Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 6th 2010, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

Tanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really nice
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by jasper123
hello everyone,
well here i am in england,
you probably heard of the big freeze in uk well my plane couldn't land at gatwick on wednesday and diverted to heathrow, luckily my daughter was there to pick me up, we drove to Portsmouth and home with my Mum, oh it was so lovely to see the smile on my mums face when she saw me at her door,we hugged, daughter stayed for while we allhad a nice cup of tea and a chat, she took off after a while,
The first 3 days we were snowed in heavy snow and bad ice on all the roads and sidewalks, on Saturday we got out drove to the Lloyd's bank Iopened up a current account, no problem at all, just asked for ID I showed British passport and they did need my address here of course and my last address in the US and also if I still had a bank account in US and how much approximately in the account, not much im afraid
well im at the library now and using there computer, easy to join --- thanks Don your allowed sessions up to an hour each time,
Yes Rosie is right just like London --- Portsmouth is quite cold, but at least the snow has cleared now, lots of seagulls flying around i love it,
And well all I can say after only being back home for 5 days is I love being home, its great here, people are really friendly and helpful,
Tonight I am cooking dinner for me and Mum, --- sausages and mash with peas, shes been doing all the cooking so far so i need to give her a break,
well just a quick check in for now, hope everyone is ok and fine, thinking of you all, dont have enough time on the computer to read any posts sorry,
will check back in in a couple of days, take care ya all,
Rodney.
Fantastic, Rodney!
Wonderful to hear from you - we were all getting concerned.
When you have time on the internet you must check the day you left - I believe Cheers was actually flying your plane!
Hopefully we can all meet up at some point and have 'a nice cup of tea' together (or something stronger).
Take care and keep in touch from good old Blighty!!
Tanto
Old Dec 6th 2010, 10:01 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.J
me too on Greggs sausage rolls, yummy
Originally Posted by dontheturner
Non - Fattening, Of course! don.
I wish.
I will be on the look out for a Greggs shop now you have mentioned it. I dod love sausage rolls.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 10:02 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

This made me laugh, from the Manchester Evening News

Coronation Street's most dramatic episode ever had viewers reaching for a cuppa in their thousands.

A power surge hit the National Grid at 9pm, as people were left reeling from the massive gas explosion and tram crash that devastated the street.

Stuart Lark from the National Grid said: "You always get a surge in demand at the end of Corrie but tonight the surge was 800MW - which is equivalent to abut 300,000 kettles turned on at once."
Only in England!
Old Dec 6th 2010, 10:02 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
A pic for Cheers - is this how it was when you left??
Well you didn't ask for any mod cons in your place did you
Old Dec 6th 2010, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Because I grew up in Derry/Londonderry - whatever you want to call it. They've been fighting over the name for a few hundred years!
Interesting....why are they fighting over the name?
Old Dec 6th 2010, 10:05 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Hang on - what's this? A private party at Greggs Bakery??
think I got an invite a few pages back
I cannot believe you put a recorder in a basket LOL!!

But well done for doing that, at least you know where you stand......do you have Plan B worked out yet?
That was a smart Idea, I must remember this stuff
I am more the meat and potatoe pastie, or Cornish pastie type meself.
Well then maybe you can't come
Old Dec 6th 2010, 10:06 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by windsong
JJ - When I move to the UK, for how long do I have to keep filing US taxes? I'd like to forget I ever heard of the USA in that respect. I doubt I will ever get rid of the USA, though, because most of my income will come from here
If you have US citizenship you file forever So that will be me and Dh filing from our death beds to pay the man!
Old Dec 6th 2010, 10:12 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by cheers
Technicality here. You don't have to file if you don't make enough money to pay tax.

I should always include in my statements "I think"
You still have to file you just don't get taxed twice, and seeing we'll all be in UK they get first dibs on the tax. From what I read you have to be earning something like £80,000 a year to pay in both countries, so I doubt may of us will be paying the US anything, but if we want to keep getting our social security checks we might want to file and keep the feds happy. Also make sure to let the Social security administration know you have become a citizen, something to do with the amount of taxes taken out.They were talking about it in the US section here.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 10:18 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
This made me laugh, from the Manchester Evening News

Only in England!
That is so funny. I remember reading that theres always a power surge when it ends and every put the kettle on.

Nice to hear you made it back safe Rodney, if you go back a ways in this thread you may be alarmed to read everyone cyber stalking you plane HOUR BY HOUR all the way to UK
Old Dec 6th 2010, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
hello everyone,
well here i am in england,
you probably heard of the big freeze in uk well my plane couldn't land at gatwick on wednesday and diverted to heathrow, luckily my daughter was there to pick me up, we drove to Portsmouth and home with my Mum, oh it was so lovely to see the smile on my mums face when she saw me at her door,we hugged, daughter stayed for while we allhad a nice cup of tea and a chat, she took off after a while,
The first 3 days we were snowed in heavy snow and bad ice on all the roads and sidewalks, on Saturday we got out drove to the Lloyd's bank Iopened up a current account, no problem at all, just asked for ID I showed British passport and they did need my address here of course and my last address in the US and also if I still had a bank account in US and how much approximately in the account, not much im afraid
well im at the library now and using there computer, easy to join --- thanks Don your allowed sessions up to an hour each time,
Yes Rosie is right just like London --- Portsmouth is quite cold, but at least the snow has cleared now, lots of seagulls flying around i love it,
And well all I can say after only being back home for 5 days is I love being home, its great here, people are really friendly and helpful,
Tonight I am cooking dinner for me and Mum, --- sausages and mash with peas, shes been doing all the cooking so far so i need to give her a break,
well just a quick check in for now, hope everyone is ok and fine, thinking of you all, dont have enough time on the computer to read any posts sorry,
will check back in in a couple of days, take care ya all,
Rodney.
So glad you made it safely Rodney. You have been the topic of alot of posts..
I am happy you are having a great time, and everything worked out for you at the airport. We where stalking your plane, so we knew you where diverted...
Jackie
Old Dec 6th 2010, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

What I did when I first joined is I would jot down a little note about most people so I could remember each little "story" of course there weren't so many people coming and going then.

I still have the notes

AES = Anna - USA - UK - Malta

Jasper123 = Rodney - USA to UK

EasternDawn = Peigi - Canada to Scotland

Trotty True = TT - NH, USA to UK

Fish and Chips = Philip - Canada to UK

And so on, it saves mix ups though they do still happen as we are not getting any younger!!
Hey Bee,
You forgot me..

Jackie..
Old Dec 6th 2010, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
If you are a USC, then you have to file every year, forever. If you are an LPR, I think you have to file for a period of 5 years, or something like that.

FYI, pensioners in the UK have a larger tax-free allowance (check the Inland Revenue site for details) - not sure what age it kicks in, but may be 65, I think. However, on the income you said you would get in your other posts, I am pretty sure you will get taxed.
What is an LPR?

I am a naturalized citizen but I would give up the USA citizenship with no problem if it meant not paying taxes here.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

I am more the meat and potatoe pastie, or Cornish pastie type meself.
I LOVE cornish pasties. I can never leave England without having one...OMG..I cant wait to get some of that great English food.
Jackie
Old Dec 6th 2010, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Hello Sentosa.
Welcome to the thread, I have similar concerns, the thought of something major happening, It happens to someone every day, we just hope its not us.

Good luck to you both.
Helloooooooo..
Old Dec 6th 2010, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
What is an LPR?

I am a naturalized citizen but I would give up the USA citizenship with no problem if it meant not paying taxes here.
So would Bill Gates

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.