Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 20th 2010, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Congratulations Wawa. Now you can become a Mountie
Old Dec 20th 2010, 7:33 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wawa
The judge was delightful and extremely chatty - he said that becoming a Canadian citizen is like getting married - in that you never ever stop loving your mother! Of course that made me feel so much better.

Sal, I am pleased to report the cassette has gone replaced by DVD's and electronic screens. Afterwards everyone was congratulating each other and having their photos taken with the judge. When I got back to work my office had been plastered with Canadian flags. Cute...
It's a lovely ceremony isn't it? We went through it fully expecting to stay there for life, but then my company asked me to move again and so off we went to the US. Congratulations!!

High Tide, how lovely to hear from you. I know the perfect B&B is out there somewhere for you and it will just take a little time.

Rodney what a treat to hear from you also! And your mum is so right about the smoking but you know that now you've seen your sister. My dad died at 60 because of his years of smoking and it gave me the kick I needed to stop. I never thought I'd be able to do it, but I used the nicotine patches and actually, it was a piece of cake. The only hard part was when I forgot to put my patch on - then I was like a snarling terrier until my husband said 'did you forget your patch?'

I really wish you every success and don't forget - if you slip, forgive yourself and keep heading towards your goal. Don't let one slip be an excuse to give up on the whole endeavor. Good luck!

DDL, you are so right about Brits and TV. Last time I stayed at my mum's house, I couldn't believe that after our tea, we all just sat down and watched TV all night. It was like the Royle family only in a nicer house and with wine instead of tea

Last edited by sallysimmons; Dec 20th 2010 at 7:36 pm.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Originally Posted by cheers
Congratulations Wawa. Now you can become a Mountie
Old Dec 20th 2010, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DDL
I've always felt that people in the UK are much bigger television watchers than in the US. People here are really into their telly, the stars, etc.

I've always believed that some of that is down to the fact that at night there's nothing else to do ... shops are closed, etc., whereas in the States everything stays open so late, many even 24 hours.

I mean, when people plan their Christmas Day plans around the Christmas specials that are on telly, that really proves my point!

Television watching is an art form here. I say this with tongue firmly implanted in cheek.
I grew up being taught it was very bad manners to leave the TV on when we had visitors .

I have yet to visit an American home where it is not left on for "something in the background "

My DH is an American ,he still can't see why it does not sit easily with me when he leaves the TV on when we have friends over lol

I do not mean anything spiteful by this ...just an observation
Old Dec 20th 2010, 8:02 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DDL
Television watching is an art form here. I say this with tongue firmly implanted in cheek.
to the extent that the licensing authorities find it difficult to believe that anyone would not watch TV... despite notifying them by phone and online that we do not need a license because we do not watch etc live transmissions we continue to receive reminders from our friendly enforcement team.
(letter attached if it works)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
licence reminder.pdf (428.8 KB, 407 views)
Old Dec 20th 2010, 8:25 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DDL
Great Expectations, Copperfield, Oliver Twist, and Pickwick all make an appearance and the highlights include London's finest Georgian alleyway and the sole surviving piece of Victorian underworld. A very special walk, not least because there is no traffic that day and we have the streets to ourselves.
[/INDENT]
DDL, Sound like another great walking day in London.

Coincidentally I just finished a book, a fictional novel woven around the end of Dickens life, and the Mystery of Edwin Drood, titled "The Last Dickens" by Mathew Pearl, pub Vintage Books. It was very enjoyable and written in depth with many historical facts.
I am thoroughly enjoying the range of fiction available from my local, and rather small, public library. It is a great resource, maps, bus timetables, walking route pamphlets.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 8:27 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
I grew up being taught it was very bad manners to leave the TV on when we had visitors . I have yet to visit an American home where it is not left on for "something in the background " My DH is an American ,he still can't see why it does not sit easily with me when he leaves the TV on when we have friends over lol I do not mean anything spiteful by this ...just an observation
Every British home I've been in over here has had the tv left on!
Old Dec 20th 2010, 8:31 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by J.J
to the extent that the licensing authorities find it difficult to believe that anyone would not watch TV... despite notifying them by phone and online that we do not need a license because we do not watch etc live transmissions we continue to receive reminders from our friendly enforcement team. (letter attached if it works)
The pdf opened fine. Wow, you know I hadn't thought about this aspect. Interesting, JJ. Thanks for sharing.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 8:34 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Quick update before I run off to get ready for work..............

Latest update from Rosie/Islandwoman

Still here in snowy Somerset - another snow storm is here. Library closing due to no heat! Will try again tomorrow. All the best to the rest and yourself, Rosie
Old Dec 20th 2010, 8:42 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DDL
Oh here too, MIL has hers on continuously even when she phones us and then can't hear what we say cos it's too loud, BIL had his on when we went to his house to meet his girlfriend and her dau and everyone was watching with one eye and would sprinkle the conversation with comments about the program as if the TV was another person there in the conversation. Similar for a long lost friend we visited after 40 years apart.

I was always impressed in USA with people in bars that could hold a conversation and watch 3 sports channels at the same time, pausing in time to cheer a goal / basket - the folks here in UK are similarly impressive and skilled in their watching abilities.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DDL

Interesting ...

Must just be the Americans I have met then,

And MY family members in the UK perhaps ?
Old Dec 20th 2010, 9:02 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

My family would always turn the TV off when guests came - it's just that when I'm staying at mum's, I'm not a guest. I'm part of the family. Therefore, I have to sit on the sofa - in a row - and watch TV

At one point, "Later With Joolz Holland" came on and I thought for sure that my 69 year-old mum and her 65 year-old partner would turn it off, but no! They sat through the whole thing, even the Arctic Monkeys!
Old Dec 20th 2010, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

Tanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wawa
Hi everyone. Today I had my Canadian Citizenship ceremony in Toronto. There were 106 of us from all corners of the globe - it took 3 hours from start to finish as we all received our certificates and citizenship cards at the same time. Some people went straight off to the passport office! Actually it was lovely, light snow outside gave a festive atmosphere to the proceedings. The judge was delightful and extremely chatty - he said that becoming a Canadian citizen is like getting married - in that you never ever stop loving your mother! Of course that made me feel so much better.

Sal, I am pleased to report the cassette has gone replaced by DVD's and electronic screens. Afterwards everyone was congratulating each other and having their photos taken with the judge. When I got back to work my office had been plastered with Canadian flags. Cute...
Congratulations Wawa!! Sounds like a very special experience. Lovely and thoughtful of your office to continue the celebration too......
Tanto
Old Dec 20th 2010, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
My family would always turn the TV off when guests came - it's just that when I'm staying at mum's, I'm not a guest. I'm part of the family. Therefore, I have to sit on the sofa - in a row - and watch TV

At one point, "Later With Joolz Holland" came on and I thought for sure that my 69 year-old mum and her 65 year-old partner would turn it off, but no! They sat through the whole thing, even the Arctic Monkeys!
LOL too
Old Dec 20th 2010, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Tanto
Hello Denise 2,
I am interested in starting a 'safe house' for returning ex-pats!!
This subject did come up many months ago and got as far as me asking where it should be (close to an airport). I then spent many hours looking at property for sale......it somehow all fizzled out with other issues coming up. Still, the need is there - somewhere to stay until one is settled and advice and support, etc., etc. I let my imagination wander and think of an Agatha Christie type setting - country house with grounds or such, don't laugh! It all needs some careful consideration and planning.
Is there a way to continue this conversation without hyjacking the thread, or are others interested too?
Tanto
Count me in, I think it's a great idea.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.