Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Feb 10th 2010, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Wow things are really hotting up on our thread now.......congrats to TT for passing your test, that QV question would have had me stumped for sure!! But I thought you were sitting the US test?? Confused.com

AES and Rodney sooo good you have bought your tickets - I bet it seems like the light at the end of the tunnel.....what will you do Rodney if you do get laid off from your job? Will you change your plans?

I wish we all were located a bit nearer to each other, it would be so good to catch up at Christmas for lunch or dinner or something, maybe we could all meet somewhere in the middle of the UK LOL!!
Hi Barbara, that's my Sisters name too by the way, well if I am laid off next week with a whole lot of people at the place where I work so be it, no it will definitely not change my plans for England at all, I have been working there at this company long enough to get unemployment benefits which would be about the same as the money I get each week at work, but of course I would still be looking around for another job, cause I dont like to be idle, it would drive me crazy after a short while not having anything to get out of bed for, I would not let myself get into a Rut, I have had a few experiences like that before and it makes you feel really sick,
Take care, Rodney.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi Barbara, that's my Sisters name too by the way, well if I am laid off next week with a whole lot of people at the place where I work so be it, no it will definitely not change my plans for England at all, I have been working there at this company long enough to get unemployment benefits which would be about the same as the money I get each week at work, but of course I would still be looking around for another job, cause I dont like to be idle, it would drive me crazy after a short while not having anything to get out of bed for, I would not let myself get into a Rut, I have had a few experiences like that before and it makes you feel really sick,
Take care, Rodney.
PS and yes Barbara that sounds like a great idea of yours for us all to meet up somewhere in England once we are all over there, maybe we could all travel each year to Scotland and have a yearly reunion with Ed, wouldn't that be something, I have never been to Scotland before, would love to go, maybe someone out there could plan something somewhere anyway just so we could all meet each other, cause I think we all feel like friends already, and we all have so much in common right !!!
Rodney.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aes1
Local company five minutes from me. www.eurousa.us. One of the guys working there is a friend of a friend (both English) and I had met him one New Year. Not sure if I got a discount or not.
Thanks. I sent them an enquiry to see if they could help me. Thanks again
Old Feb 10th 2010, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

aes1. so happy to hear you are moving back and wish you all the best..
Old Feb 11th 2010, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Good Luck for your interview ED!!!!!:fingerscro ssed::fingerscross ed::fingerscrossed :
Old Feb 11th 2010, 2:05 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

aes1, good luck to ya in the move. And I see exchange rate heading in the right direction for you too.

We are still working on house before putting up for sale.
Discovered the bathroom vanity lights were not to Elec Code, (wire just came out of wall) so having to install Junction Boxes - but that will allow us to update the light fittings too.
Painting is getting close to done, only a bathrom and couple closets to finish, golly I will never put up wallpaper again if there is ever a chance I'll have to take it off again later.
Have had a Realtor in, seems like someone we can work well with.
Hoping to be ready to put up for sale in March, although this cold spell has deterred us from any garden work to give the place kerbside appeal. Hopefully will turn warmish in a couple weeks.
Hubby was walking the tightrope, holding onto his job until we get a House Contract Sale, but now his employer is to announce on March 1 possible office relocation to VA so his work situ may be not as we planned it. Yet another ball to juggle.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
PS and yes Barbara that sounds like a great idea of yours for us all to meet up somewhere in England once we are all over there, maybe we could all travel each year to Scotland and have a yearly reunion with Ed, wouldn't that be something, I have never been to Scotland before, would love to go, maybe someone out there could plan something somewhere anyway just so we could all meet each other, cause I think we all feel like friends already, and we all have so much in common right !!!
Rodney.
Would be nice to meet once a year at one of the peoples locations, that way you get to see the UK, meet good friends and have a great time.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 6:49 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Would be nice to meet once a year at one of the peoples locations, that way you get to see the UK, meet good friends and have a great time.
Sounds like a great plan!! We will have to think up a name for us all, like Oldies Come Home or some such........

How did your interview go today ED? With all those finger and other crossings and other good vibes going your way, hopefully we have worked some magic for you
Old Feb 11th 2010, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a great plan!! We will have to think up a name for us all, like Oldies Come Home or some such........

How did your interview go today ED? With all those finger and other crossings and other good vibes going your way, hopefully we have worked some magic for you
Sorry ,my interview is not until next week. How about Oldies but Goodies?
Old Feb 11th 2010, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

can't resist putting my 10cents worth in:

"XtremeXpats"

"UK Patriots"

"Bintheredunitts"

this is fun actually................

fingers crossed for the job ED for next week and for Rodney
and in fact all of us trying to fix and sell to move... Roll 0n
Old Feb 11th 2010, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Well I don't know what's up with this site, I am not getting my reminders to chedk and find myself a page behind again!!! So to all those wishing me good luck on my move.......thanks!!!!! And to all those still waiting for sales, interviews, jobs, etc, good luck again!!!!
Now I am busy trying to sell my belongings that I am not taking. That's the big stuff, furniture, as well as little things. I am trying out a strategy - make the price end the # 8, as in $8 or $58, etc. That's the Chinese lucky number for making money, and Chinese New Year (Tiger) is on Valentine's Day, Sunday!!! Started that this morning, listed 3 dressers for sale - and within a couple of hours I had received 10 emails of people interested. One sold already, someone coming for the second tonight! So may be this works!!

As to a meeting for us all, great idea!! In a 'summer' month of course, so we can be outdoors, there will be so many of us after all!!! This site has really been of such value to us all, huge thank you to whomever it was who first came up with the idea. I would love to know when and who that was and where he/she is now........
Old Feb 11th 2010, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

I believe it was Trotty that started the thread after some discussions with ED, Bev, etc,.

Yes, aes1 all the best and the time will simply fly by till you go I am sure

All the best for selling those furniture items tonight I do hope they go for you.. you are right not to leave it till the last minute to sell in case they dont..after all its all money in your pocket to spend when you arrive

Last edited by Relocateme; Feb 11th 2010 at 10:54 pm. Reason: spellcheck
Old Feb 11th 2010, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Relocateme
I believe it was Trotty that started the thread after some discussions with ED, Bev, etc,.

Yes, aes1 all the best and the time will simply fly by till you go I am sure

All the best for selling those furniture items tonight I do hope they go for you.. you are right not to leave it till the last minute to sell in case they dont..after all its all money in your pocket to spend when you arrive
Sorry, I meant who started this whole website, britishexpats.com. When and why? Where was she/he living?? Did he/she ever go back home?
Old Feb 12th 2010, 11:33 am
Just Joined

wannado is an unknown quantity at this point

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY ONFORMATION ON AUSTRALIAN VANLINES. I HAVE READ A FEW NEGATIVES ON VARIOUS SITES BUT WONDER IF ANYONE ON HERE HAS ANY ADDED INFORMATION? WE HAVE THINGS STORED WITH THEM (NOT OUR CHOICE COMPANY CHOICE AS WE ARE ON ASSIGNMENT? HOWEVER WE WILL BE TRANSPORTING THE STUFF TO THE UK LATER ON IN THE YEAR AND DONT KNOW IF WE SHOULD USE THEM OR NOT. IN ONE WAY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER FOR US BUT THE ADVERSE COMMENTS HAVE PUT ME OFF A LITTLE. ANY INFORMATION WOULD BE MOST APPRECIATED.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 2:37 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Relocateme
can't resist putting my 10cents worth in:

"XtremeXpats"

"UK Patriots"

"Bintheredunitts"

this is fun actually................

fingers crossed for the job ED for next week and for Rodney
and in fact all of us trying to fix and sell to move... Roll 0n
Xtreme nutters more like

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.