Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 7th 2010, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by cheers
I'm waiting for the report from our reporter who left early this morning for Frome. She should be back by now.
Ohh, that's right!!!
Old Dec 7th 2010, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Jackie, and Windsong- What you need to do, is discover if the place you are settling, has a monthly Household Auction. Most counties have one. go on ''viewing day'' look at what you fancy, memorise the ''lot number'' decide what you can afford to get, Go and book in, on the day, Show them your cash, or card details, and then sit , till your interest item, comes up, and make your bid, starting low, and STOPPING before it gets to expensive. that is the way to go, for all sorts of things- inside or outside your home. Type in Household Auctions Shropshire,UK, and have a look, at the first few to come up - do expand their info, and see what is for sale next month - I wish, I was there, lovely round table and four chairs- ideal for the dining room. Remember, there is VAT @20% to pay too. dontheturner
Wow, Don! Tons of auctions came up when I searched on that. Lots of collectibles, too. This is going to be fun! It looks like decent quality items, too.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

These pages move far to fast.

I think it doesnt matter if you renounce your citzenship or not you still have to pay taxes. I will keep mine incase I need to come back having children here always makes a blurry line.

We had a fire up the road in the woods, for one moment I had this awful thought if the house burnt down we could get money but then I thought what little possessions I have left would get burnt so I would lose everything. The women across the road had thrown her cinders into the woods and they had caught fire, fortunately her neighbour was taking her dog for a walk and saw the flames. The fire department didnt take long to put it out. Just as well as it was very windy.

We are either going back to Lancashire or Cheshire. Still not sure am going to rent for a while to make sure which area I like best. I do like the Lake District and outside of Chester.
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...4_M46268-97062
This is my house if you want to buy it.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 2:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
That's why the IRS implanted themselves like a sore thumb in the British Embassy in London.

This world is becoming FAR too small a world these days.
Actually Englishmum posted that the IRS were in the US Embassy in London - not the British Embassy:

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Sorry, I can't answer your questions....but there is an Internal Revenue Service office within the US Embassy in London. There is some basic info here:

http://london.usembassy.gov/irs/index.html
Just wanted to make sure you were getting the correct information in regards to this issue - as it is obviously an important one
Old Dec 7th 2010, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue

I think it doesnt matter if you renounce your citzenship or not you still have to pay taxes. I will keep mine incase I need to come back having children here always makes a blurry line.

We had a fire up the road in the woods, for one moment I had this awful thought if the house burnt down we could get money but then I thought what little possessions I have left would get burnt so I would lose everything. The women across the road had thrown her cinders into the woods and they had caught fire, fortunately her neighbour was taking her dog for a walk and saw the flames. The fire department didnt take long to put it out. Just as well as it was very windy.

We are either going back to Lancashire or Cheshire. Still not sure am going to rent for a while to make sure which area I like best. I do like the Lake District and outside of Chester.
What a beautiful house Trotty..
Old Dec 7th 2010, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Trotty, it's really lovely! Will you be sad to leave it, do you think? Mind you, it's only a possession. It's not family, pets or loved ones
Old Dec 7th 2010, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lorac05
Actually Englishmum posted that the IRS were in the US Embassy in London - not the British Embassy:

Just wanted to make sure you were getting the correct information in regards to this issue - as it is obviously an important one
Ohh, I misread. I thought it was the UK embassy. Even though, the IRS needs to stay away from the UK lol!

(Of course, there wouldn't be a UK embassy in London lol!)
Old Dec 7th 2010, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

.We are either going back to Lancashire or Cheshire. Still not sure am going to rent for a while to make sure which area I like best. I do like the Lake District and outside of Chester.
Hello TT, No thank you - I do not wish to buy - I have one, we are not even going to try to sell - so about £30,000 down the toilet! Who would buy here? Only an old buffoon like me, from England. Thais have no cash - couldn't even pay for items they wanted! Hey! Lancashire or Cheshire - took Tim there to Chester, and also Southport - wouldn't mind either. as I love shops, and window shopping, and Markets very nice - good luck love don xx
Old Dec 7th 2010, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

That is shocking....who wouldnt kill for three acres (my doggies would kill for that kind of space) Your house and mine were built the same year. We purchased 11 years ago....now we will get less than we paid.

You know guys.....I am almost afraid to stay on this list. My psyche is very fragile right now.......I may sound ok.....but if I get attacked for a minor statement re my kids......I maybe don't have the skin to be here and by the way........I m totally political.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
That is shocking....who wouldnt kill for three acres (my doggies would kill for that kind of space) Your house and mine were built the same year. We purchased 11 years ago....now we will get less than we paid.

You know guys.....I am almost afraid to stay on this list. My psyche is very fragile right now.......I may sound ok.....but if I get attacked for a minor statement re my kids......I maybe don't have the skin to be here and by the way........I m totally political.
I am totally political, too - get rid of them all - right bunch of clowns!
Old Dec 7th 2010, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry apolitical
:0(
Old Dec 7th 2010, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

I wasnt attacking you or your kids I just asked a simple question, didnt mean to offend. You mentioned your husband was a total liberal and wouldnt take a penny from a penny dish. So I just wondered what being a liberal had to do with that..sorry.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

I would swop my house tomorrow for my Mums old terraced house in Hoole. The house means nothing to me. I never wanted it to begin with. But now I am stuck with it and have to keep it running smoothly so we can sell and buy something when we get home.

Wont attack you Celticspirit..Its the Irish in you I have kids that are on both sides of the coin makes interesting talk or non talk when we have dinners. My Dad was a strong Conservative and my brother was a Labourite. We use to have so much fun when I was young I was always on my Dads side and would make signs and stick them in the living room when my brother came. My brother was funny when he had no money he thought everything should be shared when he made money later in life he said he had earned it so he should keep it. wont say anymore

Talking about fragile if I hear "I'll be Home for Christmas" one more time I shall scream it always reduces me to tears. That song has plagued me ever since I came to the US.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

I would swop my house tomorrow for my Mums old terraced house in Hoole. The house means nothing to me. I never wanted it to begin with. But now I am stuck with it and have to keep it running smoothly so we can sell and buy something when we get home.

Wont attack you Celticspirit..Its the Irish in you I have kids that are on both sides of the coin makes interesting talk or non talk when we have dinners. My Dad was a strong Conservative and my brother was a Labourite. We use to have so much fun when I was young I was always on my Dads side and would make signs and stick them in the living room when my brother came. My brother was funny when he had no money he thought everything should be shared when he made money later in life he said he had earned it so he should keep it. wont say anymore

Talking about fragile if I hear "I'll be Home for Christmas" one more time I shall scream it always reduces me to tears. That song has plagued me ever since I came to the US.
I know what you mean about Christmas songs...thats all you hear all day, and the more you hear them the more alone you feel..
Old Dec 7th 2010, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

I am still wading through all the pages, you folks chat way too much. I shall have to put a hold on you all till I can catch up. Everytime I think I am getting close another 10 pages pop up.

Below is some of the information posted by helpful forum members if you want to bookmark it.

I have been going back over all the posts made and have reached page 200 I was intending on putting the information all in one post but I am worried I will lose all I have entered so I am posting the first of 3 information posts for those interested. Hope it helps. Perhaps later I will go back and combine them all.

Banking Information.....

http://www.lloydstsb.com/current_acc..._to_the_uk.asp
Bank information leaflet for returning to UK.
http://www.bba.org.uk/content/1/c4/3...eaflet2004.pdf

Applying for National Health Number.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...ts/DG_10014073

Fitted Sheet sizes.
http://www.platformbeds.com/translating_bed_sizes.html In the UK one chap has become very well known on TV and in other media for money saving tips (Martyn Lewis) and he has the website listed below:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

2) As to the suggestion someone posted about some sort of advice centre for the expats aged 50+ returning to the UK, perhaps SAGA may be interested and might even consider having a column in their magazine or on their website (it's an organisation for people aged 50+, I guess the N.American equivalent is the AARP - American Association for Retired Persons)

http://www.saga.co.uk/

Relocate Information Services.
http://www.ukrelocation.com/
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governme...eUK/DG_4000140

T.V. License.
http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/

Shopping:
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Home.h...os%26aqi%3Dg10
http://www.bhs.co.uk/
http://www.johnlewis.com/

Dogs on Cunard address:
Kennel Reservations
Phone: (800)-5-CUNARD/800-528-6273
Fax: (661)284-4749
Email: [email protected]
More dog information:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Shippi...Back_to_the_UK

pension information:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensions...it/DG_1001869

Post Office Information:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensions...it/DG_10018692
http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/p...diaId=9630077

Conversion Information 6months forecast.
http://forecasts.org/pound.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.