Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 19th 2010, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by DDL
Wow. I am speechless.

Might be a good idea for you to check the USCIS website about the procedure to renounce your U.S. citizenship. I am guessing this will be a priority on your "To Do" list before you move back to the UK.
I am sorry Windsong that you feel that way, I simple don't believe that an taking an oath for any reason other than your loyalty to the country that you have adopted is wrong. I have always had strong thoughts on my homeland, but if war was to break out, I would expect that my sons would be called up to help protect Canada, and how could I say that I hated the country when they were putting their lives in danger for their homeland. I am sure many people will dislike what I have said but we all have our thoughts.

I really don't understand why you hate the US so much, I have not had a great life in Canada but I don't hate the country just some of the people I have had the misfortune to meet along the way.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Got to ask, who is the Royle family? haha again I thought it was a mispelling of the Royal and you meant The queens speech.......Oh dear and I havent had a drink either..........
WOW they have cancelled the Lincoln Christmas Market for the first time in 28 years because of the weather, they are really getting pounded over there...
Old Dec 19th 2010, 6:03 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Got to ask, who is the Royle family? haha again I thought it was a mispelling of the Royal and you meant The queens speech.......Oh dear and I havent had a drink either..........

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/theroylefamily/
Old Dec 19th 2010, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

ED...Love the Christmas Story, especially were they are in the chinese restaurant and the waiters are singing and couldnt say their 'R's. Love it. Also White Christmas and It's a Wonderful Like. But my favourite has to be 'Christmas Carol', with Alaister Sim as Scrooge. Bought the DVD and watch it every year with my Baileys Irish Cream

DDL...You really made me laugh no wonder you became an atheist after having all that religion thrown at you. Its like eating to many chocolates makes you sick if you eat too much
Old Dec 19th 2010, 6:13 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by trottytrue
DDL...You really made me laugh no wonder you became an atheist after having all that religion thrown at you. Its like eating to many chocolates makes you sick if you eat too much
ha ha It's certainly easier being an atheist in this country than it is in the U.S.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 6:29 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL

Speaking of the Pogues have you seen Shane's latest? "Little Drummer Boy" with The 3 Priests http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLSMGsvLMPo
Wow, he is in such terrible shape. No surprise with the way he's lived his life. But I did like that. Thanks for sharing. His voice contrasted with the priests was really cool - I just closed my eyes and that made it better

charleygirl, there's lots of Royle Family on Youtube. I think you would love it. They are a northern working class family living in a terraced house. They rarely do anything except sit on the sofa, smoke and watch TV.

Here's part one of the first episode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hXZ8gak2ak

Last edited by sallysimmons; Dec 19th 2010 at 6:35 pm.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 6:40 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
I was never a big fan of the Christmas specials on American telly, but I don't think you can beat our classic Christmas films like "White Christmas", It's a Wonderful Life", "The Bishop's Wife" (one of my all-time favourites), and "A Christmas Story" (brilliant - the one with 'Ralphie' and his Red Ryder BB gun).

I also adore "The Polar Express", mainly because my grandfather was a Conductor for the Burlington Railroad out of Chicago and I have such fond memories of riding on the train with him.

There's so many more I like that are connected with my childhood. I've been on YouTube lately watching them. Makes me all warm and cuddly feeling inside.

It's Sunday afternoon and we're sat around the telly right now watching "Noddy's 50 Best Xmas Songs". Really enjoying this, and I'm seeing loads of songs I've never heard of before!
I ABSOLUTELY love that film A Christmas Story Denise, it really is a brilliant film with Ralphie and his BB gun, we used to get this out on video every Christmas and watch it with the kids. I must remind my daughter about this film, maybe we can get it on DVD.

When you say Noddy's 50 best Xmas song, I take it you mean Noddy Holder from Slade not the puppet with Mr Plod which is what I thought at first LOL!!
Old Dec 19th 2010, 6:42 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Oh I love Noddy Holder!

Agreed about the films - they're great.

Is their a Royle Family Christmas special this year?
Wow I spent Saturday morning you tubing for 4 hours, ended up watching all these Red Nose and Comic Relief specials and one was The Royle Family which got me to surfing about them and yes they are supposed to have a special this year..........what did you have for your tea Denise?
Old Dec 19th 2010, 6:48 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
DDL, Thanks for the TV information. I really didn't expect a Royle Family this year, but it's fantastic to know it will be on.

We can usually find it online a few hours after it's shown there, which means it will be our Christmas Day evening viewing too. I so love that family, although I miss nan now she's gone.

I hope one of the Top 50 songs was Fairytale in New York by the Pogues. That's my #1 of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwHyuraau4Q

RIP, Kirsty Maccoll

Edited: I just noticed this video has a Noddy Holder logo in the top corner so he must have been doing this show for a while!
Wow I am so behind on posts, it looks like I am doubling up on what others have said, well what the heck I don't care LOL!!

Oh Sally I have only watched the DVD twice I think with Nan dying, I cry my eyes out every time, she and Jim used to have such great lines.

If you go to Smooth FM they were doing a Kirsty MacColl special yesterday but I think it is repeating:

http://www.smoothradionorthwest.co.u...live/f98sdy80/
Old Dec 19th 2010, 7:04 pm
Home Sweet Home

I do love the radio in the UK at Christmas time too, where they play Christmas songs amongst the usual music in the lead up to Christmas, they don't seem to do that here in Australia for some reason, or maybe I just haven't found the right station.

One year my (ex) husband and I went to the UK for Christmas and arrived into Heathrow on Christmas morning, it was about 1990 and as you know the whole country comes to a halt, no public transport whatsoever. It was the only standby flight I could get (staff discount) so I had arranged it with my sister for a car hire and we picked it up and drove up North. The radio was playing all the Christmas hits on Radio 1 all the way home.

It was like a fantastic surprise from a movie when we knocked at the door of my mums, everybody was there for Christmas dinner and nobody except one sister knew we were coming. What a great day we all had.

Has anybody else got their own happy version of "A Christmas Story" to share?

Last edited by Beedubya; Dec 19th 2010 at 7:07 pm.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 7:08 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by Beedubya
What did you have for your tea Denise?
I've not eaten anything but toast for the past 2 days as I came home from Devon with a bad chest infection and am on antibiotics. No appetite at all. Just tea and toast. I'm doing better today though and am actually feeling ready for some real food.

I can't wait until we get our own place. I miss cooking and baking, especially this time of year. Between Delia Smith's and the BBC Good Food Magazine websites, I've already accumulated loads of recipes I want to try!
Old Dec 19th 2010, 7:15 pm
DDL

The Patrick Stewart version of "A Christmas Carol" is on telly right now. It's Christmas dinner and the goose has been eaten, and a lighted Christmas pudding was just brought to the table.

1) Have any of you ever had goose at Christmas? Is it tasty? Better than turkey?

2) What about Christmas pudding? I'm not even a fan of Christmas Cake (although I'm trying!) but once or twice have tried expensive brands of Christmas Pudding but really, really did not like it. Any Christmas Pudding fans here?
Old Dec 19th 2010, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
The Patrick Stewart version of "A Christmas Carol" is on telly right now. It's Christmas dinner and the goose has been eaten, and a lighted Christmas pudding was just brought to the table.

1) Have any of you ever had goose at Christmas? Is it tasty? Better than turkey?

2) What about Christmas pudding? I'm not even a fan of Christmas Cake (although I'm trying!) but once or twice have tried expensive brands of Christmas Pudding but really, really did not like it. Any Christmas Pudding fans here?
Goose is good, can be a little greasy tho..
Old Dec 19th 2010, 7:41 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by DDL

1) Never tried goose only duck or turkey, not a huge fan of either to be honest.

2) I like a teeny teeny teeny sliver of Christmas pudding as it is so rich. I do love Christmas cake though with marzipan and icing.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 8:00 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by DDL
I've not eaten anything but toast for the past 2 days as I came home from Devon with a bad chest infection and am on antibiotics. No appetite at all. Just tea and toast. I'm doing better today though and am actually feeling ready for some real food.

I can't wait until we get our own place. I miss cooking and baking, especially this time of year. Between Delia Smith's and the BBC Good Food Magazine websites, I've already accumulated loads of recipes I want to try!
Ah Denise, you have never watched The Royle Family? The name of the daughter is Denise and the mum is Barb.

If you watch it you will get what I meant. I am not sure though you being American will get that Northern Brit sense of humour, it sound ridiculous but the whole show centres around a family sitting in front of the TV, drinking cups of tea and smoking.........

Sorry you are not feeling so good, but tea and toast is a good diet.

Talking about getting your own place have you put your name down for any of the Sheltered housing schemes yet? There are an awful lot to choose from and they all seem to be about £80 to £100 per week with water rates, hot water and heating thrown in!!

I am dithering about a bit about putting my name down as obviously I need to know more about this job offer and I also need to be there to suss out the areas in person, a bit like Rosie did, a kind of reccie. And probably like you I am a "young at heart" person in my 50's and am nowhere near ready for retirement, in fact I think I am the type who will work until it is no longer feasible.

When I managed that development in Somerset although it was for over 60's I think it was, the average age would have been 75+ and this is putting me off a bit to be honest, nothing against our more senior subscribers to this thread.......no offence intended. There were a few people who worked in that development but I noticed they had very little to do with the other residents by choice. Then again I cannot base my whole findings on one development.....

So although on principle it looks great and really is a cheaper way of living, I am not sure if I am quite ready yet...........have you and your husband done any serious investigating?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.