Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 9th 2010, 10:11 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
A splinter group broke off, whilst the police had the main group kettled again. And that group (the splinter group I mean) is probably a rent-a-mob lot, as they were really acting up badly. The news will give a clearer picture - I am just translating what I saw on the telly.
They should be locked up and made to listen to hours of boring lectures on political evolution since the turn of the century and then write an evaluative piece using grounded theory to develop a theretical paradigm of the essence of political activism.

They'll never do it again.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 10:12 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HighTide
Yes it was Fanny's Farm Shop in Surrey. We chatted with Fanny and she is a real character with a wicked sense of humour. You obviously have been there too.

Actually, no, I've never been there ... but I have met Fanny!

My "hobby" is tea - I started the Tea in London tours and I have written articles and reviews about tea, I do classes and speak to groups about Afternoon Tea and anything and everything relating to the subject (which is pretty darn fascinating). There is a very wide and large group of fellow tea enthusiasts around the world. Well, about 10 years ago, one of my American tea "colleagues" (whom I had never met) was living in England and she got to know Fanny and helped her create a website, etc. Her name is Kathryn. (She later moved away but they are now back living in England.)

Anyway, my best friend and I came to London on holiday and on one of those days Kathryn had previously planned on bringing Fanny into London, so I arranged my schedule that day so that I could pop into Fortnum and Mason to meet both of them in person. I brought along some "American Classic Tea" for each of them - tea that was grown in South Carolina (where I was living at the time).

I don't know if Fanny even remembers it but what a coincidence that you went to her Farm Shop!

Denise the Tea Lover

)
(
)
___
\__/c
Old Dec 9th 2010, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
They should be locked up and made to listen to hours of boring lectures on political evolution since the turn of the century and then write an evaluative piece using grounded theory to develop a theretical paradigm of the essence of political activism.

I agree with whatever you said...
Old Dec 9th 2010, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

I have had a few requests for Real Estate Agents in the Frome area, so here is the list. Most do lettings also.

www.mcallistersestateagents.co.uk
www.cooperandtanner.co.uk
www.sequencehome.co.uk

www.swallows.co.uk
www.holdenheal.com
www.rogersandcompany.co.uk
www.lewisgray.co.uk
Old Dec 9th 2010, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Oh Jackie what wonderful news!! I am sooo excited and happy for you!! Don't forget your winter woolies...........

We will be doing our stalking/tracking for you very soon, because I do believe you are the next homing pigeon.
I like the idea of being stalked (in a good way)
jackie
Old Dec 9th 2010, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Jackie, that is FANTASTIC news, you will feel really good when you are finally home, I feel great and I know --- just know that this is where I want to spend the rest of my life, me and mum are getting along great,
January 25th for you Huh, all booked and paid for ----
Rodney.
Thanks Rodney,

Yep,. I am right behind you, Had to go British Airways and not Virgin tho, because my Dad is getting older and doesnt like driving to Gatwick.
I am so glad things are working out for you, and you have no regrets..
Keep in touch, and who knows finally we may get to have a drink in a pub sometime..
Jackie
Old Dec 9th 2010, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

I lost weight when I was in the UK too. I put my weight loss down to not having a car. Lots and lots of walking.

HOWEVER (people beware!!) in my last few months when the weather was really bad (and I knew I would have to come back here) I took to comfort eating and put back what I had lost and more. I cannot believe I did this, but I did...........I ate a WHOLE tin of Cadbury's Roses. A WHOLE tin all to myself, sure not in a day but still..............delicious they were too.
LOL Bee,

I totally can relate to that, whenever I have been home for a vacation, I eat as much of my favorite foods as I can, and usually gain 5-6 pounds before I leave. Pasties, cream donuts, sausage rolls, and Flakes...love me some flakes...lol
Jackie..
Old Dec 9th 2010, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
LOL Bee,

I totally can relate to that, whenever I have been home for a vacation, I eat as much of my favorite foods as I can, and usually gain 5-6 pounds before I leave. Pasties, cream donuts, sausage rolls, and Flakes...love me some flakes...lol
Jackie..
Oh and lets not forget pickled onions....
Old Dec 9th 2010, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DDL
Well, yes, those but even what they call a "full" size fridge here is still much smaller than those in the States. But I don't care - I LOVE ENGLAND!!!
I think its because its a cold weather country, and they dont really need to refrigerate food as much as we do when is 110 outside..
Old Dec 9th 2010, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh yes the temptation is so much greater there with all the variety!! And the chocolates are about half the price of here too. Another thing I got quite addicted to (besides Greggs and Sayers pasties) were the fresh cream cakes. In Australia the so called fresh cream just doesn't taste the same. It is whiter for some reason and not as creamy but they insist it is fresh......

Fresh cream cakes not necessarily from a cake shop but from say Tesco's or the Co-op, you get a little packet with two chocolate eclairs in, and oh it is sooo hard to just eat one.
OMG Bee, I think we are the same person..lol
Jackie
Old Dec 10th 2010, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Hello Derrygirl.

My wife is British, we grew up 8 miles apart, met while she was over here on vacation, She's OK here or there, she gets tired of hearing me going on about England, I try to calm it down but we have no friends as such so she has to listen to me, poor devil. Ive been in this move back mode as long as weve been together, (30 years) we tried it once and gave up back in 89-90.

She's from a big and wonderful family, 8 brothers and sisters, her Mum is still with us, I Love them all, after my wife did so much for my sick Mum I wanted us to be able to go back so she could spend some years with her own Mum.

Her father died exactly 10 years ago this week, we hadn't been back in three years, (short of money) we planned to go back for the millennium, and three days before we arrived he suddenly passed away, it was the saddest thing, going back for a super Christmas and to ring in 2000 then having a funeral on the day before Christmas Eve.
That is so sad - about your wife's dad. The same thing happened with my mum. She died in 1991. It's a long story and I don't want to bore you with the details, but to put it briefly, I didn't get back to see her before she died. I managed to get back for the funeral - it was hard - I had just applied for my Green Card and you know the way the INS takes your passport and you can't really travel (at least they did back then). I had problems getting back there and had to contact a lawyer in New York. When my father got ill 6 years later I was able to spend a few months with him and was there when he died. Even now, I still panic about the thought of not having a passport and always feel nervous when I have to send it off for renewal. Maybe that is the reason I have never applied for US citizenship, although that is my New Year's resolution - I am going to apply in January. It's something I have been procrastinating about for too long.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
I hope that job comes to fruition for you

I remember when you joined , a (member on a few forums) -I have never seen someone clock up so many posts SO quickly lol !

It just goes to show how many questions you needed answering ,and just how long you had been pondering a move home right ?

I am very happy that you are able to talk and put your plans together Windsong

BTW, we are heading for North Dorset (on the Somerset boarder ) too !
I think it is beautiful
Thanks, Gab.

Clocking up posts is right! I think a big part of that is because I am SO glad to meet others who want to go home as well and a good number of them have the same feelings and thoughts about their situation as I have kept bottled up inside me for 30 years. It's very therapeutic to share them with others.

Ooohh!! Yet another one for Somerset or close by. I love this idea!!! We could all meet up!
Old Dec 10th 2010, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
That is so sad - about your wife's dad. The same thing happened with my mum. She died in 1991. It's a long story and I don't want to bore you with the details, but to put it briefly, I didn't get back to see her before she died. I managed to get back for the funeral - it was hard - I had just applied for my Green Card and you know the way the INS takes your passport and you can't really travel (at least they did back then). I had problems getting back there and had to contact a lawyer in New York. When my father got ill 6 years later I was able to spend a few months with him and was there when he died. Even now, I still panic about the thought of not having a passport and always feel nervous when I have to send it off for renewal. Maybe that is the reason I have never applied for US citizenship, although that is my New Year's resolution - I am going to apply in January. It's something I have been procrastinating about for too long.
I am so sorry to hear the news about your wife's father's passing, FnC. My dad died in 2004 and I didn't even find out until 2006. I have come to terms with it but I hadn't seen him since 1989 and I wanted to see him one more time.

I wasn't in touch with my father towards the end. I had been sending him over $500 a month for five years and when I lost that very good job I mentioned, I could no longer afford to do it. I was so embarrassed I lost touch with him. Today, I am glad I could send him that money while I was able to.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dunroving

yeah...what he said..!!!..
Old Dec 10th 2010, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DDL
Actually, no, I've never been there ... but I have met Fanny!
My "hobby" is tea - I started the Tea in London tours and I have written ay so that I could pop into Fortnum and Mason to meet both of them in person. I brought along some "American Classic Tea" for each of them - tea that was grown in South Carolina (where I was living at the time).
I don't know if Fanny even remembers it but what a coincidence that you went to her Farm Shop!
Denise the Tea Lover

/c
Hi Denise - Just a few snippets about Typhoo Tea in particular - you may not be aware of. My Mother, was a printer by trade, and at the age of 16, was working for Typhoo Tea, (in Needless Alley, Birmingham) during the 14/18 War - and used to boastfully tell me - they got a daily morning ''Tea break'' before there was even thought of it, in any other industry. She said they were a very good company to work for, and were allowed 15 minutes, sitting outside in the street, to drink it. (However, I have since read that they paid pittance wages, to the Tea Workers, who grew it, in Ceylon India)
Do you remember, or are you aware of the Grey & Red boxes, it was packed in? Oh! - and I do have a Typhoo Teapot.(Black, with removable filter, for the leaves) dontheturner

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.