Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 10th 2010, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by windsong
I hope it is possible to buy a decent size freezer in the UK. I have one now that is as big as my fridge - it's a stand-up, no frost freezer. Of course, I don't want one THAT size but one half or a third as big would be nice.
I have a very large Fridge, and matching freezer, which I had to have installed in the garage, as we do not have room for it, in the laundry room. - (that is in Shropshire, waiting for our return) but, here in Thailand, we have a large/fridge/freezer. - you see, other than me, Thais never eat bread, cakes nor pastries, nor do they drink tea with milk, nor cheese, so really I suppose, they do not need one, other than a large Ice Box (Always blue colour) dontheturner
Old Dec 10th 2010, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Hello CharleyGirl...

Dr's and blood work, that made me laugh, Now a mammogram, that's the terrible service I hear so much about, if people only knew the truth.

So Very Homesick today, some days are much worse than others, at least that's how it affects me, some days you cant get it out of your head.

Our tree always stays up till 12 days after Christmas.

So you are in UK time, that's not such a bad thing is it ? hahahaaaa...

I thought the time setting was in "My profile" but I cant seem to find it, I'm pretty useless when it come to computers, Hopefully someone will jump to your rescue...
Fish - right down in the bottom right corner of your screen, click on it, to change it! don
Old Dec 10th 2010, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

I hope it is possible to buy a decent size freezer in the UK. I have one now that is as big as my fridge - it's a stand-up, no frost freezer. Of course, I don't want one THAT size but one half or a third as big would be nice.
Im pretty sure they have them, Search Currys or Comet.

I just dont see the point of having a big freezer, Its great to buy stuff on sale but it costs money to run and things get freezer burned, and half the time you forget what's in there, In the USA you have hunting season and might need it, but there's no hunting season in the UK hahahaaaaa, that's just my narrow minded negative opinion.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 4:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Fish - right down in the bottom right corner of your screen, click on it, to change it! don
Its OK Don, my clock is OK, its Charley and her Ex-pats site time that is off.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Im pretty sure they have them, Search Currys or Comet.

I just dont see the point of having a big freezer, Its great to buy stuff on sale but it costs money to run and things get freezer burned, and half the time you forget what's in there, In the USA you have hunting season and might need it, but there's no hunting season in the UK hahahaaaaa, that's just my narrow minded negative opinion.
Thank goodness there's no hunting season. I HATE that. I always wish the hunters were the hunted.

So right about that freezer burn but I'd like to have a little one just in case of emergencies. However, if the power goes out, everything gets ruined and that's probably the most likely emergency
Old Dec 10th 2010, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

I am a bit concerned about renting a home over there. I have two small dogs and two cats and I am taking them with me when I leave here. I hope I can find somewhere that will take four.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Coronation Street - anyone watching it the last few days? WOW! What a tram crash! I hope Peter lives!
Old Dec 10th 2010, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I think if the students carry one like this they will begin to lose the support of regular citizens. How would vandalizing Oxford street and breaking windows help in any way It's stupid. Mob mentality. I bet half of them aren't even students and have no plans to ever go to college at all.

My thoughts exactly!.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Thank goodness there's no hunting season. I HATE that. I always wish the hunters were the hunted.

So right about that freezer burn but I'd like to have a little one just in case of emergencies. However, if the power goes out, everything gets ruined and that's probably the most likely emergency
My Dad always used to say give the Animals Guns and then we will see how long hunting season lasts hahahaaa..

Small Freezer Yes, that makes sense.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dunroving
They should be locked up and made to listen to hours of boring lectures on political evolution since the turn of the century and then write an evaluative piece using grounded theory to develop a theretical paradigm of the essence of political activism.

They'll never do it again.
Hahahaaaaa thats Right...

If we all complained when the prices went up we'd be in a right mess, Students will never learn... LOL.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 4:19 am
BE Forum Addict

My Dad always used to say give the Animals Guns and then we will see how long hunting season lasts hahahaaa..

Small Freezer Yes, that makes sense.
You know, I was just thinking, I have not seen a tall fridge over there. I have been looking at some of the houses and not seen a fridge that is tall. I assume there is one but it must be waist height. Also the washers are in the kitchens but I don't see dryers. Maybe they still use a clothesline.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 4:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Derrygal
That is so sad - about your wife's dad. The same thing happened with my mum. She died in 1991. It's a long story and I don't want to bore you with the details, but to put it briefly, I didn't get back to see her before she died. I managed to get back for the funeral - it was hard - I had just applied for my Green Card and you know the way the INS takes your passport and you can't really travel (at least they did back then). I had problems getting back there and had to contact a lawyer in New York. When my father got ill 6 years later I was able to spend a few months with him and was there when he died. Even now, I still panic about the thought of not having a passport and always feel nervous when I have to send it off for renewal. Maybe that is the reason I have never applied for US citizenship, although that is my New Year's resolution - I am going to apply in January. It's something I have been procrastinating about for too long.
Yes Derrygirl these things happen when you dont expect it, I'm sure many of us have that fear of No Passport, but we have reason.

Im glad you got to spend time with your Dad, we all do our best, thats for sure.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 4:24 am
BE Forum Addict

If the power goes out for longer than a specified time, you get compen from the Electric supplier, by law. don
Old Dec 10th 2010, 4:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dontheturner
If the power goes out for longer than a specified time, you get compen from the Electric supplier, by law. don
That's terrific, Don! That would NEVER happen in the U.S. You usually have to take out a claim on your homeowner's insurance policy.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 4:25 am
BE Forum Addict

You know, I was just thinking, I have not seen a tall fridge over there. I have been looking at some of the houses and not seen a fridge that is tall. I assume there is one but it must be waist height. Also the washers are in the kitchens but I don't see dryers. Maybe they still use a clothesline.
You really do need to look at Comet and Currys, England is short of now't it has, and yes some still use washing lines, My MIL uses both.

Some put driers in the wash house or garage, it may cause damp problems, some stick the drier pipe thru an open window.

Last edited by Fish n Chips 56; Dec 10th 2010 at 4:28 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.