Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 18th 2010, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by cheers
I don't think you are right. The US does allow dual nationality. It may have something to do with collecting taxes.
It allows it, it just doesnt recognize it........go figure..
Old Dec 18th 2010, 4:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I don't think you are right. The US does allow dual nationality. It may have something to do with collecting taxes.
Hello Cheers

I meant dual citizenship not dula nationality, when I went through my citizenship test I was told I couldnt hold dual citizenship while living in America, its been 15 years so it may have changed.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

I thought I would add some seasonal tone here. Pull up a chair and listen.

A few days ago my daughter called and said that she hoped we would have a tree for Christmas. I had thought I would not bother but decided not to disappoint anyone. So we bought one and a stand. A cheap stand but I thought only for one year. I had got rid of my good one during my garage sale

We put the tree up my hubby fitted it into the stand and I filled it with water, put the lights and ornaments on and stood back and admired my beautiful tree.

My hubby went to bed and I came on the computer which is in the next room. All of a sudden I heard a loud thud I ran thinking my hubby had fallen but no he was in bed. When I went into the living room there was the tree flat on its back ornaments all over the place , water everywhere.

Fixing it proved difficult. We put it back into the stand my hubby tightened the screws again and made sure it was straight. We stood back to look at it and while standing admiring it the dam thing started to ever so gently lean forward and fall again. We both made a dash for it and caught it before it fell. Hubby concluded that the cheap stand I had bought was not strong enough to hold the dam tree. So we put it back into the stand me lying on my belly water soaking me, the dog thinking I was playing was chewing on my socks and trying to pull them off. Having decided the stand would not be able to hold the tree in place we now have rope tide around the middle of the tree and tied to the curtain rail While I was trying to tie it to the rail I turned around and the dog had decided that the rope was a toy and was pulling on one end of it. She thought the whole thing was playtime. Racing around like a speeding bullet. Eyeing up the ornaments till I shouted at her.

It now looks like a very sad tree, leaning slightly towards the curtain rail branches broken and the tree skirt soaking in water. I can guarantee as soon as my son and daughter walk into the room they will ask why is the tree leaning and I will immediately obliterate them both.

I sit here with wet feet my nighties all wet and I am quite calm
Old Dec 18th 2010, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by trottytrue

A few days ago my daughter called and said that she hoped we would have a tree for Christmas. I had thought I would not bother but decided not to disappoint anyone. So we bought one and a stand. A cheap stand but I thought only for one year. I had got rid of my good one during my garage sale

We put the tree up my hubby fitted it into the stand and I filled it with water, put the lights and ornaments on and stood back and admired my beautiful tree.

My hubby went to bed and I came on the computer which is in the next room. All of a sudden I heard a loud thud I ran thinking my hubby had fallen but no he was in bed. When I went into the living room there was the tree flat on its back ornaments all over the place , water everywhere.

Fixing it proved difficult. We put it back into the stand my hubby tightened the screws again and made sure it was straight. We stood back to look at it and while standing admiring it the dam thing started to ever so gently lean forward and fall again. We both made a dash for it and caught it before it fell. Hubby concluded that the cheap stand I had bought was not strong enough to hold the dam tree. So we put it back into the stand me lying on my belly water soaking me, the dog thinking I was playing was chewing on my socks and trying to pull them off. Having decided the stand would not be able to hold the tree in place we now have rope tide around the middle of the tree and tied to the curtain rail While I was trying to tie it to the rail I turned around and the dog had decided that the rope was a toy and was pulling on one end of it. She thought the whole thing was playtime. Racing around like a speeding bullet. Eyeing up the ornaments till I shouted at her.

It now looks like a very sad tree, leaning slightly towards the curtain rail branches broken and the tree skirt soaking in water. I can guarantee as soon as my son and daughter walk into the room they will ask why is the tree leaning and I will immediately obliterate them both.

Take Care TT, Merry Christmas - all these things are sent to try us! love Don
Old Dec 18th 2010, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhhhhhhh Trotty, that was cute, but a pain for you, lets hope thay appreciate your efforts.
My brother in law used to secure his stand to the floor with long screws, that made us laugh too.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Ahhhhhhhh Trotty, that was cute, but a pain for you, lets hope thay appreciate your efforts.
My brother in law used to secure his stand to the floor with long screws, that made us laugh too.
If anyone looks at our tree, I fashioned one of those Wire Coat hangers, and have it securely around the shaft of the tree, and fastened to the Plate rack, which is around the lounge. - because the cat, used to run up the tree. don
Old Dec 18th 2010, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

TT thanks! funny to read, you are a great raconteur (raconteuse?) though not funny at the time! I know these tree struggles all to well. It's one of the reasons why we finally got an artificial tree tho i had sworn for years and years it would never happpen...another reason was one year's tree seemed to give us allergies.

I love the way there's no more wrestling to get the tree in the stand and stay there and lying on the floor adjusting the silly screws til the tree is straight, which it never is......

Tina
Old Dec 18th 2010, 12:33 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Yes I felt bad renouncing the UK, it really hurt, I felt like a traitor.
I guess what went through my mind was more 'you can make me say it but it's not true.' I don't mean just emotionally - I mean it's literally not true. You can't renounce another country just by saying words in a room, no matter how much Americans would like to think that's the case. Not emotionally and certainly not legally. If we wanted to truly renounce Britain there would be a whole process to go through and it would be administered by Brits, not by Americans.

So legally, the US does recognize dual citizenship - they have no choice in the matter. But they try to make you think that's not the case with that oath.

I've never been good with authority so swearing someone else's legally non-binding oath doesn't mean much to me one way or another.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 12:37 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Funny story TT!!

I gave up on a tree years ago because my husband has no Christmas spirit at all and there's no one else to see it. Plus the cats eat all the ornaments anyway so it's all a bit pointless. I miss it though. If we move home, we'll have a big-assed tree with all the trimmings
Old Dec 18th 2010, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

OMG I wish you could see it this morning. All the branches on one side are broken and we didnt think to turn it around so they would be at the back of the tree. So today I am going to adjust it and tweek it put the decorations back on it and then leave it. Allergies I think having my head stuck in the tree last night caused me to wake up choking. I usually wash the tree before I bring it in the house but hubby said not to bother

Charley girl...That will be fine just let me know what time we can decide were to go when we meet.

ED...Hows Mac doing. Keeping you busy.....

DDL..My favourite person is Charles Dickens. My hubby bought me a collection of his works years ago I still have them. I will make sure to take that walk when I come home.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I guess what went through my mind was more 'you can make me say it but it's not true.' I don't mean just emotionally - I mean it's literally not true. You can't renounce another country just by saying words in a room, no matter how much Americans would like to think that's the case. Not emotionally and certainly not legally. If we wanted to truly renounce Britain there would be a whole process to go through and it would be administered by Brits, not by Americans.

So legally, the US does recognize dual citizenship - they have no choice in the matter. But they try to make you think that's not the case with that oath.

I've never been good with authority so swearing someone else's legally non-binding oath doesn't mean much to me one way or another.
Very interesting point of view, Sally, (and expressed so well..goshdarnit, so many kindred spirits on this forum) and I've been mulling it...

You are right, we can't legallly renounce British citizenship without some sort of process.
But emotionally and in the intent of the wording, to swear that oath is certainly swearing to renounce all emotional and intentional allegiance to our former country (for us, the UK).

Problem is, if one has been brought up on stories of ancient Christian martyrs who would rather die than offer a token sprinkle of incense to the Roman gods...(which they could so easily have done, while mentally crossing their fingers behind their backs)....if one can't help but take seriously the oaths of "to tell the whole truth etc" in a courtroom, and the marriage vows whether in a registry office or a church...if one can't help but take seriously any spoken vow made before witnesses in public...and worst of all when an oath contains these words :
"and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."
as the US citizenship oath does......well, it gives me pause.

Obviously this citizenship thing isn't on a par with religious faith or marriage, but still...I can't help feeling that a spoken vow in public before witnesses is a serious issue.

But that's just me, and how i feel now.....

I appreciate all the different viewpoints.

Tina
Old Dec 18th 2010, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

OMG I wish you could see it this morning. All the branches on one side are broken and we didnt think to turn it around so they would be at the back of the tree. So today I am going to adjust it and tweek it put the decorations back on it and then leave it. Allergies I think having my head stuck in the tree last night caused me to wake up choking. I usually wash the tree before I bring it in the house but hubby said not to bother

Charley girl...That will be fine just let me know what time we can decide were to go when we meet.

ED...Hows Mac doing. Keeping you busy.....

DDL..My favourite person is Charles Dickens. My hubby bought me a collection of his works years ago I still have them. I will make sure to take that walk when I come home.

Trotty GO FAKE next year!
I always said, "over my dead body, I love the piney smell, Christmas wouldn't be Christmas with a fake tree, it's tacky and cheap and represents all I detest, etc etc etc;" but the struggles with countless stands, and above all the allergies (I never thought of WASHING the tree, yikes!) made me change my tune....what a JOY every year to haul up tree from basement, screw branches in (!!!!!!), and Bob's your uncle!!!

(We did get a special stylized kind of pine tree that was obviously not real, rather than trying to make it look as real as possible..seemed more honest, somehow!).

Tina
Old Dec 18th 2010, 4:36 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Soory that was hysterically funny, Gotta love the dog helping.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by between two worlds
TT thanks! funny to read, you are a great raconteur (raconteuse?) though not funny at the time! I know these tree struggles all to well. It's one of the reasons why we finally got an artificial tree tho i had sworn for years and years it would never happpen...another reason was one year's tree seemed to give us allergies.

I love the way there's no more wrestling to get the tree in the stand and stay there and lying on the floor adjusting the silly screws til the tree is straight, which it never is......

Tina
Oh Boy, Not You As Well...

We live in Christmas tree country, within a few miles of my home there has to be a million or more of them, we had a Christmas tree farm in our back yard until developers built homes.

We had real trees for years, my wife always wanted the perfect tree, we'd find it, chop it down and bring it home, it was always too tall, and getting it in that stand perfectly was always a challenge, Id sometimes give up and shim one corner with books.

We had a few different stands, some had screws in the side, my favorite was the one in which you had to drill a six inch hole in the trunk, if you didn't get it exactly right you'd have to cut off six inches and try again hahahaaa...

We'd have to get two tree's, one for us and one for my parents, plus dress them both, finally about five years ago we bought a Martha Stewart tree, it rotates with lights built in, it was nice and still is except ever since the 2nd time we used it the lights were a problem, some work some don't, every year we seem to waste an hour trying to make them all work. Ahhhhhh its Made in China.

We always give up, it doesn't rotate and we put our old lights on it, My wife always sneaks out and gets some pine cones off a tree that hangs over our fence, at least we don't have to clean up needles and worry about sap.

I still have a big old red and green stand Trotty if you want it...
Old Dec 18th 2010, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

You know you have to find the humour in this. Right now the tree is straight. Only because I have a book squeezed under one side of the tree stand. I wouldnt mind but I had a really good stand that I used for years but decided to sell it last year Didnt think I would need it. Dah.

Mummy..The dog trying to bite my feet was the last straw, the more I tried to move my foot around the more she thought I was playing. Everything was dry this morning. I kinda smell like a Christmas tree, must be in my hair. I think the remark that got me today was my dear hubby telling me that there was a bare spot with no lights

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.