Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 8th 2010, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
. A place to live for the next 6 months at least, a decent community - and best of all, I got the feeling on Monday night - that I did not want to leave. Hopefully - I have found my home.
Thanks for the report. You move fast! Moving so soon. I look forwards to your pics.
How was the train ride? Was it crowded, clean, fast?
Old Dec 8th 2010, 2:34 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney, just give your son time. It sounds as though he is still in a lot of pain but the fact that he came to see you means he wants you in his life. Be gentle with him and he will come round.

Rosie, so glad to hear about Frome. It sounds so wonderful that I looked it up (ashamed to say I have never even heard of it). From the photos it looks just beautiful and reminds me very much of Kendal. Glad you found a place you love - and you already made a new friend!
Old Dec 8th 2010, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hello Trotty,
I have a Doctors appointment for tomorrow, first I see the nurse and she is going to give me a flu shot, and then in the afternoon I see the Doctor, I got in right away cause I have bad Excima --- skin problem on my feet, Im hoping he will refer me to a dermatologist
take care,
Rodney.
I paid $9 or £5.71 yesterday for a haircut. I'll pop over there next time and save some money.

Thank you for your posting.
How did it go going through Immigration at Heathrow?
Was your flight full?
On that skin problem on your feet. Do you do a real good job of drying your feet with the towel because I had that problem recently and thats how I solved it. Another way is put talcom or baby powder on your feet and the skin problem may go away over night. (Now lets see my medical consultation fee is only $250)
I have forgotten. How old is your Mom?
Cheers
Post soon.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Here are the photos I took of Frome, Somerset: http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandwoman/sets/
Priceless.
Are those pictures of your Studio with the bathroom and all.
You have some pictures of doors? Are they doors of interest or to your new place.
The picture of the rail station is kind of gloomy but it maybe because of the light (shade).
I could look at those pictures all day long.
I want to put them in a book form but I know..copyright and all that
thanks again.
Cheers
Old Dec 8th 2010, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DDL
His job is with the Runnymede Borough Council in Addlestone. The job I want is in Weybridge, so we're looking to move in that general area.

His brother used to live in Addlestone and it's not too far from here so he's somewhat familiar with it, but we haven't spent any time yet looking around to see what's available by way of accommodation other than a cursory search on RightMove.co.uk.

We'll probably wait to see if I get the Weybridge job before we think about making any kind of a move. But if I don't get it, at least I can now concentrate my job hunt in a specific area, and there are some brilliant UK headquarters of some major international companies in Weybridge.

By the way, thanks for the nudge.
I looked those towns up and they are about 25 miles south of where your MIL lives? On the M25.
Expensive. A little bit more than our goal of £600 per month.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Here are the photos I took of Frome, Somerset: http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandwoman/sets/
Did you look at this place?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-23491760.html
Old Dec 8th 2010, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

Tanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really nice

Originally Posted by J.J
Hello, (posted this in another thread but in case some didn't see it) I recently enquired of a UK/US tax preparer, an independent, not one of the big Co's, here in the UK to prepare our tax for 2010, our first filing since we got back

US prep & Filing £ 1,000 + VAT in 1st year, £700 + VAT thereafter
UK prep & filing £ 650 +VAT

The quote made no indication they would implement any strategy, merely they would fill in the paperwork and send it.

Another smaller Co didn't bother to quote, merely said they would make an appointment for me in April 2011 immediately prior to the filing deadline and that I should bring my previous filing, hmm, didn't fill me with a lot of confidence they would do much to earn their money.
Gosh J.J., That's unbelievably expensive! It's worth taking a course here in tax preparation........
Tanto
Old Dec 8th 2010, 5:18 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello to everyone! Here's a wrap-up on what we've been up to. This is going to be long, so pour yourself a cuppa and grab a Custard Cream. Nay, a package of Custard Creams.

JOB SEEKER'S ALLOWANCE
Tony had been drawing Job Seeker's Allowance of about 62 quid a week which is for a single person. I was not eligible to draw as my Settlement Visa said "no recourse to public funds" BUT because he was married, I still have to report with him and we both have to show our job seeking efforts, etc. We had been reporting every 2 weeks but now we have to go in every week. It's a pain in the you-know-what, too, because there's absolutely no parking in, at or near the building so it means a brisk walk from the nearest parking lot, but hey ho, 62 quid is 62 quid.

JOBS
However.....don't think we'll be needing it any longer as Tony's been offered a job with Runnymede Borough Council. They haven't given him a start date yet. He will be their Planning Enforcement Officer. It's full-time, permanent, and £16,000/year LESS than he was making at the council (another council) when we left the UK to move to the US. A killer, that is. But with no job offers for the past 4 months, he jumped at this opportunity. I also think he's looking forward to the career change (he's been working in IT as a Web Developer/Programmer for about 10 years). He was an Estate Manager many moons ago, and has a lot of other relevant experience to this job, so I think the change will do him good. (He loves forcing people to obey the law. )

I've still not been invited to one single interview despite putting in for scores of Legal Secretary jobs. I had widened my scope to include other Admin type jobs, but a position has come up in Weybridge that I really, really want. It's a Legal Secretary job in the Legal Department of JTI - Japan Tobacco International. BIG corporation, which is what I love. I think I am extremely qualified having worked in corporate law before. The only thing that could potentially work against me is that I used to work for the American law firm that was the very first firm to take on the tobacco companies and the firm that won those huge settlements against them...but that was years ago and I did not work for them at that specific time. But I can assure you that when they look at my CV, they will recognize the name of that firm!! Anyhoo, there are 9 of us whose CV's have been presented to them and they will choose 3 to interview. Hoping to hear something by the end of this week.

LONDON
Several weeks ago on a Sunday I took the tube into London and met an online friend (from Twitter). She writes for About.com and we went on a Tea walk together done by London Walks. It was brilliant, and just really nice to be with another woman talking "girl talk". I really need a girlfriend! My best friend back home will always be my best friend, but I think the friendships of women are so important in our lives, at least they have been in mine. I'm sure once I start working, getting out, etc., I will meet a kindred soul sister.

EYE EXAMS
We had eye exams the other day. Went to the local Specsavers. Tony's exam was free because he has diabetes, but he had to pay for his glasses. (Well, they did have some NHS frames that would have been free, but they were pretty naff.) He ended up getting one pair of verifocal glasses, and a second pair for close-up work and it cost him £115. And that was for 2 pair of glasses with top-of-the-line frames.

Because I was married to someone on Job Seeker's Allowance, I was also entitled to a free exam and was entitled to a voucher towards the purchase of glasses. I ended up getting 2 pair of reading glasses (one for home, one for work) AND a pair of long-distance glasses (which I did not need, but she said they would be great for watching telly) ... all for £32.

PRESCRIPTIONS
Tony gets free prescriptions because he has diabetes. He takes a total of 12 tablets a day for various things and at different times of day. It's always been a bit of a pain every week for me to dole out his tabs in one of those plastic weekly medicine containers. We found out that with a "batch" prescription from the doctor, selected Boots shops will - for free - pre-package all your daily tabs into individual blister packs. We're going to start doing that in January and I think it's a brilliant service that, I believe, is available to anyone.

COMPUTERS
I am still using my US Acer Aspire netbook and have no complaints.

Tony finally broke down and decided to purchase a computer over here. The old (8 years, at least) UK laptop he was using was just about to give up the ghost. His dilemma was ... buy a laptop or buy a PC. He already had a wireless keyboard and mouse, and he knew what size system he was looking for and what brand he was NOT looking at, so he ended up just buying a CPU.

We were finding, however, that decent sized monitors were extremely expensive.

Well, one day we were in Tesco and the very helpful young man there in the Electronics Department (who had helped us in the past and who really knows his stuff) reminded us that there was currently a Double Points promotion on Tesco vouchers, as well as a sale on TELEVISIONS.

To make a long story short, using our Tesco vouchers (we signed up for a Tesco club card as soon as we got here) we ended up paying £140 for a 22" HD TV with built-in DVD player and Freeview, that has a VGA port which at the moment is now serving as Tony's computer monitor. Later, once we move, it will be our television, and at that time he can think about getting a proper monitor or, depending upon the price, maybe just another television to use as a monitor. It's a great alternative to a monitor which, like I said, seem to be way over-priced for what you get.

IMMIGRATION
I received my ILR (Indefinite Leave to Remain - i.e., Permanent Residency) last week at The Home Office in Croydon. £1,250!!! In 3 years, when I am eligible for British Citizenship, it will cost me another £780, plus £77.50 for a British passport.

CHRISTMAS
I've done all of my Christmas shopping online for my family/friends back home and it couldn't have been easier. You can even order restaurant gift cards online, Visa or American Express gift cards online, grocery store gift cards online, etc.

Soon, we're down to Devon for a few days where we will be met by Tony's children/grandchildren. We've rented a big Georgian house that is situate on a dairy farm. There will be 17 of us and we can't wait!

We've decided to give one another year-long National Trust memberships for Christmas. "The gift that keeps on giving."

MISC
Today, I treated myself to an hour long pedicure (£40) and an "express" manicure (£15, on sale) at a local health club. Also had a haircut (shampoo, style, blow dry) yesterday (£32). Extremely satisfied with all.

SUPPER
Chicken Cashew with Egg Fried Rice, courtesy of Tesco.

Sorry this has been so long, but there was a lot I wanted to share! Now, it's off to the kitchen!
Old Dec 8th 2010, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone. I went to Frome on Monday, and returned last night. It was a lovely little town, with all the basic amenities. The people I met were friendly - only problem, when I was talking to the older folks, I could hardly understand them. In fact, the first man who gave me directions sounded like he was in a 'Two Ronnies' skit, as the only thing I understood was his hand waving in the air and 'bump'. That was to tell me that Catherine Hill was around the corner and over the hill...

I stayed in The Blue Boar Inn, which is a pub that leases a Grade 2* building on a nearby street, and rents rooms as a B & B. I stayed in a room with 4 single beds and a shower room the size of a regular bedroom. It was clean, but not in the least bit elegant - £40 per night, including English breakfast and 'entertainment' provided by the cook who was also the Publican. She was a local person and gave me lots of tips for living in the area.

I saw two places to rent - one was a house share with the nicest artist, and we made friends but decided not to be housemates. Instead, I took a small studio flat, complete with a decent kitchen and a shower room. It is on the main road unfortunately, but is in a 17th century building, has a nice aspect to the rear of the building, lots of light, electric heating/shower, fully furnished, and is very close to town and the Public Library. I move in next Wednesday, December 15th. The Lettings Agent will meet me and all my many bags at the railway station - Frome or Bath, whichever I choose to use, and take me to my new place. How's that for service. Of course, I had to pay a Lettings fee, so I am capitalising on that fact with the extra service!

The two days were very cold and damp ones, and it snowed a little bit overnight on Monday night, so the roads were slick. Bee had already told me that the cobbled streets are lethal in the wet weather, and she is not wrong. Which is one of the reasons I chose not to have the house share - it is in the historic part of town, up a little hill, and a slip and slide event. I took about 150 photos, most of which are being loaded onto Flickr as we speak, and will be accessible to anyone who wants to look at them in about a half hour.

Frome is a small town, a market town, with a thriving artists colony of sorts. Theatre, music, painting, pottery, galleries. There is an Arts Festival each year. I brought back many leaflets to look at over the next few days. The buildings are unreal - nothing is straight! There are some newer buildings dotted about, and apparently, whenever a new development goes in, a percentage of the buildings have to be available as rentals. There is local work in the hospital, a community college, cleaning firm and other sorts of stuff. In the town I could see Solicitors, many independent stores, a real greengrocers, a bakers, tea rooms, cafe, The George which does meals at reasonable prices, and also has an hotel side to it.

That about sums it up - I got what I went for, and more. A place to live for the next 6 months at least, a decent community - and best of all, I got the feeling on Monday night - that I did not want to leave. Hopefully - I have found my home.

Hello Rosie.

Thanks for the update, I love your descriptions and pics, the mail box hanging on the lamp post is awesome, as is the Cold Cold River, there are so many lovely pics, it gets me all excited, It looks like you may have found your place, I hope so, I'm so thrilled for you.

This is such a lovely change from when you first got back and was considering returning to the USA.

My wife has no real interest in this forum but occasionally I will read something to her, for example Ed's previous posts or Rods return last week, I just read your post to my wife and while reading the last paragraph I had tears on my eyes, I suppose that sez it all.

Last edited by Fish n Chips 56; Dec 8th 2010 at 6:00 pm.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Denise2,
I read every word of that. Thanks. I've got Diabetes 2, too.
Not much reported on the transport costs? How often have you been tanking up? How much?
When does Tony start work?
Have you looked at any places yet.
Is your favorite place to shop Tesco?
Cheers
Old Dec 8th 2010, 6:23 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by cheers
Denise2,
I read every word of that. Thanks. I've got Diabetes 2, too. Not much reported on the transport costs? How often have you been tanking up? How much? When does Tony start work? Have you looked at any places yet. Is your favorite place to shop Tesco?
Cheers

Well, we're not working yet so are not putting too much mileage on the car, but we fill up every couple of weeks. We have a Renault Megane and it costs around £40.

No start date yet for Tony. He goes in tomorrow morning to meet everyone and fill out some more paperwork. Maybe they'll give him a start date then.

I had a brief look on RightMove.co.uk just to get an idea what's in Addlestone, but if I get the job in Weybridge we may want to live there...all a bit uncertain at this point. Neither place is "ideal", but for us, [relatively] easy access into London is what rocks our boat.

You know, Cheers, Tesco is most definitely not by favourite place to shop. I'd prefer Waitrose, but Tesco seems to be more affordable. Maybe once we're both working we can shop at Waitrose or Sainsbury's. But - not dissimilar to Wal-Mart - Tesco is everywhere.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 6:59 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Wow this thread sure moves on at a cracking pace!! You go to bed, get up and have to read 10 pages LOL!!

Well what a great read this morning, 3 yes 3 updates.

Rosie/Islandwoman - so glad it all worked out for you, how bizarre that this time last year I had been living in Frome for about 3 weeks, never even heard of it before and now there you are!! Sounds great about the studio apartment. I hope you enjoy your stay there, like I said it's not beautiful say like Bath but it's a nice enough little place and I found the locals to be friendly, though the accent took a bit of getting used to at first as you found out LOL!! Me dear!!

You can all see how Rosie followed in my footsteps, though my pics are nowhere near as good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/barbwindermere/

Rodney/Jasper123 - so good to hear from you and I am sure everybody on here is as happy as me to know you are OK being there, after so long away it is going to be quite the adjustment (for all of us). I am sorry your son was cold with you, but as Sally Simmons says, give him time, be kind and gentle with him, he DID come around to see you, so that is a start. Baby steps. Who knows you may end up having a decent relationship with him.

Rodney, do you know you are the top poster on this over 50's and 60's thread, I saw the stats the other day. You better hurry up and get a laptop as I think Dontheturner is trying to overtake you.

Denise/DDL I am glad you have been popping in just this last week with your updates. What a relief Tony has got the job, now it can only get better. Is there no temp work where you live? That's what I plan on doing when I get home God willing. Somehow it is easier to get a job when you have one, if you know what I mean but good luck with that job you really, really, really want BTW .

I cannot believe how much it cost for you to become a Brit!! And we get it for free!!

I have written on here about those blister packs from Boots for people who have to take multiple tablets and yes you are correct they are brilliant. They have just started with them here in Australia but you have to pay for the pack itself.

Well I am on the home stretch now folks 79 sleeps to go but who's counting??

Last edited by Beedubya; Dec 8th 2010 at 7:02 pm.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

DDL. Denise.

Started reading your post, enjoyed it so much I forgot to get the custards creams out.
You guys seem to be doing well and I'm glad you are, Love all the valuable info/tips, Tesco's etc.

Enjoy Devon, It will be wonderful.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 7:40 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Is there no temp work where you live? That's what I plan on doing when I get home God willing. Somehow it is easier to get a job when you have one, if you know what I mean but good luck with that job you really, really, really want BTW .

It appears that there's loads of temp work (I have been to a couple of agencies) but most of it is very, very short term. With just the one car between us, I'd have to find something accessible via public transport. Now that we know where Tony will be working, I may have to reconsider temping if nothing permanent for me crops up soon.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond repute

It was great to read the updates from everyone back in U.K.
So very interesting and informative. Makes me want to be there right now, especially Rodney and his Mum having a Fish and Chip supper,can't wait. We will be living with my son for a while when we eventually get home,he lives in Horndean so quite near to Rodney's mum,so will need to check out that chippy
I am gradually reading through all the post about returning to U.K. such a lot to take in.Does anyone one know anything about "International Parcel Services"
we will be just sending 3 or 4 boxes with personal stuff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.