Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 11th 2010, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Just a thought.....we should get side by side semi detached cottages!
Just think of the fun with all our "babies".
Hee hee!! I love it! THEY would love it, too
Old Dec 11th 2010, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
Barbara and Windsong very happy to hear you both have found jobs.
Thank you, Fulwood
Old Dec 11th 2010, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Thank you, Fulwood
Sometimes wishes come true )
Old Dec 11th 2010, 3:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Sometimes wishes come true )
They do indeed, Celtic. And I have a lot more wishes
Old Dec 11th 2010, 3:52 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Windsong & Beedubya...... so excited for you both! How wonderful to have job offers!
Old Dec 11th 2010, 4:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

They do indeed, Celtic. And I have a lot more wishes
Awwwwwwwww......is this one of your doggies ) ??
Old Dec 11th 2010, 4:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Awwwwwwwww......is this one of your doggies ) ??
Yes. That's my little baby, Corey. He is a Maltese - two and a half years old. He was born in a puppy mill but I got him from a rescue at 11 weeks old - love at first sight from the first day
Old Dec 11th 2010, 7:41 am
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, everyone.

The fact I got the job hasn't quite hit me yet - well, it has and it hasn't. I am almost afraid to relax in case it doesn't work out. I will be temp there for one month (2-3 weeks actually) and then permanent the first of the year.

It is very well paid so I will finally be able to plan my way home to the UK. that is the part I am MOST grateful about. I am going to try to live meagerly here and save all I can.

This weekend, I am preparing a notebook called "The Journey Back Home" so i can begin to plan. Gosh, even as I right this, I have tears in my eyes. to think that now I can "begin" the journey. FABULOUS!!!

I do have concerns about the UK, mostly because I have two small dogs and two cats I am taking with me. I SO want to find a place to live that will let me keep them all. I will not go unless I can keep them.

Do you think it would be possible to find somewhere that will let me keep four?
YES! We came with 2 dogs and a cat and my son followed a few months later with his 2 cats. You can find places, just contact the local estate agents and let them know you are looking for pets acceptable. They will help you find one and they will ask for you as well. Congrats on the job!
Old Dec 11th 2010, 8:41 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly Windsong, BIG congratulations on getting the job, well done. I still see you going back before the 2 year plan as I told you when you joined here just a few weeks back...........stick around and we will see..........

THANK YOU EVERYBODY both participants and lurkers for all the good wishes and the Congratulations about the job in London. I am still a bit stunned, like when Sally Field got the Oscar:

"And I can't deny the fact that you like me... right now... you like me. Thank you."

I had lunch today with my gf and her partner, he is soooo jealous LOL!! He HATES Australia and is going back to New Zealand after Christmas in pretty much the same circumstances as me/us........EXCEPT now I have a job, no more of that interviewing BS you have to go through these days, all that putting in your CV to agencies and companies, waiting for interviews, then when you do go all that role playing rubbish, and so on........

This was totally not on my agenda, London (!!), I don't want to live in a big city and couldn't afford to do so anyway..........so I am looking for somewhere to commute to the job (Staines, Middlesex) but not actually live in the area......and of course the $$$$ are going to be a big factor, the rent in that area is way more than say Rosie will be paying in Frome.......

How weird, that your life and it's "plans" can change in a minute, I was only on Skype yesterday morning talking to my sister, worrying about getting a job "at my age" and look what has happened!! Looks like all my hard work has paid off.

Last edited by Beedubya; Dec 11th 2010 at 8:43 am.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Firstly Windsong, BIG congratulations on getting the job, well done. I still see you going back before the 2 year plan as I told you when you joined here just a few weeks back...........stick around and we will see..........
THANK YOU EVERYBODY both participants and lurkers for all the good wishes and the Congratulations about the job in London. I am still a bit stunned, like when Sally Field got the Oscar:
"And I can't deny the fact that you like me... right now... you like me. Thank you." I had lunch today with my gf and her partner, he is soooo jealous LOL!! He HATES Australia and is going back to New Zealand after Christmas in pretty much the same circumstances as me/us........EXCEPT now I have a job, no more of that interviewing BS you have to go through these days, all that putting in your CV to agencies and companies, waiting for interviews, then when you do go all that role playing rubbish, and so on........This was totally not on my agenda, London (!!), I don't want to live in a big city and couldn't afford to do so anyway..........so I am looking for somewhere to commute to the job (Staines, Middlesex) but not actually live in the area......and of course the $$$$ are going to be a big factor, the rent in that area is way more than say Rosie will be paying in Frome.......How weird, that your life and it's "plans" can change in a minute, I was only on Skype yesterday morning talking to my sister, worrying about getting a job "at my age" and look what has happened!! Looks like all my hard work has paid off.
Barb, Good Luck, now for the home seeking part! Take care - dontheturner
Old Dec 11th 2010, 8:45 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Barb,
You are a lucky sod
You got a job and weren't looking for one.
Like someone said you must be well thought of by Quantas.
Lets see if I remember right. You are/were going by BA because of the better luggage allowance? So you don't have a household to move.
Lets all keep it quiet about you were planning on going on BA.
When do they want you to move?
Oh British Airways?? Who are they LOL!!
Old Dec 11th 2010, 9:13 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Drat! Because I am outside the UK, it wants me to buy credits
Maybe this one will work for you:

http://www.thephonebook.bt.com/publi...itial=&Street=
Old Dec 11th 2010, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

Windsong, congratulations on getting the job. I do believe as has already been said good things happen on this thread
Old Dec 11th 2010, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by callé
YES! We came with 2 dogs and a cat and my son followed a few months later with his 2 cats. You can find places, just contact the local estate agents and let them know you are looking for pets acceptable. They will help you find one and they will ask for you as well. Congrats on the job!
Ohhh Calle, thank you!!!! This is SO good to know and puts my mind at ease tremendously because if the pets don't go, I don't go - and you KNOW how much going home means to me

So glad you are back in your home country and I assume you are all loving it, including the pets. I would think the pets have a tiny adjustment to make, too. The sidewalk feels a bit different, more country lanes, different plants, trees and bushes - different food, too. That's another thing I have to learn about the quality of the food over there for pets - and the top names for pet food.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dunroving
WOO HOO! It did indeed, Don. When the search results appeared, I recognized the name of his home instantly. Thank you SO much!

Now, I will get international calling added to my cell phone plan. It's too costly otherwise but relatively cheap with the plan.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.