Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jun 5th 2012, 10:22 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Just dropping in to say I have loved reading the last few posts.

A part of me feels like a teen again and another part of me feels like the teen's mum.

Brilliant. Contradictory yet brilliant.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Just dropping in to say I have loved reading the last few posts.

A part of me feels like a teen again and another part of me feels like the teen's mum.

Brilliant. Contradictory yet brilliant.
Lorna,
Very funny I havent felt like the teens Dad for a long time, but I do feel like the teens Grandad ------ which incidently is what I am

I thought it funny too what Sally said on the page before this one, she said you sound like my Dad did Rodney when I was young complaining that there hair was too long and scruffy and a good spell in the Army would do them a lot of good,
That made me think ----- way back when I was a teenager the beetles had just started to become popular in the U.K. and Helen Shapiro had just made her debut performance on TV with (walking back to happiness) and the Rolling Stones getting no satisfaction, and Hermins Hermits with Mrs Brown you have a lovely Daughter, Adam Faith was singing ---- wish you wanted my love Ba-by!!!!
And so anyway when the Beatles made there very first appearance on British TV I think it was 1962, Me and Dad were watching them sing I think
(she loves you) yeah yeah yeah, and I looked at Dad and said that group are going to go a long way, there going all the way to the top, and Dad said dont be silly there absolutely rubbish and besides they all need a haircut,
He said the same about Hermins Hermits
So yes Sally has got a good point there, its all in the eyes of the beholder,
and when we get older it is hard to appreciate new fresh young up and coming Raw talent, ----- because its different to what we are used to!!!!
and some older people like myself are hesitant to change, or they find it hard to change,
If we all look back when we were teenagers and remember how our parents generation of people looked at us and thought we were kind of Odd, especially if you were like me ---- a hippy!!! and into all that new crazy Rock & Roll stuff,
Have I become like my parents? I always said I wouldn't ever do that
Old Jun 6th 2012, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
I have just been reading the UK TV Guide and found that there are so many shows that we never see over here. I can't wait to watch Gardeners World, Great British Railways, Countryfile and Coast (one of my favourites). Also, I like to watch Eggheads, even although it does raise my blood pressure a bit when I am screaming at the smug CJ. There is also a show listed which is about the People's History of Britain, not sure if that is the title, but I would love to see that.

Won't be long until I can watch all of these shows on a regular basis. Somehow I will have to get caught up on Coronation Street as we are 3 months behind in Canada.
I'm afraid catching up on Corrie could be a tall order for you at this point given all the other preparation that comes with this move being just a few weeks off. When I left 14 months ago, Canada was still nearly a year behind UK so for about 3 months prior to coming back I watched both the Canadian-aired episodes and the up to date UK stuff using the expat shield. Keeping track of 2 plot lines can get a bit confusing but it certainly was interesting
Old Jun 6th 2012, 11:40 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Rodney, it's not too late to get into some new songs!

Here are 3 random songs to try and tempt you:

The sublime:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk2xaeXnxlM

The fun pop:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzCLLHscMOw&ob=av2n

And Sheffield's finest:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_V_K...feature=relmfu

(these are very random btw - just thought I'd see if any of them appealed)
Old Jun 6th 2012, 1:00 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

We finally got to see the concert. Overall, it was fairly enjoyable but the sound was terrible and the CBC, in their wisdom, cut Shirley Bassey, but of course, no danger of cutting Sir Elton.

I don't normally comment on people's appearance, but Sir Cliff and Sir Paul need to dispose of their hair dye products and cease with the plastic surgery. They look ridiculous. Even Tom Jones has seen the light and let his hair go grey. Take a leaf from the books of Michael Parkinson and Michael Aspel, both who appear to have aged gracefully.

Earlier in the day, BBC Worldnews aired a celebration that took place at Windsor Castle earlier this year. It featured acts from around the world. the acts were more traditional from the various countries they represented. Lots of horses including The Mounties and the Queen seemed to be so engaged in the performances and appeared to be really enjoying the show. Unlike the concert at Buck Palace, but I suppose that was more for the people than the Queen.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 1:38 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
I'm afraid catching up on Corrie could be a tall order for you at this point given all the other preparation that comes with this move being just a few weeks off. When I left 14 months ago, Canada was still nearly a year behind UK so for about 3 months prior to coming back I watched both the Canadian-aired episodes and the up to date UK stuff using the expat shield. Keeping track of 2 plot lines can get a bit confusing but it certainly was interesting

I think you are right. I might just have to read about the story lines. In mid June, the CBC is going back to running one hour episodes five days a week, so that will help. As I mentioned, up thread, one of favourite scenes is Blanche at the AA meeting. I watched again the other day and it still hilarious.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 2:14 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

I think we are only about 3 months behind the UK now in Canada (Frank has just been murdered). The hour long episodes were earlier this year then stopped around March. I am not sure if we will catch up any closer (maybe a broadcasting rights thing?).

Corrie is very popular with Canadians here in Nova Scotia. Our tiny town has a Coronation St fan club that meet up every couple of months I have watched it since the early 1970s. My 17 year old son never misses an episode. He loves it
Old Jun 6th 2012, 2:19 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Cookie
I think we are only about 3 months behind the UK now in Canada (Frank has just been murdered). The hour long episodes were earlier this year then stopped around March. I am not sure if we will catch up any closer (maybe a broadcasting rights thing?).

Corrie is very popular with Canadians here in Nova Scotia. Our tiny town has a Coronation St fan club that meet up every couple of months I have watched it since the early 1970s. My 17 year old son never misses an episode. He loves it
CBC is bringing back the hour long episodes when the hockey is finally done. I asked HID if that would be August as the hockey seems to go on forever.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 2:26 pm
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Yes cheers your right about the real Devon apple juice, and you dont have to go to Devon to get it, most stores sale it,
I so like your list of things you love about the U.K. and your right about the lobbyists and the big corporations in the U.S. running the country.
I voted for the first time in England last month, just local voting for our councilors but Mum and I just went to the closest school just a 5 minute walk away and did it together, it was a nice experience for me,
And another first for me was a week before I left the U.S. the local elections were taking place at that time and Art my best friend and I went to the library and he showed me how to vote for the very first time in America, ----------- as shortly before the voting, about 6 months before I came home I became an American Citizen, it was so nice just to be finally able to vote in a Country that I had lived in way over half my life

Just been watching the England V Belgium game the score was 1-0 for England, thats two wins in a row for the first two games with the new England Manager.
Jasper

Are you allowed to vote in the up-coming usa presidential election via absentee ballot, and will you? Hope you can.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 2:33 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

I've just come back from my first doctor's visit here in the UK and I thought you might all want to know how it was.

I just needed a prescription for migraine medication. I registered at the local practice last week and they found my NHS number for me (I guess we all have one of those if we were born in the UK). The practice was closed over the holiday so they told me to call this morning for an appointment. I called and they said 'would you like to come in this afternoon?' which surprised me because my US doctor usually was booked up about a week in advance.

Went for the appointment and the lady at reception told me there was one person ahead of me. I ended up waiting about 20 minutes to be seen (would always wait that long or more at my NY doctor so that's no big deal).

The practice decor is definitely functional rather than stylish, but clean and with a comfortable waiting room.

The best part was that I got my prescription with no questions asked and have a very generous 2 months' supply for £7. I used to have to pay $10 for every 4 tablets in the US and the insurance company would only let me have 4 per month. If I got an extra migraine, I was out of luck!

It was very weird to leave without paying a $25 co-pay.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that update Sally and a good one too...

Ive been to the Dr's in the Uk a few times over the years and know the waiting time is so much shorter than what we get here, Here it can be anything like an hour after the actual appointment time before I get to see him or her...

I've taken my MIL to a few Dr's appointments in the UK, and 20-30 min's later we are leaving, this is far from the poor examples we are asked to believe by American politicians and media, your example reflects that too...
Old Jun 6th 2012, 3:38 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds wonderful Sally. I was wondering how hard it's going to be to get my migraine meds.

I finally watched the concert for the queen here on TV. I loved it, but they cut a load of people out. Annie Lenox, Shirley Bassey, Cliff Richards, Robbie Williams and loads more.
I got see Paul McCartney, he really does need to retire now. Elton John I thought did just fine. Tom Jones needs to move in next to Paul. Kylie Minogue I never liked her. Madness, loved it, my favorite song from my youth Our house. Stevie Wonder, not so good anymore now he's getting so old.
Will.i.am I loved, as well as Jessie J.
It was a lot of fun and the fireworks at the end were shown in full. Brilliant.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

We got to see the Concert on ABC last night, it was a bit of a disappointment after such a big build up over the last week or so, what we saw was OK but two hours and LOADS of adverts does not a concert make...

We didn't see many or most artists, Stevie was Great, Elton was OK under the circumstances, and Paul and Tom too...

No Robbie, No Shirley, No Annie, no Cliff and not a single comedian...

Charles spoke well and the fireworks we saw (4 minutes) were lovely, I had tears, it makes me PROUD to be British, there is something so special about the UK, I just feel like jumping on a plane after this weekend, it tares me up...

I'm hoping it will be shown in its entirety on BBC America but wont hold my breath.

They could sell DVD's of that and donate proceeds to Charity.

Can anyone tell us how long it lasted, start to finish, Thanks.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Sounds wonderful Sally. I was wondering how hard it's going to be to get my migraine meds.

I finally watched the concert for the queen here on TV. I loved it, but they cut a load of people out. Annie Lenox, Shirley Bassey, Cliff Richards, Robbie Williams and loads more.
I got see Paul McCartney, he really does need to retire now. Elton John I thought did just fine. Tom Jones needs to move in next to Paul. Kylie Minogue I never liked her. Madness, loved it, my favorite song from my youth Our house. Stevie Wonder, not so good anymore now he's getting so old.
Will.i.am I loved, as well as Jessie J.
It was a lot of fun and the fireworks at the end were shown in full. Brilliant.
I know Brits love Kylie and Robbie, they always seem popular when we go back, I'm just not impressed, I would have cut Kylie and shown Shirley instead for an American audience.

Jessia J who I had never heard before was good, she has a decent voice.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

I loved the projections on the front of Buckingham palace during "Our house" and "It must be love", they were superb!
Sorry they cut it for the USA. Grace Jones was fantastic, did you see her?
I think it was two hours, but could have been more like three, anyhow, I`m all queened out now!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.