Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 19th 2010, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by trottytrue
This should bring a smile to your faces.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4_EdJ-XkUA
Ha ha ha!! I love this, TT Thank you!
Old Dec 19th 2010, 11:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Its OK Bluenose your not a spoilsport, you are just giving us your opinion, and that's fine, if you were living here living under our circumstances you might see it differently.

I took citizenship 16 years ago, I was the last person in my family to do so, I had no idea what the oath entailed at that time, nobody had told me and I never thought to ask the question, after taking the test and waiting about 18 months to be called for swearing in I just did what was needed, I did not care for some parts of the oath, but at that point I had little choice in the matter, it was a split second decision, Yes I could have said no and walked away, but I didn't, and Yes I felt bad renouncing the UK, it really hurt, I felt like a traitor.

When I came here I was 19 years old, at that time I had to sign to agree and fight in a war if called to do so, but my sister a year younger didn't, it was sign or I wouldn't be allowed to come here with my family and have resident alien status (Green card), not bad for a country that doesn't like to discriminate, dont missunderstand me, I wouldn't want me sister to fight in a war, its just the principal.

I wonder how guys my age do in 2010, do they have to sign up for war? and what if they say they are Gay, would they be allowed to sign up or would they not be allowed in to this country, I've not really thought this out, these are just issues that come to mind knowing how this country is today with Don't Ask Don't Tell, sorry I'm rambling.

To vote here you have to be a U.S. Citizen, if you are an immigrant you have to be able to read and understand English in order to become a US Citizen, so why are election rules and regulations printed in 41 different languages, Id love an answer if anyone knows.

Let me add that I knew before swearing in that in the eyes of America I would be a citizen of America Only, in the UK they allow you to become Duals but not here.

Thanks Guys
Hi F&C sorry but I am getting a little confused.... am I not right in the suggestion that when you go to live in another country, you go there to accept their way of life or why did you leave in the first place???? I know why I left, and although I will always love my birth country I will also have allegience to the country that accepted me and gave me at the time what I was looking for. I am getting a little annoyed at some of the posts on here from people that chose to go to another country, get a good life from that country and then rubbish it and not want to take allegiance to it....WHY I for one was so glad to leavd my country when I did, I was so glad to have the opportunity to just live a normal life for me and my kids, I will always be grateful to Canada for that
Old Dec 19th 2010, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Its OK Bluenose your not a spoilsport, you are just giving us your opinion, and that's fine, if you were living here living under our circumstances you might see it differently.

I took citizenship 16 years ago, I was the last person in my family to do so, I had no idea what the oath entailed at that time, nobody had told me and I never thought to ask the question, after taking the test and waiting about 18 months to be called for swearing in I just did what was needed, I did not care for some parts of the oath, but at that point I had little choice in the matter, it was a split second decision, Yes I could have said no and walked away, but I didn't, and Yes I felt bad renouncing the UK, it really hurt, I felt like a traitor.

When I came here I was 19 years old, at that time I had to sign to agree and fight in a war if called to do so, but my sister a year younger didn't, it was sign or I wouldn't be allowed to come here with my family and have resident alien status (Green card), not bad for a country that doesn't like to discriminate, dont missunderstand me, I wouldn't want me sister to fight in a war, its just the principal.

I wonder how guys my age do in 2010, do they have to sign up for war? and what if they say they are Gay, would they be allowed to sign up or would they not be allowed in to this country, I've not really thought this out, these are just issues that come to mind knowing how this country is today with Don't Ask Don't Tell, sorry I'm rambling.

To vote here you have to be a U.S. Citizen, if you are an immigrant you have to be able to read and understand English in order to become a US Citizen, so why are election rules and regulations printed in 41 different languages, Id love an answer if anyone knows.

Let me add that I knew before swearing in that in the eyes of America I would be a citizen of America Only, in the UK they allow you to become Duals but not here.

Thanks Guys
FnC - I understand. I was also young when I arrived here. I was 23 years old and my parents moved here. I didn't want to remain in the UK with no relatives there whatsoever but I didn't want to leave it either. I was very sad when I came here. To fill the void inside, I engulfed myself in a career for many, many years. After the job had gone, I realized it didn't fill the void at all. I had merely "busied" myself. Becoming a citizen went with the job. Now that I am older, read every word and ask lots of questions, I kick myself for not having the foresight to question things more and for not having the courage at a far younger age to go back to the UK. Oh well, I can't turn back the clock. I can just make better choices for the future - for myself, that is.

Last edited by windsong; Dec 19th 2010 at 11:54 pm.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
I agree totally! I hate that oath. It was so depressed the day I took citizenship - had to for my job. If there was anything written that said I would have had to give up my UK passport, job or no job, I would have walked out. I know where my loyalties lie - always have.

I can't honestly remember if the words were the same when I took the oath but I know it was a sad day for me.
windsong, i really need to ask the question.... how long have you been away from the UK, and why have you stayed away? seems you hate the USA so shy stay there???? Just asking Denise 2
Old Dec 20th 2010, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

No.
so you are saying ig you had the same health care in USA you nwould'nt come back to the UK
Old Dec 20th 2010, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

all i am saying is Canada gave me a lovley life, I will always remember it with fondness and appreciation. I am really glad to be back home as I left everything too late for North America, but is not to say I will rubbish it. I really wanted a true picture of how many of you would come back to the UK if you had free medicl care in the USA and so far the forum is really quiet on the subject????? As I said before I personally would have loved to have the opporunity to have lived in the USA and probably would be looking to cfome home like you all regarding the healthcare system, but would love to hear your views. Thanks Denise2
Old Dec 20th 2010, 12:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Well, I don't know how long you've been away from the UK, but here in the London area, Christmas stuff was already being put out in the shops in early November.
It's nothing to do with the shops being full of Christmas stuff from November (or earlier) - that has been the case for many years. It is the actual celebrating of the holiday that is so different between the two countries. As you can see in the UK there are many Christmas Special's on over the actual Christmas period from Dec 24th (and some in the week runup) until just after New Year. Here in the US it is specials sporadically from Thanksgiving until Christmas Day and then that's it - it's done.

Maybe I'm not explaining it very well - I just am aware of a different feeling in regards to Christmas over in the US from being in the UK.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I don't dislike the US but I think I would like living in the UK more. Time will see.

I remember a friend of mine couldn't stand the US after being here 18 months so she went back to Wales. She was there two months and she was back here. Why? Things had changed back there she said. (I may be off on the time periods.It was a long time ago) My mother was the same way. Came to the land of opportunity and went back after 12 months. Came back to the US 5 years later stayed 12 months went back. Then she wanted to come back to the US again but circumstances changed so she had to stay in the UK until she died.

We are all different.

I know people who have moved back to the UK and love it. So to each his own.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

D2,

I don't pay anything for medical in the US so that isn't an issue but the US doesn't have farms, green hills and countryside and weather like the UK.

After some of you mentioned the Royel Family I watched it. Didn't like it one bit. More trash vision!

I love Dr Martin, Faulty Towers and some of Roland Atkinsons, Mr Bean comedies. I can't get a handle on Coronation Street.

What was the question???
Old Dec 20th 2010, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DDL
The Patrick Stewart version of "A Christmas Carol" is on telly right now. It's Christmas dinner and the goose has been eaten, and a lighted Christmas pudding was just brought to the table.
1) Have any of you ever had goose at Christmas? Is it tasty? Better than turkey?
2) What about Christmas pudding? I'm not even a fan of Christmas Cake (although I'm trying!) but once or twice have tried expensive brands of Christmas Pudding but really, really did not like it. Any Christmas Pudding fans here?
Denise, Yes Goose is beautiful, but you have to remove as much fat as possible - or the cholesterol would be killing! (more expensive than buying a turkey) And Christmas pudding, is usually fired, by pouring brandy over it, then lighting it. They do serve it with white brandy Sauce, but I prefer it with custard.

dontheturner.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
D2,

I don't pay anything for medical in the US so that isn't an issue but the US doesn't have farms, green hills and countryside and weather like the UK.

After some of you mentioned the Royel Family I watched it. Didn't like it one bit. More trash vision!

I love Dr Martin, Faulty Towers and some of Roland Atkinsons, Mr Bean comedies. I can't get a handle on Coronation Street.

What was the question???
Love all those things, Cheers Who is Dr. Martin, though?

LOVE Corrie St. I am addicted to that, I think.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 1:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dgjamison
so you are saying ig you had the same health care in USA you nwould'nt come back to the UK
I am saying I would still return to the UK regardless of healthcare in the US
Old Dec 20th 2010, 1:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I really never liked Christmas pudding. Every year my nan would make it (we always had Christmas at her house) and every year we'd all try and eat it, but most of it would get left.

Christmas cake though ... LOVE it! But to really enjoy it, you need a decent slab of crumbly white cheese on top. Wensleydale is best although Cheshire works too.

Love Christmas Pudding (in moderation) , Christmas Cake (in moderation) and Mincepies (lots and lots ). My Mother use to make all these over the half term holiday in October - soaking the fruits in alcohol before it went in puddings, cakes and mincemeat and then sporadically pouring alcohol into the puddings and cakes over the period running up the Christmas to give us a really rich but moist cake and pudding - very yummy. It use to take a full day to make all the cakes, puddings and mincemeat as family members had "put in their order" but it was fun
Old Dec 20th 2010, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Love all those things, Cheers Who is Dr. Martin, though?

LOVE Corrie St. I am addicted to that, I think.
It has been on the "B" for the last few years and is now on the PBS stations over here. It was on last night in our area. You would love it. Go on YouTube and type in Doctor Martin and you can view lots of episodes. Tip. right down the series number and episode so you see the same thing again.
B is an acronim for BBC
Old Dec 20th 2010, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
It has been on the "B" for the last few years and is now on the PBS stations over here. It was on last night in our area. You would love it. Go on YouTube and type in Doctor Martin and you can view lots of episodes. Tip. right down the series number and episode so you see the same thing again.
B is an acronim for BBC
Thanks, Cheers. I will go and do that

Cheers, I found some that say "Doc Martin". Is this it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_bQtLpBjyM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.