Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 10th 2010, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Sentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Beedubya View Post
OK latest update from me...............

I told my immediate boss on Tuesday that I am going back to the UK............he totally understood as he emigrated here to Australia as a kid from the UK and has never felt like he belonged...............long story.........

Fast forward to this morning..........HIS boss - my bigger boss (believe me we have lots ) called me into his office.......and asked me would I like a job similar to what I am doing now but in a different division of our company in our LONDON office!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would be the main contact for the Australian operation.

SO SO totally unexpected and I have to say I am shocked and overwhelmed and this goes against any "plans" I had for my future in the UK.

Of course it will all hinge on the $$$$$$ to be paid and me, lil ol' me living in old Londinium town !!!

OMG they told me to take a few days to think about my answer and I have thought of little else as overwhelmed as I am..............

I would appreciate each and any input from our subscribers (and even the lurkers )
Go for it, what have you got to loose,once you are home you can always take your time and look for another job if you don't like the one offered, at least you will be home and with a job.Good Luck in whatever you decide to do.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

I told my immediate boss on Tuesday that I am going back to the UK............he totally understood as he emigrated here to Australia as a kid from the UK and has never felt like he belonged...............long story.........

Fast forward to this morning..........HIS boss - my bigger boss (believe me we have lots ) called me into his office.......and asked me would I like a job similar to what I am doing now but in a different division of our company in our LONDON office!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would be the main contact for the Australian operation.

SO SO totally unexpected and I have to say I am shocked and overwhelmed and this goes against any "plans" I had for my future in the UK.

Of course it will all hinge on the $$$$$$ to be paid and me, lil ol' me living in old Londinium town !!!

OMG they told me to take a few days to think about my answer and I have thought of little else as overwhelmed as I am..............

I would appreciate each and any input from our subscribers (and even the lurkers )
It's all falling into place and I am delighted for you! Congratulations!!
Old Dec 10th 2010, 11:58 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 View Post
Things are very different in many areas of life, daily living is more routine, and certainly more relaxed. At the moment you are thinking in American terms, but this is a good time to start acclimating to new ways of living, in the British style. Smaller, slower, calmer.

Maybe. But not everywhere, Rosie. I moved from a small Southern town in South Carolina to the Greater London area. The pace of life here is much more manic than from where I came from.

But we were bored in Moncks Corner .... whereas, there's so much to see and do where we are now. At this point in our lives, we love it here.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Bee, maybe Denise (DDL) can help with your questions about affordability of living in the Staines area etc...
Old Dec 10th 2010, 12:04 pm
DDL

Fast forward to this morning..........HIS boss - my bigger boss (believe me we have lots ) called me into his office.......and asked me would I like a job similar to what I am doing now but in a different division of our company in our LONDON office!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would be the main contact for the Australian operation.)

WOW. WOW. WOW. Barb, "there's your sign"!!!

I can't remember who you work for, but it sounds like you should jump at this opportunity! Do you know whereabouts in London their offices are? Might be worth a quick look to see if it is near a tube or train line because chances are you won't be able to afford to live in London proper. You'll at least want easy access to/from work.

And keep location in mind with regard to the 2012 Olympics. London, especially East London, is going to be hell then.

Can't wait to hear more!!!
Old Dec 10th 2010, 12:08 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Bee, I would say accept the offer to move your job to UK.

Jobs are hard to find here, it is simpler to take one that comes with you, it would give you breathing space around money worries, assurance of immediate income and flexibility to look around some without urgency.

Yes, there are downsides, you will be back and having to put in full time job immediately without a break to settle in, but the income is so useful to get to grips with the costs of living.

We had intended to move back, spend time getting settled in then look for work. However, in a similar situation to your, DH's employer offered him to keep his job and fulfill it from the UK. They wouldn't fund our move because it was our need, not theirs that we come to UK but that was relatively minor 'cos we were already committed to pay our own way.

It has been hard on him, a full time job (he designs medical devices, asthma inhalers and such) on top of moving ourselves back, housing etc, but the security of income - in a job that he knows - has been one huge less worry.
We had hoped, planned, to take moving back a bit more easy and relaxed and it has not been that but the security of income has been worthwhile.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL View Post
Maybe. But not everywhere, Rosie. I moved from a small Southern town in South Carolina to the Greater London area. The pace of life here is much more manic than from where I came from.

But we were bored http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...lies/sleep.gif in Moncks Corner .... whereas, there's so much to see and do where we are now. At this point in our lives, we love it here.
True. There is a lot to see and do in London, and I am doing just that for the last few days that I am here in Ealing. But, and this is personal to me, I am looking forward to a regular pace of life, one in which I can finally get back to my art, as I have been an administrator for family needs during the last 18 or so months, and I am exhausted with it all. My paintbrushes beckon...
Old Dec 10th 2010, 12:11 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by charleygirl View Post
Bee, maybe Denise (DDL) can help with your questions about affordability of living in the Staines area etc...
Right, I'm in Laleham, near Staines. Laleham is very expensive but Staines has a good variety of rents. Just type in a TW18 postcard in RightMove and that will give you an idea on what's available.

Staines area is a GREAT location IMHO. The train line runs directly into Waterloo. We're about 15 min. from the Hatton Cross tube at Heathrow. And you've got easy access to the M3 and the M25.

Some lovely places surrounding us: Windsor, Ascot, Runnymede, Sunningdale, Virginia Water, etc.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

OMG Bee - Jump at it!! I would. Would you be taking the job on an expat salary or as a UK Citizen, I wonder.

The income will help you get settled over there, even if you only do it for a year or two.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

OMG Barb what a wonderful opportunity for you, whats to think about? you have planed to come back home next year anyway right?
And living in London wont be so bad really --- I think you could get used to the big smoke
And the main thing is that you dont have to look for a Job, you know what a worry that will be for you if you had to do that, --- it takes all the stress away from you, all I can say is if it were me I would just go for it without hesitation!!!! and it will be basically the same Job as your doing now, same company, just a transfer, oh you are so lucky to get this offer, Im kind of jealous ---- you will be where you want to be right? ---- out of Oz and back home in UK WHERE YOU WANT TO BE,
Well thats my little input for what its worth anyway, take care,
Rodney.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons View Post
I agree - and also it depends where in the US you live. Here in the New York City area, everything is ridiculously expensive. My monthly health care insurance costs more than most British people pay for a mortgage. I live in a drafty old house just like you find in the UK, but my utilities cost 4x the UK prices. Car insurance is nuts here. Property taxes are 5x what they would be in the UK. When I was back in Sept, I found eating out to be much cheaper than round here.

I just don't see how any article can talk about a US cost of living when it varies so wildly from place to place. Maybe if a person leaves Iowa and goes to London, things would seem expensive. But when I move from New York to the north of England, everything except house prices will be much less expensive.
Hi Sally,
everything you say here makes so much sense, I have only been back home for 9 days and all I can say is why on earth did I leave it so long to come back, its absolutely wonderful here,
I really am looking for negative things to report but honestly its very hard to find anything, I love the cold weather, the only thing I am a little disappointed with is in 9 days I havent seen a single drop of rain, --- remember I came from the desert and every morning here I get up and look up at the sky and all I have seen so far is at 7.30 in morning the sun is just coming up --- yes sun!!! and the sky is normally a beautiful red, and the seagulls are flying above and chirping and singing, and a few robins too,
Oh I would so love to see it just downpour with rain but so far the forcast has no sign of it at all
The people here in Portsmouth are so happy, and there polite too, they say sorry a lot too, not quite sure why? ---- you know when they bump into you on the crowded high street,
I did all my Christmas card shopping this morning for the whole family, really good quality cards are about a third of the cost of same kind of cards in the States,
Me and Mum had our first Fish & Chips dinner last night, I walked up the top of our road to the best shop in Portsmouth and brought them back home,
2 nice large pieces of cod, a massive bag of chips, and mushy peas for two people, altogether --- £8.80 --- WOW what a great taste and lovely dinner and so filling, I sure missed my fish & Chips,
Sorry to all that I have not had enough time to go back and read too many posts --- as I still have to rely on the library computers, and I only get an hour at a time,
Cant wait to get my own lap top, they say that the Boxing day sales are quite good bargains,
Well take care for now Sally and ---- ya all,
Rodney.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 1:20 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL View Post
Hi Don, and thanks for that story. I love hearing about things like this. I think the Tea Break era was fascinating. I for one would not have been embarrassed to have been a Tea Lady! What a wonderful thing for employees - much better than just sticking a drinks and candy machine in a room.

Yes, the poor tea pluckers are never paid enough but things are slowly improving. Most plantations now provide housing, schools, and medical care and it's usually a family affair with the mothers and older children working in the fields and the husbands and older boys working in the tea processing factory which is usually on-site. Fairtrade has also helped workers although I always remind people that Fairtrade tea doesn't necessarily mean that it's better quality tea.

Long live the teapot! I confess that most of the time it's a teabag for me, but there's nothing more satisfying than brewing up a pot of proper tea using looseleaf tea. And I'd like to award First Prize to you for using a removable filter! That's definitely the way to go, Don!

Oh gosh y'all....don't get me started on tea! I could talk for England about tea!
Unfortunately the tea bags here are just not good enough. We buy imported Yorkshire Tea teabags, but they don't taste the same as the same brand in England. So we finally caved and bought a teapot (with infuser) and found a place where we can buy loose leaf Twinings tea. The difference is just amazing! Now it tastes like real English tea.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tanto View Post
Thank you Rodney,
Wise and comforting words! You have been a constant inspiration - you've made the whole process of repatriating sound so easy. You just seem to get on with the job, whatever it is and don't spend time dithering. Maybe it helped for you to have a deadline (your booked airline ticket), giving you a certain time frame to accomplish everything, despite a few setbacks (health issues). You always seem to have time for everyone too......
I had a thought a while ago when you were talking of all your travels. I think there's definitely a book in you! I can't hear enough of your stories (we've all probably got a book in us), I mean, look at Bryson!! Anyway, just a thought.....
I spent some time during my last visits to the UK, on Hayling Island. My Mother's best friend lives there now. We spent a day in Portsmouth (WW2 museum), Bosham, Chichester, Havant, etc. It's a surprisingly interesting area.....
Gosh, you're on the countdown to your departure!!! What will we do without you? I know you promised to keep in contact when you get home - please don't forget us!
Thanks again, Rodney.
Tanto
Tanto,
Bless your heart, nice post, just trying to catch up a bit --- but its hard, this thread just moves so fast,I will never forget all my friends on here --- cause as I said many times before that if it were not for everyone here I would not be in England right now and enjoying every single minute of every single day,
Take care mate,
Rodney.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 1:27 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

That is a great option to have! Especially in this economy when looking for a job would have been a worry on top of everything else. Of course, London isn't the Lake District but on the plus side, it would be infinitely better than where you are - plus there'd be so much new to explore and there are regular fast trains up north (only takes 2 and a half hours to get to Kendal!) so you could see your family.

When will you know the salary? I suppose that will be a key factor because you need to know what you could afford as far as a flat.

How do you feel about London as a place? Can you see yourself there? I think that's really the biggest question ... if you like London, this is a great opportunity.

Congrats on being so valued by your employers!
Old Dec 10th 2010, 1:33 pm
Finally Home!

Originally Posted by jasper123 View Post
Hi Sally,
everything you say here makes so much sense, I have only been back home for 9 days and all I can say is why on earth did I leave it so long to come back, its absolutely wonderful here,
I really am looking for negative things to report but honestly its very hard to find anything, I love the cold weather, the only thing I am a little disappointed with is in 9 days I havent seen a single drop of rain, --- remember I came from the desert and every morning here I get up and look up at the sky and all I have seen so far is at 7.30 in morning the sun is just coming up --- yes sun!!! and the sky is normally a beautiful red, and the seagulls are flying above and chirping and singing, and a few robins too,
Oh I would so love to see it just downpour with rain but so far the forcast has no sign of it at all
The people here in Portsmouth are so happy, and there polite too, they say sorry a lot too, not quite sure why? ---- you know when they bump into you on the crowded high street,
I did all my Christmas card shopping this morning for the whole family, really good quality cards are about a third of the cost of same kind of cards in the States,
Me and Mum had our first Fish & Chips dinner last night, I walked up the top of our road to the best shop in Portsmouth and brought them back home,
2 nice large pieces of cod, a massive bag of chips, and mushy peas for two people, altogether --- £8.80 --- WOW what a great taste and lovely dinner and so filling, I sure missed my fish & Chips,
Sorry to all that I have not had enough time to go back and read too many posts --- as I still have to rely on the library computers, and I only get an hour at a time,
Cant wait to get my own lap top, they say that the Boxing day sales are quite good bargains,
Well take care for now Sally and ---- ya all,
Rodney.

Rodney, how lovely to get these updates from you and to hear about how happy you are. I always worry a little that people returning home will have doubts about what they did, and I especially worried about you since you have been gone so long, but now I can relax and just picture you enjoying your fish n' chip supper. YUM!

Rosie, I love to paint too. I say get those paintbrushes out NOW! No more time to waste

PS: When I bold your names, I'm not shouting at you - just want to make the names easier to see.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.