Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 18th 2010, 10:46 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by charleygirl
When I took the test I was told that I would be expected to not use the passport of my birth country but there is no written law against it.
Oh really? I had no idea about that. I always use my UK passport when I get home to save me the hassle of waiting in the longer line. And then on the way back I use my US passport. Yikes!

I'm going back in Spring. If I go missing, someone check Gitmo.

DDL, glad you don't have to go out. My in-laws are in Southport, which is generally milder than most of the north, but they got 16 inches of snow today!
Old Dec 18th 2010, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes he said that to me, but he was kind of chatting more than telling me, if you know what i mean.
He was a very friendly guy! And not scary at all like the many Immigration officers we have dealt with over the years....... I honestly thought we could be dual and that was that, of course many that come here dont want to go back to their country of birth I think
Old Dec 18th 2010, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes he said that to me, but he was kind of chatting more than telling me, if you know what i mean.
He was a very friendly guy! And not scary at all like the many Immigration officers we have dealt with over the years....... I honestly thought we could be dual and that was that, of course many that come here dont want to go back to their country of birth I think
http://www.richw.org/dualcit/faq.html#noway

"The official US State Department policy on dual citizenship today is that the United States does not favor it as a matter of policy because of various problems they feel it may cause, but the existence of dual citizenship is recognized (i.e., accepted) as a fact of life. That is, if you ask them if you ought to become a dual citizen, they will recommend against doing it; but if you tell them you are a dual citizen, they'll almost always say it's OK."
Old Dec 18th 2010, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
We've really been hammered with snow here in Greater London. Glad I don't have any travel plans.

Watched the "Strictly Come Dancing" final tonight. Can't believe how we've been glued to this programme every Saturday night for the past 3 months! Now we're looking forward to all the upcoming Christmas programmes, especially the Dr. Who Christmas special that will feature Michael Gambon.

And a big Thank You to those posters who stick to the subject of this thread.
Oh I'm jealous - real Christmas specials - no the ad-hoc ones the US TV stations/programs do - something to look forwards to next year You will have to let us know what your favourite ones are. My parents also watch Strictly Come Dancing and I hope it is still on next year so I can watch it with them
Old Dec 18th 2010, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.richw.org/dualcit/faq.html#noway

"The official US State Department policy on dual citizenship today is that the United States does not favor it as a matter of policy because of various problems they feel it may cause, but the existence of dual citizenship is recognized (i.e., accepted) as a fact of life. That is, if you ask them if you ought to become a dual citizen, they will recommend against doing it; but if you tell them you are a dual citizen, they'll almost always say it's OK."
I would imagine there is a difference, in the eyes of the State dept, between dual citizenship like my daughter has--American and English because she has a parent of each nationality--and dual citizenship like we immigrants have--our birth citizenship and then acqired US citizenship (if we have that).

But they do sound vague on the matter!

Nice of that friendly immigration guy to chat to you with info...we had a nice one too when I came back from France last week (or whenever it was, head whirling!) and he said to be careful not to be out of the country too long on my green card....six months at most is ideal, and not to make it more than eleven months.

I do wonder if there would be some leniency given to the fact that my green card is due to marriage with a USC and he will be working abroad on an expatriate assigment, so of course I will be out of the country along with him...

But who knows, one has to be careful.

Tina
Old Dec 18th 2010, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I have seen my families snowy pics on Facebook today Denise, looks like the whole country has copped it! I know it's cold and icy and dangerous for some people to go outside and all that, but it looks so beautiful from where I am sitting.

Oh yes the Brits do like to get into their TV programmes. I was RIGHT INTO the X factor when I was over there, I even phoned up to vote for my favourite and I have never done that before!! It's like the whole country gets behind a programme, can't explain it but let's put it this way I haven't even put my Aussie TV on for about 3 weeks now.

Yesterday I spent about 4 hours on youtube watching all these old Red Nose and Children in Need comedy specials, I can't wait to get into all that again.........and the snow.
Pretty, yes, but my kids and DH and I are are all landing, God willing, in England this Monday, for Christmas, coming from various points of the compass!! so please pray that the snow and ice are cleared up so we can land ok.....

Tina
Old Dec 19th 2010, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Oh Tina, they are all going to be there and you are not, or have I missed something.........sorry i get confused you're going to France right eventually for a while......

Oh sorry I see you are going to be, is that on the way to France or just visit for Christmas.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Oh Tina, they are all going to be there and you are not, or have I missed something.........sorry i get confused you're going to France right eventually for a while......

Oh sorry I see you are going to be, is that on the way to France or just visit for Christmas.
Thanks for caring, charleygirl!

It's all good (if chaotic and bewildering!); it's a visit for Christmas, grown kids who live elsewhere in US will also fly over and meet us in England. Grown daughter who lives in Paris will meet us in England too. Christmas all together in England with big family (lovely chaos!) mother, five siblings, their significant others and myriad children....

Then our "kids" return to US and Paris respectively, I am off to another city in France, DH returns to US for his visa and final work assignments stateside.
He joins me in France in mid-Jan, coming to an apartment which hopefully I will have managed to furnish by then!

I am nowhere near ready and packed to leave tomorrow afternoon!!!

HELP!

should really stop reading these posts...addiction at this point!

Merry Christmas to all.

Tina
Old Dec 19th 2010, 12:20 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds
I would imagine there is a difference, in the eyes of the State dept, between dual citizenship like my daughter has--American and English because she has a parent of each nationality--and dual citizenship like we immigrants have--our birth citizenship and then acqired US citizenship (if we have that).

But they do sound vague on the matter!

Nice of that friendly immigration guy to chat to you with info...we had a nice one too when I came back from France last week (or whenever it was, head whirling!) and he said to be careful not to be out of the country too long on my green card....six months at most is ideal, and not to make it more than eleven months.

I do wonder if there would be some leniency given to the fact that my green card is due to marriage with a USC and he will be working abroad on an expatriate assigment, so of course I will be out of the country along with him...

But who knows, one has to be careful.

Tina
I wouldn't take the chance even if you are married to a USC and on assignment. Theres a form you can fill out that gives you up to two years outside the US and the green card is still valid. I was gone 11mths and a week one time and the very pleasant immigration official said I was cutting that a bit fine and laughed, and said if I went for so long to get form whatever it was so I was covered.
But I ended up getting USC and left it at that.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 12:21 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty, yes, but my kids and DH and I are are all landing, God willing, in England this Monday, for Christmas, coming from various points of the compass!! so please pray that the snow and ice are cleared up so we can land ok.....

Tina
Sounds like you are in for one fabulous Christmas then Tina. All will be well, only the gentlest of snowflakes will be falling when you land and then when you get into the airport terminal it will be like that opening shot at Heathrow from "Love Actually."
Old Dec 19th 2010, 12:22 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for caring, charleygirl!

It's all good (if chaotic and bewildering!); it's a visit for Christmas, grown kids who live elsewhere in US will also fly over and meet us in England. Grown daughter who lives in Paris will meet us in England too. Christmas all together in England with big family (lovely chaos!) mother, five siblings, their significant others and myriad children....

Then our "kids" return to US and Paris respectively, I am off to another city in France, DH returns to US for his visa and final work assignments stateside.
He joins me in France in mid-Jan, coming to an apartment which hopefully I will have managed to furnish by then!

I am nowhere near ready and packed to leave tomorrow afternoon!!!

HELP!

should really stop reading these posts...addiction at this point!

Merry Christmas to all.

Tina
Wow I didn't realise you were so near to moving to France!!!!!!!

Shut down the computer now and get packing woman LOL!!
Old Dec 19th 2010, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Sounds like you are in for one fabulous Christmas then Tina. All will be well, only the gentlest of snowflakes will be falling when you land and then when you get into the airport terminal it will be like that opening shot at Heathrow from "Love Actually."
Oh thank you, I HOPE so!

Tina

(who should be packing)
Old Dec 19th 2010, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Wow I didn't realise you were so near to moving to France!!!!!!!

Shut down the computer now and get packing woman LOL!!
ok ok I hear you!!!! LOL great to have a cheering (Nagging??!!!) section...i need it!

tina
Old Dec 19th 2010, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Tina ..Dont need to tell you to have a good time from what you have said it sounds like a wonderful time. Enjoy it all and pop back and tell us how you feel about it all. France as well.

DDL...Could you give some information on how you think the UK approaches Christmas. By that I mean do they have trees up, sing carols in the shopping areas have lights up in the town. Do people Wish you a Merry Christmas. The food and TV programs tell us all about it. Just want to feast on it. When I get back I want to visit the Victoria and Albert Museum the Textile Collection it covers over 2,000 years. I dont know how much it cost to get it but I am planning on a weekend. My niece said she will come with me.

I went to a Mall here in NH and you would be hard pressed to find any Christmas trees in the Mall or decorations really nothing different apart from the shops wanting to lure you in to spend money. Also the Salvation Army collecting. I always have a dollar ready for each pot I see. But other than that its hard to tell its Christmas. Perhaps in other parts of the country its different.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 3:20 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Tina ..Dont need to tell you to have a good time from what you have said it sounds like a wonderful time. Enjoy it all and pop back and tell us how you feel about it all. France as well.

DDL...Could you give some information on how you think the UK approaches Christmas. By that I mean do they have trees up, sing carols in the shopping areas have lights up in the town. Do people Wish you a Merry Christmas. The food and TV programs tell us all about it. Just want to feast on it. When I get back I want to visit the Victoria and Albert Museum the Textile Collection it covers over 2,000 years. I dont know how much it cost to get it but I am planning on a weekend. My niece said she will come with me.

I went to a Mall here in NH and you would be hard pressed to find any Christmas trees in the Mall or decorations really nothing different apart from the shops wanting to lure you in to spend money. Also the Salvation Army collecting. I always have a dollar ready for each pot I see. But other than that its hard to tell its Christmas. Perhaps in other parts of the country its different.
I'm really surprised theres not a lot of trees and decorations in NH. Here they turned the mall into winter wonderland, all way over done with giant baubles hanging all over. Where we go theres a full size sleigh with Santa sitting in it for kids to get their pictures done. Christmas music the works

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.