Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Feb 9th 2010, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Thanks everyone for the wishes for next Fridays interview. Still not sure how to get there though, think I might do a dry run on the train, see how long it takes me and how I actually get there
Old Feb 9th 2010, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Easterndawn wishing you good luck. Have you tried Mapquest and then tried to see what the bus roots are. Also on Google earth they show bus roots near areas you are looking at. Not always depends on where you are.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Relocateme....Will be thinking of you on Sunday. We have been living in limbo for nearly 3 years. Thats how long we have tried to sell our house. It goes off the market in winter and back on in the Spring and I know exactly what you mean about putting your personal items away. I boxed all my hobbies and pictures and other items up in the attic. I was up there yesterday and was nearly in tears at some of the things that I love and that are just in boxes. Its like 3 years of nothing. I made the decision and brought down all the things I love and I have stocked my sewing room with all my crafts (put away neatly) but at least I can get at them and I have put all my other items in cupboards. I must admit such alot of stuff in the attic I no longer care about and will get rid of before we move. Funny what you really appreaciate after years of waiting.

Tomorrow is my citizenship test. 8 in the morning will post as to how it goes. We are expecting a snow storm hope it does not arrive too early.
Hello trottytrue, good luck on your interview tomorrow, WOW thats early 8am,
Dont worry about a thing, as I told you before it is so easy, and anyhow Im sure you like me studied hard and long for the test questions so you no them all anyway, takes about 15 to 20 minutes once your name is called, and after you pass with flying colors like I did then you just wait a little until your Oath ceremony to make it all official,
By the way I had my Oath ceremony 4 days ago on Friday, still recovering from all the emotion I and everyone had, you could feel the pride that everyone was experiencing, they played the video song of (proud to be an American) that did it for me, I was so wrapped up in the whole event that tears started to run down my face, couldn't help it, I was all dressed up in my Sunday best suit & tie, looking like a million dollars,
Anyway there were 320 people that became American Citizens on Friday in Las Vegas, 4 separate sessions of 80 people from 28 different countries, our ceremony took about 2 hours or so and then we were instructed to go into the hall way outside the court room and there were three lines, and three booths, one line to put your name down for voting and jury duty, next line for another form to fill out for social security card, you keep the same number of course but they send you another card to use, the form just changes your status from registered alien to U.S. citizen with the social security dept,
Then the last line you get into is optional, they provide a service for you to apply for your American Passport so you just fill out the form and they take 2 passport pictures and you write them a check for the fee $95 which goes to the passport office plus there fee for the service they provide of $25, and they take a copy of your naturalization certificate which they give to you and they have to send the original in the envelope with the completed form to the passport office, takes between 4 to 6 weeks to get you passport back through the mail and they send your naturalization certificate back with your passport,
So the courthouse here in Vegas is a one stop shop for everything just like walmart, I was very impressed with the ease of everything, and so organised,
the whole thing from start to finish took three & half hours,
Getting my citizenship from day one when I sent in my application till day end ------- oath ceremony day, start to finish was for me 9 weeks total, now that was really fast, and that really surprised me cause I was expecting 4 to 6 months, but I am sure the time would differ depending in which part of the country you live in,
Well thats it for me, good luck again trottytrue and just like you did for me, congratulations in advance,
Rodney.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 7:57 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Relocateme
I have been very patient waiting for my house to sell since October however,

I am getting weary of hiding all my stuff every weekend for these house showings...lost count how many.

A lot of folks looking at my home with no real or intent and it sure is a lot of work.

This weekends visitors seem a little different for one reason and another and I wonder if this could "be the one".

I wonder if some of you on our thread can send a few good vibes my way for this particular house showing on Sunday afternoon..

thanx in advance
Relocateme
Sending some "spring, fresh new start, new decade" good vibes your way.....soon we will be saying Welcome Home to you and yours.

Barb
Old Feb 9th 2010, 7:58 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Relocateme....Will be thinking of you on Sunday. We have been living in limbo for nearly 3 years. Thats how long we have tried to sell our house. It goes off the market in winter and back on in the Spring and I know exactly what you mean about putting your personal items away. I boxed all my hobbies and pictures and other items up in the attic. I was up there yesterday and was nearly in tears at some of the things that I love and that are just in boxes. Its like 3 years of nothing. I made the decision and brought down all the things I love and I have stocked my sewing room with all my crafts (put away neatly) but at least I can get at them and I have put all my other items in cupboards. I must admit such alot of stuff in the attic I no longer care about and will get rid of before we move. Funny what you really appreaciate after years of waiting.

Tomorrow is my citizenship test. 8 in the morning will post as to how it goes. We are expecting a snow storm hope it does not arrive too early.
Good luck for tomorrow TT and sending the "snow, snow stay away" good vibes your way.

Barb
Old Feb 9th 2010, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hello trottytrue, good luck on your interview tomorrow, WOW thats early 8am,
Dont worry about a thing, as I told you before it is so easy, and anyhow Im sure you like me studied hard and long for the test questions so you no them all anyway, takes about 15 to 20 minutes once your name is called, and after you pass with flying colors like I did then you just wait a little until your Oath ceremony to make it all official,
By the way I had my Oath ceremony 4 days ago on Friday, still recovering from all the emotion I and everyone had, you could feel the pride that everyone was experiencing, they played the video song of (proud to be an American) that did it for me, I was so wrapped up in the whole event that tears started to run down my face, couldn't help it, I was all dressed up in my Sunday best suit & tie, looking like a million dollars,
Anyway there were 320 people that became American Citizens on Friday in Las Vegas, 4 separate sessions of 80 people from 28 different countries, our ceremony took about 2 hours or so and then we were instructed to go into the hall way outside the court room and there were three lines, and three booths, one line to put your name down for voting and jury duty, next line for another form to fill out for social security card, you keep the same number of course but they send you another card to use, the form just changes your status from registered alien to U.S. citizen with the social security dept,
Then the last line you get into is optional, they provide a service for you to apply for your American Passport so you just fill out the form and they take 2 passport pictures and you write them a check for the fee $95 which goes to the passport office plus there fee for the service they provide of $25, and they take a copy of your naturalization certificate which they give to you and they have to send the original in the envelope with the completed form to the passport office, takes between 4 to 6 weeks to get you passport back through the mail and they send your naturalization certificate back with your passport,
So the courthouse here in Vegas is a one stop shop for everything just like walmart, I was very impressed with the ease of everything, and so organised,
the whole thing from start to finish took three & half hours,
Getting my citizenship from day one when I sent in my application till day end ------- oath ceremony day, start to finish was for me 9 weeks total, now that was really fast, and that really surprised me cause I was expecting 4 to 6 months, but I am sure the time would differ depending in which part of the country you live in,
Well thats it for me, good luck again trottytrue and just like you did for me, congratulations in advance,
Rodney.
Oh by the way regarding the passport fee, the actual fee for the passport was $75 but if you want you can also get what they call a passport card which costs an extra $20 the card is handy to have cause its the same size as a credit card which fits into your wallet, Its a U.S. passport issued in card format you can actually travel just using the card but only to certain countries like Mexico or canada the caribbean and Bermuda and only by land or sea from the U.S. basically its kind of useless really but its handy to just have it in your wallet to prove that you are a U.S. Citizen,
And I thought I would let all my friends out there know that a couple of days ago I booked my flight from Vegas to Gatwick non stop flight on Virgin Atlantic, leaving on November 30th, I bought a round trip ticket cause it was about a third of the price of a one way, go figure !!! dont make much sense to me but anyway, so I just wont use the return potion of the ticket, total cost for the E ticket was $686 including all taxes and fees, darn best price I have ever had, I normally pay around $750 round trip leaving same month November, So I am very happy the flight is booked and done, and so happy that I will be in England for my first Christmas for at least 20 years, Christmas with my 90 year old Mum and my Family finally, dream come true, cant hardly wait to set foot on British soil again, I am getting very excited, so until then I will just keep working at my Job here in Vegas that I am starting to really hate, but its a Job and it pays the bills, next week though my company is laying off a whole bunch of people, we have a meeting on the 18th to let us know who is on the hit list, hope my name is not on it but think it may well be as I have only been working there for 9 months,
I intend to stay back Home in the old country for good, I will be positive, hopefully as positive as you Ed, and just so much looking forward to being home again after 36 years away, 33 in U.S and before that 3 years in Canada,
Good luck again Ed on the bank Job, hope you get it, fingers crossed,
Rodney.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Relocateme
I have been very patient waiting for my house to sell since October however,

I am getting weary of hiding all my stuff every weekend for these house showings...lost count how many.

A lot of folks looking at my home with no real or intent and it sure is a lot of work.

This weekends visitors seem a little different for one reason and another and I wonder if this could "be the one".

I wonder if some of you on our thread can send a few good vibes my way for this particular house showing on Sunday afternoon..

thanx in advance
Relocateme
Good luck from Las Vegas and a million good vibes are heading your way for your showing on Sunday, hope you sale your house soon Relocateme,
Rodney.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Haven't been getting the emails to say there are new posts, so found myself 3 pages behind!!!!
To start: thanks ED for offer to help. Good luck with interview tomorrow.
TT good luck with test, and so sorry that is is 3 years now trying to sell your house............I hate that for you, I know how hard it is for me, just since last June trying to sell.
Relocate me.......gotta hang in there, and fingers crossed for Sunday!
Jasper - yes, emotional time with that song, but how super your courthouse is, being able to do everything right there and then. I have done all my stuff, Social security, passport. All set to go now.
Barb to answer your question, I fly from Charleston, change in Atlanta and Amsterdam. With Delta, cost me less than $700 this time, great deal. Always go that route, I love Shiphol airport, I go down to the supermarket by the train station (in airport) and stock up on good Dutch chocolate!!! My flight leaves March 24. Have given in notice at work (BTW good luck with that Jasper), and am on a countdown. Just busy packing my 30 cu ft worth of my personal belongings to ship. Cost $550. I almost turned the rest of my hair grey worrying about whether to send anything at all, then finally decided, hey, I am WORTH IT. Enough scrimping and scraping, I want my little reminders of all the adventures in my life so far. I certainly won't remember them without something tangible!! LOL. Hoping they will arrive at my sister's (where I will be staying at first) before I leave for Malta so I can unpack. So, back to the packing, want to get them shipped this week.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 9:33 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aes1
Haven't been getting the emails to say there are new posts, so found myself 3 pages behind!!!!
TT good luck with test, and so sorry that is is 3 years now trying to sell your house............I hate that for you, I know how hard it is for me, just since last June trying to sell.
Jasper - yes, emotional time with that song, but how super your courthouse is, being able to do everything right there and then. I have done all my stuff, Social security, passport. All set to go now.
Barb to answer your question, I fly from Charleston, change in Atlanta and Amsterdam. With Delta, cost me less than $700 this time, great deal. Always go that route, I love Shiphol airport, I go down to the supermarket by the train station (in airport) and stock up on good Dutch chocolate!!! My flight leaves March 24. Have given in notice at work (BTW good luck with that Jasper), and am on a countdown. Just busy packing my 30 cu ft worth of my personal belongings to ship. Cost $550. I almost turned the rest of my hair grey worrying about whether to send anything at all, then finally decided, hey, I am WORTH IT. Enough scrimping and scraping, I want my little reminders of all the adventures in my life so far. I certainly won't remember them without something tangible!! LOL. Hoping they will arrive at my sister's (where I will be staying at first) before I leave for Malta so I can unpack. So, back to the packing, want to get them shipped this week.
Wow thats great. I must have missed some posts on you last I looked, I didn't realize the house sold. If not heres it goes before you leave.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Wow thats great. I must have missed some posts on you last I looked, I didn't realize the house sold. If not heres it goes before you leave.
No, not sold yet, despite dropping price to nothing. Have to foreclose if it doesn't sell by the time I go.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 10:08 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

No, not sold yet, despite dropping price to nothing. Have to foreclose if it doesn't sell by the time I go.
Aww so sorry, but I suppose better than wasting away here waiting for someone to buy, it could take forever the way things are going.
I just hope things pick up before we get ready to move whenever the heck that will be
Old Feb 10th 2010, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations. You must be so excited!

When you say you are "busy packing my 30 cu ft worth of my personal belongings to ship. cost $550." That sounds very reasonable. Who are you shipping with??
Old Feb 10th 2010, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Marmalade
Congratulations. You must be so excited!

When you say you are "busy packing my 30 cu ft worth of my personal belongings to ship. cost $550." That sounds very reasonable. Who are you shipping with??
Local company five minutes from me. www.eurousa.us. One of the guys working there is a friend of a friend (both English) and I had met him one New Year. Not sure if I got a discount or not.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Well I did it. I passed the test and am now waiting for the swearing in ceremony. Within 120 days. Not sure where it is going to be held.
I was worried when he asked for my British Passport but he did give it back to me. I did get thrown off when he asked me who was George lll's Granddaughter I told him I did not know. He smiled and said Queen Victoria. Then he said but that wasnt one of your questions
The whole thing took about 30 minutes. Waiting to be called in took longer.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Oh by the way regarding the passport fee, the actual fee for the passport was $75 but if you want you can also get what they call a passport card which costs an extra $20 the card is handy to have cause its the same size as a credit card which fits into your wallet, Its a U.S. passport issued in card format you can actually travel just using the card but only to certain countries like Mexico or canada the caribbean and Bermuda and only by land or sea from the U.S. basically its kind of useless really but its handy to just have it in your wallet to prove that you are a U.S. Citizen,
And I thought I would let all my friends out there know that a couple of days ago I booked my flight from Vegas to Gatwick non stop flight on Virgin Atlantic, leaving on November 30th, I bought a round trip ticket cause it was about a third of the price of a one way, go figure !!! dont make much sense to me but anyway, so I just wont use the return potion of the ticket, total cost for the E ticket was $686 including all taxes and fees, darn best price I have ever had, I normally pay around $750 round trip leaving same month November, So I am very happy the flight is booked and done, and so happy that I will be in England for my first Christmas for at least 20 years, Christmas with my 90 year old Mum and my Family finally, dream come true, cant hardly wait to set foot on British soil again, I am getting very excited, so until then I will just keep working at my Job here in Vegas that I am starting to really hate, but its a Job and it pays the bills, next week though my company is laying off a whole bunch of people, we have a meeting on the 18th to let us know who is on the hit list, hope my name is not on it but think it may well be as I have only been working there for 9 months,
I intend to stay back Home in the old country for good, I will be positive, hopefully as positive as you Ed, and just so much looking forward to being home again after 36 years away, 33 in U.S and before that 3 years in Canada,
Good luck again Ed on the bank Job, hope you get it, fingers crossed,
Rodney.
Thanks Rodney for the wishes, I am getting quite nervous. Can't wait to be a working woman again. I am so happy for you and the plans you have made. The time will go very quickly, funny to think that so many of the people who have been on this site for so many months will be "home" at last. What a Christmas for you and so many others.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.