Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 17th 2010, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by charleygirl
hi everyone, back from my ceremony, 81 people from 41 countries and 3 Brits lots of Canadians. It went so smoothly and was so organised.
Lovely lovely ceremony, I was very surprised, had a choir of 4th graders singing a lovely selection of American Patriotic songs...
Old veterans led the national anthem, very nicely done, was not expecting it to be so moving.

Couldnt send of Passport ap. though as "they" did not show up, whoever "they" are.
good luck to everyone else going through the process.
Hi Charley, congrats on your US citizenship! Sounds lovely and what a good idea to have a choir singing, just to get you in the mood . I have my ceremony on Monday morning in Toronto - after a 21 month wait! Cant wait, its another item ticked of my list.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I would like to apologise to Celticspirit and everybody else that thinks I was being mean and nasty.

I wasn't, I was being flippant, which obviously did not come across too well with the written word.

Nobody likes to be called trite and it was obviously this word that raised my hackles.

I have given CS sympathy in the past over her impending divorce, as I have many other people, and yes I do know what it is like to go through one on your own.

So once again I apologise for making waves on what is normally a peaceful thread.

This thread is indeed a wonderful peaceful place full of supportive people.

It's so good to read this email from you, Bee.

I and others did make the point, after this little contretemps, that subtleties of emotion are often lost in the written word, and what we write is all too easily misunderstood.

Let's hope peace prevails from now on....and we return to our usual supportive and constructive discussions.

Tina
Old Dec 17th 2010, 7:51 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Charleygirl, congrats on this big step!

Originally Posted by Wawa
Hi Charley, congrats on your US citizenship! Sounds lovely and what a good idea to have a choir singing, just to get you in the mood . I have my ceremony on Monday morning in Toronto - after a 21 month wait! Cant wait, its another item ticked of my list.
I have been through both of these. It won't be a surprise to learn that the Canadian ceremony is a little more, um, understated than the American one.

Both were very moving though - all those people from all over the world choosing to make a new place home.

My favorite part of the Canadian ceremony was when they played the national anthem. The judge pulled a little cassette player out from under her desk and pressed 'play' - so cute! Plus it was running out of batteries, so it kept going a little bit slow. Somehow that was just very Canadian. I was a bit taken aback during the US ceremony because I didn't realize that you had to promise to fight your home country if push came to shove. I just put my head down and pretended to agree at that point.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Dec 17th 2010 at 7:54 pm.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Charleygirl, congrats on this big step! ........I was a bit taken aback during the US ceremony because I didn't realize that you had to promise to fight your home country if push came to shove. I just put my head down and pretended to agree at that point.
Below is the current wording of the US citizenship oath--ok, I found it on wikipedia as the quickest way to pull it up, but I believe it is correct.

Discomfort with swearing this oath--while planning to return to UK rather than renouncing allegiance to it!!-- is why I haven't yet become a citizen.

I'm not trying to re-open the discussion necessarily, just posting this as a response to sally's comment, for those newer members who may not know what the oath entails.

It's been discussed many times on this thread and I've been advised often that I should just put aside my feeling that to swear this oath would be perjuring myself, because it makes sense to have USC if you have grown children here or might want to return for any reason. I do realize that it makes sense, but I just have to hope that as I have a green card due to marriage to a USC, it will be OK. I understand this is risky--and I was just told at the border that on a green card it's best to return every six months, and maximum time away should be eleven months.

Here's the oath:

I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God.[1]

I think the footnote says you can ask not to say "so help me God" if you don't believe in God.

Tina
Old Dec 17th 2010, 8:22 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Below is the current wording of the US citizenship oath--ok, I found it on wikipedia as the quickest way to pull it up, but I believe it is correct.

Discomfort with swearing this oath--while planning to return to UK rather than renouncing allegiance to it!!-- is why I haven't yet become a citizen.

I'm not trying to re-open the discussion necessarily, just posting this as a response to sally's comment, for those newer members who may not know what the oath entails.

It's been discussed many times on this thread and I've been advised often that I should just put aside my feeling that to swear this oath would be perjuring myself, because it makes sense to have USC if you have grown children here or might want to return for any reason. I do realize that it makes sense, but I just have to hope that as I have a green card due to marriage to a USC, it will be OK. I understand this is risky--and I was just told at the border that on a green card it's best to return every six months, and maximum time away should be eleven months.

Here's the oath:

I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God.[1]

I think the footnote says you can ask not to say "so help me God" if you don't believe in God.

Tina
Wow, not sure if I could say those words with meaning either Tina...............though if you have children living in the US you would just have to cross your fingers behind your back.....

I just looked up the British oath and it is VERY "mild" in comparison to the emotive US words.

Oath of allegiance

I (name) swear by Almighty God that on becoming a British citizen, I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, her Heirs and Successors, according to law.

Affirmation of allegiance
I (name) do solemnly, sincerely and truly declare and affirm that on becoming a British citizen, I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, her Heirs and Successors, according to law.

Pledge
I will give my loyalty to the United Kingdom and respect its rights and freedoms. I will uphold its democratic values. I will observe its laws faithfully and fulfil my duties and obligations as a British citizen.

Last edited by Beedubya; Dec 17th 2010 at 8:33 pm.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Charleygirl, congrats on this big step!

I have been through both of these. It won't be a surprise to learn that the Canadian ceremony is a little more, um, understated than the American one.

Both were very moving though - all those people from all over the world choosing to make a new place home.

My favorite part of the Canadian ceremony was when they played the national anthem. The judge pulled a little cassette player out from under her desk and pressed 'play' - so cute! Plus it was running out of batteries, so it kept going a little bit slow. Somehow that was just very Canadian. I was a bit taken aback during the US ceremony because I didn't realize that you had to promise to fight your home country if push came to shove. I just put my head down and pretended to agree at that point.

Thats hilarious Sal. I am not expecting pomp and ceremony, you are right - it just does not seem to be their style and now I will be watching for the cassette player. Hope I dont get a fit of the giggles.

I dont think I will have a problem with the oath:

I swear (or affirm) that I will be faithful
and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty
Queen Elizabeth the Second, Queen of Canada,
Her Heirs and Successors, and that I will faithfully
observe the laws of Canada
and fulfil my duties as a Canadian citizen.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Wow, not sure if I could say those words with meaning either Tina...............though if you have children living in the US you would just have to cross your fingers behind your back.....

I just looked up the British oath and it is VERY "mild" in comparison to the emotive US words.

Oath of allegiance

I (name) swear by Almighty God that on becoming a British citizen, I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, her Heirs and Successors, according to law.

Affirmation of allegiance
I (name) do solemnly, sincerely and truly declare and affirm that on becoming a British citizen, I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, her Heirs and Successors, according to law.

Pledge
I will give my loyalty to the United Kingdom and respect its rights and freedoms. I will uphold its democratic values. I will observe its laws faithfully and fulfil my duties and obligations as a British citizen.

Yes, Bee, much milder.
I could say that sort of thing, I think, if the US oath were like that.
It's the swearing to utterly renounce and abjure all former loyalty that I find hard. And as Sally pointed out, to be ready to take up arms against it!

But please, those of you who have taken the oath, don't be offended--I am not calling you all perjurers! I would just find it hard, myself.
(May change my tune if green card life gets just too tricky!)

This is a decision everyone must make for him/herself...

Tina
Old Dec 17th 2010, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Me too. I though it was hilarious. Maybe because I have an good imagination.

I think the biggest enemy of the United States has occupied Washington DC.

They are something else.

OK already, off politics
Old Dec 17th 2010, 9:44 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Y
But please, those of you who have taken the oath, don't be offended--I am not calling you all perjurers! I would just find it hard, myself.
(May change my tune if green card life gets just too tricky!)
I just didn't say it. There were hundreds and hundreds of people in the room and no-one knew if you said it or not. Plus, me promising to take up arms is a pretty safe bet - I can't see much chance that they'll want to draft middle-aged women into a war against Britain any time soon
Old Dec 17th 2010, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

I just didn't say it. There were hundreds and hundreds of people in the room and no-one knew if you said it or not. Plus, me promising to take up arms is a pretty safe bet - I can't see much chance that they'll want to draft middle-aged women into a war against Britain any time soon
Chortle!

tina
Old Dec 17th 2010, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

I dont believe many people in the room actually said those words when i took the oath, for one thing most of them couldnt speak enough English..
Old Dec 17th 2010, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Jackie, you really are an inspiration. You have been so strong through this whole ordeal and I really admire you. I can't wait to follow your adventures next year when you get home!
Thank you Sally,
I am not as strong as maybe I come across on here, I cry at least once a day, but I do know that without the people on here, and the hope and support they have given me through all of this, it would have been alot tougher. Everyone here in one way or another has given me hope for a bright future in England, and I am very grateful for all of you..
Jackie
Old Dec 17th 2010, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Honest to god, this sounds like my kind of day. Really. (I love being with myself. ) I hope you enjoy your special time.

We're 'walking' as well on Christmas Day, with London Walks. Here's their description of our walk:
Our afternoon walk is all about the man who some think invented Christmas - he didn't! He re-invented it! Before Mr Dickens and his stories came along Christmas was a rather small celebration on the Christian Calender. It was Dickens who words plumped, fluffed and sprinkled Christmas all over the world. So on Christmas afternoon we celebrate him: his words, his life and his Christmas - A Christmas before Cola turned Santa red. A Christmas in the gaslight. A Christmas in London.

The Charles Dickens Christmas Day walk at 2pm and we willbe talking about Charles Dickens' life and books and influences and of course Christmas and Christmas traditions. It explores the alleyways off The Strand and the Covent Garden area, places rich in Dickensian associations.

Great Expectations, Copperfield, Oliver Twist, and Pickwick all make an appearance and the highlights include London's finest Georgian alleyway and the sole surviving piece of Victorian underworld. A very special walk, not least because there is no traffic that day and we have the streets to ourselves.

Sounds like a great walk - lets hope the weather co-operates both in London and hear in Jersey City!! Going for a walk on Christmas afternoon is something we have done in my family for many years - trying to walk some of the Christmas Dinner off Still it's nice to get the fresh air in the lungs!!
Old Dec 17th 2010, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't say it either - and agree that the chances of me being called up to serve are zero to none
Old Dec 17th 2010, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad I got to delete this one.
Written in the spare of the moment.

You all made me do it.

Last edited by cheers; Dec 18th 2010 at 12:53 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.