Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Feb 10th 2010, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Well I did it. I passed the test and am now waiting for the swearing in ceremony. Within 120 days. Not sure where it is going to be held.
I was worried when he asked for my British Passport but he did give it back to me. I did get thrown off when he asked me who was George lll's Granddaughter I told him I did not know. He smiled and said Queen Victoria. Then he said but that wasnt one of your questions
The whole thing took about 30 minutes. Waiting to be called in took longer.
Congratulations!!!!!, One more thing to tick off on your list.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aes1
Haven't been getting the emails to say there are new posts, so found myself 3 pages behind!!!!
To start: thanks ED for offer to help. Good luck with interview tomorrow.
TT good luck with test, and so sorry that is is 3 years now trying to sell your house............I hate that for you, I know how hard it is for me, just since last June trying to sell.
Relocate me.......gotta hang in there, and fingers crossed for Sunday!
Jasper - yes, emotional time with that song, but how super your courthouse is, being able to do everything right there and then. I have done all my stuff, Social security, passport. All set to go now.
Barb to answer your question, I fly from Charleston, change in Atlanta and Amsterdam. With Delta, cost me less than $700 this time, great deal. Always go that route, I love Shiphol airport, I go down to the supermarket by the train station (in airport) and stock up on good Dutch chocolate!!! My flight leaves March 24. Have given in notice at work (BTW good luck with that Jasper), and am on a countdown. Just busy packing my 30 cu ft worth of my personal belongings to ship. Cost $550. I almost turned the rest of my hair grey worrying about whether to send anything at all, then finally decided, hey, I am WORTH IT. Enough scrimping and scraping, I want my little reminders of all the adventures in my life so far. I certainly won't remember them without something tangible!! LOL. Hoping they will arrive at my sister's (where I will be staying at first) before I leave for Malta so I can unpack. So, back to the packing, want to get them shipped this week.
Aes1 Who is doing your shipping as we haven't found anyone yet and that looks like a good price
Old Feb 10th 2010, 5:21 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Wow things are really hotting up on our thread now.......congrats to TT for passing your test, that QV question would have had me stumped for sure!! But I thought you were sitting the US test?? Confused.com

AES and Rodney sooo good you have bought your tickets - I bet it seems like the light at the end of the tunnel.....what will you do Rodney if you do get laid off from your job? Will you change your plans?

I wish we all were located a bit nearer to each other, it would be so good to catch up at Christmas for lunch or dinner or something, maybe we could all meet somewhere in the middle of the UK LOL!!
Old Feb 10th 2010, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Congrats TT You did it!!!...what a relief now hey?

It does feel good after going through these necessary stress times to put the papers in order

say are you in the US?

ED..I looked up that shipping place EuroUS kindly offered by Aes1 but they are not located in Cda...unfortunately

I have researched Khuene and Nagel which shipped my things 35yrs ago but they have moved on from shipping personal effects;- as have a company called Panalpina.

Seems in Manitoba there is simply nothing available except for Fedex and Canada Post.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 5:50 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Relocateme
Congrats TT You did it!!!...what a relief now hey?

It does feel good after going through these necessary stress times to put the papers in order

say are you in the US?

ED..I looked up that shipping place EuroUS kindly offered by Aes1 but they are not located in Cda...unfortunately

I have researched Khuene and Nagel which shipped my things 35yrs ago but they have moved on from shipping personal effects;- as have a company called Panalpina.

Seems in Manitoba there is simply nothing available except for Fedex and Canada Post.
Kuehne & Nagel and Panalpina are International freight forwarders. If you look up Freight Forwarders in your yellow pages you will most probably find a long list of the same. A lot of these companies will do sea freight personal effects, though not all and most probably none will do personal effects by airfreight due to the increased airline security regulations. At least that's how it was when I left Australia last year.

Not sure if Manitoba is a city or a state but they are normally located in big cities nearest to the airport/seaport. They should be able to arrange cartage from any city and deliver to the appropriate sea or air terminal.

I worked for Yusen Air & Sea another International freight forwarder........just do a bit of phoning around.......

p.s. If anybody wants any advise on shipping airfreight from Australia to the UK just ask me and I will see if I can still remember what to do

Last edited by Beedubya; Feb 10th 2010 at 5:56 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 10th 2010, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Wow things are really hotting up on our thread now.......congrats to TT for passing your test, that QV question would have had me stumped for sure!! But I thought you were sitting the US test?? Confused.com

AES and Rodney sooo good you have bought your tickets - I bet it seems like the light at the end of the tunnel.....what will you do Rodney if you do get laid off from your job? Will you change your plans?

I wish we all were located a bit nearer to each other, it would be so good to catch up at Christmas for lunch or dinner or something, maybe we could all meet somewhere in the middle of the UK LOL!!
Sounds like a good plan to me
Old Feb 10th 2010, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Kuehne & Nagel and Panalpina are International freight forwarders. If you look up Freight Forwarders in your yellow pages you will most probably find a long list of the same. A lot of these companies will do sea freight personal effects, though not all and most probably none will do personal effects by airfreight due to the increased airline security regulations. At least that's how it was when I left Australia last year.

Not sure if Manitoba is a city or a state but they are normally located in big cities nearest to the airport/seaport. They should be able to arrange cartage from any city and deliver to the appropriate sea or air terminal.

I worked for Yusen Air & Sea another International freight forwarder........just do a bit of phoning around.......

p.s. If anybody wants any advise on shipping airfreight from Australia to the UK just ask me and I will see if I can still remember what to do
Thank you B for your advice

There are 4 only listed in my rural yellow pages

Cole, Khuene and Nagel, Lark and Whizdom in my rural area

I have cell only which I use for Hwy travel so calling all over for me is not financially viable at present with this phone. every call is long distance

I will check when I go into work and use their phone and internet...

thanks for the help and if anyone has any advice shipping Canada to Uk then me and ED would probably be interested in hearing

ps. Manitoba is a Province in ctre of Cda and Winnipeg is the Capital City

Meanwhile hows your packing coming aes1?

Last edited by Relocateme; Feb 10th 2010 at 6:56 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 10th 2010, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Relocateme..... I am in the US

Beedubya.... I was taking the US Citizenship test... He was joking with the question about Queen Victoria
Old Feb 10th 2010, 7:21 pm
Home Sweet Home

I have cell only which I use for Hwy travel so calling all over for me is not financially viable at present with this phone. every call is long distance

thanks for the help and if anyone has any advice shipping Canada to Uk then me and ED would probably be interested in hearing

Thanks for the Canada lesson I admit to knowing nothing about Canada except the Mounties, a lot of snow and lovely mountains LOL!!

This is the company I worked for with their Canada branches:

Yusen Air & Sea Service (Canada) Inc. - Head Office & Toronto Branch
261 Parkhurst Square,
Brampton, Ontario
Canada L6T 5H5
1-905-458-9622
1-905-458-7120
[email protected]

Vancouver Branch
5200 Miller Road, Unit #121
Richmond, B.C., Canada
V7B 1Y2
1-604-278-3944
1-604-278-1745
[email protected]

Montreal Branch
800 Stuart Graham South, Suite 340
Dorval, Quebec, Canada
H4Y 1J6
1-514-420-0630
1-514-420-0630
[email protected]

Try emailing them and see if they can point you in the right direction. Tell them I worked for Yusen in Sydney in the Export Airfreight section for 8 years and see if that helps to help you - my name is Barbara Williams - hence the Beedubya

We very rarely sent airfreight to Canada so I don't have any contacts there sorry, but might be able to help out in some other countries.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 7:22 pm
Home Sweet Home

Relocateme..... I am in the US

Beedubya.... I was taking the US Citizenship test... He was joking with the question about Queen Victoria
I thought you were TT, that's why I wondered what QV had to do with the USA, must have been his sense of humour LOL!!

oops sorry humor - you will all have to learn to spell properly now

Last edited by Beedubya; Feb 10th 2010 at 7:39 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 7:36 pm
Home Sweet Home

A quick search on Google found these, hope they are of some use to you:

http://www.nipponexpress.ca/en/se_ms.htm

http://www.mainfreightusa.com/usa/US...nShipping.aspx

http://www.freightnet.com/directory/p1/cAA/s99.htm

http://www.azfreight.com/azworld/aw12905.cfm

You may find that not as many companies now do personal effects as used to due to the 9/11 incident, it really tightened up regulations in the industry and some freight is just not worth the hassle at the end of the day...........

Last edited by Beedubya; Feb 10th 2010 at 7:41 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Packing is complete, thanks! And boxes are with the shipping company (five minute drive from me, I had a friend take them for me in his truck. I had 10 boxes - 6 plastic stackable and 4 cardboard, cheaper that way than all plastic (which are recommended as they are obviously sturdier and won't get wet if pouring with rain on unloading in England!!). Total of 30 cu ft. So about just under 3 cu ft each. A good size, if they were any bigger, no one could lift them! I put my books in a couple of the cardboard ones so they wouldn't be so heavy. It cost me $550, and I paid 2% of estimated value for insurance- the least you could pay was $75, which makes it $400 a box (more than the contents probably are worth!) if something happens to it. So now each box is supposedly covered against breakage, getting wet, lost, etc. The only other possible charge is if customs decides to do a random inspection of the entire container, in which case the fee resulting from that is divided between all shipments, coming to approx $50 or $75 each. So I have paid $625 now and the most I will pay total is $700. They are delivered to my sister's house at the other end, to the door, possibly inside the house, but not upstairs. They may arrive before I do! After deliberating for weeks on this, whether to ship anything at all, just make do with a suitcase on the plane, pay for extra baggage on the plane, or even post little parcels by mail..........I am now glad I have done it this way. As I was packing my boxes I was thinking of how each individual item didn't really cost much (aside from some expensive china), just a few dollars here and there, even my clothes are mainly from the thrift store. But then I thought about how much it would cost me to replace each item at the other end - say I need a tape measure, or a sharp knife, or another nightgown, stapler, frying pan, needle and thread, - little stuff but the essentials that we take for granted perhaps. Well, without a job and no money coming in, these dollar items soon mount up - and I would be sick if I thought I had to spend money on trivial yet necessary stuff that I had ended up having to give away over here, with no one wanting to spend anything at garage sales, etc. I am happy I did this, these items represent the last 26 years of my life, memories of my sons and my travel adventures. Somehow comforting to know I will have them when I arrive in my 'new' country. Now that's out of the way, I shall relax the rest of the day before starting the next task for this move!

Old Feb 10th 2010, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

For those who are interested, Upakweship is part of Eurousa. That's who I used for shipping.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by aes1
Packing is complete, thanks! And boxes are with the shipping company (five minute drive from me, I had a friend take them for me in his truck. I had 10 boxes - 6 plastic stackable and 4 cardboard, cheaper that way than all plastic (which are recommended as they are obviously sturdier and won't get wet if pouring with rain on unloading in England!!). Total of 30 cu ft. So about just under 3 cu ft each. A good size, if they were any bigger, no one could lift them! I put my books in a couple of the cardboard ones so they wouldn't be so heavy. It cost me $550, and I paid 2% of estimated value for insurance- the least you could pay was $75, which makes it $400 a box (more than the contents probably are worth!) if something happens to it. So now each box is supposedly covered against breakage, getting wet, lost, etc. The only other possible charge is if customs decides to do a random inspection of the entire container, in which case the fee resulting from that is divided between all shipments, coming to approx $50 or $75 each. So I have paid $625 now and the most I will pay total is $700. They are delivered to my sister's house at the other end, to the door, possibly inside the house, but not upstairs. They may arrive before I do! After deliberating for weeks on this, whether to ship anything at all, just make do with a suitcase on the plane, pay for extra baggage on the plane, or even post little parcels by mail..........I am now glad I have done it this way. As I was packing my boxes I was thinking of how each individual item didn't really cost much (aside from some expensive china), just a few dollars here and there, even my clothes are mainly from the thrift store. But then I thought about how much it would cost me to replace each item at the other end - say I need a tape measure, or a sharp knife, or another nightgown, stapler, frying pan, needle and thread, - little stuff but the essentials that we take for granted perhaps. Well, without a job and no money coming in, these dollar items soon mount up - and I would be sick if I thought I had to spend money on trivial yet necessary stuff that I had ended up having to give away over here, with no one wanting to spend anything at garage sales, etc. I am happy I did this, these items represent the last 26 years of my life, memories of my sons and my travel adventures. Somehow comforting to know I will have them when I arrive in my 'new' country. Now that's out of the way, I shall relax the rest of the day before starting the next task for this move!
You are right it is those little things that you miss the most when starting to set up house again. This week I found a wonderful Charity Shop ran by Cancer UK. They specialise in furniture, and electrics. The furniture was all in good to excellent shape and very modern. New pieces were also available at very good prices and electrics had been checked out before going on sale. Then found another charity shop run by a hospice. This one had dishes , crystal, painting etc, saw a beautiful 6 place setting, plus 2 covered serving bowls, gravy boat, and large platter, for £25.00.
So if I do get the job and become more financially stable I will start purchasing and putting away for when I move.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Well I did it. I passed the test and am now waiting for the swearing in ceremony. Within 120 days. Not sure where it is going to be held.
I was worried when he asked for my British Passport but he did give it back to me. I did get thrown off when he asked me who was George lll's Granddaughter I told him I did not know. He smiled and said Queen Victoria. Then he said but that wasnt one of your questions
The whole thing took about 30 minutes. Waiting to be called in took longer.
Oh trottytrue my heart goes out to you, CONGRATULATIONS to you, you did a great Job, and I know how you feel right now, what a relief that its over with, I know how nerve recking it can be as we dont know what to expect,
Sounds like you had a very funny interviewer with a sense of humor, When I passed my interview I just had to wait in the waiting area for about half hour and my name was called again and another man came out of this other office and just handed me a letter with the date and place of my oath ceremony, so I did not have to wait to get the letter through the mail, and it was set for just 5 weeks after that interview day, but of course all parts of the U.S. are different, some states and citys have a much larger population and so the waiting time for your oath date is just longer,
Well again Congrats and Hello fellow American Yank,
Rodney,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.