Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Sep 12th 2009, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by alba1
I am still undecided as to my move home. I thought I had made up my mind
but frankly some of the posts I have seen worry me. I am planning on returning with very limited funds but will not be receiving benefits only a extremely small basic pension and my US pension. I would be starting from scratch, making friends etc. and don't want to encounter any problems from
small minded people who jump to conclusions. How prevalent is this type of thinking?
I know where you are coming from alba1. I too must start from the beginning, no friends or family in the UK to help. Finding a new place like looking for a needle in a haystack. Very limited funds, especially after conversion rates, etc, and no job after an absence of 26 years. Scary, scary, scary. However, my heart needs to go. I am unhappy in the US. This will not change. In fact, this feeling will become deeper as I become more and more concerned about surviving here with no health care - even if Obama performs a miracle and reforms the system, it will still not equal the UK. There are always doubts, I read all the posts and my feelings go up and down like a yo yo. But, you have to decide where you belong. That's all that really matters in the long run, regardless of the amount of money you have or don't have. If you are where you belong, you feel good, strong and confident, and then all things are possible because you attract only good - and vice versa. I always know when my decision is right when my little inner voice says 'but, this is what you need'. Despite all the doubts, all the negative feedback and people telling me not to do something, if I hear that voice, I know I need to make that decision. Make a list, pros and cons, see which is bigger. Then throw it away and go with your heart.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

aces1 and alba1... I would not let it worry your about starting over in the UK. Even though I have family they will not be living close to me. No matter where you live when you move to a new area it is difficult but I think being in the Uk is easier. Here in the US its hard to make friends as houses are so far from one another. Even in a small neighbourhood where I live making friends is not easy in fact we have lived here for 9 years and I dont have 1 friend.
When you go home if you get a job that will help. Join a Church or womens group. Plus I don't think you need the same amount of money like you do in the US or for that matter other countries. Make sure you live near bus routes and then you dont need a car. You can buy small houses. You dont have to buy big, look at 'Rightmove UK' and you will get an idea of housing prices.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

On a long visit to UK in 2000 ...couldn't stay with family ( older ones were scared it would affect their entitlements etc.,) so I rented a 1bd flat and went out looking for work on a daily basis...

I was hired on at an Architectural firm checking blueprints (my field) I got that job due to the owner recently returned as well..after the contract was over I worked in call-centre (not good) but paid rent...its all ok!

theres always something....typing, working in a store till you can find work in your own field... first thing I bought was a radio... ...Hey I actually enjoyed the walk home and picking up a bag of fresh food, making the meal and sitting listening to the shows.

My advice is dont get a flashy place to start and work up...rent on a month-to-month in case something good comes up

You meet great pals in the workplace right away and then its only a few days before you suddenly have a social life ...actually going "out" at night.......What's that? Yes an invitation to the "pub"...(that first pint..OMG!)
Walkers cheese n' Oniion crisps...

Think of it ..sitting out on a sunny Sunday afternoon in the gardens of The Three Bells with the river cose by..kids playing on the grass...your gazing into the blue sky thinking of just how much hard work it took to get get back to this place you were born in....

"Another one?".."Whaat?..."Do you want a refill?...I'm just going back in"...."Oh right".."Yes please and a packet of Cheese n' Onion as well "
Suddenly you realize "Yes this is it ...I'm home!"

I made a big mistake telling them where I was from and all about Canada it...wouldn't do that again though ...I would just keep mouth shut.

They like to give you the gears about all sorts of things on on this side of the pond so Mum's the word for me this time at work

I am positive about move and looking forward to it done it before ..can do it again
Old Sep 12th 2009, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

nailbite is an unknown quantity at this point

"SITTING OUT ON A SUNNY AFTERNOON IN THE PUB" - so when did we have that here in the UK this year !!!
Old Sep 12th 2009, 10:27 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nailbite
"SITTING OUT ON A SUNNY AFTERNOON IN THE PUB" - so when did we have that here in the UK this year !!!
A hell of a lo in he south east!! In fact we had a BBQ this afternoon
Old Sep 12th 2009, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Re: sitting out

Wot! where are you then?...we're over here!"

Know what you mean though...I put my umbrella up in the spring and had it open about 4 times only..its going in the shed this weekend
Old Sep 12th 2009, 10:50 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
A hell of a lo in he south east!! In fact we had a BBQ this afternoon
Don't bother flea.

This poster is wanting to go to Australia so has obviously lost all capacity for rational thought.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

Oh ok then..what about sitting inside the pub chatting to your new mates then <---relocateme likes this!
Old Sep 12th 2009, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

your not supposed to be on here anyway....your too young!!
Old Sep 12th 2009, 10:54 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Relocateme
your not supposed to be on here anyway....your too young!!
Who
Old Sep 12th 2009, 11:01 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Don't bother flea.

This poster is wanting to go to Australia so has obviously lost all capacity for rational thought.

Thanks for the heads up C, i'll go pour another
Old Sep 12th 2009, 11:02 pm
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by Grayling
Who
Me, because you are DEFINITELY an old fart
Old Sep 12th 2009, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

Re: "SITTING OUT ON A SUNNY AFTERNOON IN THE PUB

Please disregard the above sentence from nailbite and insert "sitting out on a sunny Sunday afternoon in the gardens etc.,"

stop chewing your nails and do more reading
Old Sep 12th 2009, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

"C" ha ha ha you really are dyslexic...I thought you were joking!
ha ha
Old Sep 12th 2009, 11:19 pm
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by Relocateme
"C" ha ha ha you really are dyslexic...I thought you were joking!
ha ha

I really AM, but i know Graylings real name. It begins with C or is it D?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.