later I just got right back into it ---- just like that
Now I have been watching every night for near 18 months I love it so much and the continuing stories are so interesting that I cant bring myself to miss a single episode,
The same thing goes with Emerdale Farm and Eastenders ---- love em too,
But what happened to Crossroads and that radio one called The Archers I used to love that, an every day story of country folk,
Hi Rodney,

I love Corrie. I used to watch it all the time with my gran, who also loved it.
She was a big Crossroads fan too. I missed a few years of Corrie when I first came to Canada as it aired during the day and I didn't have a VCR to record it.
We used to get Emmerdale here, but they cancelled it . Twice!

I could be wrong, but I think The Archers is still on BBC Radio, perhaps Radio 4.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 11:56 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Get the flight tracker (or ship tracker in this case) at the ready. We have booked our one way return trip to the UK on the QM2, leaving New York on 3rd Aug. I can't tell you how excited I am.

My great aunt sailed from the UK to the US and settled in Florida, but always wanted to go home to Scotland. I feel as though I am completing her journey.

I think I might have a cocktail tonight to celebrate. Needless to say I didn't get too much work done for the Garage Sale. I better go and lookout my posh frocks, hope they are not in the Garage Sale already.

FULL STEAM AHEAD, CAPTAIN!!!
Old Jun 7th 2012, 12:18 am
Back home at last!

Pombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud of

.... and we are going home on the same sailing as lf1! I am SO excited!!!

Going home by sea just seems so much more civilized than being squished into a plane. I will cry as we set sail from New York and no doubt will cry a whole lot more as Southampton comes into view!

Now I just need to book flights to New York, oh and get all the packing sorted......
Old Jun 7th 2012, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Get the flight tracker (or ship tracker in this case) at the ready. We have booked our one way return trip to the UK on the QM2, leaving New York on 3rd Aug. I can't tell you how excited I am.

My great aunt sailed from the UK to the US and settled in Florida, but always wanted to go home to Scotland. I feel as though I am completing her journey.

I think I might have a cocktail tonight to celebrate. Needless to say I didn't get too much work done for the Garage Sale. I better go and lookout my posh frocks, hope they are not in the Garage Sale already.

FULL STEAM AHEAD, CAPTAIN!!!
Congratulations what a wonderful way to travel back home! I might look into that one day sigh 4 years still to wait! Safe sailing!
Old Jun 7th 2012, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pombat

Going home by sea just seems so much more civilized than being squished into a plane. I will cry as we set sail from New York and no doubt will cry a whole lot more as Southampton comes into view!

Now I just need to book flights to New York, oh and get all the packing sorted......
Nice got company too! Enjoy as well - are any of you in Canada?
Old Jun 7th 2012, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Nice got company too! Enjoy as well - are any of you in Canada?
Wish you all the best..... xx
Old Jun 7th 2012, 1:23 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pombat

What fun, you'll be able to meet in real life and have a chat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.