Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 13th 2010, 3:18 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by windsong
Does anyone know the names of these offshore banks? What is the criteria for getting a mortgage with them? Is it your US credit rating?
Yes. I spoke to a mortgage broker who specializes in ex-pat mortgages and explained my situation. He told me that UK high street lenders are very wary of self-employed people and even more so if they have just moved from abroad. So he would seek out a mortgage for us with offshore banks (most likely US ones) and then recommend refinancing in the UK within a few years to get a better rate. He did warn me that these banks will generally not lend less than £100K and that they would require an excellent US credit rating. That's all I know.

To get more information, just google expat mortgages and I'm sure you'll find someone who can help. Sadly, I can't find this guy's details.

I think we may wind up renting for a few years and then just getting a UK mortgage if we need one.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Should we know who Elizabeth Hurley is or is this a British celebrity?
Old Dec 13th 2010, 5:13 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Should we know who Elizabeth Hurley is or is this a British celebrity?
She was co-star in the first Austin Powers movie, also dated Hugh Grant, I think (until he was caught cosying up to a transvestite prostitute, that is).
Old Dec 13th 2010, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dunroving
She was co-star in the first Austin Powers movie, also dated Hugh Grant, I think (until he was caught cosying up to a transvestite prostitute, that is).
LOL ...she is /was not a transvestite !

Divane Brown is her name (I think ) she is apparently living a 'typical ' suburban lifestyle now with a young child .

That would be some clothes and make- up if it helped her conceive lol !
Old Dec 13th 2010, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I thought he was tied to Emma Thompson. I wrong. I loved Emma Thompson and her drawl accent of the west country but I no longer favor her for some statements she has made that I disagree with.

OK I have just spent a half hour reading about Hugh Grant.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

MNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really nice

Originally Posted by dunroving
No, we do the ecologically responsible thing and either compost or recycle food waste.

Garbage disposals are a ridiculously indulgent, wasteful and lazy piece of machinery that only serve to gunk up the water drainage system (Google New York and garbage disposal and I'm sure you will pull up a few choice articles on the subject).
you can buy a compost bin from the council, we put all vegetable scraps, waste collected in vacuum cleaner, some grass cuttings, some leaves, garden waste - in not too much time it is ready to put back onto the garden and makes you feel really good that you have recycled. So many people here are going back to growing their own fruit and vegetables and also starting to do crafts that a few years ago were a 'dying' art e.g knitting, cross stitch, baking your own bread and more cooking from scratch, me included - some of us are tired of the use it and throw it away culture
Old Dec 13th 2010, 8:18 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MNandMN
you can buy a compost bin from the council, we put all vegetable scraps, waste collected in vacuum cleaner, some grass cuttings, some leaves, garden waste - in not too much time it is ready to put back onto the garden and makes you feel really good that you have recycled. So many people here are going back to growing their own fruit and vegetables and also starting to do crafts that a few years ago were a 'dying' art e.g knitting, cross stitch, baking your own bread and more cooking from scratch, me included - some of us are tired of the use it and throw it away culture
Have you been watching "Kirstie's Homemade Home?" I love all these crafts she's demonstrating.

I won't be sad to leave conveniences behind - I do feel life here is a little more materialistic than is good for us.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

MNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really nice

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Have you been watching "Kirstie's Homemade Home?" I love all these crafts she's demonstrating.

I won't be sad to leave conveniences behind - I do feel life here is a little more materialistic than is good for us.
yes I like the show, and she is right when she says second hand shopping and salvage yards are so much fun, I love them, better than new things and better quality usually
Old Dec 13th 2010, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't know about the compost bin. That's a good idea! I LOVE the idea of going back to the old crafts. I love to cook and crochet and I have made my own bread. I would absolutely love to do this. I also do cross stich Yes, I have spent many years myself as a use it and throw it away individual but it always seemed pointless to me. I am not like that any more. I believe in saving our earth as best we can and going back to the old crafts. That's music to my ears!
Old Dec 13th 2010, 9:27 pm
Finally Home!

yes I like the show, and she is right when she says second hand shopping and salvage yards are so much fun, I love them, better than new things and better quality usually
I do love the look of the salvage yard she goes to. The only ones I know round here are ludicrously expensive. I love second hand furniture but I can't afford antique prices, which is what they charge here.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

I do love the look of the salvage yard she goes to. The only ones I know round here are ludicrously expensive. I love second hand furniture but I can't afford antique prices, which is what they charge here.
I will be looking for secondhand furniture when I get there, too. I may buy some new but definitely not all. Even in the U.S. I like going to the antique stores. I usually end up buying a British teacup and saucer or something my grandmother would have had in Britain
Old Dec 13th 2010, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

I agree with you Sally about the conveniences.

As soon as I get a proxy anonymizer to work on my PC (Apple) I will find that show.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
I thought he was tied to Emma Thompson. I wrong. I loved Emma Thompson and her drawl accent of the west country but I no longer favor her for some statements she has made that I disagree with.

OK I have just spent a half hour reading about Hugh Grant.
Isn't Emma Thompson the one who died from a head injury a few years ago? I loved her.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 9:47 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Isn't Emma Thompson the one who died from a head injury a few years ago? I loved her.
Emma Thompson is alive and well (I think someone referred to her a few posts back).

Maybe you are thinking of Liam Neeson's wife Natasha Richardson (one of the Redgrave sisters) who died after a skiing fall(?)
Old Dec 13th 2010, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

You know we are in a bad situation when you can't give things away. We have a drive thru at a charity shop and I tried to give them my perfectly good monitor and they wouldn't except it so I had to drive 10 miles to the city dump and they had a stack of electronics that they send to a place about another 250 miles away to be salvaged for gold or ???

"The runaway technology society"

I think I read that the new government is going to change things on the wheelie bins. I'm tired of seeing them all over the place. I think they could be smaller and they could be kept out of site.
(I think I'll go back on google earth and see if they took the wheelie bins back in from the end of Dons driveway)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.