Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Sep 12th 2009, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Not sure how we will do it once we sell the house we will put the money from the sale into an account and then move to the UK and I think you have to prove residency to open an account I suppose I could open one for my pension to be put into but unless things have changed last time I was home and I asked in the back that was the rule you have to live in the UK to open a bank account. So we could not transfer our money till that was done.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 3:17 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I think HSBC has an international Current account/checking account, worth a try.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 4:13 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

For those who have perm residency in UK, but dont need an international account, go to Lloyds Bank. Most high street banks and building societys will not allow you to have an account unless you have been back here for 12mths and can be credit checked, but Lloyds have allowed me AND my husband who is a New Zealander on a spouse visa to open an account
Old Sep 12th 2009, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Thankyou IG

How are you these days?
Hi Flea,
I have enjoyed your posts so much I feel like I know you really well

I am still trying to settle down to life as we know it in OZ,not easy as you well know,sometimes I feel that going home each year for holidays is making me more unsettled.
There are days when I just cry my heart out,then I look at my Grandchildren and G/grandchildren and think to myself how can I up and leave them . I have no one left in Ireland and only one cousin and her husband in England so as you can see it makes such a difference when you have family there !!!!!

Please keep your posts coming I really enjoy them
I.G.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Auldyin; Yes, we have paid into the system here between the both of us over 70 years and will be getting our pensions from Canada. We do not plan to "SPONGE " of the system in the UK. The point that I was making, that seemed to have eluded you, was that I was tired of people asking us why we were moving back to UK, now I can list the good things that the country offers it's citizens.

I plan to work for at least 10 to 15 years before retiring, and plan to contribute to the community that I live in as we have done here. Your suspicions are completely untrue and we take strong offence to them!!!!

As for the reader who mentioned that there is no prescription fee, this is not completely true, there are many drugs that are not covered by this plan. I have worked in an Emergency Department in a Trauma 1 hospital in a large city for many years before moving to the Island. I saw with my own eyes the results of seniors not being able to afford their meds.

It was my belief that this forum was to assist people who are thinking or have moved back to the UK, not to critisize or surmise why they are moving.

From your previous posts I believe you said you have lived in Canada for 44 years, so presumably have paid all your taxes here and none in the UK. You now plan to go back to the UK and are pleased you can tell Canadians that you'll get free prescriptions, free bus passes, council tax reduction and a heating allowance. If I had lived in the UK all my life and read your post I would be livid that you can return and receive such benefits without contributing a singe penny into the UK Government coffers. I would perceive you as nothing but a sponger. If you are returning only because that's where you want to live out your life, that I can fully understand, but given your comments, I do somehow suspect your true motives.[/QUOTE]
Old Sep 12th 2009, 12:28 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aes1
WOW, I am away from my computer for only a couple of hours and there are at least 5 more posts!!! This thread is sweet!!!!!!!! Oops, guess I need to start changing my words to UK ones..........brilliant!!!!!!!!!!! biscuits, chips, vests, knickers, waistcoats and jumpers No more cookies, fries, undershirts, panties, vests and pinafores.....did I get that right?! Boy, this is going to be like learning a new language after 26 years, anyone else thought about that?? I don't want people thinking I am a Yankee or a Redneck Good points everyone, Peggie, great ad, thanks for posting that, will definitely be doing same. Thanks for concern again, still up here getting excited for Peggie on her countdown! Can we come and see you off at the airport?! Wouldn't that be great!! Hearing about Scotland almost makes me want to try moving there - but I know these 'middlie' bones of mine wouldn't appreciate the climate. Have to ease my way back in........all those scarves I've been knitting will come in handy.......wish I could post one to all of you going back!!! Question re passport. My UK one expires end of Feb next year. I hope to have my citizenship by then and will be getting a US passport. Seeing as I am doing a one way trip back, possibly March, I am wondering if I can leave renewing the UK one till I am back in the UK. Seeing as how it costs an arm and a leg to renew it over here in the US. What do you all think? As to senior benefits, is that true? Free bus pass at age 60?? the UK rocks!!!
Legally, a British citizen is required to use a British passport when entering or exiting the u.k.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 12:45 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
OK, maybe those in the know can use (edit) this post to insert any details or additional benefits for oldies but goldies in the UK. Mostly I'm not sure what age some of these things are available.

Free bus pass (at what age?) 60

Free prescriptions (at what age?) 60

Twice the personal income tax allowance (at what age?)It goes up at 65, don't think it's by twice as much though

Winter heating allowance (how much, what age, is it means-tested?) £200 per household, the September after you are 60, not means-tested

No council tax (am I correct in thinking this? At what age?) Not true, sorry, unless you qualify under the means test, although there is a 25% reduction for single occupancy - this bit applies at any age

Any other benefits (age-related) I'm not thinking of? Or other social care, etc., that may be relevant to the oldies but goldies (and middlies but ... can't think of a rhyme)?
Free eye tests and prescriptions at 60 plus many shops have discounts for over 60's , worth asking

Don't know if anyone else has answered this, as haven't read the whole thread.

We have lived five years in Spain, have just started spending half-and-half UK/Spain. I am now UK resident. I get my State Pension in January. Husband is 60.

Last edited by scampicat; Sep 12th 2009 at 12:54 pm.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 3:47 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I think HSBC has an international Current account/checking account, worth a try.
Not international, but multinational. We now have HSBC accounts in Canada and the UK, and could have others if we wanted. We set up our UK one about a year ago and we've used it and had absolutely no problems. Our English bank account was there when we arrived, and we'd put money into it. We arrived with UK credit and debit cards, and cheque book. Have used all without a hitch.

Bev
Old Sep 12th 2009, 4:04 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 37100
Legally, a British citizen is required to use a British passport when entering or exiting the u.k.
I would double check that. I have two passports and have not had any problem entering on either. However you may find the visa you need to re-enter UK on a US passport will cost as much as the extra expense of renewing your UK passport from there, and of course you can't use the EU passport holders queue which moves a lot quicker than the one for those pesky foreigners!!.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 4:11 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm
Not international, but multinational. We now have HSBC accounts in Canada and the UK, and could have others if we wanted. We set up our UK one about a year ago and we've used it and had absolutely no problems. Our English bank account was there when we arrived, and we'd put money into it. We arrived with UK credit and debit cards, and cheque book. Have used all without a hitch.

Bev
So do they let you transfer money between then without charges?
Old Sep 12th 2009, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

I will be going back to UK permanently one day but not in immediate future. I will though be coming back to UK next summer for 1-3 months. I usually travel on my US passport though do have expired British passport. If next year I wanted to just take both passports but use my UK passport to enter and exit UK would that be okay? For some reason always seemed scared to use my UK passport when reside in US..
Old Sep 12th 2009, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Auldyin; Yes, we have paid into the system here between the both of us over 70 years and will be getting our pensions from Canada. We do not plan to "SPONGE " of the system in the UK. The point that I was making, that seemed to have eluded you, was that I was tired of people asking us why we were moving back to UK, now I can list the good things that the country offers it's citizens.

I plan to work for at least 10 to 15 years before retiring, and plan to contribute to the community that I live in as we have done here. Your suspicions are completely untrue and we take strong offence to them!!!!

As for the reader who mentioned that there is no prescription fee, this is not completely true, there are many drugs that are not covered by this plan. I have worked in an Emergency Department in a Trauma 1 hospital in a large city for many years before moving to the Island. I saw with my own eyes the results of seniors not being able to afford their meds.

It was my belief that this forum was to assist people who are thinking or have moved back to the UK, not to critisize or surmise why they are moving.

From your previous posts I believe you said you have lived in Canada for 44 years, so presumably have paid all your taxes here and none in the UK. You now plan to go back to the UK and are pleased you can tell Canadians that you'll get free prescriptions, free bus passes, council tax reduction and a heating allowance. If I had lived in the UK all my life and read your post I would be livid that you can return and receive such benefits without contributing a singe penny into the UK Government coffers. I would perceive you as nothing but a sponger. If you are returning only because that's where you want to live out your life, that I can fully understand, but given your comments, I do somehow suspect your true motives.
[/QUOTE]

Peggie, I agree entirely with your last sentence. What is the point of having this site if we are going to criticize other posters? As to Auldyin and the attention seeking and controlling 'red' post - Until you have walked in another's shoes, and this is scientifically impossible to do on any level except purely physical, no one can say what they might do in any given situation. In any case, surely we are not just citizens of a particular country, we are also world citizens, and, therefore, it is of no real significance where we make our contributions to society. Having a paid job is not the only way to give back in this lifetime, what about those who volunteer their time, knowledge, and wisdom, well into their latter years? Just because someone has now become of pensionable age and chooses to reside in a different country from that in which he had a paying job, does not make him a useless member of society in that country. Are mothers and fathers who give up or never have any financially successful career, in order to raise their children to be good leaders and protectors of the future, not entitled to get something back no matter where they now live? I didn't know there was a rule book to adhere to detailing when, where and how we are to give and when, where and how we are allowed to take. Tell me where to find this, I shall run out and get a copy before I make any more decisions in my life.......
Old Sep 12th 2009, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Aes1:
Thank you! I found his comments very hurtful, and full of untruths As you say, you should never be critical until you have walked in someone elses shoes. You have always the right to give your opinion on any post, but it should be a general opinion not putting anyone or there lifestyles down. I am glad that he has found that Canada is a wonderful country and I have never said that it was not. I have 4 children and 9 grandchildren who are Canadian by birth, (all are well educated and productive citizens). I would never put down their homeland as this is discourtious to them and the country of their birth. My experience here has been different than theirs and obviously that of Auld yin, so therefore my outlook of Canada is different.

Peggie, I agree entirely with your last sentence. What is the point of having this site if we are going to criticize other posters? As to Auldyin and the attention seeking and controlling 'red' post - Until you have walked in another's shoes, and this is scientifically impossible to do on any level except purely physical, no one can say what they might do in any given situation. In any case, surely we are not just citizens of a particular country, we are also world citizens, and, therefore, it is of no real significance where we make our contributions to society. Having a paid job is not the only way to give back in this lifetime, what about those who volunteer their time, knowledge, and wisdom, well into their latter years? Just because someone has now become of pensionable age and chooses to reside in a different country from that in which he had a paying job, does not make him a useless member of society in that country. Are mothers and fathers who give up or never have any financially successful career, in order to raise their children to be good leaders and protectors of the future, not entitled to get something back no matter where they now live? I didn't know there was a rule book to adhere to detailing when, where and how we are to give and when, where and how we are allowed to take. Tell me where to find this, I shall run out and get a copy before I make any more decisions in my life.......[/QUOTE]
Old Sep 12th 2009, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Yes I agree...Where did Dude come from?

I for one do not wish to see this lovely thread spoiled by sour grapes...

Canada has not been as gracious to the working person as HRM,. in fact penny-pinching at every turn in favour of prestigous architectural projects to showcase to the world...masking itself as a 1st world nation.

Those that are arrinving here now newly from UK will travel along the same road as we...empty your pockets or you will have them emptied for you ...many of these ones will also return

Canada is great if you arrive ready for work with a strong back, good support/ family a thick skin, ready to do a cleaning job when the rug gets pulled out and flowery financial portfolio.

England has plenty to offer to returnees and who best to accept her grace than her very own sons and daughters born and bred

Or maybe Auldyin sees it better in the hands recent influx opportunists?
Old Sep 12th 2009, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

alba1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am still undecided as to my move home. I thought I had made up my mind
but frankly some of the posts I have seen worry me. I am planning on returning with very limited funds but will not be receiving benefits only a extremely small basic pension and my US pension. I would be starting from scratch, making friends etc. and don't want to encounter any problems from
small minded people who jump to conclusions. How prevalent is this type of thinking?

Last edited by alba1; Sep 12th 2009 at 8:32 pm. Reason: spelling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.